Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: NO Tony Kaye for UK dates in March

Getting Over Overhanging Trees cerulean's Avatar

NO Tony Kaye for UK dates in March

Anyone know why? Hopefully not health related.

From Yesworld:

#YES50 TOUR commences Tuesday 13th March

Latest Tour News:

Bristol and Manchester have now sold out. Other venues have extra tickets released.Trevor Horn confirmed as special guest at London (both shows) and Paris.
    Fans considering Paris are advised to check the L’Olympia Box Office as this show has had a few more seats released which will sell out rapidly.
    Founder member Tony Kaye is unable to appear on this side of the Atlantic but is slated to join the band in the USA in June and July.

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

Re: NO Tony Kaye for UK dates in March

Didn't someone say a while back that he's not able to fly? I'm assuming Tony was able to take some other mode of transportation to make it for Florida for the cruise.
    "If you slice me in two, I’m prog all the way through.”
    - Mr. Poms

https://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    Didn't someone say a while back that he's not able to fly? I'm assuming Tony was able to take some other mode of transportation to make it for Florida for the cruise.
    That was cited as the reason for him not attending the Hall of Fame induction, yes, an inability to fly safely due to an undisclosed medical condition.

Of course, if that is still the case, then it is absolutely the right decision for him not to attempt to fly to England. *However*, it does seem like if it was a long-term pre-existing condition, Yes could have simply not booked him for a tour they should have known he couldn't make in the first place. There are probably at least a few people who have already purchased tickets specifically to see Tony. I'm not going to give Yes too much grief over this one, lineup subject to change and all that- technically they could come out with 5 competely different guys than they had when the shows went on sale and it'd still likely be legal. It just sounds like it could have been handled better.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

If he were in ARW and did this you would have ripped them.

Quote Originally Posted by downbyariver View Post
    That was cited as the reason for him not attending the Hall of Fame induction, yes, an inability to fly safely due to an undisclosed medical condition.

Of course, if that is still the case, then it is absolutely the right decision for him not to attempt to fly to England. *However*, it does seem like if it was a long-term pre-existing condition, Yes could have simply not booked him for a tour they should have known he couldn't make in the first place. There are probably at least a few people who have already purchased tickets specifically to see Tony. I'm not going to give Yes too much grief over this one, lineup subject to change and all that- technically they could come out with 5 competely different guys than they had when the shows went on sale and it'd still likely be legal. It just sounds like it could have been handled better.
    "YES" - Music that could make God cry with joy. Either you get it or you don't.

That's a shame. We'll get Trevor Horn again, I'm guessing. The one I'd really like to see make at least one appearance is Patrick Moraz, but I'm far from counting on it...
    My book Solid Mental Grace: Listening to the Music of Yes is now available and will be launched on 25 March 2018. It is 222pp and priced at £12. It can be ordered from the publishers here. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/solidmentalgrace/ North American orders via Amazon here. Message me if you're having any difficulty getting hold of a copy.

Super Mega Insane Yesfan josuev80's Avatar

He can fly from here

Quote Originally Posted by 1yesfan View Post
    You bet he would in at least 1000 words.

Quote Originally Posted by simonbarrow View Post
    That's a shame. We'll get Trevor Horn again, I'm guessing. The one I'd really like to see make at least one appearance is Patrick Moraz, but I'm far from counting on it...
    Sad Tony can't make it... But Horn will be fun to see for fans and I wonder what he'll sing or maybe play?? Sad Night at The Airfield?? hmmm. But you are right about Moraz Simon. That would be such a treat!! I don't understand the murky nature of that rumour. Alan seemed to think it was a go....? Wonder what the deal is.

Yes-East-West-Fan

I was thinking that as well. But if it is a general problem that he is not able to fly they maybe would not have announced his appearance in europe right from the start. Might be something like an actual problem. All the best for Tony anyway.

Envy you for Trevor Horn. Might add something from Return Trip? Wish that you guys in London get Moraz as well f.e. Maybe was he was to be there anyway, maybe he kind of sits in for Tony now. Would be just better though to have both, for Tonys health alone.

Getting Over Overhanging Trees cerulean's Avatar

Not up North!

London (and sometimes Dharamasala, India)

Bummer
    26/10/77 (Wembley); 26/10/78 (Wembley); 14/12/80 and 16/12/80 (Hammersmith); 11/7/84 and 12/7/84 (Wembley); 8/12/87 (Montreal); 23/8/89 (ABWH - Ottawa); ... The Wilderness Years ...; 16/6/04 (Wembley); 17/11/09 (Hammersmith); 17/11/11 (Hammersmith); 26/3/13, 27/3/13 and 29/3/13 (Cruise to the Edge); 8/4/14 and 9/4/14 (Cruise to the Edge); 8/5/14 (Royal Albert Hall); 15/11/15 and 16/11/15 (Cruise to the Edge); 10/5/16 (Royal Albert Hall); 19/3/17 (ARW - Hammersmith); 24/3/18 and 25/3/18 (London Palladium)

Lucky enough to have seen Trevor H with the current Yes line up.
    Seen Tony with Yes West, Circa & Yoso....enjoy the dude Stateside.
    But never seen Patrick with the band. We’ve been promised something special for the 50th. So bring him on for the UK shows, or London at least.

Quote Originally Posted by somissound View Post
    But you are right about Moraz Simon. That would be such a treat!! I don't understand the murky nature of that rumour. Alan seemed to think it was a go....? Wonder what the deal is.
    Well, who knows what subterranean interpersonal politics subsists in Yesworld? That said, YesO seems infinitely less ego-bound than previous incarnations of the band, so that's hopeful. It just leaves the slightly crazy Pat, lawyers, accountants, publicists etc.

The only time I've seen Moraz live was when he did an impromptu improv with Peter Banks at YesFest 1994 in New York. I'm sure it was filmed, and there was a VHS from the convention (which I've not seen). But that would be a real treasure if it surfaced...
    My book Solid Mental Grace: Listening to the Music of Yes is now available and will be launched on 25 March 2018. It is 222pp and priced at £12. It can be ordered from the publishers here. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/solidmentalgrace/ North American orders via Amazon here. Message me if you're having any difficulty getting hold of a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by dantalion90125 View Post
    But never seen Patrick with the band. We’ve been promised something special for the 50th. So bring him on for the UK shows, or London at least.
    Or, as I would put that, "Glasgow at least". Dead right, though.

So, after all the hype, there will be no original Yes member on the UK 50th Anniversary tour!

Quote Originally Posted by Caped Crusader View Post
    So, after all the hype, there will be no original Yes member on the UK 50th Anniversary tour!

Depends which band you see, I guess -:)

Quote Originally Posted by highfell View Post
    Depends which band you see, I guess -:)
    Not at all. YfARW will have an original member, the true voice of the band, when it performs in the UK this year.

Don't you find it very odd (at the very least) that this key information is released within a few days of the start of the Yes Official tour?

Not at all. YfARW will have an original member, the true voice of the band, when it performs in the UK this year.

Don't you find it very odd (at the very least) that this key information is released within a few days of the start of the Yes Official tour?
    Can’t blame Brian Lane for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1yesfan View Post
    I think all I said when Lee Pomeroy missed some dates is that it demonstrated that, as per the billing, he wasn't really a featured member of the band and was just there to facilitate the main three performing. That doesn't mean he's not a talented guy, of course. It just means that they seem to feel he's kind of interchangeable in the dynamic they've set up, which is something you can kind of tell by the way they stick him in the back row with his vocals mixed really, really low. He may be very talented, but they hide him, which is fine, I suppose.

I don't know if that's ripping them ARW. And I did say that if this was a known condition, Yes should not have advertised Tony Kaye for these dates. I'd say I excused and slammed both bands about equally in those two somewhat comparable situations.

Well, it is 50 years on. Two of the original five are dead and one is very retired. A fourth can't fly for health reasons. So, what do you expect? I think to some degree, as fans of a band that started back in 1969, we're all either going to have to get over this whole fixation on "classic" and "original" performers to some degree if we want to continue to enjoy the band, or variations on it, for much longer, whether in terms of new albums or in terms of live performances. It's kind of surprising that any of them are ever out there at all for anything. And, clearly, some of the ones who are are struggling in certain ways periodically due to age and health and whatnot.

Still, if you want to talk about the glory days of Yes as being 1970-1987, Yes is going to feature Steve Howe, Alan White, Geoff Downes, and Trevor Horn all from that era on their UK tour, some in greater roles than others. When they go back to the states, you can add Tony Kaye to that unless this is a new health condition or whatever that will force them not to include him long-term. Pat Moraz is a possibility. And, obviously, they'll play a lot of the old music, including I would guess at least "Survival" from the very first album, as they did that one in the US last summer.

As for the "youngsters" (Relative, because we're talking people in their 40s and 50s), Billy Sherwood and Jay Schellen were tearing the roof off the place when I saw them in the US tour in 2016 and were excellent on Topographic Drama (A live album that came out last year). Sherwood is the best bassist I've seen live, personally- granted I never got see Chris Squire live, and I don't attend many concerts in general, but when I'm more focused on the bass player than the legendary lead guitarist who was voted the best guitar player in the world 5 years running (And is one of my favorite guitarists), I think that says something positive about the bass player. And, as for Schellen, he was 8 days after being tapped to replace Alan White to do some very complex music (We'd both agree that a Yes concert that included Drama, 2.5 sides of Tales, and more is hard to play, right?), he was really rocking from his very first night (Which I was at). He sounded like a young Alan White.

Actually, I'm listening to part of the Duke of the Orient album right now, which is mostly or all Jay Schellen drumming. I mean, people sometimes act like Yes Official is just Steve Howe and four other guys, or Steve and Alan White and three other guys, but I look at my music collection and Downes and Sherwood and Schellen are in a ton of stuff I've really liked. Downes is a legend from Asia and the Buggles and more. Schellen is the least known of the three, but yet has been in Circa:, Asia, GPS, and Dukes of the Orient along with Yes as a touring musician. Sherwood's resume could add an extra 1,000 words to this post- he's been in practically everything. None of them are random dudes picked up off the street or something, and two of the three actually have long on and off histories with Yes, as members of the band itself, and in related projects with other members of the Yes family.

I understand that some people are going to like Jon Davison and some people aren't going to want to accept a voice other than Jon Anderson or just don't like Davison's voice in particular, *but* he can definitely hit the right notes in the right keys, no one can deny that, and he's got some of the spirituality that Anderson had, and did a lot of writing on the last album (One may or may not enjoy what he wrote, but he did write things, which is a skill). He also did I think 3.5 Glass Hammer albums, plus some bonus tracks for a re-release of one he wasn't on, and wrote some songs for those. He might have the shortest resume of the group, but it's not like he's done nothing prior to Yes. Some people even know him from a band called Sky Cries Mary.

I think they are putting a quality group on stage. I just wish they'd record an album already.

And, hey, for those who want a guy from 1969 on stage in the UK, maybe they can get Bill Bruford to drop by and wave.

That last comment I made was a little glib, so I do want to make sure to say this:

If you bought tickets specifically to see Tony Kaye, who is an awesome rock and roll Hammond organ player, and are upset that he won't be there, I think that's a legitimate complaint, especially if they had reason to know that he wouldn't be there before they put tickets on sale. I personally, were I managing the band, would ask venues to refund tickets in full to anyone who makes that specific complaint and turns in their tickets to be resold promptly (Maybe up until a week before each show? Have to put some kind of limit on that so there is an opportunity for the venues to try to resell them).

That said, if anyone in that situation wasn't sure about or wasn't familiar with the rest of the band and asked me as a regular guy if I thought they would still enjoy the show, I'd say, yes, I think you'll still enjoy the show. Go and have fun. :) They've got a good group of guys on stage playing some great music.

Obviously, that doesn't apply to anyone who is dead set on only enjoying Yes music if Jon Anderson is up there on stage, but I think anyone who feels that way didn't buy tickets to this in the first place unless they got really confused. :) If you're just a fan of the music and want to see good musicians play it- you'll get that. It's a nice mix of accomplished legendary players who plus some very strong players who were arguably born in the wrong era. We can take it as a given that a lot of guys in their 60s and 70s don't play like their did in their 20s or 30s, but it's still a strong show.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

And, hey, big picture here, how many other bands that started when Yes did are still around, even in their own very specific sub-genre? Genesis isn't. ELP isn't. King Crimson is, but with a radically reworked lineup (I think Robert Fripp is the only one left from the 70s, right?).

It's sometimes worth taking a step back and saying "Hey, it's 2018, we're lucky to have them.". Who would have expected it in 1969? If you want to see Genesis or ELP, you can't see them at any price with any lineup.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast