Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Just watching Live at Montreux.....

Super Mega Yesfan popeyebonaparte's Avatar

Just watching Live at Montreux.....

... and it really made me realize that there is no Yes nowadays. Just thinking about the current state of affairs depresses me. You have Steve Howe's solo project passed of as Yes, Jon Anderson's solo project passed off as Yes. Bollocks. Watching this concert from 2003 - Anderson Howe Squire Wakeman White - THIS is Yes. This is the Yes that I loved for so many years. This is the Yes that changed my life. This is the Yes that continues to move me. All else is just political bollocks. The saddest thing is that the current narrative has distanced from listening to Yes per se. It's tainted by the crap going on now. It's reflected on this very site. We wouldn't be here if we didn't all have a shared passion for the energy behind true Yes music. It's sad that it's got to this point. I've had a few so it probably taints my particular expression at the moment but ---- it, c'est la vie. I love you all. As you were
    Peace, love, long live rock n roll

dreamland connecticut. to the left of the garden of geda

Re: Just watching Live at Montreux.....

Has it come to the point that only ghosts are in the empty corridors...

They're all strangers who never cared...
    So cruel like the world that we leave,
    Too late for even the night breathes to me.

The Yes we want to love and once knew...

I know them from some other life when things were different and we all were in the end

They say we are the light inside our dream, and it's something that touches them but as we take our time, look round and see, in time is where your meant to be... for the light dims inside of me.

I'd start an engine in the night If only just to break the silence between the creators of the flight.

[IMG][/IMG]

Everybody seems to loose their sense in what they believe in
    Misunderstanding what is true

Last edited by crotale2112; 01-07-2018 at 09:52 PM.

still undefined

I think we're all in the same boat, really. We all have our own notion of what Yes is and what the music means to us. Somehow if Yes were to get back together for one last tour, some universal wrong would be righted, and we could briefly recapture that magical time when we first got into the music.

But back then, I didn't think much about Yes, I cared about the music and what I was going through. In other words, I thought about the things I associated with the music, rather than the makers of it. But eventually one's fandom grows, and you get more into the band, the history, and what it stands for. And the band becomes the focus.

The last few years I've been trying to disassociate the band from the music, with varying degrees of success. I mean, if I like Topographic Drama, what difference does it make that Jon Anderson isn't on it? Or that Steve wasn't at the great ARW show I saw? If the music is good, shouldn't that be enough? But,sometimes I still fret about these things.

Mega Insane Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post
    ... and it really made me realize that there is no Yes nowadays. Just thinking about the current state of affairs depresses me. You have Steve Howe's solo project passed of as Yes, Jon Anderson's solo project passed off as Yes. Bollocks. Watching this concert from 2003 - Anderson Howe Squire Wakeman White - THIS is Yes. This is the Yes that I loved for so many years. This is the Yes that changed my life. This is the Yes that continues to move me. All else is just political bollocks. The saddest thing is that the current narrative has distanced from listening to Yes per se. It's tainted by the crap going on now. It's reflected on this very site. We wouldn't be here if we didn't all have a shared passion for the energy behind true Yes music. It's sad that it's got to this point. I've had a few so it probably taints my particular expression at the moment but ---- it, c'est la vie. I love you all. As you were
    With you there. I was listening to Keys to Ascension last week, live and studio, and felt the same.

meh I love the current yes and get the same magical feeling I always get from yes music.... perhaps I am just more accepting of change
    Chris Squire RIP 1948-2015 thank you for every album every song every moment... the world will truly never be the same again.
    Yes is Steve Howe Geoff Downes Jon Davison Billy Sherwood Alan White Jay Schellen and Tony Kaye and they have my support.
    GTT

New music from both YES's please sherwoodfish1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rabin105 View Post
    meh I love the current yes and get the same magical feeling I always get from yes music.... perhaps I am just more accepting of change
    Which one ?

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodfish1 View Post
    Which one ?
    http://yesworld.com

I only see one Yes here
    Chris Squire RIP 1948-2015 thank you for every album every song every moment... the world will truly never be the same again.
    Yes is Steve Howe Geoff Downes Jon Davison Billy Sherwood Alan White Jay Schellen and Tony Kaye and they have my support.
    GTT

New music from both YES's please sherwoodfish1's Avatar

http://yesworld.com

I only see one Yes here
    Just checking Danny

So do I

And the Spiders from Mars Frumious B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post
    I can’t say I disagree. If you want the actual, undisputed real deal then only a recording from 1968-2004 is going to deliver it.
    “Love is bigger than anything in its way.”-U2

And the Spiders from Mars Frumious B's Avatar

And Montreux is one of my more often enjoyed official releases from the 2002-2004 classic lineup reunion period.
    “Love is bigger than anything in its way.”-U2

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I can’t say I disagree. If you want the actual, undisputed real deal then only a recording from 1968-2004 is going to deliver it.
    I agree as well. If you want something now, it has to have Jon Anderson on it. I mean to be any good as Yes.

While I agree Montreux is a fantastic performance I feel it needs to be put in perspective as well. I thought the performances of the classic lineup were very uneven in the 2003/2004 years. When they were 'on', they were truly on, but for instance the 2003 show I saw in Rotterdam is by far the worst Yes show I ever saw myself. Not because the playing was that bad, but because it was completely absolved from any inspiration to the point of complete boredom. They were going through the motions because they had to, nothing more. 2004 in the UK they were fantastic, but lots of comments I read about the 2nd US leg that Rick looked bored etc. and some of the first US leg bootlegs aren't all that from a playing point of view either.

What I'm scared of is that had the classic lineup gone on, it would have only deteriorated more from there onwards. I know not everyone will agree but at least with both YesO as well as YesF I see inspired performances of musicians who truly enjoy being on stage (with each other) and eager to play to the best of their abilities, anything but just going through the motions. Which is why I don't long as much for (more recent) past times as some here do (which is fine as well by the way, to each his/her own).
    Jon Anderson (2018 interview): "We live for one thing alone and that is to find the divine energy within you, that is connected to the divine energy that surrounds us"

˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ʎlɹɐǝlɔ sɐɥ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos relayerone's Avatar

Nah, it's more likely you're too young to have seen them at their musical peak, because if you had you'd have a little context to apply to any then/now comparisons. What unfortunately passes for Yes in 2018 is light years away from what they once were. It's not entirely due to age either, it's more some of the current lineup aren't musically or vocally in the same league as the musicians they strive to copy.
    Possessio is nine-tenths of the word.

Music:♩♪♫♬ Volume: ▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 110 %

˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ʎlɹɐǝlɔ sɐɥ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos relayerone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    I agree as well. If you want something now, it has to have Jon Anderson on it. I mean to be any good as Yes.
    I honestly don't think it *has* to be Anderson, I very much wish Roger Hodgson had accepted the invitation to join the band, I would have liked to have heard Annie Haslam with the band also.
    No, for me, it doesn't have to be Anderson (although obviously he'd be my #1 choice, lol), but it does have to be someone other than Davison, whose voice I find to be incredibly lightweight.
    Possessio is nine-tenths of the word.

Music:♩♪♫♬ Volume: ▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 110 %

Super Insane Yesfan yesmike0215's Avatar

I’ve always had mixed feelings when watching Live at Montreux. Sure, the music and the performances are fine, but there’s just a lot of visible animosity and tension on stage. Steve and Rick both look like they don’t even want to be there, and that really takes away from the whole vibe of the show. O course Jon and Chris had a falling out around this time. It’s sad that this release appears to have captured those strained relationships, which is not something I want in a Yes release. It makes it more of a historical artifact than it is a “true Yes release”. I think back to this time as sad that they couldn’t just get together and get along to create something magical. There’s nothing magical IMO about LAM.
    yesmike0215

Mega Insane Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by yesmike0215 View Post
    I’ve always had mixed feelings when watching Live at Montreux. Sure, the music and the performances are fine, but there’s just a lot of visible animosity and tension on stage. Steve and Rick both look like they don’t even want to be there, and that really takes away from the whole vibe of the show. O course Jon and Chris had a falling out around this time. It’s sad that this release appears to have captured those strained relationships, which is not something I want in a Yes release. It makes it more of a historical artifact than it is a “true Yes release”. I think back to this time as sad that they couldn’t just get together and get along to create something magical. There’s nothing magical IMO about LAM.
    I believe the band looked upon the performance at Montreux as being a particularly satisfying one, and I would concur. I don't see any 'visible animosity on stage', just a band focused on the job in hand. I prefer it to either the Birmingham (Director's Cut) or Glastonbury shows, although I was at the Birmingham show. I don't like the breaking away on that for interviews and backstage nonsense. That stuff bores me. I just want the music.

Super Insane Yesfan yesmike0215's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don the Cap View Post
    I believe the band looked upon the performance at Montreux as being a particularly satisfying one, and I would concur. I don't see any 'visible animosity on stage', just a band focused on the job in hand. I prefer it to either the Birmingham (Director's Cut) or Glastonbury shows, although I was at the Birmingham show. I don't like the breaking away on that for interviews and backstage nonsense. That stuff bores me. I just want the music.
    Steve’s facial expression (or lack thereof), especially when Jon walks up to him. Rick’s tired and bored look. Squire and Anderson never look at each other once. It feels like everyone is just “playing their part” and not really “gelling together” as one unit. That’s just my opinion and view anyway when I watch the performance.

On the flipside, the performances themselves are nothing short of, terrific.
    Last edited by yesmike0215; 01-08-2018 at 09:35 AM.
    yesmike0215

Mega Insane Yesfan

Steve’s facial expression (or lack thereof), especially when Jon walks up to him. Rick’s tired and bored look. Squire and Anderson never look at each other once. It feels like everyone is just “playing their part” and not really “gelling together” as one unit. That’s just my opinion and view anyway when I watch the performance.

On the flipside, the performances themselves are nothing short of, terrifix
    That's really all I'm bothered about. Personality clashes and band politics are beyond my comprehension and interest. The Live CD version is one I listen to fairly often on my way to and from work.

Super Mega Yesfan popeyebonaparte's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Davey1727 View Post
    I think we're all in the same boat, really. We all have our own notion of what Yes is and what the music means to us. Somehow if Yes were to get back together for one last tour, some universal wrong would be righted, and we could briefly recapture that magical time when we first got into the music.
    For me, it's over. Chris is dead and Alan can hardly play. Steve and Jon hate one another and Rick is along for the ride as usual. The RnRHOF was my pipe dream for years, the perfect reunion. It was a sad masquerade in my opinion. Two halves of two bands thrown together on one stage. Yes is about positive energy for me and there was about as much positive energy on that stage between Steve and Jon as there would between Hitler and Gandhi.
    Peace, love, long live rock n roll

I'm always surprised that those early 2000's shows seem to get rated at all highly

Having seen and listened to countless recordings it really wasn't the same since 76

That said, I have heard and seen a lot shows since then and I always find things to like, but to compare this to something like QPR just doesn't fly from here personally

And QPR really isn't a even particularly strong performance

Rick’s tired and bored look
    I was front row directly in front of him at Jones Beach for one of that eras shows

His puss was painful to look at!

E
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast