Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Go Through This"

"Go Through This"

Hey, what's the history with the song "Go Through This". Was this another Drama outtake? or does it have it's origins pre-Drama? And does anyone wonder why it hasn't gotten an official release by the recent reunion of the Drama lineup? I first thought that when FFH was released, that it was an obvious song to re-record and official release. When they announced FFH-RT and a bonus track, i wondered if this would be it. I also wondered if "Go Through This' would be used to spearhead a sequel to FFH (the way FFH started the first Drama reunion album). Granted, no more Squire, but maybe they can use his original bass tracks from the late 70's if they do decide to re-record. I'm also Ok with Horn on bass.

Re: the song itself, doesn't it kind of has a punk sound to it (it was written during the punk rock years, right?). it's like prog meets punk.

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

Re: "Go Through This"

AFAIK it’s from the Drama era, not earlier. I’m in that privileged smalll exclusive club of likers of this song.

A great rock and roller, good album opener IMO.
    Don’t know why they never revived it, when with a minimum of effort, Jon D (or Horn!) singing over the 1980 rhythm track as released on Rhino, it could be done.
    I wouldn’t say it’s punky, but surely influenced by the new wave and such as was much of Drama.
    And then there is that strange sound effect Howe is using on his guitar, some kind of delay?

Yes-East-West-Fan

^^

Agree to all of this...

And recording the original Drama II Album with Go Through This (harmony-wise always a typical Howe-song to me), Vermilion Sands, Beatnik, Rainbow Warrier and more... should be the next task of Horn (also as lead-singer)with Yes. We could be sure that the songmaterial would be great. And we can't be sure at all that Horizons out of the Heaven & Earth-sessions will be really better than that (not such a bad Album as many think, but nothing that should be repeated as well).
    Last edited by PeterCologne; 03-11-2018 at 01:42 PM.

Lots of people here don't like it but I do. I agree with you, I can't understand why they never recorded it for Drama (lack of time Trevor Horn said) then didn't use it for FFH. It had a third chance of finally becoming a real YES song on FFH Return Ticket. I guess YES members don't like it so much. Trevor only had to record his vocals on the instrumental version that exists but didn't. It would have been a cool rock song on any of these releases

I like "Go Through This" very much. But isn't it predominantly a Steve Howe composition? To me it sounds pretty far of from any Buggles composition. Way too much rock and roll.
    Jon Anderson (2018 interview): "We live for one thing alone and that is to find the divine energy within you, that is connected to the divine energy that surrounds us"

˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ʎlɹɐǝlɔ sɐɥ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos relayerone's Avatar

And recording the original Drama II Album with Go Through This (harmony-wise always a typical Howe-song to me), Vermilion Sands, Beatnik, Rainbow Warrier and more... should be the next task of Horn (also as lead-singer)with Yes
    .....because as we know Yes are a band always looking below the horizon, and firmly in the rear-view mirror. Why write anything new when they have so much of this inferior, old-album-rejects stuff lying around?
    Not a fan of Go Through This at all, I fully understand why it hasn't been....revived.
    "I used to listen to Yes.
    I still do, but I used to, too."

Music:♩♪♫♬ Volume: ▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 110 %

Yes-East-West-Fan

Quote Originally Posted by relayerone View Post
    .....because as we know Yes are a band always looking below the horizon, and firmly in the rear-view mirror. Why write anything new when they have so much of this inferior, old-album-rejects stuff lying around?
    Not a fan of Go Through This at all, I fully understand why it hasn't been....revived.
    Stuff like Vermillion Sands and Beatnik and so on is more than second-rate-stuff that wasn't good enough once. I t is A Number 1 Horn and partly Horn/Downes-stuff. There was just no opportunity to record it in 82/82. Horizons might be (or might not) something that wasn't good enough in the past... we will hear probably soon

Mega Insane Yesfan

I found Modern Adventures in recording was available to me via Amazon Prime so I downloaded it onto my phone last week. My walk into work lasts about 20 mins. That was as much of the album as I wanted to listen to. Uninteresting musically, instrumentally and vocally for me, it just sounded horribly dated and very much of its time. It's not an album I'll be returning to; it merely serves to confirm the view I had of Trevor Horn and The Buggles at the time of Drama and Video Star: almost entirely free of content.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceasar's Palace View Post
    AFAIK it’s from the Drama era, not earlier. I’m in that privileged smalll exclusive club of likers of this song
    Yes, it's from the Drama era and yes, I think it is a Steve song.

I'm not in that club - I always suspected it was left off Drama as it wasn't good enough, but if so, why play it live ?

Either way, not putting it on the rerelease of FFH is bizarre.
    Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...

˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ʎlɹɐǝlɔ sɐɥ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos relayerone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PeterCologne View Post
    Stuff like Vermillion Sands and Beatnik and so on is more than second-rate-stuff that wasn't good enough once. I t is A Number 1 Horn and partly Horn/Downes-stuff. There was just no opportunity to record it in 82/82. Horizons might be (or might not) something that wasn't good enough in the past... we will hear probably soon
    Horizons interests me, Downes is a far better writer than a virtuosic keyboardist, and Davison showed promise as a writer on H&E, so I would expect it to be something good and especially with a little time between recording and completion, affords a little hindsight and perspective that can only improve the finished product.
    On the other hand the other stuff you mention is known, I don't think it's any good, just like the Paris or XYZ stuff it's really weak source material to try & fashion a silk purse out of, but "Number 1"??
    Now THAT'S optimism!
    "I used to listen to Yes.
    I still do, but I used to, too."

Music:♩♪♫♬ Volume: ▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 110 %

Quote Originally Posted by RelayerI View Post
    ... I always suspected it was left off Drama as it wasn't good enough, but if so, why play it live ? Either way, not putting it on the rerelease of FFH is bizarre.
    Because there weren't that many YES songs Trevor could sing well and they needed to fill a show with material that he could sing. Since he came up (probably) with the melody lines and the lyrics it was logical.

Yes-East-West-Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Don the Cap View Post
    I found Modern Adventures in recording was available to me via Amazon Prime so I downloaded it onto my phone last week. My walk into work lasts about 20 mins. That was as much of the album as I wanted to listen to. Uninteresting musically, instrumentally and vocally for me, it just sounded horribly dated and very much of its time. It's not an album I'll be returning to; it merely serves to confirm the view I had of Trevor Horn and The Buggles at the time of Drama and Video Star: almost entirely free of content.
    Well, okay, I'd say those are really interesting compositions, great sourse-material. But it is okay of Course that you see it different. And of course they should and would record it new. Adventures In Modern recording, as much as I like it, really appears a little like good demo-versions. And Steve Howe would add new aspects as would Horn and Downes I guess. But the material itself is...

Quote Originally Posted by relayerone View Post
    Horizons interests me, Downes is a far better writer than a virtuosic keyboardist, and Davison showed promise as a writer on H&E, so I would expect it to be something good and especially with a little time between recording and completion, affords a little hindsight and perspective that can only improve the finished product.
    On the other hand the other stuff you mention is known, I don't think it's any good, just like the Paris or XYZ stuff it's really weak source material to try & fashion a silk purse out of, but "Number 1"??
    Now THAT'S optimism!
    ... A number 1 for my taste. True Downes is a very good writer (and interesting keyboard-player, just different from Wakey f.e.), today even maybe the best Songwriter of them all. If Horizons is as good as Vermilon Sands, okay than it is a good one. But I just think the stuff on Adventures In Modern Recording cries out to be a little developed and recorded by Yes. Why don't mix it by the way... Why not a hybrid Album with YesO's two lead singers The one from Heaven & Earth and the one from Return Trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp on Attack View Post
    Because there weren't that many YES songs Trevor could sing well and they needed to fill a show with material that he could sing. Since he came up (probably) with the melody lines and the lyrics it was logical.
    Maybe it'll make it onto some future Buggles Howe venture.
    Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...

Good point about using the basic track for Go Through This and just letting Horn sing over it. I like that idea. That gets it even closer to being a Drama-era track.

On a side note, Downes is a very underrated songwriter from a musical standpoint (I have no idea how he is lyrically or if we bothers with that side). Listen to his work with John Payne (when Wetton left Asia for a while). It is so delicious. He won me over with the song (Payne's voice took time for me to appreciate and I didn't like some of the guitar work on the earlier albums). Downes is very good with chord progressions that hook you. YES could do a lot worse then let Downes take the lead on songwriting. Actually, I think Downes & Howe should do the bulk of the song-crafting and let Davison throw in some lyrics if needed. I used to really dig Sherwood as a writer as well, but his later stuff stopped appealing to me (his early stuff is great though - Lodgic, The Key, World Trade).

Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Don the Cap View Post
    There are so many albums that are now my favourites that I didn't like first listen, sometimes second, sometimes third, or even took 10 listens for me to get into. In fact, it took me years of listening to HOTS, to go from thinking it was alright, to finally 'getting it'.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by PeterCologne View Post

And recording the original Drama II Album with Go Through This (harmony-wise always a typical Howe-song to me), Vermilion Sands, Beatnik, Rainbow Warrier and more... should be the next task of Horn (also as lead-singer)with Yes. We could be sure that the songmaterial would be great. And we can't be sure at all that Horizons out of the Heaven & Earth-sessions will be really better than that (not such a bad Album as many think, but nothing that should be repeated as well).
    Someone mentioned something similar to this idea to me via PM a while back.

In a rare effort to be concise, I guess the crux of my response was that I already had a version of every song mentioned in my collection in one form or another. The above mentioned songs, plus some others that we could mention from that era, all wound up on either a Buggles album, bonus tracks from the Drama re-release, a live album (In the case of "Go Through This"), etc..

In some alternate universe where Yes was involved in a Sherwood-esque flury of releases and doing an original album of never-before heard material every two years on the dot, with a live album on the off-years, and whatever archival stuff Warners wanted to cook up and so on and so forth, there would be nothing wrong with a Drama II in theory as a bonus.

However, back here in our universe, we know that these redone songs would wind up substituted for the possibility of a "real" new album with songs we've never heard before- or that the "real" album would be pushed off even further into the future and they'd point out all the studio work that had been done on this hypothetical Drama II, which might even be billed as the next studio album. It's not that I object to reusing an old song here or there that hasn't been released before and is "new to us", but an entire album full of songs that have actually already been released and that we all own, in place of, or pushing back the release of, a real new album of original material? I'd really dislike that.

At some point, if they are going to fight the label of being some sort of Steve Howe tribute to Yes, and continue to actually *be* Yes, a commitment to new albums that are truly new (Or at least the release of them often enough to make us not feel like they were done with them- with or without a commitment) would seem like basic table stakes.

Trevor Horn is a great producer and I have no objection in principle to him producing the next Yes album, or to him writing or co-writing some of the songs for it. That'd probably make it a better album, in truth. He could even trade vocals with Jon Davison and Billy Sherwood on some songs (Plenty of precedent for Yes doing that, especially in the Rabin era, which Horn produced). However, if he wants to write a Drama II (or III), let him write some new songs for it that we haven't heard before. Rather than cobbling together the sequel to Drama we could all cobble together at home from our existing Yes and Buggles purchases on a digital playlist for our phones or MP3 players, give us stuff that is either truly new or at least has been kept from leaking or being officially released in any way in the past and is sitting in Horn's attic as a sheet of lyrics, a sheet of music, or some archival tapes.

I would also say that if Horn has an album full of Yes material we haven't heard that he's written (As opposed to what we have heard), I would be of the mind to break it up into two albums, and then fill out the other half of each album with material written solely by the current members of Yes. I would also have all five current members of Yes perform both halves of each album, with Horn as a "6th man" on select songs, but not to the exclusion of Davison or Sherwood (It could be like an Anderson-Rabin-Squire dynamic).

Just churning out old already released material re-worked under new names is not the mark of a healthy creative entity. Some consideration should be given to continuing to establish the current Yes as an on-going creative entity that continues to do what the band did in the 70s and 80s rather than a band that just presents and re-presents songs from the 70s and 80s. There is a subtle but important distinction. :)
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

Yes-East-West-Fan

Quote Originally Posted by downbyariver View Post
    Trevor Horn is a great producer and I have no objection in principle to him producing the next Yes album, or to him writing or co-writing some of the songs for it. That'd probably make it a better album, in truth. He could even trade vocals with Jon Davison and Billy Sherwood on some songs (Plenty of precedent for Yes doing that, especially in the Rabin era, which Horn produced). However, if he wants to write a Drama II (or III), let him write some new songs for it that we haven't heard before.
    Nothing against Horn writing new stuff for a next Yesalbum and also singing the leadvocals. I am very curious how Return Trip will be, what Horn is up to now with Yes. Why did he wanted to redo also the music?There is maybe a message included in what he did now with the Album.

Mega Insane Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Young View Post
    There are so many albums that are now my favourites that I didn't like first listen, sometimes second, sometimes third, or even took 10 listens for me to get into. In fact, it took me years of listening to HOTS, to go from thinking it was alright, to finally 'getting it'.

Steve
    That kind of thing can happen, of course, and it took me quite some time and persistence to 'get' Captain Beefheart, or Joy Division, or Van der Graaf Generator, for example, and I'm hugely enthusiastic about them all now, but I hear nothing in what I heard in The Buggles, or Trevor Horn solo for that matter, either 40-odd years ago (-ish), or now. As I said, I discern no content of interest to me.

I love the song. It should be on the new album.
    Chris Squire RIP 1948-2015 thank you for every album every song every moment... the world will truly never be the same again.
    Yes is Steve Howe Geoff Downes Jon Davison Billy Sherwood Alan White Jay Schellen and Tony Kaye and they have my support.
    GTT

Quote Originally Posted by Rabin105 View Post
    I love the song. It should be on the new album.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast