Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yes is working on new songs..

Yes is working on new songs..

From the cruise

"Steve doesn't want to say anything about a new album - If they say anything, then they become obligated or restricted. But he implied there are songs in the works."
    Chris Squire RIP 1948-2015 thank you for every album every song every moment... the world will truly never be the same again.
    Yes is Steve Howe Geoff Downes Jon Davison Billy Sherwood Alan White Jay Schellen and Tony Kaye and they have my support.
    GTT

The porridge was always an illusion Discount Ministry's Avatar

Re: Yes is working on new songs..

That's sorta the way it tends to worth, yep.
    Fighting to save the world now that the lie of the porridge is revealed. After some bacon.

It's really not anything we didn't already know. We've been seeing for years now talk about "Horizons", which was the Downes/Davison piece that didn't make the last album, and Henry had reported that Davison and Howe were working on a few bits of music, and that Downes may have some songs of his own- and we've known all that for a while now. Certainly, it seems like they *could* make a new album. Heck, even without that info, we know that Billy Sherwood as a single human being has all the necessary skills to perform, record, produce, and get albums out the door all by himself, and does, in the case of some of his solo ventures.

There still isn't a commitment there to a new Yes album there by the group, though, at least not publicly.

I appreciate that Steve is honest with us and tries not to make any promises he can't keep. It's very refreshing compared to the way many others in the industry operate, and it means that when and if Steve finally does make an announcement, I'll believe 100% that it's happening.

However, it's unfortunate that four years after Heaven and Earth, Yes hasn't made a new album and won't commit to making a new album. I hope they decide to do it, but I feel like I've been having this same conversation since late 2014- and each year we say maybe later this year, and then maybe next year, and talk about times when they might together and record, and it doesn't happen. I'm not really interested in (solely) a touring act. New music is the thing. As a fan, that's what I want out of the bands I like. It could happen, but unfortunately this year doesn't seem any more likely than last year or the year before, and neither does next year, or 2020, or beyond. It could happen anytime, or never, and we just don't know right now.

They're pacing this like they have all the time in the world, but we've seen with the passing of people like Chris Squire and Peter Banks, and some scary health problems people like Alan White have had to face, that the ability of people to do what they want to do is time limited. That's life. And we don't know if there is a succession plan either- if Yes dies when Steve Howe and Alan White retire or pass away, or if Yes will be allowed to continue with Downes, Davison, and Sherwood.

I think there is a very real possibility that Heaven and Earth was their last album. I hope I'm wrong about that, because no one would be happier than me to have a new Yes album to listen to. No one would be happier than me to have 10 new Yes albums to listen to over the next 20 years. I just see the odds stacking against it, because there is a lack of commitment to that side of the business right now and the guys who own the name are older.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

Super Mega Insane Yesfan josuev80's Avatar

I’m still excited by the news
    Chris Squire RIP 1948-2015 thank you for every album every song every moment... the world will truly never be the same again.
    Yes is Steve Howe Geoff Downes Jon Davison Billy Sherwood Alan White Jay Schellen and Tony Kaye and they have my support.
    GTT

Super Mega Yesfan popeyebonaparte's Avatar

Is this a surprise? They're always working on songs, they're musicians!
    Peace, love, long live rock n roll

New music from both YES's please sherwoodfish1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rabin105 View Post
    Me too Danny

Quote Originally Posted by ANTIOCH View Post
    I was waiting for the usual suspects to piss all over this news . . Thank you for NOT disappointing me.

Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post
    Is this a surprise? They're always working on songs, they're musicians!

Quote Originally Posted by josuev80 View Post
    So true. Like a broken clock, they are on time and right twice a day. If any member of Yes said the same thing, they would be wetting themselves with glee.
    I think Josuev and Antioch posts make sense here.. perhaps the anti yes people show of listen to themselves
    GTT

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

I cannot imagine they will let the jubilee year pass by without a new album.
    It could take till christmas, but we will have 2 Yes albums this year.
    Ok?

War ... just breaks the soul Bluegrunt's Avatar

I really enjoy reading your excitement about new music. I almost wish I shared it.

But I don’t.

But don’t let that stop you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Lame, naive, laughable and stupid

I alone am the answer Yorkshire Square's Avatar

For sure, don't forget to piss on their bonfire while they're pissing on yours.
    Gonna leave you all severed

I alone am the answer Yorkshire Square's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ceasar's Palace View Post
    Hmm, not so sure. I'd say none or one (of original new music) is much more likely:

None 75%
    One 20%
    Two 5%
    Three
    Gonna leave you all severed

I cannot imagine they will let the jubilee year pass by without a new album.
    Ok?
    I hate to bet against what I'd like to see, but I've got $10 that says there will be fewer than two studio albums of all new original material from Yes Official and Yes Featuring released in 2018 combined. An album of studio material mixed with live material doesn't count for the purposes of any potential bet, and a "double album" released by either faction counts as one album only. Solo releases and side projects not eligible. Void where prohibited.

I don't see it as a priority for either group, and some of the older members have really overloaded fheir schedules with other things relative to what people their age usually take on. Its unfortunate.
    Last edited by downbyariver; 02-05-2018 at 06:18 PM.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

They're always writing on new songs. The real question is, are they heading towards recording them ?

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by downbyariver View Post
    I hate to bet against what I'd like to see, but I've got $10 that says there will be fewer than two studio albums of all new original albums from Yes Official and Yes Featuring released in 2018 combined. An album of studio material mixed with live material doesn't count for the purposes of any potential bet, and a "double album" released by either faction counts as one album only. Solo releases and side projects not eligible. Void where prohibited.

I don't see it as a priority for either group, and some of the older members have really overloaded fheir schedules with other things relative to what people their age usually take on. Its unfortunate.
    Trying to reason from your standpoint, what might urge them is the notion that it would be their final records as a group.
    I, for one, wouldn’t bother them again about new music if they have one more go at it this year.
    ”Hit me baby, one more time.”

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp on Attack View Post
    They're always writing on new songs. The real question is, are they heading towards recording them ?
    I would guess Steve is using the same caution in when they are going to make a new album as with who is going to produce/record the album. I don't see them rushing over to Billy's to do it for the 50th, but I could be wrong.

Super Mega Insane Yesfan josuev80's Avatar

I think Josuev and Antioch posts make sense here.. perhaps the anti yes people show of listen to themselves
    Who's anti-Yes? I have bought tickets twice to see both Yes and YesF the last two years. Yes and YesF working on new music isn't really news anymore until a release date for a studio album is announced.

Trying to reason from your standpoint, what might urge them is the notion that it would be their final records as a group.
    I, for one, wouldn’t bother them again about new music if they have one more go at it this year.
    ”Hit me baby, one more time.”
    I have to be honest- I'll always want more albums. :) As long as there is a Yes, my feeling is that I'd like to see them as a creative entity that is about making music and not solely as an expensive touring nostalgia act. If they were putting out new albums every two years, I'd strongly support a Yes continuing beyond Steve and Alan, etc.. I guess I come at it from a different place than a lot of people. I understand the way the music industry is now doesn't encourage the type of behavior I'd like to see.

People throw around phrases like "tribute band" and whatnot, and, to me, they're not that as long as they keep recording, even if they lose all their members from the first 20 years, and they risk becoming that if they stop making new music, even if they reunite every single living member from those two decades. Rock bands make music. It's not the Glen Miller Orchestra out there. :)

Though I realize my view is not necessarily widely shared, it's also not completely out of touch- All indications are that Chris Squire was strongly in favor of regularly recording new albums and pleaded with Billy Sherwood from his deathbed to keep the band alive and creatively active.

I'm not bothered that much anymore about new music. At this stage I consider everything that comes our way a bonus. They've given me more than I could have ever wished for with the 21 albums out there. If we get new music, great. If "all" we get is some great shows honouring the legacy that is so dear to me, from either Yes bands, I'm more than grateful either.
    Jon Anderson (2018 interview): "We live for one thing alone and that is to find the divine energy within you, that is connected to the divine energy that surrounds us"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    I'm not bothered that much anymore about new music. At this stage I consider everything that comes our way a bonus. They've given me more than I could have ever wished for with the 21 albums out there. If we get new music, great. If "all" we get is some great shows honouring the legacy that is so dear to me, from either Yes bands, I'm more than grateful either.
    Pretty much, though I'd really like to see a couple more albums with Jon D. - I like the guy and I'd like to see the band stretch out with him.
    Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast