Google

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: New YES album in MARCH !!!

Please refill the can. Discount Ministry's Avatar

Re: New YES album in MARCH !!!

Old Greatest Hits package trick...how you got Christmas album sales in the olde daze.

You are NEVER alone...BACON is your friend!

Yes-East-West-Fan

Quote Originally Posted by relayerone View Post
    Since the Yin & Yang are essentially opposites, I heartily agree. Horn is the Yang to Anderson's Yin. Anderson is a great vocalist. Horn is...well... *Yang*
    No, no... it's not like that... not so easy... both are opposites but also heavily related... Yin is silent, dark, passive, soft... and Yang is hot, hard, male, active, moving... Both belong together like light and shadow... to the Yes-Canon... Horn had to appear one day... it is just unnatural that he did not sing more often
    Last edited by PeterCologne; 4 Days Ago at 06:51 PM.

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by downbyariver View Post
    TNow they want to erase him from his only studio album with the band?
    You realize they can't actually do that, right? That the extremely limited (apparently) distribution of this does nothing to negate the original release of FFH?
    "(Their current bassist looks like he's a Dungeon Master into ham radio & I love it)"
    - carrotfleur

http://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

Yes-East-West-Fan

I'd see this a Supplement, an addition to Fly From Here, like an alternative Version. The Album FFH will continue to be the official one. Everything else would be really strange.

Actually the aburd Thing is, that especially the David-vocals on original FFH are really fine, the instrumental music just needs some edge and depths IMHO. But anyway, I would Trevor Horn rather have on other Yes-pimped DRAMA II stuff like Vermilion Sands or on real new Music.

SR Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Wolf View Post
    Phooey. I'd much rather an album of new music rather than this rehashing of old stuff.
    I don't think this is an either/or situation: that is, this is something Horn led on. It doesn't appear to have taken up much of the band's time: their progress towards an actual new album is unaffected.

Downes at least has said a new album is planned for 2018, so that will be Fly from Here revisited and a full new album.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the Yes news blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Please refill the can. Discount Ministry's Avatar

Who will produce it? Horn? Howe?

Another outside producer would probably be a mess. Yes/experienced members of Yes needs to produce Yes.

You are NEVER alone...BACON is your friend!

SR Mega Yesfan

I find it profoundly weird that they are doing this- in the very same decade the original was released, no less. Was kicking Benoit David out of the band not enough of a kick in the nuts? Now they want to erase him from his only studio album with the band?

[...]

If the one new song they claim is there is really a new and available for download for $1.29, I'll buy the one song. But otherwise, total pass.

[...]

Probably has a ceiling of 10,000 sales at most.
    The idea that this is an insult to David is silly. Jon Kirkman, who broke the news first, said David is fine with this. The original version of Fly from Here is not being replaced, it's not disappearing. As you yourself say, this is a more limited thing, a niche 'bonus' release. It no more replaces the original Fly from Here than the 2 alternate versions of Union tracks on Steve Howe's Anthology 2 replace the original Union, or Jon Anderson doing a version of "Hearts" on Change We Must replaces the original on 90125.

Acts re-visit songs all the time. There's no need for you or anyone else to rush to David's defence.

As for the new song... I don't know, but I would guess it's something unreleased from the Fly from Here sessions. It might be something more newly recorded, but it would probably then still have some Drama/Buggles/Trevor Horn connection. I doubt it's a new Howe/White/Downes/Sherwood/Davison song.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the Yes news blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Pass.

I already have the original version of this album. It was good the first time with Benoit David. I'll just keep listening to that.

Really, they should have just used Horn on the original album
    or had a few bonus tracks to that 2011 release featuring some duplicates of some of the main songs by whichever lead guy wasn't doing them on the album.
    Funny I had the same thought all the way thru this thread.. When Horn tossed Wakeman to the curb why didn't he throw Benoit as well if he wanted to sing? Or at very least sing the FFH suite then let Benoit sing the rest.. This is obviously a Trevor ego trip.. say what you want about it not offending Benoit.. And my hunch on the bonus track has something to do with Steve saying some time ago that he was working with Trevor on something..

Quote Originally Posted by Enlighten View Post
    An easy way to get a “new” album out for the 50th but this really feels lame to me too. And to throw an unreleased track on there as a bone to entice diehards......really???
    Diehards need no enticing!

We're getting this AND a new CD

E
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ʎlɹɐǝlɔ sɐɥ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos relayerone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PeterCologne View Post
    No, no... it's not like that... not so easy... both are opposites but also heavily related... Yin is silent, dark, passive, soft... and Yang is hot, hard, male, active, moving... Both belong together like light and shadow... to the Yes-Canon... Horn had to appear one day... it is just unnatural that he did not sing more often
    No Peter, it's wonderful. He sounded OK on Drama but the reality was Trevor Horn had great difficulty singing *in tune* in a live situation. When it comes to that, Ozzy is the one and only person that gets a hall pass with me.
    There's no way that *everybody* was kung-fu fighting.
    Music:♩♪♫♬ Volume: ▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 110 %

Quote Originally Posted by josuev80 View Post
    What's next? Time And A Word re-released with Howe replacing Banks.
    Don't give them any ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris2210 View Post
    David is a better singer than Horn
    I at least vaguely remember Horn actually saying that- that he thought David was a much better singer than he (Horn) is and preferred him on the material. Maybe that was just confidence building or hype for the new (at the time) album, but I think he did say it.

I'm actually not sure I agree that David was better- Horn's voice is certainly iconic for his work with the Buggles, and, to the right group of mega-fans, Yes. However, David is the one who sang lead on this album, and he sounded good on the album, and I am satisfied with that. It's weird to go back and sort of replace him. It'd actually make much more sense to sing parts of the album live with Horn as a guest star, using Davison for the rest of the concert and doing select vocal parts where needed if Horn needs backing or can't hit high notes on certain things live, and just release a live album that has some of these songs. That'd be a much easier to swallow way of doing this. I'd even be excited about it, probably.

It doesn't even sound like they are getting the band in the studio to record fresh backing tracks. It's going to be 2011 Yes, including Chris Squire from beyond the grave, with just Trevor Horn edited in over top their backing tracks, and possibly with some different backing tracks from the same sessions used in some cases. None of this, except maybe the bonus song, will even be stuff where the other members of the band thought they were recording their parts to go with Trevor Horn's singing.

Quote Originally Posted by Enlighten View Post
    And to throw an unreleased track on there as a bone to entice diehards......really???
    Yeah. I really hope this doesn't turn into a situation where the one new song an "album only" track. I would definitely consider buying the one song as a single song download if it's something I haven't heard before, but I always hated the old ploy of "Buy this whole greatest hits CD of songs you already have again to get a couple new songs you don't" and other stuff like that used to be par for the course in the music industry. Usually in the era of paid digital downloads, that trick isn't really a trick anymore, and one can just buy the new track or tracks alone (For example, I was able to buy the first of the three new Toto songs from their upcoming mostly-greatest hits CD as just a single track), and I'd do that here if it's possible, but I've occasionally seen it where the "buy" button is grayed out and they say you need to buy the album to get it- which I obviously wouldn't do and would be at least mildly miffed about.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    The idea that this is an insult to David is silly. Jon Kirkman, who broke the news first, said David is fine with this.
    What else was he going to say? David was always very generous about that sort of thing in the press. He didn't want to make waves or cause problems, and probably still doesn't. He's a good guy. That doesn't mean that he isn't privately disappointed, though.

The original version of Fly from Here is not being replaced, it's not disappearing.
    Obviously, those of us who already have the original MP3s, CD, or vinyl will be able to keep them. No one is deleting them from our devices or stealing our existing physical copies.

However, Fly From Here is actually not available to purchase as a digital download on Amazon US anymore. It also appears to be out of print on CD, with the lowest price being $48 on Amazon. I don't know if the same is the case across all the paid download sites and CD outlets, and it doesn't really effect me, because I bought it when it came out and don't need to buy it again. There is the very real possibility that the Horn version of Fly From Here will be the *only* one available on streaming service and to purchase new going forward, though.

If you get your music through a streaming subscription like Spotify or whatever, the Horn version may be the only version you can get. If you want to buy a new digital download, ditto. If you want to buy a physical CD new through normal channels (Versus buying an unopened one someone stashed away and is selling third-party), that may also be the case.

Of course, it's not definite. Maybe they'll do a re-release of the original Fly From Here alongside this or in the future. I just don't feel confident right now that they aren't going to have this new version be the definitive version that is all that is available to stream or reprinted in the future, given that the original isn't available even as a digital download right now.
    Last edited by downbyariver; 4 Days Ago at 02:45 AM.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

Quote Originally Posted by PeterCologne View Post
    I'd see this a Supplement, an addition to Fly From Here, like an alternative Version. The Album FFH will continue to be the official one. Everything else would be really strange.
    It's only the title of the thread that claims it's being released as a Yes album. Maybe they should release it as a Yes feat. album ie Yes featuring....Trevor Horn
    -----
    paul
    -----

And the Spiders from Mars Frumious B's Avatar

It sounds like the sale of this product might be limited to event attendees so the question of whether or not most of us are buying it may be moot. I’m in favor of Trevor Horn singing his own songs and have no particular attachment to Benoit David so I’m really interested to hear this.
    “Love is bigger than anything in its way.”-U2

dreamland connecticut. to the left of the garden of geda

Does this mean a limited Dean cover.. how is this being sold....

CD...

LP....

8 track... (oh yeah!)

still undefined

Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by jskawaken View Post
    As part of the YES50 celebration in London

"The official launch and world-wide exclusive availability of the Drama line-up version of Fly From Here, new lead vocals throughout by Trevor Horn, and remix by Trevor, including an unreleased track. (limited numbers available for purchase)"
    No interest in hearing Trevor Horn sing. If they had asked Anderson - different story (LOL)

London (and sometimes Dharamasala, India)

Quote Originally Posted by crotale2112 View Post
    love you guys too... yup... prepping to play Yesshows version of Gates...

great tune for a bone ride....
    I remember a day in the early 80s listening to that version of Gates and enjoying the pleasures of Lady Sensimilla, which was a pretty rare treat then. GoD and weed do indeed go very well together.
    26/10/77 (Wembley); 26/10/78 (Wembley); 14/12/80 and 16/12/80 (Hammersmith); 11/7/84 and 12/7/84 (Wembley); 8/12/87 (Montreal); 23/8/89 (ABWH - Ottawa); ... The Wilderness Years ...; 16/6/04 (Wembley); 17/11/09 (Hammersmith); 17/11/11 (Hammersmith); 26/3/13, 27/3/13 and 29/3/13 (Cruise to the Edge); 8/4/14 and 9/4/14 (Cruise to the Edge); 8/5/14 (Royal Albert Hall); 15/11/15 and 16/11/15 (Cruise to the Edge); 10/5/16 (Royal Albert Hall); 19/3/17 (ARW - Hammersmith)

I think I finally have found the reason why Yes has managed to stick around for 50 years; they always give their fans something to complain about!
    ReAwaken (after the Bethlehem Sands concert 2016):
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    How can world wide availability be exclusive?....................
    The way I read this (from the recently published schedule for the #YES50 convention), it's one of the special items for those attending the #YES50 convention, with any surplus being made available via the merch stand at the London show, the info says "in very limited quantities". There's not as yet any info as to whether or not it will have a wider release at a later date. One would hope so for the sake of those who can't get to London, but it's not made clear, and the Yes 50th Events FB page does say in response to a comment by John Kuehne "A real world exclusive on the day only"

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

One more time, now read carefully, like I said, like Henry said: this is not INSTEAD of a new studio album!

Practical question: is it all the songs? Horn singing TMYAWMTB would be strange, but maybe interesting...
    I’m also wondering about the cover art.

YES and YES , two YES's from me

Quote Originally Posted by 1yesfan View Post
    pass
    YES , I feel like you as well
    FFH is better left alone , FAB album

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast