Google

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Almost yes songs...

Almost yes songs...

I did a thread a while back on almost yes members and almost yes lineups but here I want to discuss how many songs nearly sound up on a Yes album but didn’t and wound up on another band or artists album...

I know people think that is impossible but here is a list

Catherine of Aragon originally released on Six wives of henrry the eighth was supposed to be on Fragile
    The More I look originally released on Open the door was supposed to be released in the 1989 Yes album with Hodgson had he agreed to replace Jon
    Fortune Hunter originally released on the Mean Business by the firm and when would it of been released by Yes probably during the Keys time but any album between 90125- Heaven & Earth I suppose could of been fair game
    Days originally released on the Song of Seven album by Jon Anderson would of been released on the 79 Paris album
    Say Goodbye originally released on Euphoria by World Trade would of been on the 1990 Yes album with Sherwood on lead vocals had Sherwood agreed
    Some are Born originally released on song of seven album by Jon Anderson would of been on that Paris album
    Everybody loves you originally released on song of seven by Jon Anderson would of been on that darn Paris album

I feel that is a decent list to get started I am sure I missed a bunch but does anyone else have one or two or more then likely twelve tracks to add lol
    Chris Squire RIP 1948-2015 thank you for every album every song every moment... the world will truly never be the same again.
    Yes is Steve Howe Geoff Downes Jon Davison Billy Sherwood Alan White Jay Schellen and Tony Kaye and they have my support.
    GTT

Re: Almost yes songs...

The main vamp of “Friend of a Friend,” recorded in Paris in 1979 with producer Roy Thomas Baker, seemingly became the basis for “Hello Again,” the lead song on the Cars’ Heartbeat City. Baker had produced the Cars’ 1979, 1980, and 1981 albums. Heartbeat City, from 1984, was produced by Robert John “Mutt” Lange.

Pianist/Pandemoniumist pianozach's Avatar

You could certainly add Song of Innocence from Alan White's Ramshackled to that list. White/Anderson/Howe are all on that one.

Squire's Fish Out of Water too. It has Bill Bruford all over it. And Pat Moraz on Silently Falling.
    ---Pianozach---

". . . Be the change you wish to see in the world." —Ghandi

http://www.pianozach.com/ under re-construction
    http://www.macjams.com/artist/bigidea
    and a new MacJams page: http://www.macjams.com/artist/pianozach

bobby dread

Side One of Wakeman's "Criminal Record" : Statue of Justice, Crime of Passion, and "Chamber of Horrors" all feature Squire on bass and White on drums. Recorded in Montreux Switzerland, right after GFTO was recorded. The great YES Power Trio that never was !

White and Squire had complete control over their parts, so it really was a group effort on those tracks. Plus the same pipe organ from AWAKEN is used on "Judas Iscariot" on Side 2 !

bobby dread

Another Wakeman rarity, "FARANDOL", from an oddball album called "Classical Connection 2".

Almost a YES song because it was recorded in 1971, and has all three of Howe, Squire, and White playing on it ! :

bobby dread

Here's one with Jon on vocals, Howe on guitar, and White on drums....here's the original promo from The Old Grey Whistle Test :

Yes-East-West-Fan

The fine Moraz/Bruford-albums at least are albums with 100% Yes-musicians on it

Quote Originally Posted by PeterCologne View Post
    The fine Moraz/Bruford-albums at least are albums with 100% Yes-musicians on it
    Gawd. I bought the first Bruford/Moraz LP Music for Piano and Drums "sight-unheard" back in the day.

Sounded like a big joke to me. A lot of improvised noodling from both of them. I really expected something far more polished from the two of 'em. After Relayer, The Story of i and Out in the Sun from Moraz, Music for Piano and Drums was a real disappointment.
    ---Pianozach---

dreamland connecticut. to the left of the garden of geda

I would love to hear a 20 minute epic yes style version of Gordon lightfoot's " the wreck of the Edmund fitzgerald "... I have told Billy this a few times... he always smiles and says "I like that song"... how could you not, it's a spooky seafaring classic :)

and would love to hear AWR do a version of " I can see clearly now" by Johnny Nash....

with Jon singing most of it but having Trevor come in with strong vocals and guitar when the part of the song goes into that..." look all around, there's nothing but blue skies, look straight ahead, nothing but blue skies"... kinda like the way Jon and Trevor shard vocals in Hearts and Changes.

I think it would sound beautiful.... strong and uplifting like parts of Miracle of life and hold on.

I think the way Yes rerecorded "America" shows how they can really take a song on a journey in a fun way, Imagine Yes re working these tunes, take a listen and imagine Yes getting there hands on it..

Song #1
    The newscaster would be a great opening to billy's bass pedals and Steve Fender slide to open the tune... :)

[IMG][/IMG]

song#2
    I can here Jon and Rabin all over this... I have asked Jon in the past to cover this song... maybe three times and he always says the same thing to me...he loves that song...

how could you not... so many people love that song and makes them feel good. maybe it's just me... but I think it would be great, and if the production was how I think it should be...Trevor coming in at the "blue sky" part would be epic... :) with those glorious harmoines and heavy electric guitar...in a huge way, Trevor and Jon would shine in that part like never before... and I'm sure Wakeman could do some cool Hammond organ stuff throughout the song..... I would love to hear it :)

[IMG][/IMG]
    imagine...
    Last edited by crotale2112; 04-02-2018 at 01:32 PM.

still undefined

Quote Originally Posted by pianozach View Post
    Gawd. I bought the first Bruford/Moraz LP Music for Piano and Drums "sight-unheard" back in the day.

Sounded like a big joke to me. A lot of improvised noodling from both of them. I really expected something far more polished from the two of 'em. After Relayer, The Story of i and Out in the Sun from Moraz, Music for Piano and Drums was a real disappointment.
    I totally disagree and only because the tour they did was total improv, except for those pieces that organically took shape between them; so I expected what I heard. But . . . I can understand being disappointed by what sounds far from reaching their collective potential.
    "Failure to prepare is preparing for Failure"-John R. Wooden

Mega Insane Yesfan

I bought Flags on the spur of the moment, and then the first one later. I thought they were both terrific. I liked the improvisatory nature of them, the sparseness. Despite this, there was a great deal going on, lots of textures, depth, invention, unusual timbres. They deserve a remaster and CD reissue, ideally as one disc.

Yes-East-West-Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Don the Cap View Post
    I bought Flags on the spur of the moment, and then the first one later. I thought they were both terrific. I liked the improvisatory nature of them, the sparseness. Despite this, there was a great deal going on, lots of textures, depth, invention, unusual timbres. They deserve a remaster and CD reissue, ideally as one disc.
    Yes, the Bruford-Moraz-collaboration is one of the most adventureous and musically challenging in the Yes-catalogue.

I've often said of all YES members, Bruford had the most interesting musical career.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterCologne View Post
    Yes, the Bruford-Moraz-collaboration is one of the most adventureous and musically challenging in the Yes-catalogue.
    Actually, I found Steve Howe's vocals on his first two solo albums far more "challenging".
    ---Pianozach---

Yes-East-West-Fan

Actually, I found Steve Howe's vocals on his first two solo albums far more "challenging".
    I like Steves voice, feels like it is coming straight from his heart.

And why shouldn't at least one Yessinger have a somewhat melancholic tone.

I think I got lucky. I bought Flags by Moraz & Bruford first. It’s pretty good. Then I bought MfP+D, and yeah, not so great. Maybe give Flags a listen?

bobby dread

I think to make this list, it should be songs with at least three YES members (current or former) on it (just sayin.....)

Tryin to think if there's any Billy Sherwood tunes that fit that requirement.......

Quote Originally Posted by carlmarx38 View Post
    I think to make this list, it should be songs with at least three YES members (current or former) on it (just sayin.....)

Tryin to think if there's any Billy Sherwood tunes that fit that requirement.......
    Well . . . that all depends. Does Jimmy Haun count? Does Jay Schellen count?

World Trade's second album, Euphoria (1995) had band members Sherwood and Schellen and guest Squire on two tracks (The Evolution Song and Say Goodbye).

Billy Sherwood's 1999 The Big Peace Has Sherwood, Jay Schellen, and Jimmy Haun on one song, Walking With the Rain.

The 2000 Conspiracy album has Squire, Sherwood, Alan White, and "Jimi" Haun on Love Conquers All, Squire, Sherwood, and White on Lonesome Trail. Four more tracks on the album have Jay Schellen playing; Days of Wonder No Rhyme, You're the Reason and Watching the World.

The follow-up Conspiracy album, The Unknown featured Squire, Sherwood and Schellen on all tracks, with Jimi Haun guesting on one

A band based on Squire, Sherwood and White toured under the name the Chris Squire Experiment and played pieces including "Lonesome Trail" and "Days of Wonder", but no release followed.

But the first Circa: album (2007) had Sherwood, Kaye, White and Haun. Trevor Rabin gets co-writing credit on two songs.

The second Circa: album, HQ (2009), had Sherwood, Kaye, Haun and Jay Schellen.

Sherwood's 2015 album Citizen has Chris Squire, Tony Kaye, Rick Wakeman, Geoff Downes, Pat Moraz and Jon Davison on it, but only one song has three: The title track, The Citizen has Sherwood, Squire and Kaye.
    ---Pianozach---

JR Yesfan

To the Rescue - Esquire, has Alan White on drums and Chris Squire on b Vox while being mixed by Trevor Horn?
    https://youtu.be/RFob2NYPwok

Quote Originally Posted by Don the Cap View Post
    Both titles are still available through Winterfold, Bill's retrospective label issued c 2004/5. I'm not sure they necessarily need a remaster. Cracking albums both of them. If you like these, the Bruford-Borstlap titles are worth investigating.
    Shut Up

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast