Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 310

Thread: Wakeman says they should not have used the name YES again

  1. #1
    New music from both YES's please sherwoodfish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,234
    Rep Power
    107374395

    Wakeman says they should not have used the name YES again

    OK , new interview with Rick Wakeman

    see

    http://revistasoyrock.com.ar/entrevi...nombre-de-yes/



    google translates the main heading


    No debimos haber vuelto a usar el nombre de Yes”

    translates to


    " We should not have used the name Yes again "



    translate away the rest of the article if you wish





  2. #2
    War ... just breaks the soul Bluegrunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,109
    Rep Power
    107374951

    Re: Wakeman says they should not have used the name YES again

    I translated the whole thing and then lost the post here on YF.
    I'm not doing it again.

    Here's a bit

    -How is your relationship with Howe and "the other Yes"?
    -No relationship with them, to be honest. It is not sadness or anger what I have, the [in] truth does not matter to me. Because they can do whatever they want. I did contact Steve when his youngest son died last September, sadly. I wrote to him, and then I talked about that with Dylan, his other son. They do what they want, there will always be discussions about the material, they will say that ours is not Yes, we will say that you can not have Yes without Jon Anderson singing, and so on. So what you do is fine, it does not affect me.
    Lame, naive, laughable and stupid

  3. #3
    Mega Yesfan
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    306
    Rep Power
    107374257

    Re: Wakeman says they should not have used the name YES again

    Another bit:

    -You were just talking about the 50th anniversary of Yes and recently announced that with Jon Anderson and Trevor Rabin they are going to do three shows in June, in London, as a celebration. What other plans do you have?
    -What is happening with Yes is ridiculously confusing. I never wanted to use the name. When Jon Anderson, Trevor and I got into trouble for using the name, I said "done, you're done", because I knew this was going to happen. We had an identity like ARW, and we had been doing it really well, playing even Yes songs. The moment we became Yes Featuring Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman became all confusing. Steve Howe's band, Yes by Steve Howe, is doing concerts in England and literally every day they ask us if it's us. No, it's a different band. We should never do that. People knew what he would find when we called ourselves ARW. But back to your question, we will do those shows in London, a couple in Europe and ...

  4. #4
    The 5th Yes Guitarist Rabin105's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Trumbull CT
    Age
    31
    Posts
    14,507
    Rep Power
    107375204

    Re: Wakeman says they should not have used the name YES again

    I agree
    Chris Squire RIP 1948-2015 thank you for every album every song every moment... the world will truly never be the same again.
    Yes is Steve Howe Geoff Downes Jon Davison Billy Sherwood Alan White Jay Schellen and Tony Kaye and they have my support.
    GTT

  5. #5
    SR Mega Yesfan
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,641
    Rep Power
    107375008

    Wakeman: "I never wanted to use the [Yes] name."

    An interview from earlier this month... in Spanish: http://revistasoyrock.com.ar/entrevi...nombre-de-yes/

    Wakeman says:

    Lo que está pasando con Yes es ridículamente confuso. Nunca quise usar el nombre. Cuando a Jon Anderson, Trevor y a mí nos hicieron problema por usar el nombre dije “listo, ya está”, porque sabía que iba a pasar esto. Nosotros teníamos una identidad como ARW, y lo veníamos haciendo realmente bien, tocando incluso canciones de Yes. En el momento que pasamos a ser Yes Featuring Anderson, Rabin y Wakeman se volvió todo confuso. La banda de Steve Howe, el Yes de Steve Howe, está haciendo conciertos en Inglaterra y literalmente todos los días nos preguntan si somos nosotros. No, es una banda diferente. Nunca debimos hacer eso. La gente sabía que se encontraría cuando nos llamábamos ARW.

    With a bit of help from Google... that's:

    What is happening with Yes is ridiculously confusing. I never wanted to use the name. When Jon Anderson, Trevor and I got into trouble for using the name, I said "OK, that's it", because I knew this was going to happen. We had an identity as ARW, and we had been doing it really well, even playing Yes songs. The moment we became Yes Featuring Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman, it became all confusing. Steve Howe's band, Yes by Steve Howe, is doing concerts in England and literally every day they ask us if it's us. No, it's a different band. We should never do that. People knew what he would find when we called ourselves ARW.

    Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the Yes news blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

  6. #6
    Super Mega Yesfan TommyTopographic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Age
    31
    Posts
    805
    Rep Power
    107374398

    Re: Wakeman: "I never wanted to use the [Yes] name."

    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    An interview from earlier this month... in Spanish: http://revistasoyrock.com.ar/entrevi...nombre-de-yes/

    Wakeman says:

    Lo que está pasando con Yes es ridículamente confuso. Nunca quise usar el nombre. Cuando a Jon Anderson, Trevor y a mí nos hicieron problema por usar el nombre dije “listo, ya está”, porque sabía que iba a pasar esto. Nosotros teníamos una identidad como ARW, y lo veníamos haciendo realmente bien, tocando incluso canciones de Yes. En el momento que pasamos a ser Yes Featuring Anderson, Rabin y Wakeman se volvió todo confuso. La banda de Steve Howe, el Yes de Steve Howe, está haciendo conciertos en Inglaterra y literalmente todos los días nos preguntan si somos nosotros. No, es una banda diferente. Nunca debimos hacer eso. La gente sabía que se encontraría cuando nos llamábamos ARW.

    With a bit of help from Google... that's:

    What is happening with Yes is ridiculously confusing. I never wanted to use the name. When Jon Anderson, Trevor and I got into trouble for using the name, I said "OK, that's it", because I knew this was going to happen. We had an identity as ARW, and we had been doing it really well, even playing Yes songs. The moment we became Yes Featuring Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman, it became all confusing. Steve Howe's band, Yes by Steve Howe, is doing concerts in England and literally every day they ask us if it's us. No, it's a different band. We should never do that. People knew what he would find when we called ourselves ARW.

    Henry
    I agree with him but he does have a way of making things sound negative these days though doesn't he? It's done now Rick, make the best of it.
    CHECK OUT MY BAND SAHARA SKY AT.. http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Sahara_Sky/

  7. #7
    Super Mega Yesfan TommyTopographic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Age
    31
    Posts
    805
    Rep Power
    107374398

    Re: Wakeman: "I never wanted to use the [Yes] name."

    Plus he didn't sound too against it when he was spouting the 'Holy trinity' cobblers.
    CHECK OUT MY BAND SAHARA SKY AT.. http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Sahara_Sky/

  8. #8
    Polishing the mirror Enlighten's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,008
    Rep Power
    107374654

    Re: Wakeman: "I never wanted to use the [Yes] name."

    Quote Originally Posted by TommyTopographic View Post
    I agree with him but he does have a way of making things sound negative these days though doesn't he? It's done now Rick, make the best of it.
    “These days”??? Dude’s been a grumpy old man since the Union Tour ended.

  9. #9
    SR Mega Yesfan
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,641
    Rep Power
    107375008

    Re: Wakeman: "I never wanted to use the [Yes] name."

    Quote Originally Posted by TommyTopographic View Post
    Plus he didn't sound too against it when he was spouting the 'Holy trinity' cobblers.
    He denied ever saying that, having not seemed to notice that the band's own publicity said that.

    Thanks to whoever merged the threads. Sorry, sherwoodfish1, I didn't notice you'd already started one.

    Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the Yes news blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

  10. #10
    Yes-East-West-Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Cologne, Germany
    Age
    56
    Posts
    6,631
    Rep Power
    107374813

    Re: Wakeman says they should not have used the name YES again

    Wakeman is just wrong here. I have many faults and limitations - but I still can manage really good to live with two Yes. It is not confusing to me, it is enriching, given that one of those Yes' more or less disappoints me since ten years. I don't think that many Yesfans really have a problem not being able to devide between two Yes... come on... And those who do not have my Problem with one of those two Yes' can enjoy two...

    And all in all, so far it is just Wakeman who is saying this. YesF is driven much more by the other two.

    I would love to have one good Yes again. As good as it can get these days. But so far YesF is just closer to that and it is good and justified that those three appear as well under the Name of Yes. .

  11. #11
    SR Mega Yesfan
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,641
    Rep Power
    107375008

    Re: Wakeman says they should not have used the name YES again

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterCologne View Post
    And all in all, so far it is just Wakeman who is saying this. YesF is driven much more by the other two.
    Rabin said last year, "I really don’t care about the name. I was happy calling it ARW." It's only one of them, or rather one of them and their manager, who wanted the Yes name.

    Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the Yes news blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

  12. #12
    Super Yesfan Trooper2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    229
    Rep Power
    107374444

    Re: Wakeman says they should not have used the name YES again

    Other than the ARW name preference, interesting answer to the new music question:

    - They plan to record a disc with this formation?
    -We think a lot about that idea, something with two or three very good songs and three or four that are good. Then we realized that these days you do not have to make an album, yes we are working on those two or three very good songs, which we really believe are the best and will be released as an EP . We prioritize those songs instead of making an album for the simple fact of recording more music.

  13. #13
    Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Happy cows come from California.
    Age
    53
    Posts
    9,363
    Rep Power
    107374826

    Re: Wakeman says they should not have used the name YES again

    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    It's only one of them, or rather one of them and their manager, who wanted the Yes name.
    Yep. And I appreciate that Rick - if we can believe him - said it wasn't the best of decisions to make. Sorry Peter, I don't think Rick is wrong at all in his opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blencathra View Post
    Another bit:
    But back to your question, we will do those shows in London, a couple in Europe and ...
    So...what? What comes after that?
    But a "couple" means there's only going to be one other European show announced so I was close on that prediction. So only five shows in June, I guess.
    "If you slice me in two, I’m prog all the way through.”
    - Mr. Poms

    https://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

  14. #14
    SR Mega Yesfan
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,641
    Rep Power
    107375008

    Re: Wakeman says they should not have used the name YES again

    Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    So...what? What comes after that?
    But a "couple" means there's only going to be one other European show announced so I was close on that prediction. So only five shows in June, I guess.
    Wakeman talks about not doing too many shows. As I said before, this was what he was saying a decade and a half ago: fewer, bigger shows. Maybe we should get used to 5-date ARW tours.

    As a fan, I want more, smaller shows but I'm sympathetic to Wakeman's health concerns. But if you are going to do fewer, bigger shows, you need to make them special. What are they going to do to on that front?

    Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the Yes news blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

  15. #15
    Dog Faced Boy Yorkshire Square's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Trailer park of broken hearts
    Age
    51
    Posts
    5,601
    Rep Power
    107374714

    Re: Wakeman says they should not have used the name YES again

    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Wakeman talks about not doing too many shows. As I said before, this was what he was saying a decade and a half ago: fewer, bigger shows. Maybe we should get used to 5-date ARW tours.

    As a fan, I want more, smaller shows but I'm sympathetic to Wakeman's health concerns. But if you are going to do fewer, bigger shows, you need to make them special. What are they going to do to on that front?

    Henry
    Well with York Barbican and Newcastle City Hall it looks like they're doing fewer and smaller shows. The Barbican is not much bigger than our village hall. It's a nice venue though...
    You little punks think you own this town

  16. #16
    Mega Insane Yesfan
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Age
    59
    Posts
    3,215
    Rep Power
    107374376

    Re: Wakeman says they should not have used the name YES again

    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Square View Post
    Well with York Barbican and Newcastle City Hall it looks like they're doing fewer and smaller shows. The Barbican is not much bigger than our village hall. It's a nice venue though...
    Both around 2000 capacity?

  17. #17
    Dog Faced Boy Yorkshire Square's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Trailer park of broken hearts
    Age
    51
    Posts
    5,601
    Rep Power
    107374714

    Re: Wakeman says they should not have used the name YES again

    Quote Originally Posted by Don the Cap View Post
    Both around 2000 capacity?
    1500 seated at York. 1450 seated at Catterick Village Hall...
    You little punks think you own this town

  18. #18
    SR Mega Yesfan
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,641
    Rep Power
    107375008

    Re: Wakeman says they should not have used the name YES again

    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Square View Post
    Well with York Barbican and Newcastle City Hall it looks like they're doing fewer and smaller shows. The Barbican is not much bigger than our village hall. It's a nice venue though...
    True, but they're warm up shows for Stone Free. And The O2 has a 20,000 capacity.

    Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the Yes news blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

  19. #19
    Super Yesfan Bad Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    193
    Rep Power
    62546422

    Re: Wakeman says they should not have used the name YES again

    The O2 Arena has the second highest seating capacity of any indoor venue in the United Kingdom at 20,000

  20. #20
    SR Super Yesfan
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6,493
    Rep Power
    107374659

    Re: Wakeman says they should not have used the name YES again

    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper2112 View Post
    Other than the ARW name preference, interesting answer to the new music question:

    - They plan to record a disc with this formation?
    -We think a lot about that idea, something with two or three very good songs and three or four that are good. Then we realized that these days you do not have to make an album, yes we are working on those two or three very good songs, which we really believe are the best and will be released as an EP . We prioritize those songs instead of making an album for the simple fact of recording more music.
    Good points. When I bought FFH I ended up putting Side A and Hour of Need with Big Bhuda Song from Suvival And Other Stories and one track from the Living Tree and then calling it a hybrid Yes album "Living From Here". Decent Yes album gone directly to iPod.

    Or, you could park The Game, Subway Walls and To Ascend with Awaken live with Todmobile.

    Throw in an APB bonus track or Aliens trio live.

    Do up your own cover.

    Fans reintegrate Yes as personal playlist.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •