Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: #YES50 - releases this year?

Yesfan

Icon5 #YES50 - releases this year?

for #YES50 - what would you want released?

There's a compilation of some sorts coming this summer..any other things in the pipeline?

I would love to see a live dvd/blu ray box set with concerts from various line ups. I'm sure there are great stuff in the archives from all the different eras?

Re: #YES50 - releases this year?

Steven Wilson remix of Drama. Is that too much to ask?

I'd like Giles Martin to remix Tormato. The rest of the Yes canon sounds pretty good to my ears. Perhaps someone to give a warm sheen somehow to Talk, which is one of the greatest albums the band ever made, but it was an early direct to digital album made on early equipment and just has a slight, almost machine sound to it. I'm not sure you could do anything with the tracks. They're so pure and raw. I wouldn't want them muddy. If you dulled a few of the sharper edges perhaps, and warmed the focal tracks in some way, it may sound better, but it's really kind of nebulous, and someone would need to speak with Trevor and Jon about any dissatisfaction they might of had with it in retrospect, and guide the remix towards a more perfect tableau of sound, but really even Talk sounds pretty damn good, just as it is. I might like "Be the One" off of Keys a little more if it sounded like a professional recording instead of a demo, but that's just one song. Nobody's ever going to do that. Really, all we're lacking is Tormato. I think the Beatles "Love" and "Sgt. Pepper - 50th anniversery remix" are two of the best sounding albums I've ever heard by anyone. I don't know is Yes has any connection at all to Giles Martin, but if he was game, or if he's any kind of Yes fan, he might be the guy to could make Tormato sound pretty decent.

I've always thought that Tormato is stoked up heavily with some of their greatest songs. But is just an awfully mixed and mastered record. Besides remixing, I wouldn't mind if they called in Rick with some better instruments to re-record his parts.
    Drifting endlessly,

Peace, SteveR

http://www.myspace.com/skroehr

And the Spiders from Mars Frumious B's Avatar

I’d be interested in a Tormato remix, but no Giles Martin involvement please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Love is bigger than anything in its way.”-U2

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pat 2 View Post
    If he doesn't want to do it, then yes, it is.

I'd love some kind of YesWest-specific archival release but I don't know how likely that is.
    "If you slice me in two, I’m prog all the way through.”
    - Mr. Poms

https://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by yesfan123 View Post
    for #YES50 -

I would love to see a live dvd/blu ray box set with concerts from various line ups. I'm sure there are great stuff in the archives from all the different eras?
    This would be awesome...
    Yes live through the past 50 years, all done in video. Best live video available from each tour of the band's career. Cool idea. DVD/Blue Ray box set. Maybe 5 - 7 DVD's. No more than one or maybe two songs from each tour, so it doesn't get too unruly for fans to afford.
    Drifting endlessly,

Peace, SteveR

http://www.myspace.com/skroehr

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I’d be interested in a Tormato remix, but no Giles Martin involvement please.
    I’d probably buy it if Mickey Mouse remixed it.

As far as I’m concerned Brian Kehew did such a fantastic job with Progeny that he deserves first dibs on any and all Yes archival releases from now on.

Yes-East-West-Fan

A new set of Progeny, from whichever Phase - livealbums from tours for Tales, Relayer, Tormato/10th-anniversary... Must not be seven for each, two or three will do... like one early Relayer-show from 74 or 75 and two from 76, one with the full solo-album-Programme and one from the later Shows when they had skipped the solostuff. Or one early Tormato Show with Silent Wings and I guess they also did Arriving U.F.O. and one from 79... just f.e. And hey, what about some live-stuff from Yeswest? Long overdue...

Don't know the newest about if the original master-tapes are available - but I would like A Tormato-Remix-Album with some real alternative remixes from whomever, why not from Trevor Horn? I learned to like the original Version, but I am also curious how it would Sound with some different Keyboard-Treatment for example.

Why not something like The Lost Yesalbum? With maybe a different and ultimate version of the Paris Sessions (different from what we have as Bonus tracks) and what is available from that album that Yeswest wanted to do around 89 and 90... might it be that there are versions with contributions from Billy Sherwood and Roger Hodgson?

Concerning new Albums I would find it reasonable if both Yes would throw their best stuff together on one album, like 30 or 35 minutes from Howe's Version and about the same amount from YesF. The Chance for something like that might be slim, but I think it is worth a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    If he doesn't want to do it, then yes, it is.
    I’ll bet he’s been working on it for the past few years. The holdup is probably the five or six previously unknown gems he discovered from the Drama sessions. That and the hi-res video footage from the tour.

I'd love some kind of YesWest-specific archival release but I don't know how likely that is.
    How about an audio release of the full 9012Live concerts? Or the 1988 Houston show?

There’s also, I believe, enough material to do a real “remastered & expanded” version of Big Generator. The previously-released remixes are interesting, but bootlegs like Alternate Generator make me wonder if there isn’t more.

Then there’s the YesWest Union-era tracks. Is it possible that the only song Rabin-Squire-White +/- Kaye and Sherwood completed was “Love Conquers All”? Aren’t there finished versions of “The More We Live” and “Say Goodbye”? I’d also love to hear “Miracle of Life” sung by Rabin only (or, if tracks exist, by Rabin and Sherwood or Squire). Conversely, how about a properly mastered recording of “Say Goodbye” with Anderson?

I thought Steven Wilson said he would like to do Drama, but that there are no multitrack tapes available.

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

Any new music they are able to deliver. Preferably one album by each incarnation.
    No more archives, remixes, live albums, thank you.

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

How about an audio release of the full 9012Live concerts? Or the 1988 Houston show?
    Yeah pretty much.

That's right - Geoff did say they couldn't find the multitracks.
    Last edited by luna65; 04-02-2018 at 12:31 PM.
    "If you slice me in two, I’m prog all the way through.”
    - Mr. Poms

https://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

Super Mega Yesfan popeyebonaparte's Avatar

No, Geoff said he was opposed to a Wilson remix but said that a 5.1 remix would be very interesting in another interview. He probably wants Horn to do it or else he just doesn't like Wilson.
    Peace, love, long live rock n roll

SR Mega Yesfan

That's right - Geoff did say they couldn't find the multitracks.
    Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post
    No, Geoff said he was opposed to a Wilson remix but said that a 5.1 remix would be very interesting in another interview. He probably wants Horn to do it or else he just doesn't like Wilson.
    He earlier said he was opposed. He more recently praised Wilson and supported the idea, but said the multitracks couldn't be found.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the Yes news blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I thought Steven Wilson said he would like to do Drama, but that there are no multitrack tapes available.
    Oh, darn.... (Because they are locked in Horn's safe for good reason).

Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post
    If Horn did it, it might be worth it. The mix's are perfect. Maybe a remaster? I don't think it needs anything besides a great set of headphones or sound system to enjoy it on.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    He earlier said he was opposed. He more recently praised Wilson and supported the idea, but said the multitracks couldn't be found.

Henry
    Shucks, guess NO Drama re-mix!

I'm wondering though about Tormato, an album in dire need of a remix... The analogue tapes were transferred to digital years ago. Maybe a 2018 50th surprise? I hope so!! There are around 5 different takes of OTSWOF a little birdie whispered....

Mega Yesfan

I seem to recall Squire saying somewhere that the masters used for the 9012Live concerts were lost and that the audio for the DVD was taken from a 2-track mixdown, or something along those lines. Just tragic.

As a side note, the first concert I ever attended was a 90125 show in Philadelphia and, for an encore, the band pulled out the Spencer Davis Group's "Gimme Some Lovin'." I would love - looove - to get an official release of that or any other performance of the song.

Quote Originally Posted by MeMeMe View Post
    I seem to recall Squire saying somewhere that the masters used for the 9012Live concerts were lost and that the audio for the DVD was taken from a 2-track mixdown, or something along those lines. Just tragic.

As a side note, the first concert I ever attended was a 90125 show in Philadelphia and, for an encore, the band pulled out the Spencer Davis Group's "Gimme Some Lovin'." I would love - looove - to get an official release of that or any other performance of the song.
    Isn’t the DVD audio for 9012Live in mono?

Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by MeMeMe View Post

There's also the (West) German 90125 concert that was recorded for a radio broadcast.

I was at that Philly show too! Fun night.

Mega Yesfan

Isn’t the DVD audio for 9012Live in mono?
    I played the DVD as I was putting together some furniture just now and the following note popped up after the credits finished:

"In the 20 years since 9012 Live was finished, both the original 2" 24-track masters and the final stereo mix have been lost.

"What you are hearing here was carefully transferred from the 1" Type C video master, whose audio is a generation down. These two tracks were then carefully 'upmixed' to 5.1 for this DVD presentation."

Quote Originally Posted by MaputoMatt View Post
    There's also the (West) German 90125 concert that was recorded for a radio broadcast.

I was at that Philly show too! Fun night.
    Good point, re: the German show. And nice! It's not too much of a stretch to say that that night changed the course of my life. As evidenced by my posting in this forum some 35 years later.
    Last edited by MeMeMe; 04-02-2018 at 07:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast