Google

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: New YES album in MARCH !!!

Re: New YES album in MARCH !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    Well, there's still.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tapx0WlouJM

..not my favourite way, as I rather pay the artist, but it still means it's far from being 'wiped out'.
    I don't really take pleasure in sourcing my music from Youtube either. As you say, it's not fair to the artist, but it's also not a medium that I find particularly useful to listen to music. Not when I have high quality originals in my collection.
    -Pete

Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Yesongs View Post
    You misunderstood or misinterpreted

E
    Or maybe misunderinterpreted.

Quote Originally Posted by rePete View Post
    I don't really take pleasure in sourcing my music from Youtube either. As you say, it's not fair to the artist, but it's also not a medium that I find particularly useful to listen to music. Not when I have high quality originals in my collection.
    True. But I was merely making the point that the original version and some of its contrbutors were about to be 'wiped out' from history is a very groce overstatement.
    ReAwaken (after the Bethlehem Sands concert 2016):
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    True. But I was merely making the point that the original version and some of its contrbutors were about to be 'wiped out' from history is a very groce overstatement.
    Gotcha. I wasn't commenting on that - I really don't have a clue how it's all going to unfold. I was just surprised I couldn't get it on spotify. I'd never looked before.
    -Pete

Please refill the can. Discount Ministry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    How can world wide availability be exclusive?
    Not available for download on Mars. There is an angry little man with a dog there who is plotting vengeance right now.

You are NEVER alone...BACON is your friend!

I agree. But it can have a positive side, though. I've found YouTube quite useful for skimming through songs to see whether I like a track enough to buy it. Those purchases wouldn't have happened if I hadn't been to YouTube first! But I don't think I've ever used YouTube just to listen to something. (I tend to put a CD on for that or, if I'm out, my MP3 player that will include some of the abovementioned downloads.)

Please refill the can. Discount Ministry's Avatar

I still find stuff I never heard of that's worth a bean, even if their search seems hell bent on feeding me 80% of what I've already seen sometimes.

Well, SURE, I like that one, Google, but I've watched it for 7 years now and it's in one of my playlists.

You are NEVER alone...BACON is your friend!

˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ʎlɹɐǝlɔ sɐɥ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos relayerone's Avatar

I don't watch TV & never really have, don't have cable, don't need cable, but I spend quite a lot of time on YouTube, the ads though are starting to become irritating. Some you can opt out of after a few seconds but I'm seeing more & more where you have to sit through the whole ad. A few have been a full minute. Kinda see where things are headed, so may shell out for YouTube Red because one of the main reasons I don't watch TV is I hate ads.
    There's no way that *everybody* was kung-fu fighting.
    Music:♩♪♫♬ Volume: ▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 110 %

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Let's try this another way... Josuev, what are you three favourite bits of Oliver's playing on Fly from Here that you'd miss so much if they were excised (which there's nothing to suggest they will be)?

Henry
    I can't even point them out, but my personal opinion is that to excise (most or all) of the work that two musicians contributed to the original album is unjust even if the new version is just an alternate version and the original still stands. I am not even a big fan of the album, but it is the principle of the band's actions possibly to appease or reward Horn in some way that I find wrong.

Interesting read on the situation: http://www.legendaryrockinterviews.c...classic-songs/
    Last edited by josuev80; 9 Hours Ago at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Susanne View Post
    I agree. But it can have a positive side, though. I've found YouTube quite useful for skimming through songs to see whether I like a track enough to buy it. Those purchases wouldn't have happened if I hadn't been to YouTube first! But I don't think I've ever used YouTube just to listen to something. (I tend to put a CD on for that or, if I'm out, my MP3 player that will include some of the abovementioned downloads.)
    That's a fair point - although that might be a double edged sword. As much as people might use YT to purchase new music (as you do), it might also have the effect of people NOT buying new music - browsing tunes for free and then deciding not to purchase because they have access online etc. I don't know if that's really how it works, but I wonder if I could be.
    -Pete

Yes-East-West-Fan

I am regulary on youtube, thou not to listen to complete studioalbums, which I rather buy. Sometimes I check some new bands studioalbum to get an impression for some minutes.

Mostly I look for concerts, live-impressions... Well, one of my favourite music since two years are Dead & Company... without youtube I never would have known how great they are - the most creative Greatful-Dead-successors so far. They don't have studiostuff and no official livealbum. I watched some complete Shows on YouTube - but as a result I also bought four of their complete Shows - all of them three cd-sets- from their Homepage in the two recent years. So they got around 120 $ from me through YouTube. And a fifth one might follow now. To a lesser extend that happens with a lot of artists and me and youtube... It is an almost indipensable way to learn about new Music... and sometimes, well relatively often, both sides profit...

By the way, I would pay a reasonably monthly rate for YouTube... if I knew most of the Money would flow to the artists, maybe counted with the klick-numbers...
    Last edited by PeterCologne; 9 Hours Ago at 06:36 PM.

SR Mega Yesfan

That's a fair point - although that might be a double edged sword. As much as people might use YT to purchase new music (as you do), it might also have the effect of people NOT buying new music - browsing tunes for free and then deciding not to purchase because they have access online etc. I don't know if that's really how it works, but I wonder if I could be.
    Music sales are massively down on years past. That's definitely how it works for most people.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the Yes news blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Oh look, this half of a hair is different from that half of a hair I've just split it from.

Henry
    There are countless times an artist in a band re-records songs for a solo or side project. Re-recording whole "band" albums occurs far less frequently especially when said album is released with the same band's name and title.

SR Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by josuev80 View Post
    I can't even point them out, but my personal opinion is that to excise (most or all) of the work that two musicians contributed to the original album is unjust even if the new version is just an alternate version and the original still stands. I am not even a big fan of the album, but it is the principle of the band's actions possibly to appease or reward Horn in some way that I find wrong.
    LOL! You pretend to care about how Oliver is being wronged and you can't even pick him out on the original album. You wouldn't even know if he was replaced! Kinda looks like this is entirely confected outrage. So why are you so keen to paint the band in a bad light, this band which you are such a fan of?

Anyway, again, Oliver's work on the album is not being touched. So why do you keep saying that?

Oh, and if it is such a sin to excise someone's work, what do you think about Anderson excising Howe's parts on ABWH and Howe's and Wakeman's parts on Union. A great injustice?

Nothing suggests that applies in this case. With the instrumental tracks unchanged, there'd be no change in the rights situation.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the Yes news blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

Revisionism or not, I’m happy that Yes is catering to my fan’s wishes.
    And if the band’s reading this, I’m fine with sending you a list with suggestions for further projects...

Yes-East-West-Fan

With the instrumental tracks unchanged, there'd be no change in the rights situation.

Henry
    Well, will the instrumental tracks really stay unchanged? What about the announced remix? Well, one can remix without using other instriments apart from the once recorded.

I am not really wild about a new Fly From here (rather about new old stuff out of Drama II or entirely new Horn-Music for Yes). But I welcome FFH reloaded, if it offers some new apects. Just Trevors voice instead of Benoits would not be enough. As said, the vocals were the least problem at least for me and anyway were directed by Horn to sound like his own. Anyway Benoit David did a fine Job singing here and on Life On A Filmset, well on the whole album.

Didn't this guy Kirkman or somone say, FFH would now sound like a real follow up to Drama? So there must have been happened something with the music, as well...

But hey, I anyway, will buy it
    Last edited by PeterCologne; 8 Hours Ago at 06:53 PM.

No-one's appeasing Horn. He instigated the thing (back in 2016). Kirkman leaked news of it in "Dialogue". It's unclear whether Yes had *anything* to do with it.... other than Management (?) telling off Kirkman for leaking the news (even though he hadn't been told not to)
    -----
    paul
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by PeterCologne View Post
    Didn't this guy Kirkman or somone say, FFH would now sound like a real follow up to Drama? So there must have been happened something with the music, as well...
    From memory, I think Jon Kirkman was more talking about it being a followup by the Drama lineup. He also said it sounded good.
    -----
    paul
    -----

Super Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    That may explain why it could have been pulled from digital distribution at this time, because they'll be licensing a new reissue sometime next year.
    I know Asia reissued the first reunion album (Phoenix) either last year or the year before, and like FFH that was on Frontiers. I could see Yes doing the same with FFH, with the addition of the Trevor Horn version plus the aforementioned previously unreleased track.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13