Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Neil Finn joins Fleetwood Mac

Re: Neil Finn joins Fleetwood Mac

That Big Love is phenomenal.

Not only is it a fantastic arrangement, there's an element of the performance that is almost primal - outside himself and letting go. It's brave, coragious and I love it.
    Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...

Quote Originally Posted by PhaseDance View Post
    That's Lindsey in a nutshell. I love that performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by RelayerI View Post
    That Big Love is phenomenal.

Not only is it a fantastic arrangement, there's an element of the performance that is almost primal - outside himself and letting go. It's brave, coragious and I love it.
    Agree 100% with you guys... Guy is a one of a kind energy ball of soul... I would have said "Hey Lindsey, whatever you want to do man!..." Makes me think someone really had it in for him. Not like they just didn't make a ton of money at the east/west shows and could have made a compromise with such an integral part of the band..? But something stinks here.

On the bright side, it will be interesting to hear Campbell and Finn in the Mac. Maybe not as good as the next Lindsey solo album, the guy is going to have something to prove! I'm telling ya, they need to run a rock and roll soap opera on all these dramatic bands like Yes, FM, Journey, and so on

Yes-East-West-Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Dantalion Rides Again View Post

I'm fascinated by this, and similarly by those who sort of shun the famous era of Pink Floyd. I think there's a weird parallel between those two bands' careers, but that's beside the point.

For me, I have actually the opposite experience with both bands, in that I continue to feel their best works ARE their famous ones. I even kind of WANT to prefer the underdog records, but the more I listen to the early 70s, the more I'm convinced this isn't gonna change for me. Except you know, you get sick of songs you hear too much. Eventually you don't spin Beatles albums as much, ya know?
    What about The Final Cut?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterCologne View Post
    It's great.

Floyd are 'Meddle' to 'Final Cut' for me. Or maybe 'Meddle' to 'Is This The Life We Really Want ?'

Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...

Yes-East-West-Fan

Quote Originally Posted by RelayerI View Post
    It's great.

Floyd are 'Meddle' to 'Final Cut' for me. Or maybe 'Meddle' to 'Is This The Life We Really Want ?'

Yes, ... your main-sequence is very fine… I like them from Ummagumma to The Final Cut, with the exception of The Wall, and with Animals being my favourite Floyd-Album... Amused To Death, Pros And Cons and the new Waters-Album being the best of the rest…

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

It's a work of genius.
    "If you slice me in two, I’m prog all the way through.”
    - Mr. Poms

https://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

Yes-East-West-Fan

Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    It's a work of genius.
    No doubt.

Sure, it's got big fans, like Meddle does, and both albums arguably deserve more credit than they get. But Final Cut is not a commercial smash, nor widely celebrated like those four, and that's my point. I happen to find that for me, the most famous four (including and especially The Wall) resonate with me more than the others. Respect to different opinions.

Regarding The Final Cut, I like it to a point but it really loses me in the last quarter of the album or so. In general it just sounds like a whole lot of effort. Meddle on the other hand sounds like a relaxed and happy way to do a record, as though it were just a day at the office that was actually just fine. I still don't think it's on par with that overly celebrated stretch, but it sure is great.

...with the exception of The Wall…
    My absolute favourite Floyd album.

Even when we agree, we don't !

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

So, is there any chance Neil will record with Fleetwood Mac? I would certainly be interested.

Mega Insane Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Dantalion Rides Again View Post
    Sure, it's got big fans, like Meddle does, and both albums arguably deserve more credit than they get. But Final Cut is not a commercial smash, nor widely celebrated like those four, and that's my point. I happen to find that for me, the most famous four (including and especially The Wall) resonate with me more than the others. Respect to different opinions.

Regarding The Final Cut, I like it to a point but it really loses me in the last quarter of the album or so. In general it just sounds like a whole lot of effort. Meddle on the other hand sounds like a relaxed and happy way to do a record, as though it were just a day at the office that was actually just fine. I still don't think it's on par with that overly celebrated stretch, but it sure is great.
    My favorite Pink Floyd album is Saucerful of Secrets, although the first I heard, in common with many I expect, was Dark Side of the Moon one lunchtime at school in 1973. I was 14. It was the same year I discovered Yes. I rather lost interest with The Wall. Still don't like it much. I've got The Pulse DVD which has some material from later albums. It's OK, good show. Gilmour is one of those guitarists one can instantly identify, very distinctive style and tone, not at all flashy, which is a good thing. With both The Wall and Final Cut, Waters' ideological preoccupations became much more prominent, and while I share some of his views to some extent, I found they got in the way of the music and the rest of the band for me, and musically those albums just tire me out.
    I think my first introduction to their music pre-Moon must have been the Pompeii film, still one of my favourite concert films, despite the absence of an audience. I think I saw it with Crystal Voyager, which uses Echoes, in its entirety I think. Haven't seen that for years. I think it's probably on YouTube. From Pompeii I went to Meddle, Atom Heart Mum, Saucerful, and the others, so from the first to Animals is my Floyd era. Saucerful remains my favourite though. It was issued in the early 70s with Piper as a double album called A Nice Pair. That was my first copy of it. Loved it straight off, unequivocally. I also bought, at budget price, the Relics compilation. Still got that. I think I bought that and Gong's Camembert Electrique, also budget-priced, at the same time around 1973 or 4, from Asda supermarket near my school.

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ceasar's Palace View Post
    So, is there any chance Neil will record with Fleetwood Mac? I would certainly be interested.
    There's been talk about doing just that - developing a couple songs prior to the tour for them to play during the tour, maybe doing another EP or an album next year. Which just goes to underscore how much Stevie did not want to make another album with Lindsey.
    "If you slice me in two, I’m prog all the way through.”
    - Mr. Poms

https://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7