Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which musicians have guested live with Yes

Mega Yesfan

Which musicians have guested live with Yes

I know about Jimmy Page in 1984 on "I'm Down" and Geddy Lee on " Roundabout" at the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame, but are there any other guest appearances at Yes gigs?

Re: Which musicians have guested live with Yes

They really aren't a band that makes this kind of thing conducive.

Quote Originally Posted by mcnpauls View Post
    I know about Jimmy Page in 1984 on "I'm Down" and Geddy Lee on " Roundabout" at the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame, but are there any other guest appearances at Yes gigs?
    Mostly just former Yes members. Trevor Horn guested for a song on several live appearances a year or two ago. Trevor Rabin did "Owner of a Lonely Heart" live with Benoit David, Chris Squire, Steve Howe, Alan White, and Oliver Wakeman in 2010 when Yes came to LA. Tony Kaye did a couple shows with Yes on a cruise earlier in 2018 and will be touring with them (I don't know at which point this becomes "temporarily rejoining the band" vs a guest appearance, but the distinction probably doesn't matter).
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

Iron Butterfly or maybe it was vice-versa

Yes-East-West-Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Enlighten View Post
    They really aren't a band that makes this kind of thing conducive.
    True, jam-bands or bands that otherweise improvise more or less, f.e. also Bluesbands, are more compatible for having guests.

Mega Insane Yesfan

European Festival Orchestra.......

Dylan Howe (touring musician, 23 shows 2017)
    Adam Wakeman (Starship Trooper, Manchester 26 Feb 98)
    Ian Wallace (One show 5 Nov 68)
    Virgil Howe (West Palm Beach 08 Aug 98
    -----
    paul
    -----

Casey Young

dreamland connecticut. to the left of the garden of geda

Well... there was that one time at MSG when Jon had everyone doing the.. ooooooooommmmmmmm...ooooommmmmmm... thing with that mother earth lady on stage, she didn't play a instrument but she ooooomed real well.... I forgot here real name but I think it was around 2002 or so, I think I remember Rick seemed it wen't on a little to long, he paced back and forth behind the keyboards a few times and was ready to carry on with the show... but no.... we all kept ooooooooooooooming along until Jon was ready to stop. A bunch of people sitting around me had enough and wen't and got beers.

I was there.... great show... one of the biggest crowd noises EVER when it came to the end of And you and I... wow!

personally... I would love to see Gene Simmons jam right along side of Steve Howe... while Gene did his drooling of the blood gig, the thought of that blood splatter getting on Steve's Gibson 175 would be priceless.

still undefined

Quote Originally Posted by crotale2112 View Post
    I forgot here real name but I think it was around 2002 or so
    It was Audrey Kitagawa, at a show in Madison Square Garden in New York City, on 13 May 2004.
    My book Solid Mental Grace: Listening to the Music of Yes is now available and will be launched on 25 March 2018. It is 222pp and priced at £12. It can be ordered from the publishers here. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/solidmentalgrace/ North American orders via Amazon here. Message me if you're having any difficulty getting hold of a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by simonbarrow View Post
    It was Audrey Kitagawa, at a show in Madison Square Garden in New York City, on 13 May 2004.
    Causing the show to run over, which triggered a very large contractual payout from the band to the venue, which the guys wanted Jon to pay and which Jon refused to pay, forcing the band members who hadn't wanted the segment in the first place to help pay for the overrun out of the Yes general fund. It's probably one of the top half dozen publicly known trigger points that eventually split the band, not counting whatever was happening behind the scenes that hasn't come out yet and may never come out, of course. It's sort of one of those days that will live in infamy in Yes history kind of deals- with all due respect to Kitagawa's spiritual ministry, of course.

I've seen video from it and there were definitely a lot of boos, more and more when the segment went on. Other people were of course cheering, but even among the crowd at the event, it was divisive.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

Indeed. The Kitagawa episode certainly wasn't the best prepared, executed, timed and well-judged concert 'innovation', to put it mildly.

Now... what would have eventuated if Yes *had* allowed Peter Banks to join them for one unrehearsed sit-in encore on the 'Union' tour...? Would the band have benefited or lost out to any significant degree?
    My book Solid Mental Grace: Listening to the Music of Yes is now available and will be launched on 25 March 2018. It is 222pp and priced at £12. It can be ordered from the publishers here. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/solidmentalgrace/ North American orders via Amazon here. Message me if you're having any difficulty getting hold of a copy.

JR Yesfan, senior Yes fan khatrooper's Avatar

Canada2 Re: Which musicians have guested live with Yes

Cellist Susanne Beer on From the Balcony at London in March 1998.
    Children's choirs
    on No Way We Can Lose at LA in July 1998
    and on Nine Voices at Chicago in Nov 2002.

'The Devine Mother' at MSG, perhaps playing something, or someone, but she's no musician.

Quote Originally Posted by josuev80 View Post
    Casey Young
    Good one.

Quote Originally Posted by simonbarrow View Post
    Now... what would have eventuated if Yes *had* allowed Peter Banks to join them for one unrehearsed sit-in encore on the 'Union' tour...? Would the band have benefited or lost out to any significant degree?
    I don't know that it would have had much effect on the then-future of Yes, but it would have been the right thing to do. I've kind of heard in vague terms in passing that he was living in relative poverty towards the end of his life and was underappreciated, and it would have been nice if he could have gotten a little more recognition and income from that recognition while he was alive. Billy Sherwood threw him a few things here and there, and some turned out well. I still enjoy Peter Banks' guitar playing on the Prog Collective's "Social Circles" (A Sherwood project).

Was he as good as Steve Howe or Trevor Rabin? Not in my opinion. *However*, he was a good guitarist without reference to anything but guitarists in general. He just happened to have started a band that eventually involved two of the best of all-time (Well, with Rabin, I'll say that he could have been one of the best of all-time, he abandoned rock and roll pretty early and doesn't have the body of work to really support that assertion, I suppose). Banks was a co-founder of one of my favorite bands of all-time and I think Steve Howe was picking up some elements of his style along with other influences when he joined (After all, Yes was mostly playing Banks era material live when Howe first joined the band, and Howe even appears on an alternate cover to Time and a Word that was released in some markets)- that Banks was the founder of the band influenced what Yes music became and was long after he had left it.

Quote Originally Posted by downbyariver View Post
    Banks was a co-founder of one of my favorite bands of all-time and I think Steve Howe was picking up some elements of his style along with other influences when he joined
    I think Banks’ influence on Howe is probably underappreciated. While “Clap” made it clear that Yes’ new guitarist was no Peter Banks, the guitar parts on “Starship Trooper,” “a Venture,” and “Perpetual Change” don’t sound like that much of a departure from the guitar parts on “Astral Traveller” or “Then” (imo, of course).

dreamland connecticut. to the left of the garden of geda

Quote Originally Posted by downbyariver View Post
    Causing the show to run over, which triggered a very large contractual payout from the band to the venue, which the guys wanted Jon to pay and which Jon refused to pay, forcing the band members who hadn't wanted the segment in the first place to help pay for the overrun out of the Yes general fund. It's probably one of the top half dozen publicly known trigger points that eventually split the band, not counting whatever was happening behind the scenes that hasn't come out yet and may never come out, of course. It's sort of one of those days that will live in infamy in Yes history kind of deals- with all due respect to Kitagawa's spiritual ministry, of course.

I've seen video from it and there were definitely a lot of boos, more and more when the segment went on. Other people were of course cheering, but even among the crowd at the event, it was divisive.
    to funny... I never knew the outcome of that situation... and I was there!

it would have been cool if she came out for just a few moments and did a little ooooooommmmm thing with Jon on harp for a moment or two with some cool lights...

but to carry on for all that time was a bit much, like I said, a bunch of people got up and left to go get some beers... I saw another guy a few rows in front of me start making P B& Jelly sandwiches out of his back pack during the whole thing, he must have thought to himself... hey , why not... I got the time, I might as well start making sandwiches...

At first I got into it... ooooming and all that, I figured most people there were high anyways... so it's cool.... but after a while even stoned folks were getting a little annoyed and ready to carry on with the show.

no wonder Wakeman was pacing back and forth...

maybe Howe wen't off and had a salad while this wen't on.. I don't recall him on stage during the Kitagawa experience.

I do recall after a while of oooooommmming... people did start to laugh and carry on....

I would love to know the outcome of this.... and who paid for the overtime...

frigin' funny as hell... oh brother Jon Anderson... it figures :)

still undefined

My hovercraft is full of eels Grey Wolf's Avatar

I did many times. Usually in my car.

(Although calling myself a musician is quite a stretch.)
    Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
    Fly, Eagles, Fly From Here
    What, me worry?

Insane Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by josuev80 View Post
    Casey Young
    That was below the belt. (or should that be stage?).
    #YES50

New music from both YES's please sherwoodfish1's Avatar

Anderson , Wakeman , Bruford , Rabin , Kaye
    Union tour 92
    Gotcha !!
    As compared to YES offical 2018

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast