Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Interview with Billy Sherwood - 11th March 2018

Interview with Billy Sherwood - 11th March 2018

Interview with Billy Sherwood 11th March 2018 by Brian Neeson of Scottish YES Network.
    BN: The first Yesfans heard of Billy Sherwood was with “The More We Live – Let Go” on Union, then you played on the Talk Tour in 1994. How did the tour position come about?
    BS: I got a call from Trevor Rabin asking if I could come out with them onstage to be a multi-instrumentalist, - playing a variety of instruments, and singing, and more or less filling in some gaps.
    BN: Then you engineered Keys to Ascension 2, which led to you writing most of Open Your Eyes when Yes switched Management companies in 1997. Were those new songs at that time – as you had been writing with Chris since the late 80s?
    BS: The only song which was in existence at that time was “Open Your Eyes” .. (or “Wish I knew”) which was a Conspiracy song, but other than that Chris and I pretty much started from scratch at my studio. We began developing the music and then integrated the other guys to work on the material. It was all very new.
    BN: Due to tragic circumstances you are now the principle on Bass and vocal harmonies. You have big shoes to fill. How influential do you feel you are now in Yes, compared to Open Your Eyes and The Ladder tours?
    BS: I feel pretty much the same as I always did when working with Yes which is to do the best I can in whatever role I’m expected to carry out. Obviously this current position is quite unique. It’s something which none of us expected, so I’m doing the best that I can and hoping that it’s working for everybody – the band .. the fans. It appears to be as we are still out on the road a couple of years later.
    BN: I’ve spoken to Alan previously about covering Bill’s parts. He chose on some songs to follow Bill’s signature themes (like Perpetual Change) and on others to introduce his personal style. You pretty much stay faithful to Chris’s sounds. Is it a conscience thought “I’m not going to meddle with this iconic sound”?
    BS: My sounds have always leaned towards the Squirey tones even in the bands I was in previously playing Bass. The sounds were always similar to Chris, so that was a natural thing for me. As far as the music is concerned I treat it like an orchestral piece which needs to be played by the book. However, there is some room for improv there for instance the Ritual bass solo. I start with Chris’s iconic themes then I branch off with some of my own improv then come back to the theme, so where I can stretch out and do my own thing musically I do, but for the most part these bass lines are not things to jam on. They are a composition and the notes one after another have a purpose and a point within the chords and the structure of the songs, so I respect that and pay attention to that as much as I can.
    BN: You have just finished rehearsals for the UK tour. Any special surprises in the setlist – songs we maybe have not heard for a long time?
    BS: I don’t want to give out spoilers yet, but of course we will be playing Tales, some of the classics that we all know and love, but there are a few new ones which are a surprise for the diehards.
    BN: What is the setlist selection process? Democratic or what, and do you listen to what the fans are asking for?
    BS: (laughs) I’m usually the last to know . I’m a fan of the whole catalogue so there’s nothing I don’t want to play.
    BN: YES 50 US Tour dates will soon be announced and Tales will be dropped, so the album-centric theme which Yes have toured with over the last few years appears to be at its end … or is it? Is Relayer a possibility?
    BS: You never know. I’ve been lobbying for that for years now as it’s one of my favourites. So, I would love that to happen. As of yet it’s not been spoken about, so we’ll just have to see what happens.
    BN: What about new Yes Music? Do you have any plans to record a new album in 2018?
    BS: I would be happy to do a new album. I think enough time has passed now that it’s not disrespectful to Chris and I know that Chris would have wished us to continue. We could make a new album now, and it would be a positive thing.
    BN: You’ve been working on a Chris Squire tribute album – we’ve heard that the record company asked you not do the final mix. What’s going on with that now?
    BS: I really don’t know. This was a shock to me , but sometimes choices are made at a higher level that leave you a little perplexed, and this is one of them.
    BN: Did you know that there is a fan petition going round to have the record company change their minds on this?
    BS: I heard about that. That’s a very kind thing for the fans to do. I appreciate them rallying around the notion, because I know they feel as strongly about it as I do. I have the desire to see it through and make it the best it can be.
    BN: Where are you with Citizen 2 now?
    BS. I’m writing feverishly. The whole album is basically written and I’m now working on the production side. I’ve tracked all the drums myself, and got all the tracks cut. I’m sprinkling overdubs on things now. It’s sounding really cool as a really interesting collection of songs and ideas about where the Citizen character is now.
    BN: It’s so sad that we lost yet another Bass legend in John Wetton, but you have now stepped into that role in Asia. What are the plans for Asia in 2018.
    BS: I’d love to do more shows. It’s just getting the opportunity to do those shows. The shows we did with Journey last year were amazing. It was obviously rough emotionally but we all enjoyed each other’s company, so if it can go on, it will.
    Thank you so much for your time Billy. Looking forward to seeing you on tour in a few days
    Going for the One Hundred 2013.

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

Re: Interview with Billy Sherwood - 11th March 2018

No confirmation of Geoff’s “we hope to start recording in august”, Billy’s again the last to know?

O, and thanks ofcourse for posting this!

Well well....I wonder what the surprises will be in the set list.
    Jon Anderson (2018 interview): "We live for one thing alone and that is to find the divine energy within you, that is connected to the divine energy that surrounds us"

Insane Yesfan

I have a feeling Billy doesn’t want to accidentally spill the beans. He probably knows more than he is letting on. He’s always very diplomatic in interviews.

But it very exciting to hear about surprises in the set list. Hopefully that means a real surprise or two.

Quote Originally Posted by JMKUSA View Post
    I have a feeling Billy doesn’t want to accidentally spill the beans. He probably knows more than he is letting on. He’s always very diplomatic in interviews.

But it very exciting to hear about surprises in the set list. Hopefully that means a real surprise or two.
    "there are a few new ones which are a surprise for the diehards"

Hopefully that means something from post 1983
    -----
    paul
    -----

Insane Yesfan

SYN - Scottish YES Network continues to be at the forefront of all things YESfans.

Many thanks to the ever gracious Billy Sherwood and of course YEScelt, for the interview.
    #YES50

Quote Originally Posted by nzyesfan View Post

Well.....To Be Over, Soundchaser, Future Times/Rejoice and On the Silent Wings of Freedom would suit me fine.....
    Jon Anderson (2018 interview): "We live for one thing alone and that is to find the divine energy within you, that is connected to the divine energy that surrounds us"

Yes-East-West-Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Yescelt View Post
    Interview with Billy Sherwood 11th March 2018 by Brian Neeson of Scottish YES Network.
    BN: The first Yesfans heard of Billy Sherwood was with “The More We Live – Let Go” on Union, then you played on the Talk Tour in 1994. How did the tour position come about?
    BS: I got a call from Trevor Rabin asking if I could come out with them onstage to be a multi-instrumentalist, - playing a variety of instruments, and singing, and more or less filling in some gaps.
    BN: Then you engineered Keys to Ascension 2, which led to you writing most of Open Your Eyes when Yes switched Management companies in 1997. Were those new songs at that time – as you had been writing with Chris since the late 80s?
    BS: The only song which was in existence at that time was “Open Your Eyes” .. (or “Wish I knew”) which was a Conspiracy song, but other than that Chris and I pretty much started from scratch at my studio. We began developing the music and then integrated the other guys to work on the material. It was all very new.
    BN: Due to tragic circumstances you are now the principle on Bass and vocal harmonies. You have big shoes to fill. How influential do you feel you are now in Yes, compared to Open Your Eyes and The Ladder tours?
    BS: I feel pretty much the same as I always did when working with Yes which is to do the best I can in whatever role I’m expected to carry out. Obviously this current position is quite unique. It’s something which none of us expected, so I’m doing the best that I can and hoping that it’s working for everybody – the band .. the fans. It appears to be as we are still out on the road a couple of years later.
    BN: I’ve spoken to Alan previously about covering Bill’s parts. He chose on some songs to follow Bill’s signature themes (like Perpetual Change) and on others to introduce his personal style. You pretty much stay faithful to Chris’s sounds. Is it a conscience thought “I’m not going to meddle with this iconic sound”?
    BS: My sounds have always leaned towards the Squirey tones even in the bands I was in previously playing Bass. The sounds were always similar to Chris, so that was a natural thing for me. As far as the music is concerned I treat it like an orchestral piece which needs to be played by the book. However, there is some room for improv there for instance the Ritual bass solo. I start with Chris’s iconic themes then I branch off with some of my own improv then come back to the theme, so where I can stretch out and do my own thing musically I do, but for the most part these bass lines are not things to jam on. They are a composition and the notes one after another have a purpose and a point within the chords and the structure of the songs, so I respect that and pay attention to that as much as I can.
    BN: You have just finished rehearsals for the UK tour. Any special surprises in the setlist – songs we maybe have not heard for a long time?
    BS: I don’t want to give out spoilers yet, but of course we will be playing Tales, some of the classics that we all know and love, but there are a few new ones which are a surprise for the diehards.
    BN: What is the setlist selection process? Democratic or what, and do you listen to what the fans are asking for?
    BS: (laughs) I’m usually the last to know . I’m a fan of the whole catalogue so there’s nothing I don’t want to play.
    BN: YES 50 US Tour dates will soon be announced and Tales will be dropped, so the album-centric theme which Yes have toured with over the last few years appears to be at its end … or is it? Is Relayer a possibility?
    BS: You never know. I’ve been lobbying for that for years now as it’s one of my favourites. So, I would love that to happen. As of yet it’s not been spoken about, so we’ll just have to see what happens.
    BN: What about new Yes Music? Do you have any plans to record a new album in 2018?
    BS: I would be happy to do a new album. I think enough time has passed now that it’s not disrespectful to Chris and I know that Chris would have wished us to continue. We could make a new album now, and it would be a positive thing.
    BN: You’ve been working on a Chris Squire tribute album – we’ve heard that the record company asked you not do the final mix. What’s going on with that now?
    BS: I really don’t know. This was a shock to me , but sometimes choices are made at a higher level that leave you a little perplexed, and this is one of them.
    BN: Did you know that there is a fan petition going round to have the record company change their minds on this?
    BS: I heard about that. That’s a very kind thing for the fans to do. I appreciate them rallying around the notion, because I know they feel as strongly about it as I do. I have the desire to see it through and make it the best it can be.
    BN: Where are you with Citizen 2 now?
    BS. I’m writing feverishly. The whole album is basically written and I’m now working on the production side. I’ve tracked all the drums myself, and got all the tracks cut. I’m sprinkling overdubs on things now. It’s sounding really cool as a really interesting collection of songs and ideas about where the Citizen character is now.
    BN: It’s so sad that we lost yet another Bass legend in John Wetton, but you have now stepped into that role in Asia. What are the plans for Asia in 2018.
    BS: I’d love to do more shows. It’s just getting the opportunity to do those shows. The shows we did with Journey last year were amazing. It was obviously rough emotionally but we all enjoyed each other’s company, so if it can go on, it will.
    Thank you so much for your time Billy. Looking forward to seeing you on tour in a few days
    Very good interview with a lot of new and some hopefull (setlist) iformation. Interesting that he says: "We could make a new album now, and it would be a positive thing." Leaves room for speculation that they have al lot of material...

Yesfan

Nice interview and thanks for sharing. Love the new songs for the diehards talk.

I found this answer to a new album to be odd and not quite truthful based on all the other comments I have heard about a new album. They haven't released a new album out of respect for Chris Squire? That doesn't make sense if Squire wanted them to make new music

Quote Originally Posted by josuev80 View Post
    I found this answer to a new album to be odd and not quite truthful based on all the other comments I have heard about a new album. They haven't released a new album out of respect for Chris Squire? That doesn't make sense if Squire wanted them to make new music

I just took that to mean that their priority was bedding in the new lineup/rhythm section via touring before looking at a studio followup to H&E. A likely new album in 2019 will be 4 years after Chris passed away. So yeah. That would be respectful.
    -----
    paul
    -----

Insane Yesfan

I just took that to mean that their priority was bedding in the new lineup/rhythm section via touring before looking at a studio followup to H&E. A likely new album in 2019 will be 4 years after Chris passed away. So yeah. That would be respectful.
    Right. Even though Chris wanted them to continue, it might be seen as disrespectful by some if they rushed into the studio to make an album.

I'm excited to hear about the progress on Citizen 2. I loved the first one. And with a truly new studio releases in 2018 from Yes as an entity looking unlikely, Citizen 2 looks like the early front-runner for my most anticipated Yes-related release of the calendar year. Kudos to the interviewer for asking about it, and kudos to Billy for his healthy work ethic and commitment to continue to create and record good music.

The lack of anything definitive in terms of new releases for Yes and Asia remains disappointing. I suppose it is what it is, though, and we've already discussed that a lot in other threads. I will say that the talk of making sure to give enough time to be respectful to Chris Squire is I think an effort to cover for Steve Howe or to address Steve Howe's concerns that they may be arguing about internally. Chris very openly wanted and even demanded that the band go on and make new music without him, and I think Billy knows that better than anyone. It's internal band politics that's holding this up.

Heck, we're a year after John Wetton's death, even, so I don't think a new Asia album would be disrespectful at this point- and John was not nearly as clear as Chris to our knowledge that he wanted Asia to go on and make more new music. Chris practically begged Yes to do it from his deathbed.

Yes and Asia aside, perhaps someone should inquire about a new Circa: album in a future interview? They have a more recent new album than the other two bands, but it was released in 2016, so it's been two years, and seems likely to at least be a third even if they were to get started on a new album after the Yes tour.

I think we all basically consider Yes and Asia to be the more important two bands, but if they are being blocked for reasons beyond Billy's control, Circa: might be something that he can control where he can get us a new band-centric album of some sort. Tony Kaye is the other mainstay with that band, so I suppose his schedule has to be considered, but other than that... I like what Tierney and Connor did on the last one and hope they stay, but not to the point where I'd disrupt scheduling for it if they are unavailable- there are a lot of ex-Circa: members and potential replacements floating around there. I'd just say that it is probably important to keep Circa: as a "real band" with one guy on each instrument (Which is the key differentiator for it relative to Billy Sherwood's solo stuff where he either plays all the instruments himself, or does most of it himself and has guest appearances from other artists on each track, depending on the album), but within that context, lineup changes are fine- there just needs to *be* a lineup. :)

Circa: being an entirely studio thing, as Billy has hinted at in the recent past, is fine with me. But of course to be a studio act, they do need to do things in the studio.

A fourth World Trade album would also be something I'd have interest in.

Or even- and this is a real stretch that's not likely to be happen- but some sort of pseduo-Yes type thing where Billy, Juano, Geoff, Jay, and/or whomever is interested record the Yes album we'd get if Steve Howe would only let them do it. Call the new band "The Affirmative" or something. Would I rather it truly be a Yes album? Sure. But if they are getting blocked one way, maybe they can get the music out another way. Kansas did something like this when their lead singer didn't want to do new music and the rest of the band did- everyone continued with the live Kansas, but released a psuedo-Kansas type album featuring the entire band with the exception of a substitution for the lead singer under a different band name, that was openly "This is the Kansas album we'd release if we could release a Kansas album" (This was prior to that lead singer retiring and the band actually being able to release a real Kansas album as Kansas a couple years ago).

Anyway, I don't mean to put this all on Billy. It's just that I really enjoy his work, and he seems like the main guy in the band who has the means (owns his own studio) and the desire to record new music on a regular basis that is either recorded by a band, or done in such a way as to sound like it is (i.e. his solo albums may feature him playing most of the instruments, but the "right" instruments are there, it's not all instrumental guitar or something).
    Last edited by downbyariver; 03-12-2018 at 01:17 AM.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

Insane Yesfan

+1

material from OYE, the Ladder, H&E would be very approrirate

Quote Originally Posted by downbyariver View Post
    Anyway, I don't mean to put this all on Billy.
    And so you shouldn't.

Howe/White (and Downes?) as principles will decide when the time is right for Yes to go back into the studio. I can't imagine much resistance from White and Downes so really, and as noted multiple times elsewhere, they aren't going into the studio until Howe agrees to. He won't even look at booking dates unless the material is strong enough. It will be album number 3 since the reboot in 2008 and after the experiences with FFH (into the studio to record already prepared tracks with the 2008 lineup, added ffh, expanded ffh, abandoned original tracks, new lineup) and H&E (rushed due to impending tour dates, poor reception, tracks leaked, Producer issues) he will quite rightly want to get this next one right. No artist in their right mind enjoys releasing material they aren't happy with so lets hope the upcoming "mystery period" is a productive writing/recording period.
    -----
    paul
    -----

Yes-East-West-Fan

Quote Originally Posted by xlink_nz View Post
    +1

material from OYE, the Ladder, H&E would be very approrirate
    +2

Unfortunately not the most relistic scenario, but it would be cool if they opened with New State Of Mind with Steve and Billy crossing guitars and Jon Davison playing bass...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    Well.....To Be Over, Soundchaser, Future Times/Rejoice would suit me fine.....
    Yes!! And maybe an Ancient UFO... Gonna be a fun 50th!

Howe/White (and Downes?) as principles will decide when the time is right for Yes to go back into the studio. I can't imagine much resistance from White and Downes so really, and as noted multiple times elsewhere, they aren't going into the studio until Howe agrees to. He won't even look at booking dates unless the material is strong enough. It will be album number 3 since the reboot in 2008 and after the experiences with FFH (into the studio to record already prepared tracks with the 2008 lineup, added ffh, expanded ffh, abandoned original tracks, new lineup) and H&E (rushed due to impending tour dates, poor reception, tracks leaked, Producer issues) he will quite rightly want to get this next one right. No artist in their right mind enjoys releasing material they aren't happy with so lets hope the upcoming "mystery period" is a productive writing/recording period.
    I respect the hell out of Steve Howe. He's a living legend. However, I think if age is a state of mind, sometimes he strikes me as being exactly as old as his birth certificate says he is. Honestly, its not any different with the other faction. Maybe part of hitting your 70s is a natural desire to look back on your glory years and bask in them a little rather than stretching toward the next horizon, and its totally understandable, especially given where the financial incentives are in the industry right now.

*However*, my natural desire as a fan of Yes is to see them make new music. I am also extremely skeptical of the idea that waiting five years to forever makes the music any better.

I tend to think of it as 17 years after Magnification rather than 10 years since the 2008 reboot. They were always planning to come back.

I think a good producer and allowing Billy, Juano, and Geoff to camp out at the studio would result in some good things. Sherwood is 52 and has been in the business since he was 16. He was in two major label bands in the 80s. I don't always get the sense that he's got the level of respect from Steve that he should be given. Its natural to think of this college age guy you met when you were in your 40s or 50s as being just some kid, but the truth is that he is now this very experienced veteran player. Geoff's track record speaks for itself. And Juano is the guy Steve picked 6 years ago. Show some confidence in their abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterCologne View Post
    it would be cool if they opened with New State Of Mind with Steve and Billy crossing guitars and Jon Davison playing bass...
    Agreed. The band has an incredible past. Its been a wild 50 years. I'd love to get the sense that they were reigniting the spark and going for another 50 as a creatively active band.
    Last edited by downbyariver; 03-12-2018 at 07:41 PM.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

Thanks Brian for sharing , I really hope you are treated to TBO and or Arriving UFO / OTSWOF on the forth coming European tour

we will know soon

01011001 01100101 01110011 The Whale's Avatar

Great interview, thanks for sharing Brian!
    "That's just, like, your opinion, man." ~ The Dude

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast