Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: Remember the time...

  1. #1
    socket pup! pat 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Northeast megalopolis, USA
    Posts
    384
    Rep Power
    107374223

    Remember the time...

    ...when Trevor Rabin and Geoff Downes performed together in Yes?





  2. #2
    Yes-East-West-Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Cologne, Germany
    Age
    56
    Posts
    6,558
    Rep Power
    107374808

    Re: Remember the time...

    Yes I do. Had not much hope then, but just wished something would emerge out of this night.


  3. #3
    socket pup! pat 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Northeast megalopolis, USA
    Posts
    384
    Rep Power
    107374223

    Re: Remember the time...

    Downes (2005): "...it was just sort of a nice thing for us to get back together again and effectively put the DRAMA lineup back together again, if only briefly for the Prince's Trust show, and it was nice to have Trevor Rabin involved as well."

  4. #4
    Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Happy cows come from California.
    Age
    53
    Posts
    9,239
    Rep Power
    107374818

    Re: Remember the time...

    It was a cool thing indeed - I recently wrote about it for Rabin-esque. I thought back on it, actually, to realize that we now have another semi-YesWest reunion with Tony and Alan playing together once more, as well as a CIRCA: one with Billy, Tony and Alan.
    "If you slice me in two, I’m prog all the way through.”
    - Mr. Poms

    https://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

  5. #5
    Yesfan nzyesfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,009
    Rep Power
    107374590

    Re: Remember the time...

    Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    It was a cool thing indeed - I recently wrote about it for Rabin-esque. I thought back on it, actually, to realize that we now have another semi-YesWest reunion with Tony and Alan playing together once more, as well as a CIRCA: one with Billy, Tony and Alan.
    And Jay was in Circa too.
    -----
    paul
    -----

  6. #6
    Does not share his porridge Discount Ministry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Alphaville
    Age
    51
    Posts
    10,616
    Rep Power
    107374838

    Re: Remember the time...

    There is a pattern forming here.

    Eventually Yes will be an orchestra, Yes will be every musician and all fans Yesfans.

    Cosmic destiny.
    Felt I was being accused of being full of beans.

    Finished eating the beans.

  7. #7
    Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Happy cows come from California.
    Age
    53
    Posts
    9,239
    Rep Power
    107374818

    Re: Remember the time...

    Quote Originally Posted by nzyesfan View Post
    And Jay was in Circa too.
    Right, but I just meant to refer to the original lineup in that respect.
    "If you slice me in two, I’m prog all the way through.”
    - Mr. Poms

    https://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

  8. #8
    Yesfan nzyesfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,009
    Rep Power
    107374590

    Re: Remember the time...

    Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    Right, but I just meant to refer to the original lineup in that respect.
    All goody goods. As we know, Jay was Alan's replacement in Circa. History repeats? Maybe.
    -----
    paul
    -----

  9. #9
    Trevor Howe jimmygtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ventura
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,086
    Rep Power
    101247640

    Re: Remember the time...

    Was Trevor playing Steve's strat as that looks like the same red strat from the 35th anniversary tour.

    "Wait, maybe the answer's looking for you."
    "Let me correct you on a few things. Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not “Every Man for Himself”. And the London Underground is not a political movement. Those are all mistakes, Otto. I looked ’em up."

  10. #10
    New music from both YES's please sherwoodfish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,151
    Rep Power
    107374389

    Re: Remember the time...

    ^
    YES I think he was

  11. #11
    Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Happy cows come from California.
    Age
    53
    Posts
    9,239
    Rep Power
    107374818

    Re: Remember the time...

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmygtr View Post
    Was Trevor playing Steve's strat as that looks like the same red strat from the 35th anniversary tour.
    It's Trevor's own candy apple red Strat - he played it on the 2017 ARW tour as well.
    "If you slice me in two, I’m prog all the way through.”
    - Mr. Poms

    https://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

  12. #12
    Trevor Howe jimmygtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ventura
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,086
    Rep Power
    101247640

    Re: Remember the time...

    Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    It's Trevor's own candy apple red Strat - he played it on the 2017 ARW tour as well.
    Interesting. I don't remember him playing that at the Orpheum for the LA show. Just the 90125 strat, the Alvarez and maybe the Washburn.

    "Wait, maybe the answer's looking for you."
    "Let me correct you on a few things. Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not “Every Man for Himself”. And the London Underground is not a political movement. Those are all mistakes, Otto. I looked ’em up."

  13. #13
    Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Happy cows come from California.
    Age
    53
    Posts
    9,239
    Rep Power
    107374818

    Re: Remember the time...

    Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    It's Trevor's own candy apple red Strat - he played it on the 2017 ARW tour as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmygtr View Post
    Interesting. I don't remember him playing that at the Orpheum for the LA show. Just the 90125 strat, the Alvarez and maybe the Washburn.
    As you can see from quoting myself above, I noted that Trevor used it on the 2017 tour, not the 2016 tour which is what you're referring to - I was at that same show. He didn't use it on the 2016 tour because he only played it on "South Side of the Sky" and that was an addition which occurred ten dates in.

    On the 2016 tour he used four guitars: his original Strat, his custom Pantera, his Signature model Alvarez, and a Line 6 Variax acoustic.
    "If you slice me in two, I’m prog all the way through.”
    - Mr. Poms

    https://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

  14. #14
    Trevor Howe jimmygtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ventura
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,086
    Rep Power
    101247640

    Re: Remember the time...

    Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    As you can see from quoting myself above, I noted that Trevor used it on the 2017 tour, not the 2016 tour which is what you're referring to - I was at that same show. He didn't use it on the 2016 tour because he only played it on "South Side of the Sky" and that was an addition which occurred ten dates in.

    On the 2016 tour he used four guitars: his original Strat, his custom Pantera, his Signature model Alvarez, and a Line 6 Variax acoustic.
    Different neck pickup...but I guess it could be the 🎸 For a one off show in the UK just seemed like he might borrow a 🎸

    "Wait, maybe the answer's looking for you."
    Last edited by jimmygtr; 02-12-2018 at 01:31 PM.
    "Let me correct you on a few things. Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not “Every Man for Himself”. And the London Underground is not a political movement. Those are all mistakes, Otto. I looked ’em up."

  15. #15
    Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Happy cows come from California.
    Age
    53
    Posts
    9,239
    Rep Power
    107374818

    Re: Remember the time...

    Well and who's to say it wasn't modified between 2004 and 2017, you know? That is a thing which happens. But yeah we used to think Trevor had borrowed it and that might possibly be true. I guess it depends on what you want to believe. I mean, he modified the hell out of his original Strat, just as example.
    "If you slice me in two, I’m prog all the way through.”
    - Mr. Poms

    https://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

  16. #16
    SR Super Yesfan downbyariver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,778
    Rep Power
    107374639

    Re: Remember the time...

    Quote Originally Posted by pat 2 View Post
    ...when Trevor Rabin and Geoff Downes performed together in Yes?
    It was going really well until Trevor Rabin declared that it wasn't really Yes because Jon Anderson wasn't there, and Geoff Downes told Trevor that he was only an average guitarist. Thus ended Yes: Trevor Horn Concert Edition, after only one live performance. Personally, I was hoping for 10 studio albums, 2 live albums, and an Internet retrospective on yesworld, but it was not to be.

    Actually, on a more serious note, I would have really liked to see those two in the same lineup of something- Yes, Asia, Downes-Rabin Association, whatever. Two very memorable 80s prog rock-pop wizards. Sadly, they are on opposite sides of the Second Yes Civil War, and I think some bridges have been burned.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

  17. #17
    SR Mega Yesfan
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,467
    Rep Power
    107374998

    Re: Remember the time...

    Quote Originally Posted by downbyariver View Post
    Actually, on a more serious note, I would have really liked to see those two in the same lineup of something- Yes, Asia, Downes-Rabin Association, whatever. Two very memorable 80s prog rock-pop wizards. Sadly, they are on opposite sides of the Second Yes Civil War, and I think some bridges have been burned.
    You can find the Asia demos with Rabin online... but they're not that interesting.

    Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the Yes news blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

  18. #18
    Founder/Owner 1yesfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    SW, Ohio
    Age
    50
    Posts
    16,865
    Rep Power
    107375339

    Re: Remember the time...

    Yea what I have heard is rather BAD.

    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    You can find the Asia demos with Rabin online... but they're not that interesting.

    Henry
    "YES" - Music that could make God cry with joy. Either you get it or you don't.

  19. #19
    Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Happy cows come from California.
    Age
    53
    Posts
    9,239
    Rep Power
    107374818

    Re: Remember the time...

    Considering the incredibly short window of time they were all in the same room, I can't imagine how it would have been anything but shambolic.
    "If you slice me in two, I’m prog all the way through.”
    - Mr. Poms

    https://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

  20. #20
    onward... somissound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Somis, California
    Age
    45
    Posts
    9,544
    Rep Power
    107374906

    Re: Remember the time...

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterCologne View Post
    Yes I do. Had not much hope then, but just wished something would emerge out of this night.

    Quote Originally Posted by pat 2 View Post
    Downes (2005): "...it was just sort of a nice thing for us to get back together again and effectively put the DRAMA lineup back together again, if only briefly for the Prince's Trust show, and it was nice to have Trevor Rabin involved as well."
    Interesting times and line up. Seems Rabin could handle hanging out and jamming with Steve and Geoff. I think Chris, Alan, and of coarse Trevor Horn had a lot to do with that! But still, it seemed like there was a glimmer of hope that line up could have gone to the next level, and probably only with JA. Missed opportunity. Could have been quite interesting...

    I remember having lunch at the mall and looking out the window and seeing this playing on a kiosk for the first time and thinking WTF!!?? Yes have re-formed!! lol
    Last edited by somissound; 02-12-2018 at 05:35 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •