Google

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jimmy Page at the guitarist of Yes could it have worked?

Jimmy Page at the guitarist of Yes could it have worked?

Well I’m sure this thread will just fall into complaint and disarray within what 3, 4 posts but still after seeing the ZEPPLIN cover band show last night and the various discussion we as Yesfans have had recently about Page in both the context of XYZ and as a producer of the current lineup I figured I would pose a quandary could Page have possibly worked as guitarist of Yes?

I propose two possible scenarios

Scenario 1 the XYZ sessions don’t stop in 81 but instead Tony Kaye and Jon Anderson join forcing the band to be Yes with a lineup of

Jon Anderson Lead Vocals
    Jimmy Page Guitar hacking vocals
    Chris Squire bass back vocals
    Alan White Drums
    Tony Kaye Keyboards

Fantasy option number 2 instead of Anderson walking away in 04 it’s Steve Howe so in 2005 we get a lineup of

Jon Anderson lead vocals
    Jimmy Page Guitar and vocals
    Chris Squire Bass and vocals
    Rick Wakeman keyboards
    Alan White drums

Personally I think it could of worked either time but if either option were to happen honestly the 2005 lineup would of been more successful and because I am this bored setlist for the 05 show

Firebird suite
    Yours is no disgrace
    Telephone secrets (a new song of the new album)
    Can you Imagine
    Parallels
    Owner of a Lonely Heart
    All of my love (I can actually picture Jon singing this)
    Rhythm of Love
    Kashmir (see above)
    And you and I (I can picture Jimmy playing this)
    Mind drive
    Encore
    Stairway to Heaven (I can again weirdly picture Jon singing this)
    Roundabout

Btw for those who normally complain don’t just don’t post do not pass go to not collect 200 dollars of your only response is “your insane” your Dam right I am I am a crazy yes fan so watch out or I will find you tie you up and force you to hear all of tales.
    Chris Squire RIP 1948-2015 thank you for every album every song every moment... the world will truly never be the same again.
    Yes is Steve Howe Geoff Downes Jon Davison Billy Sherwood Alan White Jay Schellen and Tony Kaye and they have my support.
    GTT

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

Re: Jimmy Page at the guitarist of Yes could it have worked?

No is my answer to your question.
    When one musician with a lengthy career in one band gets ‘transplanted’ into another band with a lengthy career, the two won’t mix, like oil and water.
    But I’m always open to examples of the contrary.

Jimmy was perfect for Led Zeppelin. That conglomeration of 4 had a special kind of magic. Page was the riff master, he came up with some of the most iconic riffs in the history of rock and roll. He could be a train wreck of a live lead guitarist though, I really feel his brilliance shone through in the studio.

Howe, in contrast, was perfect for Yes. He had the breadth and scope to serve the music they made. I agree with CP, you can’t just transplant people in other bands and expect the musical chemistry to work. The XYZ stuff sounds pretty average to me, nothing earth shattering there that would indicate the fruition of something special.

Super Mega Insane Yesfan josuev80's Avatar

Super Mega Yesfan popeyebonaparte's Avatar

In 1981 it might have worked on a musical level but Peter Grant and to an extent Page himself wouldn't have wanted to join Yes if he could form a new project.
    In 2005 it's completely ludicrous.

He did briefly join them for one song at Dortmund 1984. Wonder if the masters for THAT are still in the German TV vaults? One would hope someone had kept it...
    Peace, love, long live rock n roll

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

Like I noted in the thread about 9012Live, someone either in the organization or whoever owns those masters has the entire recording from Dortmund because parts of it were used for 9012Live.
    "If you slice me in two, I'm prog all the way through."
    - Mr. Poms

https://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

This is my current user title Discount Ministry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post
    In 1981 it might have worked on a musical level but Peter Grant and to an extent Page himself wouldn't have wanted to join Yes if he could form a new project.
    In 2005 it's completely ludicrous.

He did briefly join them for one song at Dortmund 1984. Wonder if the masters for THAT are still in the German TV vaults? One would hope someone had kept it...
    German TV tends to keep everything like some insane hoarder, thank Dog or half of the electronic music revolution would have been lost to the eyes of the world. Bless the beasts, ARD and WDR...

Beat-Club alone is a world treasure.
    God gave Rock and Roll and Bacon to YOU.

And probably not, Jimmy Page had a pretty crazy ride and when Bonham died, it was kinda time for all of the members to go their own directions. Page and Plant worked okay because they know each other well.

XYZ was likely fun for him, but ultimately just a project. If anything, it probably did help Yes as a group.

No, no - not at all.

I love Jimmy, but he couldn't have worked for Yes. I've spent a good deal of my life collecting Zep boots and half of what makes it worthwhile is listening to Jimmy. Massively talented he may be, but he's not technically perfect and he's erratic as hell. You can often hear him striving for something just out of his reach and only getting it part of the time - his improvations are brave, and when they come off, glorious. It makes it more exciting, but less than reliable.

Steve's not only got an altogether different technique with some rather different influences, he's not exactly the freewheeling seat of the pants adventurer Jimmy is. He's measured, precise and almost classical in approach, even when he's not playing more classical pieces.

I love them both, for...er, different reasons, but Jimmy wouldn't cut it in Yes. Or Steve in Zep for that matter.
    Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...

Quote Originally Posted by Ceasar's Palace View Post
    No is my answer to your question.
    When one musician with a lengthy career in one band gets ‘transplanted’ into another band with a lengthy career, the two won’t mix, like oil and water.
    But I’m always open to examples of the contrary.
    Jimmy has the blues flowing through his veins.

Yesfan

I did read somewhere long ago that Page had great respect for Steve Howe as a player ... I'll have to find where I read that.

It wouldn't work from a technical standpoint. Achilles Last Stand was probably the most intricate Led Zeppelin song and it was a cascading series of riffs but it didn't require change of keys or general musical direction like Yes songs do. I can't picture Page playing, say, Close to the Edge anymore than I could see Steve Howe playing Whole Lotta Love.

However, XYZ was interesting because it wasn't Yes and it wasn't Zep. They didn't fully realize that project because it was too soon after Led Zep broke up and Bonham's death AND quite frankly Page was smacked out of his mind until about 1983. Then kicked the Coke habit sometime in 1984. The Firm project basically introduced Page as a functioning musician again a full 4-5 years after Zeppelin broke up. I'm not sure it could have worked until then. I think XYZ was an interesting idea that maybe could have worked, but Page as Yes's guitar player would be a clash in styles.

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Morton View Post
    I can't picture Page playing, say, Close to the Edge anymore than I could see Steve Howe playing Whole Lotta Love.
    Not sure about that last part.
    It would be like when Yes played The Beatles I’m Down live, Howe did a good job there...

Mega Insane Yesfan

Very different styles of music and quite unsuited to each other in every way.

It wouldn't have worked then (because of lifestyle issues, loss and general stagnation), and definiely not today. He and Steve make a nice-looking pair in theory, actually, and I always felt they had lots in common as players. Some of the licks on The Song Remains The Same (the track) are especially Howe-esque, and IMHO, any guitarist worth their salt in 1972, would have been paying attention to Steve Howe. By the early 80s, they were both sort of old hat, and to the eager Chris and Alan, Jimmy would seem as good replacement as any. There was real added value with the proposed full-on marriage of the two bands; not just the pleasingly succinct moniker. Still mere years past their imperial phase, there was no reason why Page and Plant couldn't breathe new life into their partnership and adapt to the times. Genesis were already doing it, whilst also branching off and diversifying. Supergroups were still a hot thing, as Asia would prove. Properly re-invigorated, they could hypothetically have summoned up the ferocious might of Zeppelin ca. 1973 (or, say 75, to be realistic), and mounted it on the indestructible engine of Squire/White, who were plenty fearsome on their most recent tour (and would in short order go on to tear up stadia with a guitar wizard from literally the other side of the planet). But a) Percy wasn't in the mood, and b) Page was a little strung out, by most accounts. Zappa was so right about Jimmy, as he was about Jimi.

Plant, only in his early thirties in 1981 (and with a lifetime of experience) got back on the horse pretty quickly, and has basically kept going at a relatively steady clip ever since. Page, as we know, is a different story. Not to say I don't sympathize. I'm having a hard time just quitting cigarettes, never mind Class A drugs. And just as a person, I can imagine that when you've heard the phrase "can't even play anymore" a few times, it gets to you; no matter how immense your album sales, or your perceived influence. but at the end of the day, the people I truly admire are those who stay committed to their work, and don't get hung up on being legendary. You can hear it in Howe sometimes when he moans about making new albums, and you can see it in his fetishizing of the original arrangements and focus on the Main Sequence. The difference that makes all the difference is that our Steve keeps working. He went the supergroup route for most of the 80s, but he's kept making his quirky and varied solo albums even when he didn't have to. That work ethic, and artistic outlook, is basically what I hang my sole remaining hopes on for another truly great Yes album. Though I was never as big a fan of the Z as of the Y, some of their albums touch the same realms of greatness, so I would have been very much in favour of a succesful union of the two. As it stands, I very much doubt this particular constellation would have produced anything essential, unless certain people kicked their bad habits, to put it bluntly. I reckon "certain other people" could be allowed to keep partying for a few more years, but should really start slowing down as we approach the nineties.

btw: there's an error in the thread title. It should read "Jimmy Page at the guitarist of Yes could it of worked?"

Mega Insane Yesfan

'Jimmy Page as the guitarist of Yes; could it have worked?' would be the best sentence-form of the question/thread title.
    'could it of worked?' is grammatical nonsense.

I did read somewhere long ago that Page had great respect for Steve Howe as a player ... I'll have to find where I read that.
    On that note, I remember reading an interview with Pete Townshend, done ca mid-70s, where he refers to Steve as "a genius, or near-genius", and my heart just swelled with pride, tbh. I don't think it was ever unfashionable to dis Yes as flashy onanism or airy-fairy nonsense or whatever, so it says something that greats like PT recognized their awesomeness.

It wouldn't work from a technical standpoint. Achilles Last Stand was probably the most intricate Led Zeppelin song and it was a cascading series of riffs but it didn't require change of keys or general musical direction like Yes songs do. I can't picture Page playing, say, Close to the Edge anymore than I could see Steve Howe playing Whole Lotta Love.

However, XYZ was interesting because it wasn't Yes and it wasn't Zep. They didn't fully realize that project because it was too soon after Led Zep broke up and Bonham's death AND quite frankly Page was smacked out of his mind until about 1983. Then kicked the Coke habit sometime in 1984. The Firm project basically introduced Page as a functioning musician again a full 4-5 years after Zeppelin broke up. I'm not sure it could have worked until then. I think XYZ was an interesting idea that maybe could have worked, but Page as Yes's guitar player would be a clash in styles.
    I could easily picture an in-shape Page adapting any Yes piece to his style, give the time to learn all the changes. In fact, I am morally convinced that 1972 Jimmy Page would have knocked most of it out of the park, once he was committed to the Yes machine and their ten-hour rehearsals. Check out "Black Dog" on TSRTS, or the aforementioned studio version of the title track. Or, hey, sorry to get all leather vested Zep dude on you, but, ever heard a little track called "Since I've Been Loving You"? Dude is on point, and dude can extemporize like your granma on acid. You telling me dude couldn't have torn up "Yours Is No Disgrace", once he got that fiendish opening salvo down pat? Think of "Whole Lotta Love" as Page's YIND, and TSRTS as his Siberian Khatru. Or something. What makes both dudes similar is to a large degree that they're self-taught, a little rough around the edges. They play multiple styles, but they're all essentially traditional styles. Neither are in the technical range of soloists like McLaughlin or Holdsworth, but have good enough fundamentals for session work, and more importantly, a questing, exploratory spirit that infuses their best playing with character and creates unrepeatable moments. Taking chances, and frankly being a little brash about it.

That said, the clash in styles between Page and what Yes were doing is probably significant enough for it not to have been a great match. Just purely from a guitar playing perspective, though, Page would actually by one of my top choices in a parallel reality (70s-set) scenario where Steve must be replaced. Of the other "name" guitarists of the time, I don't know who would be that much better suited, really? Maybe McLaughlin or Holdsworth? Then again, they would probably find something to be offended by either in Jon's religious babblings, or his nutty approach to composition and recording, or they'd simply pass out from the dope smoke. I for one would love to have seen how the Anderson/Page-devised TFTO turned out; all Crowleyan sex magick and scary tritones no doubt. Who else? Could Hackett hack it?
    Last edited by dallasman; 02-03-2018 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Don the Cap View Post
    'Jimmy Page as the guitarist of Yes; could it have worked?' would be the best sentence-form of the question/thread title.
    'could it of worked?' is grammatical nonsense.
    This is where I post the McBain gif.

I remember when I got the news when Bonham died, was is a logics class, and many in the class were reverberating from the news. I had tickets to see them and was very disappointed. Page was never the same after that, having Bonham die in his house. I did get to see him with the Firm, good show, but he sat for alot of it. I dont think ex members of Yes and Zeppelin get together for the hell of it. XYZ. It seems they had good momentum, but Page's drug problems screwed things up. Would love to see him put something together and release. He seems to be in that mode with all the re releases of old Zeppelin stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by dallasman View Post
    You want the video instead? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzjfrdcN1Z8

Mega Insane Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by dallasman View Post
    I have no Idea what that means. I expect it was sarcastic though. Bloody Internet!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast