Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Lana del Rey to be sued by Radiohead

  1. #1
    Here today...
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Age
    69
    Posts
    1,688
    Rep Power
    107374442

    Lana del Rey to be sued by Radiohead

    This cracks me up. Radiohead - or, more likely, their band of lawyers - are claiming that Lana del Rey has lifted the tune of "Creep" for one of her songs without crediting Radiohead.

    http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/news/m...t-free/9310472

    Somewhat ironic, wouldn't you say, since Creep itself shamelessly plagiarised an earlier song, "The Air that I Breathe", written by Mike Hazlewood and Albert Hammond, and made into a big hit by The Hollies?

    Anyway, I haven't heard Lana del Rey's song so I can't judge, but a saying about karma comes to mind. Now Radiohead know how it feels to (allegedly) have someone else use bits of your song without giving credit. Although I use the word "credit" advisedly, since i consider Creep to be one of Radiohead's worst songs, certainly the worst of their well-known songs.





  2. #2
    Mega Insane Yesfan
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Age
    59
    Posts
    4,260
    Rep Power
    107374434

    Re: Lana del Rey to be sued by Radiohead

    I'm a big fan of Radiohead's music. I have never heard of Lana Del Rey, and I have interest in the Hollies. I'll just keep listening to the music I like.

  3. #3
    ˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ʎlɹɐǝlɔ sɐɥ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos relayerone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Posts
    5,492
    Rep Power
    107374773

    Re: Lana del Rey to be sued by Radiohead

    Possessio is nine-tenths of the word.

    Music:♩♪♫♬ Volume: ▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 110 %

  4. #4
    Here today...
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Age
    69
    Posts
    1,688
    Rep Power
    107374442

    Re: Lana del Rey to be sued by Radiohead

    Quote Originally Posted by Don the Cap View Post
    I'm a big fan of Radiohead's music. I have never heard of Lana Del Rey, and I have interest in the Hollies. I'll just keep listening to the music I like.
    No one is saying you can't listen to the music you like. I was hoping you might have some comment on the article.

    Lana del Rey, for your info, is one of the biggest current names around; she has had at least two No. 1 albums. I know this from scanning the charts; I don't know what her music is like.

  5. #5
    SR Mega Yesfan RelayerI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The Black Country England
    Posts
    8,912
    Rep Power
    107374748

    Re: Lana del Rey to be sued by Radiohead

    Creep, ironically, was the song that attracted me to Radiohead and gave me an idea that I might like them.

    I was wrong - it's still the only thing they've done that I like.
    Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...

  6. #6
    Mega Insane Yesfan
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Age
    59
    Posts
    4,260
    Rep Power
    107374434

    Re: Lana del Rey to be sued by Radiohead

    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    No one is saying you can't listen to the music you like. I was hoping you might have some comment on the article.

    Lana del Rey, for your info, is one of the biggest current names around; she has had at least two No. 1 albums. I know this from scanning the charts; I don't know what her music is like.
    Sorry, I just don't care about this sort of stuff.

  7. #7
    Here today...
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Age
    69
    Posts
    1,688
    Rep Power
    107374442

    Re: Lana del Rey to be sued by Radiohead

    Quote Originally Posted by RelayerI View Post
    Creep, ironically, was the song that attracted me to Radiohead and gave me an idea that I might like them.

    I was wrong - it's still the only thing they've done that I like.
    Interesting how music affects different people differently. I never liked Creep, and that song was largely to blame for my avoiding Radiohead or taking any interest in subsequent releases, until by chance I heard "High and Dry" on the radio.

  8. #8
    Here today...
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Age
    69
    Posts
    1,688
    Rep Power
    107374442

    Re: Lana del Rey to be sued by Radiohead

    Quote Originally Posted by Don the Cap View Post
    Sorry, I just don't care about this sort of stuff.
    Just like you don't care about Halloween - but once again, if your don't care about it, why the need to butt in on the thread at all?

  9. #9
    Insane Yesfan Closetotheedge1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Narberth, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,030
    Rep Power
    107374419

    Re: Lana del Rey to be sued by Radiohead

    She offered 40%. I think she will pay more in the end.

  10. #10
    Mega Insane Yesfan
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Age
    59
    Posts
    4,260
    Rep Power
    107374434

    Re: Lana del Rey to be sued by Radiohead

    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Just like you don't care about Halloween - but once again, if your don't care about it, why the need to butt in on the thread at all?
    I guess I just like the sound of my own voice, and yours too, of course. Would you like me to go and put my head in a bucket of water? Here I am, brain the size of a planet.....

  11. #11
    The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,868
    Rep Power
    107374603

    Re: Lana del Rey to be sued by Radiohead

    https://youtu.be/cUQ0aNuhR-s

    It’s the same song, same chord progression and also same vocal melody line.
    With only so many usuable chords in pop music, there might be many more songs like this...
    Could make for an interesting mash up!

  12. #12
    ˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ʎlɹɐǝlɔ sɐɥ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos relayerone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Posts
    5,492
    Rep Power
    107374773

    Re: Lana del Rey to be sued by Radiohead

    Quote Originally Posted by Ceasar's Palace View Post
    https://youtu.be/cUQ0aNuhR-s

    It’s the same song, same chord progression and also same vocal melody line.
    With only so many usuable chords in pop music, there might be many more songs like this...
    Could make for an interesting mash up!
    What's ironic is the Hollies sued Radiohead for ripping them off with Creep. I can't stand that song myself, and Radiohead themselves aren't far behind, no finesse at all in the vocal department, which makes all the instrumental virtuosity in the world completely irrelevant to me.
    Possessio is nine-tenths of the word.

    Music:♩♪♫♬ Volume: ▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 110 %

  13. #13
    Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Happy cows come from California.
    Age
    53
    Posts
    9,981
    Rep Power
    107374862

    Re: Lana del Rey to be sued by Radiohead

    This reminds me of something...Steve Nicks admitted that she wrote "Stand Back" by singing her lyrics on top of "Little Red Corvette" but the music of that song has just somewhat of a resemblance (in the verses and the bridge) and Stevie admitted what she did to Prince and it's common knowledge now that he played on her song (albeit uncredited) and he didn't have an issue with it. I'm assuming she paid him as well, but that's never been documented to my knowledge.

    Comparing these two songs it really does sound like Lana had a karaoke version of "Creep" and then just wrote her vocal line on top of it. Like if you were to sing her lyrics on top of "Creep" if you heard it playing on the radio it would fit perfectly. Whereas I see the similarity of "Creep" versus "The Air That I Breathe" to be one of trope-like resemblance as opposed to deliberate appropriation.
    Last edited by luna65; 01-08-2018 at 11:52 AM.
    "If you slice me in two, I’m prog all the way through.”
    - Mr. Poms

    https://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

  14. #14
    Administrator soulsearcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the misty mountain
    Posts
    12,279
    Rep Power
    107375064

    Re: Lana del Rey to be sued by Radiohead

    Well I always thought that "My sweet Lord" was nothing like"He's so Fine " so what do I know lol
    with love and wonder, denise

    "We receive all we venture to give..."

  15. #15
    Administrator soulsearcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the misty mountain
    Posts
    12,279
    Rep Power
    107375064

    Re: Lana del Rey to be sued by Radiohead

    Omg come on.
    It's exactly the same song.

    https://youtu.be/cUQ0aNuhR-s
    with love and wonder, denise

    "We receive all we venture to give..."

  16. #16
    This is my current user title Discount Ministry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Alphaville
    Age
    52
    Posts
    11,497
    Rep Power
    107374888

    Re: Lana del Rey to be sued by Radiohead

    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Just like you don't care about Halloween - but once again, if your don't care about it, why the need to butt in on the thread at all?
    Oh come now, somebody has to not like her...
    Faux Speechless.

  17. #17
    This is my current user title Discount Ministry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Alphaville
    Age
    52
    Posts
    11,497
    Rep Power
    107374888

    Re: Lana del Rey to be sued by Radiohead

    Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    This reminds me of something...Steve Nicks admitted that she wrote "Stand Back" by singing her lyrics on top of "Little Red Corvette" but the music of that song has just somewhat of a resemblance (in the verses and the bridge) and Stevie admitted what she did to Prince and it's common knowledge now that he played on her song (albeit uncredited) and he didn't have an issue with it. I'm assuming she paid him as well, but that's never been documented to my knowledge.

    Comparing these two songs it really does sound like Lana had a karaoke version of "Creep" and then just wrote her vocal line on top of it. Like if you were to sing her lyrics on top of "Creep" if you heard it playing on the radio it would fit perfectly. Whereas I see the similarity of "Creep" versus "The Air That I Breathe" to be one of trope-like resemblance as opposed to deliberate appropriation.
    I thought the difference was that Prince actually wrote Stand Back for Stevie.
    Faux Speechless.

  18. #18
    Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Happy cows come from California.
    Age
    53
    Posts
    9,981
    Rep Power
    107374862

    Re: Lana del Rey to be sued by Radiohead

    Quote Originally Posted by soulsearcher View Post
    Well I always thought that "My sweet Lord" was nothing like"He's so Fine " so what do I know lol
    Oh yeah? For me it's unmistakeable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Discount Ministry View Post
    I thought the difference was that Prince actually wrote Stand Back for Stevie.
    According to what Steve has said, Prince played on the song but did not write it. But according to what I see on Wikipedia they did split the royalties which makes sense because "Stand Back" does borrow from LRC.
    "If you slice me in two, I’m prog all the way through.”
    - Mr. Poms

    https://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

  19. #19
    Mega Insane Yesfan
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Age
    59
    Posts
    4,260
    Rep Power
    107374434

    Re: Lana del Rey to be sued by Radiohead

    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    No one is saying you can't listen to the music you like. I was hoping you might have some comment on the article.

    Lana del Rey, for your info, is one of the biggest current names around; she has had at least two No. 1 albums. I know this from scanning the charts; I don't know what her music is like.
    I made a comment. There's an 'Ignore' facility available for you to use, so you can avoid me. Please use it. In the meantime I make any damned comment I like, Irrespective of whether it meets with your approval.
    You got the Ashes back, be content.

  20. #20
    This is my current user title Discount Ministry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Alphaville
    Age
    52
    Posts
    11,497
    Rep Power
    107374888

    Re: Lana del Rey to be sued by Radiohead

    Ignore doesn't work, their quotes still show (how immodest, cover them)!
    Faux Speechless.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •