Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sir Richard Starkey

Here today...

Sir Richard Starkey

I see it has been announced that Ringo will receive a knighthood, along with Barry Gibb.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-3...s-list/9293960

Comments? I'm mildly surprised that he has not got one already

SR Super Yesfan

Re: Sir Richard Starkey

Would be great to have a Knights "allstar" show and recording. Sir Richard, Sir Elton, Sir Paul, Sir Rod, Sir Ray, Sir Eric, Sir Barry and Sir Bob.

Name of live album.

Good Knight.

"Good Night" is a song by the Beatles, composed by John Lennon, but credited to Lennon-McCartney. It is sung by Ringo Starr, the only Beatle to appear on the track. The music was provided by an orchestra arranged and conducted by George Martin.

I like that last bit. To me it's like saying the sky is blue or some other obvious factoid. Reads like one of those lines from Airplane! -

"something's the matter with the pilot"
    "what's that?"
    "it's what they call someone who flies an airplane, but that's not important right now."

Here today...

Quote Originally Posted by EtherReal View Post
    Would be great to have a Knights "allstar" show and recording. Sir Richard, Sir Elton, Sir Paul, Sir Rod, Sir Ray, Sir Eric, Sir Barry and Sir Bob.

Name of live album.

Good Knight.
    For an encore, they could come out all dressed in white, and perform the Moody Blues' classic "Knights in White Satin."

Mega Insane Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    For an encore, they could come out all dressed in white, and perform the Moody Blues' classic "Knights in White Satin."
    Back-lit, so it's see-through....

Yes, there is a Santa Claus! YesNY's Avatar

Knighthood. Isn't that sort of like the British version of America's Hollywood Walk of Fame?

Well, Ringo has stars on the walk, both as a Beatle and as a solo artist. Therefore the big question is if the US and UK ever were go to war, for which country does he carry his sword. I mean these honors do come with responsibilities, right?

Here are the Beatles' stars, right outside the Capitol Records building interestingly:

Last edited by YesNY; 12-30-2017 at 12:37 PM.

Super Mega Yesfan Closetotheedge1972's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EtherReal View Post

Name of live album.

Good Knight.

"Good Night" is a song by the Beatles, composed by John Lennon, but credited to Lennon-McCartney. It is sung by Ringo Starr, the only Beatle to appear on the track. The music was provided by an orchestra arranged and conducted by George Martin.
    This is one of my favorite posts ever on Yesfans. Very clever. My girlfriend and I sing Good Night to each other all the time when we notice one of us is getting a little sleepy!

Here today...

Quote Originally Posted by YesNY View Post
    Knighthood. Isn't that sort of like the British version of America's Hollywood Walk of Fame?

Well, Ringo has stars on the walk, both as a Beatle and as a solo artist. Therefore the big question is if the US and UK ever were go to war, for which country does he carry his sword. I mean these honors do come with responsibilities, right?
    Well anyone can get a Hollywood Walk of fame star or be indicted into the R&RHOF. Well, when I say "anyone", I don't mean I could get in by asking, I mean they can confer the honor (sic) on anyone they please. Knighthoods are conferred by the monarch, so that particular honour (with a 'u') can only go to Her Majesty's loyal subjects, i.e. to citizens of the UK and possibly certain other British Commonwealth countries, though not for Australia, we abolished them some time ago. Last I heard the USA was not part of the British Commonwealth.

So to answer your question, Ringo, if push came to shove, would fight on the side of the Brits.

Mega Insane Yesfan

The honours system sucks!

Well anyone can get a Hollywood Walk of fame star or be indicted into the R&RHOF. Well, when I say "anyone", I don't mean I could get in by asking, I mean they can confer the honor (sic) on anyone they please. Knighthoods are conferred by the monarch, so that particular honour (with a 'u') can only go to Her Majesty's loyal subjects, i.e. to citizens of the UK and possibly certain other British Commonwealth countries, though not for Australia, we abolished them some time ago. Last I heard the USA was not part of the British Commonwealth.

So to answer your question, Ringo, if push came to shove, would fight on the side of the Brits.
    It is "honor"! Why express something in six letters when five will do fine?

And don't get me started on the metric system! Here in the US we use the British Imperial System for units of measurement, even though the British themselves don't use it. It is very practical because words like "miles" are shorter than "kilometers". The big "They" (that secretive, bossy, smart-pants cabal hidden in a cave somewhere), who are the ones who really pull the strings on everything, or at least they try, wanted to make Americans convert to the metric system, but we, the people, gave them the big middle finger on their sinister plan. Just like we did to the Brit's some 240 years ago. The trade-off, way back then, was we can't be knighted. Well, boo-hoo! Americans don't bow to a monarch like the Queen. (A big ol' American bear hug will do quite nicely, instead.)

At least, here in the States, we, along with people from any other country, can be indicted into the RRHOF. And from the looks of some members in there now, musical talent is not even necessarily a requirement, although sometimes, by the grace of God, or pure luck, talented musicians manage to slip by the Hall's gatekeepers. Interestingly, many of the most talented bands come from England. But all is forgiven after 240 years, and the UK, and Canada (the Queen is the head of state there, too, I think) are now America's best of friends. So, in that spirit, I wish Ringo - eh, soon to be Sir Richard Starkey - a big congratulations.

I think Ringo would sit out the hypothetical US/UK war, written about earlier. He would just go around doing his peace signs - until someone shoots off one of his fingers, anyway.

In closing, I want to say if the knighthood makes Ringo happy, then I am happy for him. It doesn't really have any real value (no amazon gift cards, or a goodies bag like people get at the Oscars), but the "Sir" part does sound nifty when being introduced to an audience. :)
    Last edited by YesNY; 12-30-2017 at 03:17 PM.

Here today...

^^ We'll never agree on "honour" vs "honor", and I wasn't trying to tell you how to spell the word, but the point of my emphasising the spelling was that a knighthood is a British honour, therefore it would have to be spelled the British way in Ringo's case.

Ummm... but I think you'll find the word is "inducted", not "indicted", which means something quite different, and something far less desirable

And I never mentioned the metric system, you got yourself started on it,

Also - I thought the bear hug was a Russian thing? Oh, those Russians.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 12-30-2017 at 03:31 PM.

Pianist/Pandemoniumist pianozach's Avatar

They could make a decent setlist:

Good Knight
    Goodknight Vienna
    Saturday Knight's Alright For Fighting
    No More Lonely Knights
    Every Knight
    Knights in White Satin

And there's plenty more . . . .
    ---Pianozach---

". . . Be the change you wish to see in the world." —Ghandi

http://www.pianozach.com/ under re-construction
    http://www.macjams.com/artist/bigidea
    and a new MacJams page: http://www.macjams.com/artist/pianozach

Here today...

Sir Rod: "Tonight's the Knight"
    Sir Ray: "All Day and All the Knight"
    Sir Barry: "Knight Fever"
    Sir Elton: "Wonderful Crazy Knight"

OK, I'll stop now.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 12-30-2017 at 03:29 PM.

^^ We'll never agree on "honour" vs "honor", and I wasn't trying to tell you how to spell the word, but the point of my emphasising the spelling was that a knighthood is a British honour, therefore it would have to be spelled the British way in Ringo's case.

Ummm... but I think you'll find the word is "inducted", not "indicted", which means something quite different, and something far less desirable

And I never mentioned the metric system, you got yourself started on it,

Also - I thought the bear hug was a Russian thing? Oh, those Russians.
    I purposely wrote "indicted", knowing the correct word is "inducted". That is why I put it in italic type. Re-read the post I was replying to. My understanding is Australia started out as one big penal colony, so I completely understand your typographical error there.

Okay, drop the bear hug. Instead, we Americans will high five the Queen as a greeting. Here is lesson one for our friends around the world, if they want to follow suit:

Mega Insane Yesfan

I'm British and I'm equally at ease with both metric or imperial units. I'm 58. We spell some word differently too. I despise the institution of monarchy, and I have zero interest in its members. You're in the States, as you say. Please stay there.

Here today...

I avoid the politics section of Yesfans like the plague. This thread has reminded me of why I do so.

I just want to have a bit of fun chatting about music and musicians, I don't want fights over who spells words correctly, whose political system is the best, whose system of units is the most logical, etc. Can't that be confined to the politics section? Or has that section been closed again? It's a very long time since I checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Don the Cap View Post
    I'm British and I'm equally at ease with both metric or imperial units. I'm 58. We spell some word differently too. I despise the institution of monarchy, and I have zero interest in its members. You're in the States, as you say. Please stay there.
    It is your lucky day.

When I saw the distance from New York to London is only 3,459 miles, I thought, "hmm, why not?"

Then I saw it is a whopping 5,585 kilometers, and I said no freaking way! I think the moon is closer.

I avoid the politics section of Yesfans like the plague. This thread has reminded me of why I do so.

I just want to have a bit of fun chatting about music and musicians, I don't want fights over who spells words correctly, whose political system is the best, whose system of units is the most logical, etc. Can't that be confined to the politics section? Or has that section been closed again? It's a very long time since I checked.
    We are chatting about a musician: Ringo Starr. I just wanted to know what country he would fight for. But you are right. I should have started a thread for that topic on the Politics board. My mistake, and so I have rightfully been inducted...I mean indicted.

Ringo sings this song, or I will take a pass:

Mega Insane Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by YesNY View Post
    It is your lucky day.

When I saw the distance from New York to London is only 3,459 miles, I thought, "hmm, why not?"

Then I saw it is a whopping 5,585 kilometers, and I said no freaking way! I think the moon is closer.
    385,000 km, or 240,000 miles.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast