Google

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Beatles were terrible" says Quincy Jones

Here today...

"The Beatles were terrible" says Quincy Jones

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-0...-world/9408328

He has not much nice to say about Michael Jackson, either. Yet he apparently likes Ed Sheeran.

Discuss.

Re: "The Beatles were terrible" says Quincy Jones

Haha! Talks about Jackson plagiarising "Donna Summer's State of Independence". 84 tears old, probably crazy as FCUK...

Here today...

^^ That's what I thought. I wonder, is he even aware that she didn't write the song? I don't think "Billie Jean" sounds anything like the Anderson/Vangelis original, and the only similarity to Donna Summer's version is the beat.

His comments about MJ and this song are rather surprising. I'm sure I heard years ago that "Billie Jean" was one of two songs that Quincy had to convince Michael to put on the Thriller album, the other being "Beat It". Apparently those two were not originally on the proposed track listing.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 02-08-2018 at 04:55 AM.

Perfectly cromulent

"Paul was the worst bass player I ever heard."

What!?
    A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaseDance View Post
    "Paul was the worst bass player I ever heard."

What!?
    I wouldn’t get too upset; Quincy Jones also knows “the identity of US President John F Kennedy's real killer.”

A bit of context:

What were your first impressions of the Beatles?
    That they were the worst musicians in the world.
    (
    http://www.vulture.com/2018/02/quinc...versation.html)

Last edited by pat 2; 02-08-2018 at 05:03 AM.

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pat 2 View Post
    I wouldn’t get too upset; Quincy Jones also knows “the identity of US President John F Kennedy's real killer.”

A bit of context:

What were your first impressions of the Beatles?
    That they were the worst musicians in the world.
    (
    http://www.vulture.com/2018/02/quinc...versation.html)

Ok, yes, first impressions. It was bon ton for the ‘established music business’ to dismiss the Beatles when they first came on the scene as just another crummy old rock and roll act. (And in some ways they were for a while!)

It’s funny that he speaks so highly of Cream. Not that they weren’t good, but if you listen to their live performances, it’s sometimes bloody hard to make out what song they’re playing if you’re not very familiar with their work; it was a hell of a noise sometimes...

"I woke to the sound of drums..." SunshipVoyager's Avatar

Trained as a jazz player, honed his skills as an arranger. He is going to have picky ears, especially when it comes to technical ability. I don't really agree, but meh. He certainly has a right to his opinion without being declared mentally ill for it.
    "He who binds to himself a joy doth the winged life destroy. But he who kisses the joy as it flies lives in Eternity's sunrise..." - William Blake

Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    ^^ That's what I thought. I wonder, is he even aware that she didn't write the song? I don't think "Billie Jean" sounds anything like the Anderson/Vangelis original, and the only similarity to Donna Summer's version is the beat.

His comments about MJ and this song are rather surprising. I'm sure I heard years ago that "Billie Jean" was one of two songs that Quincy had to convince Michael to put on the Thriller album, the other being "Beat It". Apparently those two were not originally on the proposed track listing.
    Quincy and Michael had listened to “The Friends of Mr. Cairo” after which Michael wanted Quincy to see if the guy who done the Jimmy Stewart voice could do Vincent Price...Quincy got the real thing.....another tidbit....the backing vocals for Summer’s State was Lionel Richie, Dionne Warwick, Michael Jackson, Brenda Russell, Christopher Cross, Dyan Cannon, James Ingram, Kenny Loggins, and Stevie Wonder.....

Mega Insane Yesfan

Never got what was so great about The Beatles either, not that it matters at all.

Insane Yesfan Closetotheedge1972's Avatar

It's so great to see that Yesfans have graduated from badmouthing iterations of Yes to now doing so with the Beatles. Quincy is cringeworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Closetotheedge1972 View Post
    It's so great to see that Yesfans have graduated from badmouthing iterations of Yes to now doing so with the Beatles. Quincy is cringeworthy.
    Thriller (the album) is a true classic—imho. Its “sound” is incredible, as are its other aspects which we attribute to the producer. Assuming that Jones was a major factor in Thriller’s quality, it’s hard to argue with his talent.

But reading the interview—wow. He seems to view himself as supremely talented, and to view anyone who’d question him as an imbecile. “Quincy with the lid off?”

˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ʎlɹɐǝlɔ sɐɥ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos relayerone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Closetotheedge1972 View Post
    But badmouthing Roger Waters is fine. Funny how that works innit; you dislike an artist, so badmouthing them is cool. The artists you personally like however should be exempt from all criticism.
    Did I get that right?
    Two out of every three people wish the third one would go away.

Music:♩♪♫♬ Volume: ▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 110 %

Insane Yesfan

I remember a phrase people used to use in the studio when they thought you were an idiot: "Well then, pass out the charts Quincy!"

I think the key to the whole interview is his view that: "Jazz is at the top of the hierarchy of music because the musicians learned everything they could about music." Overall he comes across as highly intelligent and incredibly skilled, as well as having extended experience of the celebrity establishment. I might not agree with everything he says, but I wouldn't dismiss it all so lightly.
    Universe University

New music from both YES's please sherwoodfish1's Avatar

In addition to receiving recognition specifically for his music and arrangements, Jones has been recognized for his overall contributions to music and humanitarian goals. He has received numerous honorary doctorates and been invited to speak at college and university commencement ceremonies.[6]

• He received the Grammy's Legend Award in 1991, one of only 15 people ever to receive it.[71]
    • Garfield High School in Seattle named a performing arts center after him.[6]
    • Quincy Jones Elementary School located in South Central Los Angeles is named after him.
    • He received the Humanitarian Award at the BET Awards in 2008.
    • He received the John F. Kennedy Center Honors in 2001.[72]
    • He received the Los Angeles Press Club Visionary Award in 2014.[73]
    • He received an honorary doctorate from the Royal Academy of Music, London, in 2015.[74]

Quincy is entitled to an opinion

Opinions are like arseholes.

Everybody has one and they all need wiping from time to time.
    Shut Up

Here today...

I just posted the interview with minimal comment about my reaction to it, since I wanted to get an idea what Yesfans thought of it without prior bias. However my thoughts were this:

- Some of what he says makes perfect sense and I agree with it, notably his judgment of the majority of today's pop music. "It's just loops, beats, rhymes and hooks,"Can't argue with that.

- Much of it comes across as bitter; he's very intolerant of other artists' imperfections like necklaces rattling in the microphone. (Did he suggest to her that she take it off for the duration of the recording?) He is very focussed on the technical aspects of music recording, not surprising given his background.

- Some is just factually wrong, The Beatles may not have been virtuoso musicians, but they could, and did, play their instruments. The comment about Billie Jean channelling State of independence is a matter of opinion I suppose, but I find it pretty questionable.

- I really can't comment about some of the people he likes, such as Chance the Rapper and Bruno Mars, as I don't listen to them. Perhaps his comment about Sam Smith gives a clue. "He's so open about being gay." So he's praising him as a person, which is fine, but it does mean the discussion is about many things other than music. Bono was a good bloke because he let Quincy stay in his castle. Nothing about whether U2's musical output is good, bad or indifferent.

I don't think anyone here is saying Quincy is not entitled to an opinion, but by the same token people here are entitled to disagree with it.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 02-13-2018 at 03:03 AM.

Yes, there is a Santa Claus! YesNY's Avatar

Quincy Jones - What’s your sign, man?
    Interviewer - Pisces.
    Quincy Jones - Me too. It’s a great sign.

Interviewer - Okay, let me ask you a left-field question. In your memoir, there’s a section where you talk about
    Quincy Jones - Being a dog?
    Interviewer - That’s not what I was thinking of, but yeah, that’s in there...

I will bet anyone the interviewer was Marty Di Bergi!

This is my current user title Discount Ministry's Avatar

I think you all realize, if you think about it, that Q is just giving you a Lou Reed interview and having some fun with it.

It's some wonderful jive, man.
    God gave Rock and Roll and Bacon to YOU.

Yes, there is a Santa Claus! YesNY's Avatar

Interviewer - Like what secrets?
    Quincy Jones - This is something else I shouldn’t be talking about.

Interviewer - You sure seem to know a lot.
    Quincy Jones - I know too much, man.
    Interviewer - What’s something you wish you didn’t know?
    Quincy Jones - Paul [McCartney] was the worst bass player I ever heard. So when he needed to be replaced in 1966 - well that car accident stuff was all sh*t. Yeah, Sam Giacanna took care of the deed is all I can say. So after that, I taught the new Paul motherf*cker how to really play bass, and that was that. Motherf*cker was right handed, though, while the first Paul played lefty. That is the real reason The Beatles stopped touring. Like I said,
    I know too much, man.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast