Thread: Subscribed Threads problem

My hovercraft is full of eels Grey Wolf's Avatar

Subscribed Threads problem

For the past few days I've been having a problem with my subscribed threads. Usually when I come here it will show only the threads that have new posts from the last time I visited, and when I click on the little button before the title it will take me to the first new post made since my last visit. Now it seems stuck and it thinks the last time I was here was 5 days ago, so I get a long list of updated threads. And the little button takes me to the post from 5 days ago instead of one from last night (the last time I was here.)

This is happening in both Firefox and Chrome on both my laptop and my phone, so I don't think it's a cache or history problem. I did delete my Yesfans cookies and log back in, but it was still stuck on it being Saturday or Sunday as my last login.

It's starting to get really annoying trying to figure out what really are the new posts. Any ideas on how to fix this?

BTW I visit other forums using vBulletin and the subscribed threads work fine there.
    Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
    Fly, Eagles, Fly From Here
    What, me worry?

Re: Subscribed Threads problem

I'm still experiencing this problem. Also, when I click on Mark Forums Read I get this error message:

Database error
    The Yesfans.com: The place for YES fans since 2001. database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
    • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
    • Open the www.yesfans.com home page, then try to open another page.
    • Click the Back button to try another link.
    The www.yesfans.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.
    We apologise for any inconvenience.
    Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
    What, me worry?

I tried logging out and also got a database error message. It did log me out, however. When I logged back in still thinks my last visit was last weekend.
    Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
    What, me worry?

One more thing: when I look at my profile it says my last activity was 6 days ago, even though it also shows that I made posts today. So what's up?
    Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
    What, me worry?

Does not share his porridge Discount Ministry's Avatar

Try Internet Explorer and see what happens, then figure out if your Chrome and Firefox are fully up to date/patched.

The current Firefox version is 57.0.4, although you can use earlier versions like 52 I understand.

Did you get a patch that was supposed to be related to 'Meltdown and SPECTRE'?

What OS are you using?

Since I don't use Subscribed Threads here but I do by default in the corporate vBulletin 3.9.3/equivalent that is proprientary to Internet Brands owned sites (name your sites if you would) and IB owns vB, it also is important to know which version of vB your sites use. The more common platforms are in the vB 4.x.x and 5.x.x series but a few still use 3.8.x from over ten years ago.

There is often a copyright and platform info statement at the bottom of each page. Ours is in black except for the word vBulletin so you may want to hold the mouse button down and roll over that. In our case we use 4.2.1, the 4.2.x series is common although I am on one site that actually rolled back to 4.1.x for a while (but I think that was before the IB corporate rollout of their version, it was either that site or my other vB site, Phoenix Audio Community Forums...their webmaster is pretty savvy, was running BBS boards etc before entering the Navy definitely Old School )
    If I don't really exist then at over 10,700 posts my nothingness has longevity, if not serious mojo.

I've got Windows 7 on my laptop, and yes Firefox and Chrome are up to date. I even tried Yesfans on my Vista laptop with the same result. And, as I said, the same thing happens on my Android phone. Previously it worked great no matter whether I used my laptop or phone, it remembered when I was last on the site no matter which device it was.

The database errors lead me to believe that my Yesfans account is "stuck" on my last activity of 6 days ago (currently). Don't know how that can be fixed.
    Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
    What, me worry?

I think your problem may be more related to either Windows or recent updates to FF and Chrome...now that I've installed all updates except the 01-2017 Security Rollup that was for the supposed Intel 'bugs' I find that FF and IE suck equally in Windows 7. I didn't have that problem with the Intel microcode update for Mint (if indeed it actually did anything as some wags say).

FF works okay in Linux Mint unless they panic and update it for stuff they hadn't finished figuring out...then you get it back after a few times. FF is a memory hog, and Chrome is a prematurely born OS.

But it does let me have Camphire's submarine back from Photobucket!

C'est la bonbon.
    If I don't really exist then at over 10,700 posts my nothingness has longevity, if not serious mojo.

Subscriptions.jpg See this atttachment please for reference

I ran a database fix and optimize. That may fix your issue. If you have not cleared your system cookies/internet history/temp history, etc. Sometimes that can get screwy with a cookies based website. I know you say other Vbull sites work, but perhaps your systems have us locked up? Are you coming to the site from a saved link you click on all the time? If so delete that and come to the site normally. Has anything onyour system, router, etc changed of late, spyware update? Updates could be messing with the site for you. I have no others saying anything about this issue. If you have not rebooted your system in some time, give that a try.
    Short of doing a site vbull upgrade not sure what else I can suggest.
    "YES" - Music that could make God cry with joy. Either you get it or you don't.

It's still happening. I already tried a lot of different things on my laptop without any luck. But it is happening on my phone on too, so that's a completely different network access point, different browser, and everything. Don't know what else I could do.
    Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
    What, me worry?

Huuum. does not make sense. Go read your PM messages in 10 min.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Wolf View Post
    Now it seems stuck and it thinks the last time I was here was 5 days ago, so I get a long list of updated threads.
    As a temporary partial fix, you could try clicking on the "3DaysPosts" link towards the top of the screen. That would give you the last 3 days worth of posts instead of the last 5 days worth of posts. It still won't get things back to where you want them, but it might be an incremental improvement over what you're dealing with now- something you could use until the issue you're having with subscribed threads gets resolved that would make your experience a little better than it is at the moment.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

OK, now it's working (at least for now )

Here's what I did:

I logged out. I got a message saying "All cookies cleared!". That did NOT happen previously when I tried logging out. I was getting a database error.

Then I logged in using the test account you gave me. That worked OK, but then there were no subscribed threads.

Then I logged out of that account and back in with my Grey Wolf account. Problem fixed! Maybe that database fix and optimize allowed me to log out correctly and that reset everything.

Thanks!

I'll see how it goes the next few days then I'll close this thread.
    Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
    What, me worry?

Keep me posted.

I can only suspect your ID was locked up in some odd ball way and using a new account to log into helped clear out your cookies the site was holding on your other user name.

It was just a fuel additive in the tank.

Everything's still working normally, I'm closing this thread. Thanks to those with suggestions, and thanks again to Tim.
    Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
    What, me worry?