Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: UK/Europe #YES50 Setlist

Re: UK/Europe #YES50 Setlist

Quote Originally Posted by Laddr View Post
    I predict GOD will be in the setlist.
    No way.....they're already doing Revealing and Ritual. They're not going to do another 20 minutes epic.
    Jon Anderson (2018 interview): "We live for one thing alone and that is to find the divine energy within you, that is connected to the divine energy that surrounds us"

Quote Originally Posted by somissound View Post
    It's great so many fans are digging the set list. And it does seem to flow better than it looks like on paper. I just find it sort of half ass that they only do Leaves of Green. The Ancient is such a true prog adventure, it would blow some minds live. I guess they don't want to scare any of everyday joe's or ruffle any feathers. Same goes for Soon. Starting the song after the best part of the song!?? Hmmm... I hope they shake it up and take some progressive turns for the US tour. If any band had a license to get weird and play some really obscure music, you think it would be Yes. But I guess a 50th celebration is in the conservative greatest hits legacy boring category. I guess someone who hasn't seen them since 77', or ever, would be ecstatic with the the current set list... The only songs I find interesting or haven't seen a bunch of times would be Survival and Madrigal.
    Don't forget they're doing Revealing and Ritual in the UK and Europe, which they haven't done there in recent times. I'm sure by the time the Yes50 tour gets totthe US we will see changes in the set list as they've done sides 1 and 4 off of Tales there. That leaves aaround 40 minutes for "new" stuff (provided that they don't make it joint tour wit another act.
    Jon Anderson (2018 interview): "We live for one thing alone and that is to find the divine energy within you, that is connected to the divine energy that surrounds us"

JR Yesfan

“Greatest hits”
    Has to include any singles that charted?

Quote Originally Posted by talkaboutsending.. View Post
    “Greatest hits”
    Has to include any singles that charted?
    Yes of coarse, but mostly the songs that are staples of the live show or been played quite often. But you have a few like Mardrigal and Survival that are rare...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    No way.....they're already doing Revealing and Ritual. They're not going to do another 20 minutes epic.
    So no to fly from here
    Chris Squire RIP 1948-2015 thank you for every album every song every moment... the world will truly never be the same again.
    Yes is Steve Howe Geoff Downes Jon Davison Billy Sherwood Alan White Jay Schellen and Tony Kaye and they have my support.
    GTT

Quote Originally Posted by Rabin105 View Post
    So no to fly from here
    Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...

Quote Originally Posted by 1yesfan View Post
    If they play nothing post Drama, hell even 90125, then it is NOT a 50th annv tour!
    I agree.

To me, "Owner of a Lonely Heart" is basic table stakes if you are going to do anything that celebrates 50 years of Yes or whatever. It was their biggest hit in the United States. Granted, this tour is in Europe...

There's also just the basic thing that when you're celebrating 50 years of Yes music, only playing stuff from the first 10-12 years feels wrong somehow. Like, aren't you really just celebrating the first 10 or 12 years then?

I'm not saying that they need to dig real deep and play something from every album- their bread and butter is basically the 70s, maybe plus a year to each end, and I don't expect that to change much. However, they had a lot of hit songs in the 80s- they could play a few of those, and then maybe a token song from each decade thereafter, and really give a sense that this is a band that's been making music for 50 years and not just a band that celebrates some band from the 70s with the same name.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

Yes-East-West-Fan

Quote Originally Posted by 1yesfan View Post
    If they play nothing post Drama, hell even 90125, then it is NOT a 50th annv tour!
    Yeah, true, but if they hopefully do so I also in my unstoppable greed hope that they might show a little sign of dedication and play for exampe Hearts or It Can happen instead of OOALH. Like it would be a sign of passion if they changed the eternal Tormato-routine of Don't Kill The Whale against one of the desired Tormato-greats which I don't have to name again. And no, the downsized Madrigal does not really Count

I would also prefer something that is not OOALH from 90125. (Especially if it is It Can Happen.)

Quote Originally Posted by Susanne View Post
    I would also prefer something that is not OOALH from 90125. (Especially if it is It Can Happen.)
    I agree. But it might be fun to see Steve bust out his Rickenbacker and Billy do the guitar duties... I guess that would work for any Yes-west songs. Seems like Steve really had fun on bass. Or maybe it was just the event...

So no to fly from here
    Well, they're certainly not going to play the entire Fly From Here suite.

That said, if they are really going to push this new Trevor Horn lead vocals version of the Fly From Here album, I wouldn't be shocked if they promoted it by performing something like the "We Can Fly" part of the suite. The suite was, afterall, divided up into a bunch of tracks on the album, which to me says they are all individual songs that link together. Certainly, "We Can Fly" and "Sad Night at the Airfield" work on their own, at least. And then there is the other half of the album, which is all totally unconnected songs. I still think "Hour of Need" would be a good brief track to play at some point- and written by Steve Howe, which is probably a mark in it's favor for the guy who basically selects the setlist (We assume)- Mr. Steve Howe. :)

But I wouldn't get your hopes up- especially for the European tour. It seems like lately they've had two or three modules at a time (Usually an album or something), debuted one in Europe with a holdover from the US that Europe hasn't gotten yet, then go to the states and do the module from the European tour that the US hasn't gotten yet with a new module, and rinse and repeat- with the exception of when they've shared a stage with a big act like Toto and just done a traditional setlist, and the occasional variation where it turns out one side of the Atlantic hasn't gotten either thing they're doing yet for some reason, and they do both.

So, if they follow the pattern, Europe would be:

- 2.5 sides of Tales
    - 1 song per first 10 albums things that was in the US last year (Possibly with some songs cut because of total time of the concert type considerations)

Europe hasn't gotten either yet.

That said, still, for a 50th anniversary, it seems like they should do something from the back 40 years. At least a song or two in Europe, and then maybe expanded out with more songs in the US, which has already gotten Tales and the first 10 album song thing.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterCologne View Post
    Yeah, true, but if they hopefully do so I also in my unstoppable greed hope that they might show a little sign of dedication and play for exampe Hearts or It Can happen instead of OOALH.
    Why not both? I mean, they had a *lot* of hits in the 80s that are barely acknowledged. I think they almost have to play Owner because it was their only #1 hit in the states ever, and this is a 50 year retrospective kind of thing. Well, they don't *have* to in a literal sense, I just think it would be strange if they didn't play it.

Then they could work a second song like "It Can Happen" (Which you mentioned), which was #5 on a US chart in 1985, and hasn't been played live since 1985 by Yes. ARW isn't even playing it. It's a really good song.

I mean, the 80s wasn't full of long Yes epics. The band could do two songs and only spend 12-15 minutes on them combined on stage. If they really wanted to go wild, they could play "It Can Happen", then later do "Cinema" or "Make It Easy" (instrumental version) leading into "Owner of a Lonely Heart" like they did in the old days where the lights went out after the instrumental for a moment and the big guitar riff for Owner sounded as the lights came back on.

Quote Originally Posted by somissound View Post
    I agree. But it might be fun to see Steve bust out his Rickenbacker and Billy do the guitar duties... I guess that would work for any Yes-west songs. Seems like Steve really had fun on bass. Or maybe it was just the event...
    My feeling is this: I would like them to find a way to do some YesWest material. If Steve feels like he wants to do it because he is the lead guitar player, that's great, Steve can do it. If Steve feels like he doesn't want to do it himself because it's not his style, and wants to play bass or steel pedal or something while Billy takes the lead guitar bits on those songs, that's fine with me, too (Maybe Juano could play bass if Steve wants to do the steel pedal only or rhythm guitar with Billy on lead). Whatever will persuade Steve to put these songs on the setlists (and hopefully a live album) works for me. :)

I don't honestly know if Steve would rather play them himself if they have to be played because he's the lead guitarist and feels he should be the lead guitarist on every song, or if he would rather let someone else take lead if they're played because he doesn't like them or doesn't feel comfortable with the style. Really, whichever way is fine. Just have Yes perform them. :)

I would say that it would be nice if Steve at least stayed on stage for those songs because fans like to see Steve, but he could take as prominent or as barely doing anything role in the songs as he wants. If they play them and put them on a live album, I'd be thrilled- especially if it were 3-4 or more of the songs (I dream big). :)

Steve has said he used to hate Owner but has really warmed up to it through the years, and called it the "Roundabout" of the 80s. Maybe that was just an attempt to reach out to fans of those songs and be nice, but even if that's all it was, it was nice to hear. Maybe he could go through 90125 and Big Generator on his own and find the one or two songs he hates the least and add them to a returned Owner. It's possible there is a deep cut or two on those albums that wouldn't irritate him, especially if he reworked the song(s) a bit to suit his preferences, which he can do, because he's Steve Howe. :)
    Last edited by downbyariver; 02-13-2018 at 06:07 PM.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

Super Mega Insane Yesfan josuev80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Davey1727 View Post
    Yep, it's their 50th anniversary. Still, Yes really needs to move out of the 70s...
    Why start now?

Super Mega Insane Yesfan josuev80's Avatar

So no to fly from here
    Is that a rhetorical question?

Quote Originally Posted by Davey1727 View Post
    ............ Yes really needs to move out of the 70s. ..........
    Not if that means we are to be subjected to that 80s stuff ;-)

It's all about mindset. I intend to enjoy the Yes50 concert I will go to. I've seen and heard Revealing Science of God live 20 years ago, Ritual 14 years ago, I've never seen Survival, Madrigal, Leaves of Green and Soon live and I haven't seenTony in a Yes context since 1991, so lots to look forward to for me and no amount of b*tching and moaning about anything and everything is going to influence that....

New music from both YES's please sherwoodfish1's Avatar

Originally Posted by Davey1727
    Yep, it's their 50th anniversary. Still, Yes really needs to move out of the 70s...

---------

If YES started in 1970 and finished in 1979 , I'd be happy
    Nothing has ever come close to the majesty of the music that they produced then

War ... just breaks the soul Bluegrunt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodfish1 View Post
    If YES started in 1970 and finished in 1979 , I'd be happy
    Nothing has ever come close to the majesty of the music that they produced then
    I wouldn't. I'm looking forward to seeing Yes next month!

Yes.
    in 2018!
    Amazing.
    Lame, naive, laughable and stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Susanne View Post
    Great choice.
    Young Christians see it, from the beginning....

Super Yesfan

I think this fits the bill rather well

Looking Around
    Sweet Dreams
    I've Seen All Good People
    Long Distance Runaround/The Fish
    And You And I
    Soon
    Wonderous Stories
    On The Silent Wings of Freedom
    Tempus Fugit
    Hold On
    INTERMISSION
    Revealing Science of God
    Leaves of Green
    Ritual
    ENCORE
    Overture/Fly From Here
    Roundabout
    Starship Trooper

Yes-East-West-Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    It's all about mindset. I intend to enjoy the Yes50 concert I will go to. I've seen and heard Revealing Science of God live 20 years ago, Ritual 14 years ago, I've never seen Survival, Madrigal, Leaves of Green and Soon live and I haven't seenTony in a Yes context since 1991, so lots to look forward to for me and no amount of b*tching and moaning about anything and everything is going to influence that....
    My concept is different... I just can't look forward like till 2004 (or 2017 to YesF)... too much mediocre shows I have seen and the band-politics I find wrong. My way to show respect to the Yes-canon is, that I don't equalize. To honour the better days it must be said that the recent years were disappointing. But as you know I go... I still love the Yes-idea, and I am convinced that there can be a better YesO.

Just my idea, yours is no disgrace at all of course, but I just can't follow...

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast