• Both with be good Geoff

12 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do you think with release the Better album YES O or YES feat ARW

New music from both YES's please sherwoodfish1's Avatar

Who do you think with release the Better album YES O or YES feat ARW

OK
    With all the recent anouncements and i am am sorry if it has been done before
    I really value good YES music and new music is so important to me and many others here
    Who do you think will make the better album and explain why

Mega Insane Yesfan

Re: Who do you think with release the Better album YES O or YES feat ARW

I expect to prefer Yes/ARW, despite Rabin. I expect it to be stronger musically, with better players. I just hope the writing is strong and the arrangements imaginative and expansive, daring even, and it rocks and rolls as well as moving and grooving. I can't honestly see that as being likely with Davison, Downes, Howe et al.

Yes official
    Chris Squire RIP 1948-2015 thank you for every album every song every moment... the world will truly never be the same again.
    Yes is Steve Howe Geoff Downes Jon Davison Billy Sherwood Alan White Jay Schellen and Tony Kaye and they have my support.
    GTT

I think any YESo release will depend how much Billy has a hand in it (he needs to be a big player in its development). If we get another HnE, FFH, the chances are VERY good ARW will drop the better album.
    "YES" - Music that could make God cry with joy. Either you get it or you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by 1yesfan View Post
    I think any YESo release will depend how much Billy has a hand in it (he needs to be a big player in its development). If we get another HnE, FFH, the chances are VERY good ARW will drop the better album.
    Speak for your self I loved Fly From Here lol
    Chris Squire RIP 1948-2015 thank you for every album every song every moment... the world will truly never be the same again.
    Yes is Steve Howe Geoff Downes Jon Davison Billy Sherwood Alan White Jay Schellen and Tony Kaye and they have my support.
    GTT

Yes-East-West-Fan

What happened since the beginning of the 80s gives me the feeling that Trevor Rabin (listen to his soundracks) and Trevor Horn in that timespan are Yes' most inspired, creative and adventureous musicians.

My vote goes to that Yes with Rabin and Anderson. The latter also still full of ideas, that just have to get some shape, and Rabin is the right one for that as well and presumably better as Roine Stolt.

But I hope for a strong YesO-Album as well. I hope not at least for Geoff Downs in terms of composition. And as said before, if the producer and co-composer is Horn he could sing his the leadvocals right from the start instead of doing another return-trip in some years.

The big plus of YesO though is Billy Sherwood on bass and harmonyvocals. I hope that some day Anderson Rabin, Howe and Sherwood will make an album together with whomever on keyboards.
    Last edited by PeterCologne; 02-06-2018 at 11:00 AM.

War ... just breaks the soul Bluegrunt's Avatar

I guess it all depends on whether they do both release release albums ...
    Lame, naive, laughable and stupid

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

I think that if you do believe you can qualify either potential release now, then you've got an inherent bias. I honestly don't know whose album will be better, there are so many factors involved, potentially. I expect I will prefer the ARW album because that is my bias.
    "If you slice me in two, I'm prog all the way through."
    - Mr. Poms

https://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

Getting Over Overhanging Trees cerulean's Avatar

My biased opinion, YES official - mostly due to Rabin's presence.

It's down to the amount of work the respective bands are prepared to put in. AWR have been exchanging and developing music for some time. Recently Yes seem content to simply record whatever they turn up with without their customary revise, rewrite and rearrange in the studio approach.

The ball's in Yes' court. Or more probably, Sherwood's as he'll probably be the producer, engineer and driving force. He'll need to 'inspire' Steve...
    Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...

I sincerely hope both will be good. And I don't understand how anyone could know the answer in advance.
    Last edited by Sharp on Attack; 02-06-2018 at 01:06 PM.

Yes-East-West-Fan

Quote Originally Posted by RelayerI View Post
    It's down to the amount of work the respective bands are prepared to put in. AWR have been exchanging and developing music for some time. Recently Yes seem content to simply record whatever they turn up with without their customary revise, rewrite and rearrange in the studio approach.

The ball's in Yes' court. Or more probably, Sherwood's as he'll probably be the producer, engineer and driving force. He'll need to 'inspire' Steve...
    I hope, that Billy won't produce. Billy's way seems too superficial and won't challenge the band. This Album must really be something special. Trevor Horn could make that happen or some outside Producer who would really challenge them.
    Last edited by PeterCologne; 02-06-2018 at 02:27 PM.

It all depends what you mean by "better". If, and it's still very much if, both bands release albums any time soon, no doubt there will be those who like and dislike either or both for reasons of taste and/or partisan loyalty. Then again, either or both could disappoint their current fans or surprise their current detractors. Personally, I do have greater expectations that AWR/Yesf might meet my tastes more than the present lineup of YesO (Steve Howe being the only one now who really excites me on a creative level), but that could still be swept aside in the event.
    Universe University

Super Yesfan

From the looks of the poll results thus far, I surmise that I'm not entirely alone in my opinion...

The closest thing released recently, which even vaguely resembles new Yes music, as far as I'm concerned, is Invention of Knowledge. When/if IOK2 ever comes out, I'll be preordering. Was IOK perfect? Heck no. I love Brislin, but on IOK he favored MOR, smooth jazz piano tinkling. Here is the keyboard player for Renaissance when she tours. I expected better. IOK needed more "edge" to it...less singing...fewer voices...more guitar...WAY more melodic bass in the mix. The guys should have TOURED WITH IOK, and if they had, I believe audiences would have taken appropriate notice, and perhaps many die-hard members of the Steve Howe Fan Club might rethink the viability of YesO without a single original member, much less a co-founder.

IOK sounded FAR more like Yes than FFH or...that other one... Sorry, but JonA's voice still lends his trademark sincerity to whatever loony lyrics he's written...an air of authenticity that not just anyone, coincidentally named Jon, who may be capable of singing in a high register, could impart. I am astounded that such a voice could come out of a singer into his 70s. And frankly? When I listen to Howe & YesO, it sounds unremarkably like the playing of a man in his 70s! Little that could pass for enthusiasm. Rather dry & thin...by the numbers...set in his ways. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but at least AWR performs some interesting rearrangements of some vintage Yes material. I enjoyed the way Yes (and other great prog bands) were able to replicate their studio work, note-for-note, live, on stage...but ARW's new ways of presenting old material shows that they are open to evolving interpretations of their classic catalog.

In all fairness, I wish either one of YesO's recent albums of new music had sounded HALF as good to me as If, by Glass Hammer, did. It was an intriguing take on a Yes Tribute album, in a sense, and I own it. I cannot say the same for the last two studio efforts from YesO. Prog is not dead, far from it...but YesO seems to have run out of prog ideas. Or perhaps just out of songwriters who can work with & against each other as successfully as Anderson & Howe did.

I'll go you one better, seeing as how I feel inexplicably charitable toward YesO this afternoon. I absolutely loathed Drama (even the NAME of the album made me cringe) when it was released. I might have enjoyed it if JonA had been in the band at the time, and I still can't believe that the other co-founder, Chris, decided that recruiting BUGGLES into Yes was EVER any sort of prudent scheme, unless he had decided to sabotage his own creation to spite himself. That having been said, I think YesO's recent live performances of Drama were surprisingly valiant & worthwhile...a better attempt than the original recording! Do I have any interest whatsoever in buying Drama, paired up in the same set with perhaps THE definitive Yes opus from the 70s, TFTO? I wouldn't even know where to find drugs that good anymore!

I hold out hope that Anderson & Wakeman can compose together, and that Wakeman doesn't become Jon's rather ho-hum accompanyist. We don't need Living Tree 2.

War ... just breaks the soul Bluegrunt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rann View Post
    IOK sounded FAR more like Yes than FFH or...that other one... .
    IOK was dreadful, IMO.
    I tried and tried to like it, but I concluded it was awful.
    Unlistenable drivel.

But what do I know?
    Lame, naive, laughable and stupid

Mega Insane Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrunt View Post
    IOK was dreadful, IMO.
    I tried and tried to like it, but I concluded it was awful.
    Unlistenable drivel.

But what do I know?
    You know you don't like Invention of Knowledge.

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

Obviously it’s too soon to tell, but why let that stop us from sharing important opinions...?

All we have to go on are the most recent releases from both camps.
    Which would be Heaven & Earth, The Living Tree, Jacaranda, and maybe Invention Of Knowledge, although that has a lot of ‘outside’ influence.

As far as the songwriting is concerned I’m not optimistic, with so few inspired songs around on either side.
    And when I say inspired, it doesn’t have to be classic. The Ladder or Magnification inspiration will do just fine for me.

As far as the ‘playing’ is concerned, I am more interested in ARW. All five members have a certain eagerness and don’t shy away from, let’s say ‘theatrics’ which I mean in a positive sense. I like my Yes music to be -at least in part- energetic and in your face.

Yes, by comparison, seems tame these days, laid back to the point of falling over. I know that live they are doing their best to capture the details of the old songs, and they do that well IMO, I’m talking of how they play on their last two studio albums.

I hope in a few months time we’ll have something more to speculate about.

Well, Rabin will for sure bring a TOP quality production. And so could Horn. If they use someone else, the odds go down.
    Both bands have the ability to shred, especially Rabin and Wakeman maybe in a new way. But Steve will do the Steve...
    Both bands don't have Squire's oh so important harmony voice. But one band has Anderson, and he's got something to prove. Hopefully not all the chanting and over-singing like on IOK. I'm sure Trevor will reign it in...
    As far as the SONGS, we'll have to wait and see. This really is the main factor...
    Slight edge to ARW.
    Last edited by somissound; 02-06-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rann View Post
    I absolutely loathed Drama (even the NAME of the album made me cringe) when it was released. I might have enjoyed it if JonA had been in the band at the time, and I still can't believe that the other co-founder, Chris, decided that recruiting BUGGLES into Yes was EVER any sort of prudent scheme, unless he had decided to sabotage his own creation to spite himself. That having been said, I think YesO's recent live performances of Drama were surprisingly valiant & worthwhile...a better attempt than the original recording!
    I couldn't disagree more.

Even Jon Davison singing that stuff couldn't rescue it. If anything, his more Yesish vocals just highlighted how wrong it was.
    Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...

Quote Originally Posted by RelayerI View Post
    I couldn't disagree more.

Even Jon Davison singing that stuff couldn't rescue it. If anything, his more Yesish vocals just highlighted how wrong it was.
    Hmmm. I'd rate Drama right up there with CTTE and Relayer, and compare IOK as being worse than OYE and H&E.

Drama has some of Yes best performances and production. Still very proggy and futuristic while not leaning too far towards the commercial Yes-West sound. Yet the album ROCKS, and Chris and Trevor sang great together.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast