Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Petition to support billy sherwood mixing the "chris squire tribute album."

Petition to support billy sherwood mixing the "chris squire tribute album."

Some of you may have seen the post on Facebook BILLY SHERWOOD put out mentioning, "Finally got my box of CDs and a couple vinyl copies of "Yes Live Across America" !!! What an amazing thing.... honored to be a part of it all !! Loved mixing this... indeed a challenge. Wish I was mixing the Chris Squire Tribute record I produced and recorded but for reasons unknown the record company thinks it will be better if I don't.... still completely stunned by that logic or lack there of. Needless to say I'm most unhappy with their decision."

Some of us fans also agree it is a raw deal, especially this year marking Yes's 50th Anniversary and Billy's special relationship with Chris, and feel he should mix it tOo. so we've petitioned the label CLEOPATRA RECORDS and their owner, Brian Perera to respectfully reconsider and bring Billy onboard to mix this album. Click on the link to add your name in favour of this please. Thanks.

https://www.change.org/p/cleopatra-r...tribute-record

bobby dread

Re: Petition to support billy sherwood mixing the "chris squire tribute album."

So wh9 is actually mixing it per cleppatra's divine logic ?

What would an online petition actually accomplish except make fans feels good about themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by josuev80 View Post
    What would an online petition actually accomplish except make fans feels good about themselves?
    ”No explanations / need to work it out... You know we got the pow-w-w-er!”

dreamland connecticut. to the left of the garden of geda

hmmmm... strange.. "reason's unknown".

Maybe the Record company has a deal with someone else, and is in contract to use them... maybe?

Or... the record company finds his mixing not up to par... I like his style....love it... but one thing I do know is much of his mixing, no matter what band or song does sound alike in some ways.... over the years that was something that slightly bothered me is that I can close my eyes and know it's a Sherwood mix&production... not that it's bad... it just has a sound that to me does not change, I have no idea if this is the problem... and it's not a problem really, sometimes I can tell when certain mics are used all the time.. on drums and vocals most of all, and I find Billy's vocal harmonies sound alike in many songs, no matter what the band... and that's OK... if you like that sound.

This is why I find it very important that bands use different recording locations... different gear... different mics.....different everything so albums and music don't take on the same flavour every time.... but then your talking more $$$$

maybe there's something "fishy" about this...

however I'm all for Billy finishing the project... it seems Cleopatra is playing with billy's heat strings, knowing how close Billy and Chris were.
    Last edited by crotale2112; 1 Week Ago at 01:33 AM.

still undefined

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Ego Selected View Post
    Some of you may have seen the post on Facebook BILLY SHERWOOD put out mentioning, "Finally got my box of CDs and a couple vinyl copies of "Yes Live Across America" !!! What an amazing thing.... honored to be a part of it all !! Loved mixing this... indeed a challenge. Wish I was mixing the Chris Squire Tribute record I produced and recorded but for reasons unknown the record company thinks it will be better if I don't.... still completely stunned by that logic or lack there of. Needless to say I'm most unhappy with their decision."

Some of us fans also agree it is a raw deal, especially this year marking Yes's 50th Anniversary and Billy's special relationship with Chris, and feel he should mix it tOo. so we've petitioned the label CLEOPATRA RECORDS and their owner, Brian Perera to respectfully reconsider and bring Billy onboard to mix this album. Click on the link to add your name in favour of this please. Thanks.

Nice one Paul.

Hopefully Cleopatra take notice.
    -----
    paul
    -----

Sort of like you posting on a Yes forum then.... Really, you always need to be this negative?
    ReAwaken (after the Bethlehem Sands concert 2016):
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Ego Selected View Post

Signed the petition. Hope it sorts effect. But nothing ventured, nothing gained!
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ʎlɹɐǝlɔ sɐɥ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos relayerone's Avatar

Learning someone else will be mixing the album has me a little more interested. I'm afraid I agree with the record company on this one. Sorry BS fans.
    There's no way that *everybody* was kung-fu fighting.
    Music:♩♪♫♬ Volume: ▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 110 %

Insane Yesfan

Very unusual to see anything negative by Billy Sherwood as ether his just a positive guy or his political. I suspect a little of both. In this case I'm feel I want to be supportive yet I agree with some of the comments above around his music having the 'same sound' I have been looking forward to this project for some time but my reservation has always been will the sound be homogenised. Now that is fairly offensive to Billy but it is how I feel. I also recognise that many here love his work so it's just my opinion.

Insane Yesfan

Clearly it sounds like Cleopatra (if that is the company concerned) have invoked what they are allowed too and Sherwood didn't have the covered in his arrangements (deal) with them.

Regardless Sherwood should ask why if a reason hasn't been provided as I am sure there is a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by relayerone View Post
    Learning someone else will be mixing the album has me a little more interested. I'm afraid I agree with the record company on this one. Sorry BS fans.
    He mixed Topographic Drama and while one might not like that lineup or playing I haven't heard people complain about the soundmix. Quite the opposite, most people seem to agree that the album sounds really good. It also sounds very different to most of his solo work for instance, as does the mix of Circa:'s latest outing "Valley of the Windmills", which IMO goes to prove that although for a period of years a lot of his stuff did sound the same, he is very much capable of doing things different, depending on what he works on and feel is required soundwise.

Super Insane Yesfan Don the Cap's Avatar

I doubt it would even achieve that small end.
    Getting over all the time I had to worry.....

But my eyes turned within
    Only see
    Starless and bible black

Ok it's a strange choice but is it such a big deal ??? Billy chose the songs, the musicians, performed on all the songs, recorded the whole album. That's something already.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    He mixed Topographic Drama and while one might not like that lineup or playing I haven't heard people complain about the soundmix. Quite the opposite, most people seem to agree that the album sounds really good.
    Topographic Drama was recorded by the bands soundie, Dean Mattson. I imagine that had a lot to do with the quality of that record as much as Billy's mixing.
    -----
    paul
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by nzyesfan View Post
    Topographic Drama was recorded by the bands soundie, Dean Mattson. I imagine that had a lot to do with the quality of that record as much as Billy's mixing.
    True, but I was specifically referring to the quality of the mixing. He left it pretty natural/organic sounding contrary to some of his solo/other projects stuff.

If I were Billy I would be gutted. The mix is such a vital part of the process. It is where you bring the best out of the music. I am very surprised that Cleopatra have done this as I am sure Billy would have a very clear vision of how he wanted it to sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    Sort of like you posting on a Yes forum then.... Really, you always need to be this negative?
    Let’s petition Yes to play The Ancient. I’m sure that will force them to play it. How did that other petition idea go to merge Yes and YesF?

Super Insane Yesfan Don the Cap's Avatar

Let’s petition Yes to play The Ancient. I’m sure that will force them to play it. How did that other petition idea go to merge Yes and YesF?
    I doubt they could do justice to The Ancient now, with their diminished faculties and abilities, anymore than they could hack Sound Chaser. Revealing Science and Ritual were flaccid enough on Topographic Drama. I, for one, would not wish to hear Davison try and navigate the melody-line of 'So the flowering creativity of life wove its web face to face, with the shallow...', anymore than I wish to hear Steve try and play the cadenza from Sound Chaser, or Alan the drum patterns at the beginning.
    Getting over all the time I had to worry.....

But my eyes turned within
    Only see
    Starless and bible black

That was not a petition, but a poll to see whether there would be any support for such a petition. There clearly wasn't. This petition is there. One can either support it or not. If one feels Sherwood should mix it, then signing it is the obvious choice, as not signing it for sure isn't going to change something. You might be absolutely right in that it won't change anything, but as said in an earlier post; nothing ventured nothing gained.

Last but not least the suggestion you made that people are merely doing it to feel good about themselves, which suggests their support isn't genuine, is mean spirited and wholly unnecessary.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast