Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 166

Thread: Cruise to the Edge 2018

  1. #1
    Administrator soulsearcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the misty mountain
    Posts
    11,836
    Rep Power
    107375036

    Cruise to the Edge 2018

    Hi guys!
    I can't believe there is no thread for the CTTE 2018..
    coming right up in a few days..
    I'm leaving tomorrow for my 4th CTTE..
    I'm very excited and just realised that all of the talking is begging done on FB..
    Who I going on the CRUISE from this site.. there might be people who are not on fb...
    with love and wonder, denise

    "We receive all we venture to give..."





  2. #2
    Yesfan nzyesfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,009
    Rep Power
    107374590

    Re: Cruise to the Edge 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by soulsearcher View Post
    Hi guys!
    I can't believe there is no thread for the CTTE 2018..
    coming right up in a few days..
    I'm leaving tomorrow for my 4th CTTE..
    I'm very excited and just realised that all of the talking is begging done on FB..
    Who I going on the CRUISE from this site.. there might be people who are not on fb...
    Have a great cruise and say hi to the guys from us.
    -----
    paul
    -----

  3. #3
    Administrator soulsearcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the misty mountain
    Posts
    11,836
    Rep Power
    107375036

    Re: Cruise to the Edge 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by nzyesfan View Post
    Have a great cruise and say hi to the guys from us.
    Thanks! I almost cant believe I'm going in a couple days!
    with love and wonder, denise

    "We receive all we venture to give..."

  4. #4
    Wishing you well...
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Carbondale, IL
    Age
    58
    Posts
    3,561
    Rep Power
    107374593

    Re: Cruise to the Edge 2018

    Have fun, Denise and everyone going! Wish I was there!

  5. #5
    Super Insane Yesfan Soundchaser_413's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,094
    Rep Power
    107374543

    Re: Cruise to the Edge 2018

    I've never been to one. Anyway, have fun!

  6. #6
    onward... somissound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Somis, California
    Age
    45
    Posts
    9,544
    Rep Power
    107374906

    Re: Cruise to the Edge 2018

    Have fun!!

  7. #7
    Insane Yesfan Eddie Yesongs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,153
    Rep Power
    107374301

    Re: Cruise to the Edge 2018

    I'm going for the third time, sorry to have missed the first two

    E
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

  8. #8
    Jonathan (Jon) Punj Lizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    London (and sometimes Dharamasala, India)
    Age
    56
    Posts
    3,502
    Rep Power
    107374487

    Re: Cruise to the Edge 2018

    Missing it again this year. The first three were magnificent and I'm sure last year was and this year will be again. Have fun Denise, Eddie and all other cruisers.
    26/10/77 (Wembley); 26/10/78 (Wembley); 14/12/80 and 16/12/80 (Hammersmith); 11/7/84 and 12/7/84 (Wembley); 8/12/87 (Montreal); 23/8/89 (ABWH - Ottawa); ... The Wilderness Years ...; 16/6/04 (Wembley); 17/11/09 (Hammersmith); 17/11/11 (Hammersmith); 26/3/13, 27/3/13 and 29/3/13 (Cruise to the Edge); 8/4/14 and 9/4/14 (Cruise to the Edge); 8/5/14 (Royal Albert Hall); 15/11/15 and 16/11/15 (Cruise to the Edge); 10/5/16 (Royal Albert Hall); 19/3/17 (ARW - Hammersmith); 24/3/18 and 25/3/18 (London Palladium)

  9. #9
    War ... just breaks the soul Bluegrunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,018
    Rep Power
    107374945

    Re: Cruise to the Edge 2018

    Have a great time Cruisers.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Lame, naive, laughable and stupid

  10. #10
    Super Yesfan True 7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    157
    Rep Power
    85899838

    Re: Cruise to the Edge 2018

    Has there been any chatter about Yes' setlist, or what tunes will feature Tony Kaye? I hope attendees will be able to share a field report on that when it happens. Don't forget to bring Purell!

    I remember some candid comments from Tony many years ago about the Union tour, wherein he said he realized how much the fans were thrilled to have Wakeman present. I think Tony will be pleasantly surprised on this tour to see how excited fans will be to see Tony Kaye perform.
    True

  11. #11
    onward... somissound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Somis, California
    Age
    45
    Posts
    9,544
    Rep Power
    107374906

    Re: Cruise to the Edge 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by True 7 View Post
    Has there been any chatter about Yes' setlist, or what tunes will feature Tony Kaye? I hope attendees will be able to share a field report on that when it happens. Don't forget to bring Purell!

    I remember some candid comments from Tony many years ago about the Union tour, wherein he said he realized how much the fans were thrilled to have Wakeman present. I think Tony will be pleasantly surprised on this tour to see how excited fans will be to see Tony Kaye perform.
    I agree regarding Tony. Going to be some happy fans! Looking forward to any reports on the set list etc. and don't forget to bring some Prell.

  12. #12
    Insane Yesfan Eddie Yesongs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,153
    Rep Power
    107374301

    Re: Cruise to the Edge 2018

    I bought an internet package, so if it works I'll share anything exciting

    Thanks for the good wishes above!

    E
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

  13. #13
    Yes-East-West-Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Cologne, Germany
    Age
    56
    Posts
    6,558
    Rep Power
    107374808

    Re: Cruise to the Edge 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by True 7 View Post
    Has there been any chatter about Yes' setlist, or what tunes will feature Tony Kaye? I hope attendees will be able to share a field report on that when it happens. Don't forget to bring Purell!

    I remember some candid comments from Tony many years ago about the Union tour, wherein he said he realized how much the fans were thrilled to have Wakeman present. I think Tony will be pleasantly surprised on this tour to see how excited fans will be to see Tony Kaye perform.
    Great Sentiment... If one listens to The Yes Album it gets clear, that Tony set the high standard of Yes-keyboard-Players. I'd trust him to play any Yessong his way, including Gates or Sound Chaser. I saw him with Yoso some years ago in Cologne and he was impressive on all Yes-tunes and snippets from the Medley. He is a texture-monster and does not need so much tones, he instinctively knows the fine art how to deal with leaving space and breathing for the right tension.

  14. #14
    Super Insane Yesfan barra1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,041
    Rep Power
    107374498

    Re: Cruise to the Edge 2018

    All aboard

    Hope you a great time and remember and let us know the tidbits and gossip , did TK wear his "hard" T shirt and what the band played etc

  15. #15
    SR Super Yesfan downbyariver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,778
    Rep Power
    107374639

    Re: Cruise to the Edge 2018

    Hope everyone who's going has fun!

    It's way out of my price range, but I enjoy reading the reports from yesfans who are abroad ship each year- and the occasional bit of video. Jon Davison singing a Genesis song with fans at 1am or 2am in the morning one year was a youtube highlight for me. :) I also remember one year that they said fans decided to try to play "Gates of Delirium", and someone told Chris Squire and he came out to watch it.

    There's a question and answer session aboard ship and, though the guys in the band have the option of sort of staying segregated from the general populace if they want and eating in their own area, etc., some band members sometimes will just go to a bar or food area or whatever and hang out with people.

    So, that means two potential question opportunities. :)

    I don't want anyone to bug any members of the band while they are trying to eat their eggs and bacon or something, or ask anything that makes the questioners or the answerers uncomfortable, *but* if it seems like a good time and like everyone will be cool with it, here are a few suggested unanswered questions that I'm curious about (Use your best judgement):

    - [For anyone/everyone] Do you see it as important for a band like Yes to continue to make new music on a regular basis? If so, has any thought been given to the idea of getting the band back into a groove of releasing albums every 2, 3, 4 years or whatever? Do you see there as being the possibility of a string of several Yes albums for this core group that represents it's own era in the way that there were in the 70s, 80s, and so on and so forth? Any plans afoot?

    - [For Jon Davison] I love your voice and the way you're constantly improving as a musician. Though I'd most look forward to seeing you on hopefully a lot more Yes albums, since they seem to be coming out fairly rarely, have you thought about recording solo albums or forming a group and putting out some original Yes-like music or music that speaks to your heart as a side project? I really enjoyed your vocals on Billy Sherwood's "Written in the Centuries" and hear that you're going to be singing a couple of Yes songs on his Chris Squire tribute- any thought to maybe recording new music in a studio-only group with Billy and maybe some other current or former Yes guys?

    - [For Geoff Downes and/or Billy Sherwood] Billy did a great job of filling in for the late great John Wetton on Asia's tour with Journey this summer. I know the band is taking some time to sort of process and grieve, but I was glad to hear that Geoff (You) has (have) made a commitment to turning the material that John and Geoff were working on for a future Asia album before his death into a new album. Do you picture Billy Sherwood singing lead and playing bass on that (Or, if you're asking Billy: "Would you be willing to sing lead on that?")? Is there a possibility of future albums beyond that with the existing group? I really love Asia in all of it's incarnations and would support the band continuing on with with Billy, Geoff, Sam, and Carl- or even Billy, Geoff, Sam, and a new drummer if Carl doesn't want to continue (He was thinking about quitting before John passed away). I also think there's room for a great live album with Billy giving the Asia classics his distinct treatment.

    - [For Billy Sherwood] I've really enjoyed reading about the Chris Squire tribute album you're working on. Any word on a release date? How about that solo album you were talking about featuring "Conversations with Siri"? Any new Circa: coming our way? I loved the most recent album- Valley of the Windmills. What else are you working on?

    - [For Steve Howe and/or Alan White] With 50 years of great Yes music in the books, one of the things that strikes me is that Yes has been able to do that with multiple lineup changes at every position in the band except bass guitar, which has had two different people doing it. Should the two of your retire at some point, do you picture allowing the other members of the band to continue to carry on the Yes name and legacy without you as it has always done in the past? I'd really love to see another 50 years of Yes. :)

    - [For Tony Kaye] I've really enjoyed your collaborations with Billy Sherwood over the years, including Circa:. I was excited to hear that you were asked to do part of his Chris Squire tribute. Any new Circa: or other Billy Sherwood projects in the pipeline for you beyond that? How about other stuff? Have you been asked to do anything for a new Yes album? If you were asked to do a song or two on a future Yes album, would that be something you'd be interested in?

    - [For anyone/everyone] Do you anticipate doing any 90125/Big Generator songs on this summer's 50th anniversary tour in the US? How about a song or two from recent studio albums to show the entire span of the 50 years Yes has been around? The 70s stuff is great, as is Drama, but it'd be cool to hear some stuff from the most recent 40 years of Yes as well as the first 10, especially for an anniversary. It'd also make for a cool live album, hearing some stuff that hasn't made other live albums recently if at all.

    - [For anyone/everyone] Topographic Drama was great, one of the best Yes live albums I've heard, both because of the interesting new combination of players, but also being able to hear some live versions of songs that haven't been on previous live albums. As the cost of living recording is dropping, some bands have started to release live albums a lot more frequently than they used to. Marillion seems to have constant live releases. Has any thought been given to what's planned in the future for that? Is the US 50th anniversary tour a likely candidate to have released as a live album down the line?

    - [For Geoff] What are the odds on that elusive third Buggles album getting made in the next year or two?

    - [For anyone] What really went down at the Hall of Fame thing with ARW? What are your candid thoughts on those guys? I thought the way they disrespected Billy was egregious. What did Steve say in that magazine interview that he asked them not to print the next day?


    Just a few ideas. As I said, use your best judgement. I have no tact. Don't ask anything you don't feel comfortable with, but if you do ask any of these questions, a variant on them, or other questions, and get some interesting answers, I'd love to see them posted! :)
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

  16. #16
    SR Super Yesfan downbyariver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,778
    Rep Power
    107374639

    Re: Cruise to the Edge 2018

    Oh, and another good one might be to ask about "Horizons" and some of the other stuff worked up for a potential new Yes album and whether there is any chance they might hit the studio soon. I think the more people can tell them that they are looking forward to new stuff, the better chance we have of them doing it. A lot of musicians probably feel like they are dropping their music into a black hole relative to the old days, and if they know it's appreciated, especially by fans who are willing to shell out big money for things like cruises, and that it keeps the fans excited and willing to do stuff like that, the more incentive it'll give them.

    Plus, I'd honestly love to hear more about any music that might come out. Maybe you can someone to hum a very bars for you or something. :)
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

  17. #17
    Mega Yesfan OB1kenOB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    The Ozarks
    Age
    60
    Posts
    550
    Rep Power
    107374501

    Re: Cruise to the Edge 2018

    Wishing you all the best on this upcoming Yes adventure.
    I was on the first and second and this year we spent our big dollar vacation budget on Moody Blues Cruise.
    The On The Blue production company does a great job on these and of course Jon Kirkman is cool.
    I wouldn't even consider a cruise vacation if it wasn't also an awesome music festival.
    So great to leave behind phone calls, internet, news, all the familiar, and live a fantasy for a few days.
    That which you are seeking, is causing you to seek !

  18. #18
    SR Super Yesfan
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6,468
    Rep Power
    107374657

    Re: Cruise to the Edge 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by OB1kenOB View Post
    Wishing you all the best on this upcoming Yes adventure.
    I was on the first and second and this year we spent our big dollar vacation budget on Moody Blues Cruise.
    The On The Blue production company does a great job on these and of course Jon Kirkman is cool.
    I wouldn't even consider a cruise vacation if it wasn't also an awesome music festival.
    So great to leave behind phone calls, internet, news, all the familiar, and live a fantasy for a few days.


    Last chance to hear and see Saga riffs. Would have thought their farewell would be an outdoor show in Germany. Songs like Don't Be Late need the throngs of thousands to sing along. If this is their last show ever there are a multitude of potential guest appearances to be had.

  19. #19
    SR Super Yesfan
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6,468
    Rep Power
    107374657

    Re: Cruise to the Edge 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by somissound View Post
    I agree regarding Tony. Going to be some happy fans! Looking forward to any reports on the set list etc. and don't forget to bring some Prell.

    So so for the foreseeable future is this a two drummer - two keyboard Yes?

  20. #20
    Yesfan
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    103
    Rep Power
    52168701

    Re: Cruise to the Edge 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by downbyariver View Post
    Hope everyone who's going has fun!

    It's way out of my price range, but I enjoy reading the reports from yesfans who are abroad ship each year- and the occasional bit of video. Jon Davison singing a Genesis song with fans at 1am or 2am in the morning one year was a youtube highlight for me. :) I also remember one year that they said fans decided to try to play "Gates of Delirium", and someone told Chris Squire and he came out to watch it.

    There's a question and answer session aboard ship and, though the guys in the band have the option of sort of staying segregated from the general populace if they want and eating in their own area, etc., some band members sometimes will just go to a bar or food area or whatever and hang out with people.

    So, that means two potential question opportunities. :)

    I don't want anyone to bug any members of the band while they are trying to eat their eggs and bacon or something, or ask anything that makes the questioners or the answerers uncomfortable, *but* if it seems like a good time and like everyone will be cool with it, here are a few suggested unanswered questions that I'm curious about (Use your best judgement):

    - [For anyone/everyone] Do you see it as important for a band like Yes to continue to make new music on a regular basis? If so, has any thought been given to the idea of getting the band back into a groove of releasing albums every 2, 3, 4 years or whatever? Do you see there as being the possibility of a string of several Yes albums for this core group that represents it's own era in the way that there were in the 70s, 80s, and so on and so forth? Any plans afoot?

    - [For Jon Davison] I love your voice and the way you're constantly improving as a musician. Though I'd most look forward to seeing you on hopefully a lot more Yes albums, since they seem to be coming out fairly rarely, have you thought about recording solo albums or forming a group and putting out some original Yes-like music or music that speaks to your heart as a side project? I really enjoyed your vocals on Billy Sherwood's "Written in the Centuries" and hear that you're going to be singing a couple of Yes songs on his Chris Squire tribute- any thought to maybe recording new music in a studio-only group with Billy and maybe some other current or former Yes guys?

    - [For Geoff Downes and/or Billy Sherwood] Billy did a great job of filling in for the late great John Wetton on Asia's tour with Journey this summer. I know the band is taking some time to sort of process and grieve, but I was glad to hear that Geoff (You) has (have) made a commitment to turning the material that John and Geoff were working on for a future Asia album before his death into a new album. Do you picture Billy Sherwood singing lead and playing bass on that (Or, if you're asking Billy: "Would you be willing to sing lead on that?")? Is there a possibility of future albums beyond that with the existing group? I really love Asia in all of it's incarnations and would support the band continuing on with with Billy, Geoff, Sam, and Carl- or even Billy, Geoff, Sam, and a new drummer if Carl doesn't want to continue (He was thinking about quitting before John passed away). I also think there's room for a great live album with Billy giving the Asia classics his distinct treatment.

    - [For Billy Sherwood] I've really enjoyed reading about the Chris Squire tribute album you're working on. Any word on a release date? How about that solo album you were talking about featuring "Conversations with Siri"? Any new Circa: coming our way? I loved the most recent album- Valley of the Windmills. What else are you working on?

    - [For Steve Howe and/or Alan White] With 50 years of great Yes music in the books, one of the things that strikes me is that Yes has been able to do that with multiple lineup changes at every position in the band except bass guitar, which has had two different people doing it. Should the two of your retire at some point, do you picture allowing the other members of the band to continue to carry on the Yes name and legacy without you as it has always done in the past? I'd really love to see another 50 years of Yes. :)

    - [For Tony Kaye] I've really enjoyed your collaborations with Billy Sherwood over the years, including Circa:. I was excited to hear that you were asked to do part of his Chris Squire tribute. Any new Circa: or other Billy Sherwood projects in the pipeline for you beyond that? How about other stuff? Have you been asked to do anything for a new Yes album? If you were asked to do a song or two on a future Yes album, would that be something you'd be interested in?

    - [For anyone/everyone] Do you anticipate doing any 90125/Big Generator songs on this summer's 50th anniversary tour in the US? How about a song or two from recent studio albums to show the entire span of the 50 years Yes has been around? The 70s stuff is great, as is Drama, but it'd be cool to hear some stuff from the most recent 40 years of Yes as well as the first 10, especially for an anniversary. It'd also make for a cool live album, hearing some stuff that hasn't made other live albums recently if at all.

    - [For anyone/everyone] Topographic Drama was great, one of the best Yes live albums I've heard, both because of the interesting new combination of players, but also being able to hear some live versions of songs that haven't been on previous live albums. As the cost of living recording is dropping, some bands have started to release live albums a lot more frequently than they used to. Marillion seems to have constant live releases. Has any thought been given to what's planned in the future for that? Is the US 50th anniversary tour a likely candidate to have released as a live album down the line?

    - [For Geoff] What are the odds on that elusive third Buggles album getting made in the next year or two?

    - [For anyone] What really went down at the Hall of Fame thing with ARW? What are your candid thoughts on those guys? I thought the way they disrespected Billy was egregious. What did Steve say in that magazine interview that he asked them not to print the next day?


    Just a few ideas. As I said, use your best judgement. I have no tact. Don't ask anything you don't feel comfortable with, but if you do ask any of these questions, a variant on them, or other questions, and get some interesting answers, I'd love to see them posted! :)
    Quote Originally Posted by downbyariver View Post
    Oh, and another good one might be to ask about "Horizons" and some of the other stuff worked up for a potential new Yes album and whether there is any chance they might hit the studio soon. I think the more people can tell them that they are looking forward to new stuff, the better chance we have of them doing it. A lot of musicians probably feel like they are dropping their music into a black hole relative to the old days, and if they know it's appreciated, especially by fans who are willing to shell out big money for things like cruises, and that it keeps the fans excited and willing to do stuff like that, the more incentive it'll give them.

    Plus, I'd honestly love to hear more about any music that might come out. Maybe you can someone to hum a very bars for you or something. :)
    Eggs and bacon? It might be lunch time after all that.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •