Thread: RIP Ray Thomas

Mega Yesfan

RIP Ray Thomas

It’s a shame that he passed before the RRHOF induction....he wrote some great songs and a great singer and can’t leave out the flute......

Here today...

Re: RIP Ray Thomas

Oh no! I never even knew he was ill.

He won't be there for the induction, but at least he would have had the satisfaction of knowing the band had received the honour.

UK..........born in Morecambe but still not Wise !!!

He had been suffering from prostrate cancer for a number of years,but not sure this was the cause of his sudden death as it was rumoured quite recently that both Ray and Mike Pinder would rejoin the Moodies for the RnR Hall of Fame induction. So sad to hear of his passing ....he wrote some great songs..and was a nice guy ...I met him once back in the day. The original Veteran Cosmic Rocker!! Rest in peace .

The article I read said that he dies "suddenly."

This is so sad. It always felt, to me, like he was the heart and soul of the band...The Veteran Cosmic Rocker.

RIP Ray.

I think I'll binge some old Moodies tonight at work.
    Practice peace.

Yesfan

I was lucky enough to see the Moodies several times over the years in various formations including my first show with Patrick Moraz on keys at the old Boston Garden and my final show with a full orchestra backing them. Lots of great music and memories. His flute playing was a big part of what set them apart from other bands. HoF missed giving their award to another great rock and roller by dragging their feet (again).

Thank you, Ray.

Yes-East-West-Fan

Rest in peace, thanks for the Music.

Super Insane Yesfan Soundchaser_413's Avatar

Yep. Sad to hear about this. RIP Ray.

SR Super Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Soundchaser_413 View Post
    Yep. Sad to hear about this. RIP Ray.
    I have been on a binge Moodies retrospective this past month. I even listened to the Tide Rushes In last night. In the Moraz lawsuit they asked Ray Thomas stupid questions like "Did you know Patrick played in Yes and that Yes we're a very big band? His reply was yes he knew of Yes and people "told him" they were big but... they were not his "cup of tea". He seemed like a folkie and down to earth. They all seemed shocked Patrick sued them. As far as I could tell the long distance between Patrick and the Moodies was used as an excuse to get rid of a style of playing that they were mostly sick of. They described Patrick's playing and personality as flamboyant. The Moodies talk about him now with less harsh rhetoric.

Rays's folky contributions won't be forgotten.

Here today...

Ray Thomas could be an excellent songwriter when he tried. I was less enamoured of his whimsical songs like Floating, Dr Livingston i Presume, Lazy Day and Nice To Be Here, which somehow seemed out of place in between the deeply emotional and spiritual songs the others were supplying, especially Hayward and Pinder. However he really shines on A Question of Balance, Seventh Sojourn and Long Distance Voyager. The closing suite of LDV is just brilliant.

Super Yesfan

I always liked Ray's contributions to the Moodies albums along with Mike Pinder's - He could be whimsical at times, but tracks like the the rushes in and for my lady are just beautiful. Whilst LDV and the Present were OK- Ray didn't seem to be as much involved after that in terms writing or singing- The Moodies lost a lot when Mike left then Rays faded into the distance- I read that his vocals were largely mixed out of KttK. Its little sad to watch the court proceedings with Patrick and the position that the Moodles took that he was just a side man and not a member of the band- strange to have a side man on the album covers, in the videos, brochures and concert programmes etc- I would say that if Patrick was a side man- so was Ray for the final few albums before he retired- I think Patrick was dealt with rather unfairly- but it is a real shame that the classic 5 man line up of the late 60s and 70s wont be all there at the R&RHOF. Actually I think Patrick might have been the Moodies keys player for longer than Mike Pinder- so he misses out with Yes and the Moodies- bit of a shame!