Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Neil Finn joins Fleetwood Mac

Does not share his porridge Discount Ministry's Avatar

Re: Neil Finn joins Fleetwood Mac

Princess Leia is dead, I know this because Disney took her off my new classic Star Wars t-shirt. You die one minute and they forget you...
    If I don't really exist then at over 10,700 posts my nothingness has longevity, if not serious mojo.

Just grab a Sharpie and draw Stevie where Leia used to be, your old shirt will be back in action and nobody will be able to tell it's Stevie.

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dantalion Rides Again View Post
    I have maintained a decently studious and dedicated fandom of this band recently, especially because of the appearance of the Buckingham McVie LP. My personal hypothesis is that LB refused to tour without recording one last album, and that Princess Leia I mean Stevie Nicks won't studio w LB.
    As have I, over many years. You're correct about Stevie refusing to record with Lindsey (and it's very telling, now that he's out of the picture, they're all talking about new music). But no, he was expecting to tour, he said as much to fans the day after the MusiCares tribute. What he wanted to do was fit solo shows between FM shows on the upcoming tour and they didn't want to allow him to do that. That has been verified by a few people on the inside.
    "If you slice me in two, I’m prog all the way through.”
    - Mr. Poms

https://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

Whatever the final straw, this band ain't functional. The documentary about Say You Will says it all.

Agreed; and when I considered what I saw in the EPK for BuckVie in light of what just happened? It's tragic.
    But I will say that although I'm still upset and won't give them my money, I will be watching the videos obsessively because I Like Mike (a whole lot) and I want to see how he fits himself into The Machine.
    - Mr. Poms

Here today...

Frankly, what bothers me more is that mucking around with Fleetwood Mac will distract Neil Finn from more important things.

It's interesting, because there's a whole subset of fans who feel that way about both New Guys - "Do they have to get involved in that whole soap opera masquerading as a band? What about *insert project here*?!"
    - Mr. Poms

Does not share his porridge Discount Ministry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dantalion Rides Again View Post
    Just grab a Sharpie and draw Stevie where Leia used to be, your old shirt will be back in action and nobody will be able to tell it's Stevie.
    No, that was thirty bucks.
    If I don't really exist then at over 10,700 posts my nothingness has longevity, if not serious mojo.

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Frankly, what bothers me more is that mucking around with Fleetwood Mac will distract Neil Finn from more important things.
    Neil has wasted time on projects before. Like when he formed an ‘avant garde’ type duo with his wife. That was pretty bad.
    But his most recent project was making a record with a choir and orchestra and it is great.
    Maybe he’ll donate a good tune to Fleetwood Mac. They’ve failed to impress me after Tusk.

Strange band with a strange and convoluted history, but some excellent records over all the years. Even Behind The Mask worked to a certain extent - maybe a step back artistically but they wrote and recorded it as a band, and the enthusiasm carried them forward. But then there was Time ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ceasar's Palace View Post
    Like when he formed an ‘avant garde’ type duo with his wife. That was pretty bad.
    Pyjama Club ? I saw them live. Quite enjoyed it too - not his greatest work, certainly, but interesting.

Haven't purchased the C.D. though...
    Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RelayerI View Post
    Pyjama Club ? I saw them live. Quite enjoyed it too - not his greatest work, certainly, but interesting.

Haven't purchased the C.D. though...
    Maybe I’m just too old fashioned, I just didn’t get it, or even want to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceasar's Palace View Post
    Neil has wasted time on projects before. Like when he formed an ‘avant garde’ type duo with his wife. That was pretty bad.
    But his most recent project was making a record with a choir and orchestra and it is great.
    Maybe he’ll donate a good tune to Fleetwood Mac. They’ve failed to impress me after Tusk.
    Tango in the night is the last good Mac album for me
    Chris Squire RIP 1948-2015 thank you for every album every song every moment... the world will truly never be the same again.
    Yes is Steve Howe Geoff Downes Jon Davison Billy Sherwood Alan White Jay Schellen and Tony Kaye and they have my support.
    GTT

Mega Insane Yesfan

I grew up with Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, and then Albatross was one of those slow tunes you experimented smooching to during a slow dance at school discos. Rites of Passage, and all that.
    By the time Rumours came out I'd assumed the band had broken up some years earlier, and it came as a surprise. I bought it pretty much on release, having heard the single Go Your Own Way on the radio. Obviously it was massively successful commercially, but after not very long its West Coast frothiness lost its appeal and I forgot about it. I didn't buy any of their albums after that, or make any effort to hear any. They had their new generation of fans over here of course, but I think it was very much a North American phenomenon. It's not a style of popular music I have much interest in, then or now.

Stevie Nicks is a godess, Lindsey Buckingham is a genius, Christine McVie is a fantastic keyboard player, songwriter and a local girl ! Mick Fleetwood and John McVie are a rhythm section...
    Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...

They're actually a great rhythm section. I mean, I think their best days are in the rearview but they've had some amazing moments.
    - Mr. Poms

Whatever Stevie wants, Stevie gets... and she has a voice lots of people like. Also brought in her pal from The Heartbreakers... Buckingham was/is a huge musical force. But apparently doesn't hold the cards. And Christine has the voice of an angel... Will be interesting for sure to hear the new Mac, but there is only one Lindsey:

Yep. There's the theory that she and Mike are acting out on their grief - although in Mike's case I can understand the impulse to hide within the circus, so to speak. It's just like when Stevie married her best friend's widower for three months.
    - Mr. Poms

Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    As have I, over many years. You're correct about Stevie refusing to record with Lindsey (and it's very telling, now that he's out of the picture, they're all talking about new music). But no, he was expecting to tour, he said as much to fans the day after the MusiCares tribute. What he wanted to do was fit solo shows between FM shows on the upcoming tour and they didn't want to allow him to do that. That has been verified by a few people on the inside.
    You know, it occurs to me that this still fits my theory - maybe the solo record he's worked up was initially intended as FMc material? If I were LB and annoyed that the band wasn't making new material, I might just become difficult and want to book solo dates for new music alongside the FM tour dates, on the premise that new material is a priority. I'd be shocked if they didn't disagree about making a record together. The B/McV record's existence sure suggests to me that some of them wanted a new record.

Maybe I just want that to be the story, who knows. This is really just my speculation, but it's largely based on what I learned from the Say You Will doc, about how they all interact. And based on how annoying it is that the classic 5 didn't make another record while they had the chance (hmm sounds like another band I listen to).

Quote Originally Posted by Discount Ministry View Post
    No, that was thirty bucks.
    Expensive Sharpie!

Quote Originally Posted by Rabin105 View Post
    Tango in the night is the last good Mac album for me
    Two FM albums I've not heard much of are Behind the Mask and Time ... those seem to be the sketchy era ... but if you haven't heard them, I think both Say You Will and Buckingham/McVie have very strong moments and sound pretty great sonically. Especially this new one, some excellent tracks. I'd say it's great; maybe I wouldn't say Say You Will is great. But it is still good.

Quote Originally Posted by Don the Cap View Post
    I grew up with Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, and then Albatross was one of those slow tunes you experimented smooching to during a slow dance at school discos. Rites of Passage, and all that.
    By the time Rumours came out I'd assumed the band had broken up some years earlier, and it came as a surprise. I bought it pretty much on release, having heard the single Go Your Own Way on the radio. Obviously it was massively successful commercially, but after not very long its West Coast frothiness lost its appeal and I forgot about it. I didn't buy any of their albums after that, or make any effort to hear any. They had their new generation of fans over here of course, but I think it was very much a North American phenomenon. It's not a style of popular music I have much interest in, then or now.
    I'm fascinated by this, and similarly by those who sort of shun the famous era of Pink Floyd. I think there's a weird parallel between those two bands' careers, but that's beside the point.

For me, I have actually the opposite experience with both bands, in that I continue to feel their best works ARE their famous ones. I even kind of WANT to prefer the underdog records, but the more I listen to the early 70s, the more I'm convinced this isn't gonna change for me. Except you know, you get sick of songs you hear too much. Eventually you don't spin Beatles albums as much, ya know?

So not to be contrarian, just expressing that, for me, I sort of wish I liked Future Games as much as Rumors or Mirage, but I'd be lying to myself. I'm actually a little envious of those that like this obscure material more. Maybe it's from growing up on 80s pop radio and Beatles records, but I like the style and production of the classic lineup of FMc. Same with Floyd; no matter how I've tried, I just gotta hand it to the big four PF albums '73-'79. Just such huge record-making and songwriting feats.

I know this is a multi-quote post, but this feeling I have about preferring the famous material against my grain really had to come out, and is the impetus for this sprawling post I'm writing instead of working over on that other <- monitor you can't see.

I appreciate reading the entirely opposite take, even though it's hard for me to fathom.

Quote Originally Posted by RelayerI View Post
    Stevie Nicks is a godess, Lindsey Buckingham is a genius, Christine McVie is a fantastic keyboard player, songwriter and a local girl ! Mick Fleetwood and John McVie are a rhythm section...
    Aw man, Mick and John are so distinctive! They've got a distinct sound, and everyone dances at least a little. And it's their band, despite how much of the cards are held by Nicks.. Stevie Nicks reminds me of difficult in-laws, but all will be forgiven if she gets to play Leia in IX. I know I'm starting to sound like Danny when he's trying to recruit Hillary Duff into Yes. I don't know who that is.

This band's personnel is incredible. I think they're all fascinating personalities and distinctive musicians, and I love it when that's the case with a band. I've recently developed huge appreciation for Peter Green too, and some for Welch and Kirwan also ... not that big on Spencer or the 90s fellas so far.

Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    They're actually a great rhythm section. I mean, I think their best days are in the rearview but they've had some amazing moments.
    Yeah I'd reckon they're a very well respected and celebrated rhythm section, as rock rhythm sections go.

Perfectly cromulent

Quote Originally Posted by somissound View Post
    Whatever Stevie wants, Stevie gets... and she has a voice lots of people like. Also brought in her pal from The Heartbreakers... Buckingham was/is a huge musical force. But apparently doesn't hold the cards. And Christine has the voice of an angel... Will be interesting for sure to hear the new Mac, but there is only one Lindsey:

That's Lindsey in a nutshell. I love that performance.
    A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast