Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: YES: July 10, The Wilbur Theatre, Boston, MA

Insane Yesfan

YES: July 10, The Wilbur Theatre, Boston, MA

#yes50
    #YES50

Peace... is a word we teach

Re: YES: July 10, The Wilbur Theatre, Boston, MA

I'll be attending this show with my dad. The tickets were bought today; they're for the balcony, but only about three rows up, and dead center to the stage.

Obviously, I can't wait for next Tuesday.

Super Mega Insane Yesfan josuev80's Avatar

Good show tonight. The band seemed happy playing together, although Howe had a couple of odd and grouchy moments and does generally seem to keep the band wound too tight. Good to see Kaye live for the first time since the Talk tour. I am guessing it will be the last time unless they continue the 50th anniversary tour up the East Coast again which seems unlikely. White as many pointed out seems quite frail, but I think the four songs that he was on he handled well. They are lucky to have Schellen with them who was enthusiastic the whole show even when not playing the drums. There is no way possible from what I can see that White will be able to play a whole 2 hour plus show anymore. I wish they had moved Roundabout into the main set (like during the full album tours with Fragile) since they have two other traditional encores and played Sweet Dreams->Perpetual Change-->YIND->ST as a third set/encore to give Kaye a chance to perform all the songs he was originally on that they played.

Set I:
    Close to the Edge - good version, although this to me is one of Downes' weaker songs that lacks the classic Wakeman sound that Igor and Brislin captured well
    Nine Voices (Longwalker) - nice vocals and beautiful guitar work from Howe
    Parallels - good version but lacks something without Squire and Wakeman
    Mood for a Day - interesting intro before the song that I didn't recognize. For such a quiet and beautiful piece of music, why does 0.2% of the audience feel compelled to yell out randomly?
    Leaves of Green - sounded very good. Longer intro that I can ever recall hearing before the main section of Soon. Also, Billy sang a couple of parts. Don't remember Squire ever doing that when they have just played the excerpt.
    Fly From Here, Part I: We Can Fly - musically good, but Davison's vocals ruined this song for me. Much better with Benoit or Horn.
    Sweet Dreams - most rocking version I have ever heard and with some jamming. Wish Kaye performed with them on this.
    Heart of the Sunrise - good version, but Downes playing doesn't quite gel with this song for me either. Some of his parts also seemed to be much lower in volume than they should be. Not sure if it was a mixing problem. I actually saw Howe sit down during the bass solo near the beginning of the song. Never saw him do that before, but the angle from where I was seated allow me to see that part of the "off" stage.

Set II:
    Perpetual Change - good version, but could have been better with Kaye
    Does It Really Happen? - This is where Sherwood sounded the best instrumentally, but the a cappella part with Howe and Davison was horrid.
    Soon- another nice version and glad it wasn't just Howe and Davison, but there seemed to be a too many mellow songs played. Howe also acted oddly on this song. For a brief moment, he was leaning over his Fender Pedal Steel when he wasn't playing. I am not sure if somebody was irritating him in the front row which was inches from the stage and he was saying something to that person.
    Awaken - another good version although Downes muffed the intro slightly. it was nice to see everyone but Howe clustered around together jamming together during the spacey part of the song. When Howe came back on stage when the other guys were coming out of the jam, he appeared to point the neck of his guitar at someone up front in the audience for a second before he started playing. Also, I had the pleasure of hearing during two 50 or 60 something guys verbally fighting and swearing at the beginning of the song which detracted from the part where Howe first comes in.

Encore: (General comment - the 7 piece band worked well and full of energy)
    Yours Is No Disgrace - great version and great to see Kaye
    Roundabout - Played well, but I am so sick of this song and would have left midway through if it was the last song. Nice to see Kaye get a couple of solos on this song
    Starship Trooper- Great version, but was hoping Kaye let loose a little more but was happy to see him play this again. I left when the last note was played and did not see the group taking their bows.

This was probably the best post 2004 show I have seen. The tempos were what they used to be and there were just a couple of spots that were plodding but the band was quite energetic with very few weak spots. I know some people have their opinions of the current band, but if they are in your area, you should see them just to see Kaye and possibly White for the last time. I don't think we will get a show longer than this ever again. I give it 7.5 out 10 which isn't bad for a 50 year old band.
    Last edited by josuev80; 5 Days Ago at 10:09 PM.

Nice review. Thanks, Man!
    yadda~yadda - "It's the sound they make in Heaven. It's the sound for here on Earth. I hear it in the whispering of the Wonders that we search."

New to the site

I also noticed Steve sitting down at times during the show. Not a big deal to me if the guy wants a break from time to time while the focus is elsewhere.

As far as Steve's apparent grumpiness...he seems to take it upon himself to be the "video recording" police. I'm not sure why he bothers, leave it to the venue to police that. For every one person he's pointing out in the first 10 rows, there are a dozen in the back or up in the balcony who are doing the same thing.

At the Penn's Peak show, Steve went so far as to point to someone, walk offstage while playing to get a security person to take notice. It reduces the immersion for the 98% (I'm just guessing here) who aren't recording the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Relayer2112 View Post
    I also noticed Steve sitting down at times during the show. Not a big deal to me if the guy wants a break from time to time while the focus is elsewhere.

As far as Steve's apparent grumpiness...he seems to take it upon himself to be the "video recording" police. I'm not sure why he bothers, leave it to the venue to police that. For every one person he's pointing out in the first 10 rows, there are a dozen in the back or up in the balcony who are doing the same thing.

At the Penn's Peak show, Steve went so far as to point to someone, walk offstage while playing to get a security person to take notice. It reduces the immersion for the 98% (I'm just guessing here) who aren't recording the show.
    To all you people who just have to hold up your phone and record video during the concert,
    Please try to respect the others that you are in front of. They love the band just as much as you do.
    They deserve to be able to see the show.
    Oh and also... Now you are going to be right in the middle of their video!
    That which you are seeking, is causing you to seek !

Great Review thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bsperduto View Post
    Great Review thanks
    I am glad a couple of people appreciated it. I guess in-depth reviews like "Yes Rocks" seem to capture more interest.

Quote Originally Posted by josuev80 View Post
    Leaves of Green - sounded very good. Longer intro that I can ever recall hearing...

Thanks for your review & for mentioning these - also thought Leaves of Green was a bit longer than it was the past two tours... I don't remember Billy singing harmony so early in the arrangement before this tour.

YIND was so much fun! Loved seeing Tony front & center. Also loved the way the middle solo section seemed to hearken back to the YesSongs era, starting with just Steve fingerpicking on his electric, morphing into a full-out band jam.

Insane Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by brianos View Post
    Thanks for your review & for mentioning these - also thought Leaves of Green was a bit longer than it was the past two tours... I don't remember Billy singing harmony so early in the arrangement before this tour.

YIND was so much fun! Loved seeing Tony front & center. Also loved the way the middle solo section seemed to hearken back to the YesSongs era, starting with just Steve fingerpicking on his electric, morphing into a full-out band jam.
    They do a short vocal section at the beginning of LOG. Didn’t do it previously.

Very fair and balanced review. Thank you for taking the time to write it.
    Jon Anderson (2018 interview): "We live for one thing alone and that is to find the divine energy within you, that is connected to the divine energy that surrounds us"

Quote Originally Posted by Relayer2112 View Post

At the show I was in March Steve said that he didn't mind people filming or taking pictures, but to do so without flash. And I can well imagine being on stage and flashes being annoying, not to mention blinding.
    Jon Anderson (2018 interview): "We live for one thing alone and that is to find the divine energy within you, that is connected to the divine energy that surrounds us"

New to the site

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    At the show I was in March Steve said that he didn't mind people filming or taking pictures, but to do so without flash. And I can well imagine being on stage and flashes being annoying, not to mention blinding.
    That's a good point...he may have more of an issue with the light in his face than the actual recording of the show. There were a couple times at the show I attended where he was shielding his eyes. I thought that this was a signal to the spotlight operators, but he may have been sending a message to some people in the crowd.

˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ʎlɹɐǝlɔ sɐɥ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos relayerone's Avatar

That's a good point...he may have more of an issue with the light in his face than the actual recording of the show.
    Lol. For decades he's been complaining when the light *isn't* in his face.
    It drives me nuts when people online don't know the difference between "your" and "you're".

There so stupid.

Music:♩♪♫♬ Volume: ▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 110 %

Good show tonight. The band seemed happy playing together, although Howe had a couple of odd and grouchy moments and does generally seem to keep the band wound too tight. Good to see Kaye live for the first time since the Talk tour.
    Set I:
    Close to the Edge - good version, although this to me is one of Downes' weaker songs that lacks the classic Wakeman sound that Igor and Brislin captured well
    Nine Voices (Longwalker) - nice vocals and beautiful guitar work from Howe
    Parallels - good version but lacks something without Squire and Wakeman
    Mood for a Day - interesting intro before the song that I didn't recognize. For such a quiet and beautiful piece of music, why does 0.2% of the audience feel compelled to yell out randomly?
    Leaves of Green - sounded very good. Longer intro that I can ever recall hearing before the main section of Soon. Also, Billy sang a couple of parts. Don't remember Squire ever doing that when they have just played the excerpt.
    Fly From Here, Part I: We Can Fly - musically good, but Davison's vocals ruined this song for me. Much better with Benoit or Horn.
    Sweet Dreams - most rocking version I have ever heard and with some jamming. Wish Kaye performed with them on this.
    Heart of the Sunrise - good version, but Downes playing doesn't quite gel with this song for me either. Some of his parts also seemed to be much lower in volume than they should be. Not sure if it was a mixing problem. I actually saw Howe sit down during the bass solo near the beginning of the song. Never saw him do that before, but the angle from where I was seated allow me to see that part of the "off" stage.

Set II:
    Perpetual Change - good version, but could have been better with Kaye
    Does It Really Happen? - This is where Sherwood sounded the best instrumentally, but the a cappella part with Howe and Davison was horrid.
    Soon- another nice version and glad it wasn't just Howe and Davison, but there seemed to be a too many mellow songs played. Howe also acted oddly on this song. For a brief moment, he was leaning over his Fender Pedal Steel when he wasn't playing. I am not sure if somebody was irritating him in the front row which was inches from the stage and he was saying something to that person.
    Awaken - another good version although Downes muffed the intro slightly. it was nice to see everyone but Howe clustered around together jamming together during the spacey part of the song. When Howe came back on stage when the other guys were coming out of the jam, he appeared to point the neck of his guitar at someone up front in the audience for a second before he started playing. Also, I had the pleasure of hearing during two 50 or 60 something guys verbally fighting and swearing at the beginning of the song which detracted from the part where Howe first comes in.

Encore: (General comment - the 7 piece band worked well and full of energy)
    Roundabout - Played well, but I am so sick of this song and would have left midway through if it was the last song. Nice to see Kaye get a couple of solos on this song
    Starship Trooper- Great version, but was hoping Kaye let loose a little more but was happy to see him play this again. I left when the last note was played and did not see the group taking their bows.

This was probably the best post 2004 show I have seen. The tempos were what they used to be and there were just a couple of spots that were plodding but the band was quite energetic with very few weak spots. I know some people have their opinions of the current band, but if they are in your area, you should see them just to see Kaye and possibly White for the last time. I don't think we will get a show longer than this ever again. I give it 7.5 out 10 which isn't bad for a 50 year old band.
    I am glad a couple of people appreciated it. I guess in-depth reviews like "Yes Rocks" seem to capture more interest.
    Thanks for the review. I gave the show I saw a 7 out of 10 and thought it was a great show that almost any Yes fan would mostly really enjoy. Glad you found things you really enjoyed about the show, but I'm not surprised by your comments on Downes and Davison based on your usual posts. A shame they were off when you saw them, they were great at the show I saw in L.A... But an honest review none the less. While it is fun seeing 2 sort of Yes bands, it would be better, as we saw at the RRHOF, if it was that band on stage (with Schellen and Billy) IMHO. But still a fun night out... The songs I thought they nailed were CTTE, Parallels, Sweet Dreams, Does It Really Happen, and Starship Trooper.

War ... just breaks the soul Bluegrunt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by somissound View Post
    The songs I thought they nailed were CTTE, Parallels, Sweet Dreams, Does It Really Happen, and Starship Trooper.
    Really looking forward to hearing CTTE live again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Lame, naive, laughable and stupid

Quote Originally Posted by somissound View Post
    Thanks for the review. I gave the show I saw a 7 out of 10 and thought it was a great show that almost any Yes fan would mostly really enjoy. Glad you found things you really enjoyed about the show, but I'm not surprised by your comments on Downes and Davison based on your usual posts. A shame they were off when you saw them, they were great at the show I saw in L.A... But an honest review none the less. While it is fun seeing 2 sort of Yes bands, it would be better, as we saw at the RRHOF, if it was that band on stage (with Schellen and Billy) IMHO. But still a fun night out... The songs I thought they nailed were CTTE, Parallels, Sweet Dreams, Does It Really Happen, and Starship Trooper.
    I think at the moment sans Anderson, Davison's voice is the best choice for the band. As I stated a couple of years ago when they played the Drama album in full, Davison's voice (to me) doesn't lend itself well to the Drama material which were the two songs I had an issue with regarding his vocals. He sings the classic material fine to me.

Downes as I have stated several times is not suited to some of the classic material IMHO. I believe I said in that same review a couple of years ago, Downes has improved year by year since he came back for FFH, but there are some iconic parts of Wakeman's that he can't quite play well enough. I could say the same about Moraz' playing on CTTE from QPR, but his take on Ritual from Yesshows is amazing.
    Last edited by josuev80; 4 Days Ago at 06:55 PM.

˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ʎlɹɐǝlɔ sɐɥ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos relayerone's Avatar

I could say the same about Moraz' playing on CTTE from QPR, but his take on Ritual from Yessshow is amazing.
    Funny isn't it, Relayer is my favorite album with some of the finest keyboard work in the catalog, and yes the Yesshows Ritual is excellent, but for me that's where my admiration ends. Doesn't really matter what boot you listen to, HotS, CttE, AYAI, etc etc all but ruined by Moraz' horrible sound choices & overuse of the wiggly synths, even Anderson commented after his dismissal that (to paraphrase but I know I'm close) "he's a lovely man but his sounds weren't too good".
    It drives me nuts when people online don't know the difference between "your" and "you're".

There so stupid.

Music:♩♪♫♬ Volume: ▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 110 %

Quote Originally Posted by relayerone View Post
    Funny isn't it, Relayer is my favorite album with some of the finest keyboard work in the catalog, and yes the Yesshows Ritual is excellent, but for me that's where my admiration ends. Doesn't really matter what boot you listen to, HotS, CttE, AYAI, etc etc all but ruined by Moraz' horrible sound choices & overuse of the wiggly synths, even Anderson commented after his dismissal that (to paraphrase but I know I'm close) "he's a lovely man but his sounds weren't too good".
    His work on most on the non-Relayer material doesn't make him any less of a talented keyboard player. The same applies with Downes and the non-Drama/FFH/H&E material although Downes plays the other material he was not originally part of much better than Moraz did with perhaps Ritual as the exception.

Yes-East-West-Fan

The best Close To The Edge I know is the one from Boston November 12th 1974, it swings and rolls enormously and has bite… not at least thanks to Moraz. His Ritual is the best as well. So, not bad at all... No debate about the class of whole Relayer live… On the other side Patricks Yours No Disgrace is really weak though… the rest of the stuff I am undecided about, must listen to it again...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast