Google

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: YES: July 10, The Wilbur Theatre, Boston, MA

Re: YES: July 10, The Wilbur Theatre, Boston, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Relayer2112 View Post
    That's a good point...he may have more of an issue with the light in his face than the actual recording of the show. There were a couple times at the show I attended where he was shielding his eyes. I thought that this was a signal to the spotlight operators, but he may have been sending a message to some people in the crowd.
    A message about kicking them in the head?
    That which you are seeking, is causing you to seek !

Quote Originally Posted by josuev80 View Post
    Good show tonight. The band seemed happy playing together, although Howe had a couple of odd and grouchy moments and does generally seem to keep the band wound too tight. Good to see Kaye live for the first time since the Talk tour. I am guessing it will be the last time unless they continue the 50th anniversary tour up the East Coast again which seems unlikely. White as many pointed out seems quite frail, but I think the four songs that he was on he handled well. They are lucky to have Schellen with them who was enthusiastic the whole show even when not playing the drums. There is no way possible from what I can see that White will be able to play a whole 2 hour plus show anymore. I wish they had moved Roundabout into the main set (like during the full album tours with Fragile) since they have two other traditional encores and played Sweet Dreams->Perpetual Change-->YIND->ST as a third set/encore to give Kaye a chance to perform all the songs he was originally on that they played.

Set I:
    Close to the Edge - good version, although this to me is one of Downes' weaker songs that lacks the classic Wakeman sound that Igor and Brislin captured well
    Nine Voices (Longwalker) - nice vocals and beautiful guitar work from Howe
    Parallels - good version but lacks something without Squire and Wakeman
    Mood for a Day - interesting intro before the song that I didn't recognize. For such a quiet and beautiful piece of music, why does 0.2% of the audience feel compelled to yell out randomly?
    Leaves of Green - sounded very good. Longer intro that I can ever recall hearing before the main section of Soon. Also, Billy sang a couple of parts. Don't remember Squire ever doing that when they have just played the excerpt.
    Fly From Here, Part I: We Can Fly - musically good, but Davison's vocals ruined this song for me. Much better with Benoit or Horn.
    Sweet Dreams - most rocking version I have ever heard and with some jamming. Wish Kaye performed with them on this.
    Heart of the Sunrise - good version, but Downes playing doesn't quite gel with this song for me either. Some of his parts also seemed to be much lower in volume than they should be. Not sure if it was a mixing problem. I actually saw Howe sit down during the bass solo near the beginning of the song. Never saw him do that before, but the angle from where I was seated allow me to see that part of the "off" stage.

Set II:
    Perpetual Change - good version, but could have been better with Kaye
    Does It Really Happen? - This is where Sherwood sounded the best instrumentally, but the a cappella part with Howe and Davison was horrid.
    Soon- another nice version and glad it wasn't just Howe and Davison, but there seemed to be a too many mellow songs played. Howe also acted oddly on this song. For a brief moment, he was leaning over his Fender Pedal Steel when he wasn't playing. I am not sure if somebody was irritating him in the front row which was inches from the stage and he was saying something to that person.
    Awaken - another good version although Downes muffed the intro slightly. it was nice to see everyone but Howe clustered around together jamming together during the spacey part of the song. When Howe came back on stage when the other guys were coming out of the jam, he appeared to point the neck of his guitar at someone up front in the audience for a second before he started playing. Also, I had the pleasure of hearing during two 50 or 60 something guys verbally fighting and swearing at the beginning of the song which detracted from the part where Howe first comes in.

Encore: (General comment - the 7 piece band worked well and full of energy)
    Yours Is No Disgrace - great version and great to see Kaye
    Roundabout - Played well, but I am so sick of this song and would have left midway through if it was the last song. Nice to see Kaye get a couple of solos on this song
    Starship Trooper- Great version, but was hoping Kaye let loose a little more but was happy to see him play this again. I left when the last note was played and did not see the group taking their bows.

This was probably the best post 2004 show I have seen. The tempos were what they used to be and there were just a couple of spots that were plodding but the band was quite energetic with very few weak spots. I know some people have their opinions of the current band, but if they are in your area, you should see them just to see Kaye and possibly White for the last time. I don't think we will get a show longer than this ever again. I give it 7.5 out 10 which isn't bad for a 50 year old band.
    Thanks for the detailed review!
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.' And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

Quote Originally Posted by josuev80 View Post
    I think at the moment sans Anderson, Davison's voice is the best choice for the band. As I stated a couple of years ago when they played the Drama album in full, Davison's voice (to me) doesn't lend itself well to the Drama material which were the two songs I had an issue with regarding his vocals. He sings the classic material fine to me.

Downes as I have stated several times is not suited to some of the classic material IMHO. I believe I said in that same review a couple of years ago, Downes has improved year by year since he came back for FFH, but there are some iconic parts of Wakeman's that he can't quite play well enough. I could say the same about Moraz' playing on CTTE from QPR, but his take on Ritual from Yesshows is amazing.
    I agree with all of this!^^^ I did think Geoff played excellent at the L.A. show I just saw. But nobody does those fancy runs in songs like Awaken and CTTE like Rick. But Geoff played damn good and I preferred his live sounds 10X more than Rick's. Either way, either band, lucky to see any of these guys playing the music of Yes still at the level they all are playing it!

Super Mega Insane Yesfan josuev80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by somissound View Post
    I agree with all of this!^^^ I did think Geoff played excellent at the L.A. show I just saw. But nobody does those fancy runs in songs like Awaken and CTTE like Rick. But Geoff played damn good and I preferred his live sounds 10X more than Rick's. Either way, either band, lucky to see any of these guys playing the music of Yes still at the level they all are playing it!
    Thanks. Some people appreciate an honest, in-depth review that contains some praise as well as some criticism. People who post simplistic reviews like "so and so rules" or "they are the best" are equivalent to a fanboy/girl review that contains no substance that one would expect on a Justin Bieber or One Direction fan website.

Super Mega Insane Yesfan josuev80's Avatar

Peace... is a word we teach

Well, it's been a while since the show, and I'm currently in the process of writing a longer review for Forgotten Yesterdays, but I'll just say here that I liked it. It's my first time seeing Yes live, and I fully knew what to expect before the show. My father didn't, though, so he didn't enjoy it as much.

I agree with much of what josuev80 said. The whole band was playing with lots of energy and the instrumentation was pretty good. "Does it Really Happen?" was also a highlight of the show for me; I just wanted to get up and move during Billy's frenetic bass solo. Steve's playing was pretty good, even if the man himself wasn't in good spirits. I also liked Geoff's playing in some spots. Prior to the "Seasons of Man" solo, I didn't realize that I've never heard his take on the keyboard solo. It ended up being completely different than Rick's, and that's a major reason why I liked it so much. Yes music can consist of many different variations of a single song, so I'm all for another Moraz-esque take on the solo as opposed to the straighter Khoroshev/Brislin renditions.

I'm really not a fan of Jon Davison, and his stage presence during the music just seemed weird to me. Why was he hunched over so much for a couple of songs? At least him hitting a cymbal at the far end of Schellen's drum kit was pretty funny. I'm also not positive about his vocals, but at this point, I've accepted it as being part of the Yes band that (that) is.

Overall, I'd give the show an 8/10, inflated due to the novelty of seeing a band like Yes live not having worn off yet. But don't worry, because I'll probably get more cynical and cranky over time.

Mega Insane Yesfan

I've downloaded a recording of this concert. Kudos to whoever made it, great job!
    Very good performance by all concerned, with Perpetual Change, Parallels, Heart of the Sunrise really rocking and rolling. Punchy and energetic.

I reckon when the Yes50 touring winds up they should take the 'best' audience recordings from, say, five shows, and just release them as a CD boxset, as is. No cleaning up or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Don the Cap View Post
    I've downloaded a recording of this concert. Kudos to whoever made it, great job!
    Very good performance by all concerned, with Perpetual Change, Parallels, Heart of the Sunrise really rocking and rolling. Punchy and energetic.

I reckon when the Yes50 touring winds up they should take the 'best' audience recordings from, say, five shows, and just release them as a CD boxset, as is. No cleaning up or anything.
    This line up seems to really gel and deliver and it just seems to me there's even more potential. Thing look very well for future live performances, but also when they're able to transfer that energy and punch onto a future studio recording we might be pleasantly surprised by the outcome.
    Jon Anderson (2018 interview): "We live for one thing alone and that is to find the divine energy within you, that is connected to the divine energy that surrounds us"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2