Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Petition to support billy sherwood mixing the "chris squire tribute album."

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

Re: Petition to support billy sherwood mixing the "chris squire tribute album."

Quote Originally Posted by downbyariver View Post
    Granted, there are also probably a lot of "no name" guys who just exclusively mix albums, are among the best in their field, and who's names we'd never recognize, but wouldn't the big labels have the top no-name guys also?
    Not unless you paid attention to album credits. But those people are independent contractors, they get jobs based on their previous credits and also who they've worked with/for.
    "If you slice me in two, I’m prog all the way through.”
    - Mr. Poms

https://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ʎlɹɐǝlɔ sɐɥ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos relayerone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodfish1 View Post
    No there wasn't
    Its just your opportunity to Diss Billy
    Can someone please pass me the fly swatter.
    It drives me nuts when people online don't know the difference between "your" and "you're".

There so stupid.

Music:♩♪♫♬ Volume: ▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 110 %

SR Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by downbyariver View Post
    If the label, for example, had someone like Trevor Horn doing the mixing, I think a lot of people would immediately stop being bothered by this. This isn't a major label, though, so the odds of them being able to get someone like that is pretty slim. Granted, there are also probably a lot of "no name" guys who just exclusively mix albums, are among the best in their field, and who's names we'd never recognize, but wouldn't the big labels have the top no-name guys also?

Half of the people I'd maybe think of for something like this, who were associated with Chris Squire at one point or another, would likely shy away because it had been yanked away from Billy Sherwood, Squire's protegee, and then the other half are people who wouldn't take it *because* it's still Billy and friends who played on and produced the album and those potential mixers are aligned with ARW against Billy's Yes in some way. So, combining that with their minor label status, it seems like they're going to have to really reach to find someone better than Sherwood to do this- especially since Sherwood knows Yes music and knows Chris Squire music like the back of his hand.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. One never knows. Maybe they've got a good mixer who isn't someone we'd recognize and who isn't recognized in the industry, but will be able to do this justice. It could happen. I'd rather the project have stayed with Sherwood, but that's life.
    I suspect 95% of people don't decide whether to buy an album based on who's mixing it.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the Yes news blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Mega Insane Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    I suspect 95% of people don't decide whether to buy an album based on who's mixing it.

Henry
    I suspect your suspicion is correct.

Super Mega Insane Yesfan josuev80's Avatar

I suspect that number is greater than 95% unless it is a Little River Band or Chicago related album.

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Us audiophile geeks are mad, I tell you, simply mad!
    "If you slice me in two, I’m prog all the way through.”
    - Mr. Poms

https://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

dreamland connecticut. to the left of the garden of geda

It's all in the mix...

but without the good meat... a great recoding and mix means nothing.

but I have a feeling this Squire tribute album we be very cool....

still undefined

Quote Originally Posted by somissound View Post
    Our Song has always sounded a little weird to me, but I think maybe it's just the song.
    It is a little strange... and I guess that's why I like it.
    My book Solid Mental Grace: Listening to the Music of Yes is now available and will be launched on 25 March 2018. It is 222pp and priced at £12. It can be ordered from the publishers here. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/solidmentalgrace/ North American orders via Amazon here. Message me if you're having any difficulty getting hold of a copy.

Yes-East-West-Fan

Quote Originally Posted by simonbarrow View Post
    I learned to like it with a real tense live-version from a later 84-show, Alpine Valley I think, it sounds much more accomplished and sweeping.

Quote Originally Posted by simonbarrow View Post
    Right on. It sounds like an 80's sports show theme song.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterCologne View Post
    I learned to like it with a real tense live-version from a later 84-show, Alpine Valley I think, it sounds much more accomplished and sweeping.
    Interesting, I'll have to track that down and check it out.

It doesnt matter who mixes an album, but it sure as heck matters how the final product sounds. Mixing is super critical, as important as the performance in a studio. My money would be on the record company. Theyre there to be successful, and look at it a bit more objectively. Billy doing it could be hit or miss, affecting the end result, based on reasons already mentioned.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4