Google

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New album next year according to Henry

New album next year according to Henry

From henry’s Site

There will be touring, with Kaye guesting with the band, consisting of another Cruise, a European tour leg and then a US leg. There will also be a fan convention during UK dates. A new studio album is also planned,”

Thoughts?

I would be shocked if we get one but who know
    Chris Squire RIP 1948-2015 thank you for every album every song every moment... the world will truly never be the same again.
    Yes is Steve Howe Geoff Downes Jon Davison Billy Sherwood an Alan White Dylan Howe and they have my support.
    GTT

Re: New album next year according to Henry

Henry doesn't say a new album is coming out next year. Is planned ≠ definitely happening.

I'd love to see the band go back into the studio. New music is the lifeblood of a rock and roll band, and I think this lineup of Yes is on a roll live and that that could translate into a really good studio album. They've got a lot of people who love to write music.

I know some people thought Heaven and Earth wasn't that great, but the lineup has changed since then, the live performances have improved, and maybe just as importantly, lessons can be learned and they can go into the studio with a different producer and a different approach, etc.. I think Jon Davison in particular is still learning how to write good music at this level, and had apparently pushed for more prog and some callbacks to old Yes and been told not to do it on his only Yes studio album to date- so maybe he learns what works and what doesn't in general, and people let him do it the way he wants as they gain confidence in him (A little more prog and a callback or two to classic Yes might have made people rate the last album higher), and it gets better. Billy Sherwood could practically write, perform, and produce an entire Yes album by himself- and I think has strengths as a writer and a performer that blend well with what Juano does and where both might be able to sort of cover up any weak spots the other has collaboratively. Geoff Downes has a home studio of sorts (He showed it off on Twitter) and was been doing DBA the last few years and Asia before. Steve Howe is a legend who is always doing solo guitar albums and whatnot. Alan White doesn't write much, but he's written or co-written some really good Yes songs on occasion.

And the thing is, if you go back to the beginning of Yes, putting things out frequently is how the band came together as a group and got better. Like, there was a big improvement between Yes and Time and a Word, and an even bigger improvement between Time and a Word and The Yes Album. Some would say that improvement just kept going with Fragile and Close to the Edge, and beyond, and others would say The Yes Album is their favorite 70s Yes album, but, either way, we can see frequent albums got some young guys experience and got them working together and evolved their sound. When albums are really infrequent, it's harder for the less experienced guys to develop, and for the band in general to form chemistry.

I also think they probably will take the lesson from Heaven and Earth that maybe they should rock a little bit more. I don't expect heavy metal Yes, but I think it might be a bit more like Drama than the last one in terms of how hard it rocks.

Anyway, I think the thing is just to keep getting back on the horse. You do an album every couple years, and there may be some songs or even albums that don't completely work, but practice makes perfect and builds the chemistry. The veterans don't need the practice, but they can impart wisdom to the other guys and learn how to write and perform *with* them and get in a groove. I think Topographic Drama shows that they are coming together and improving as a unit.

I know there isn't tremendous money in albums these days, but if that's an issue and they are afraid of losing money, doing it in Billy's studio and letting him produce are always options. He knows how Yes music is supposed to sound and does the production end of almost all of his own non-Yes projects and some other stuff for other bands where he serves only in a production capacity at his studio. Or, if money is no object, they can go get Trevor Horn or someone else not named Roy Thomas Baker. :)

I feel like time is ticking on how long the older guys are going to keep making music, and I'd really like to see it be more Yes music versus the instrumental guitar stuff or DBA or whatever. I also feel like the younger guys, who really aren't that young, would ideally get a nice run of Yes albums- hopefully to prepare for them to take over the band when the older guys retire, but if that's not possible, to at least get them a string of Yes albums together before then. :)
    Last edited by downbyariver; 1 Week Ago at 08:46 PM.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

Personally I would be fairly ambivalent about it because I'm not sure about some of the musical ingredients that are likely to go into it. It wasn't H&E that I found unappealing, but the one before. And while I admire Billy's bass playing, I don't warm to a lot of his writing and producing. But that's just me. They could surprise me. I hope they do.
    Universe University

A little competition might just be a good thing for both bands called Yes.

dreamland connecticut. to the left of the garden of geda

What about Moraz? Is he still a wild card in the game....

he is a dynamic, kind, colourful, musically brilliant guy that would add a lot of energy to the live gigs... and I would love to hear him on any future Yes album... and he's good friends with Billy :)

still undefined

Well if it is indeed planned, then that seems to be a bit more solid and firm than anything we've heard in interviews from them so far, so that is positive news in my book.
    ReAwaken (after the Bethlehem Sands concert 2016):
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

SR Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by josuev80 View Post
    Henry doesn't say a new album is coming out next year. Is planned ≠ definitely happening.
    I will go with josuev80's defense here! Thanks, josuev.

I believe the band are moving towards a new album: when it might appear, if it will actually appear, I don't know. So, I can defend "planned". Downes said fairly recently, "We are hoping to get something out at some point next year", so that would be 2018, but I won't be surprised if that timeline slips. I'll look at re-phrasing that section to make it clearer.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the Yes news blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

sigh I was hoping for more discussion on this as the 3 complaints I have heard so far

1. There isn't enough Material: Look I have made 6 fan made albums based ONLY on demos and unreleased songs (8 if we include some stuff off other solo albums) trust me there is enough Material maybe the only thing I can give is that perhaps Billy Doesn't just want to be essentially an additional musican/finishing up Squire's work but in terms of material there is a TON

2. Heaven & Earth was so bad no one wants to go back: the issue here is you know who felt Magnification was a bad album... Steve Howe and yet by 04 he was ready to do another one so I doubt this is an issue

3. there is no Market: Honestly I don't agree with this either it was just 5 years ago that yes toured the Fly From Here album (2011-2012)

I still don't get why last spring they were in a studio rehearsing the upcoming shows (drama and Fragile) tour and apparently didn't show ANY demos to Horn or work with him on ANY music....

It's why Howe's Comments on Vermillions Sands (and now what Sherwoodfish said about the follow up to drama) brings me to the idea that Maybe a Horn produced yes album titled Vermillion Sands might actually happen as I will say something extremely controversial

if Horn is producing the Album Howe would be in the studio tomorrow.
    Chris Squire RIP 1948-2015 thank you for every album every song every moment... the world will truly never be the same again.
    Yes is Steve Howe Geoff Downes Jon Davison Billy Sherwood an Alan White Dylan Howe and they have my support.
    GTT

SR Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Rabin105 View Post
    sigh I was hoping for more discussion on this as the 3 complaints I have heard so far

1. There isn't enough Material: Look I have made 6 fan made albums based ONLY on demos and unreleased songs (8 if we include some stuff off other solo albums) trust me there is enough Material maybe the only thing I can give is that perhaps Billy Doesn't just want to be essentially an additional musican/finishing up Squire's work but in terms of material there is a TON
    Indeed. The idea that there isn't enough material is nearly always erroneous. Rabin105's list is a tiny tip of an iceberg: most of the band members have tons of ideas knocking around in drawers or computer folders. If you put a gun to their heads, they could record an album in a fortnight.

And new ideas are coming all the time. Downes, Sherwood and Howe are all releasing plenty of material. If they've got enough material coming out of their heads to release Skyscraper Souls, Nexus, Valley of the Windmill etc., of course they could do a Yes album.

The question is whether all those ideas come together as a coherent body of work that everyone is happy to release under the Yes name.

2. Heaven & Earth was so bad no one wants to go back: the issue here is you know who felt Magnification was a bad album... Steve Howe and yet by 04 he was ready to do another one so I doubt this is an issue
    I take it as a good sign that Howe is talking about doing new material, however vaguely. I think Howe is resisting rushing into a new album and wants to do it right, but I think he's up for it.

3. there is no Market: Honestly I don't agree with this either it was just 5 years ago that yes toured the Fly From Here album (2011-2012)
    Recorded music sales have collapsed in recent years. The economics have changed. But a band like Yes with an older fan base that still has that habit of buying physical product is in a better position than many.

Henry

Super Mega Yesfan popeyebonaparte's Avatar

Making an album of demos and rejects from already sub par albums? You're clutching at straws.
    Peace, love, long live rock n roll

Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post
    Making an album of demos and rejects from already sub par albums? You're clutching at straws.
    Yeah because Tales is clutching at Straws (same with every yes album since the first one)
    GTT

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

I guess I was wrong again, thinking it was as good as certain there will be new Yes albums next year...

SR Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Ceasar's Palace View Post
    I guess I was wrong again, thinking it was as good as certain there will be new Yes albums next year...
    I am sure there will be multiple releases next year including previously unreleased material across the two bands. New studio albums, we'll have to see...

Very probable: ARW live DVD; some sort of anniversary Yes release (probably with some previously released material + some previously unreleased)

Likely: ARW new studio album

50/50: Yes new studio album

Some chance: More archival stuff

If I was official Yes's management, I'd've planned for a bumper anniversary year with a release every month (or maybe every other month), with a new studio album, archival releases, and band member related releases. Dominate the release schedule, so all anyone can talk about is Yes for a year.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post

I take it as a good sign that Howe is talking about doing new material, however vaguely. I think Howe is resisting rushing into a new album and wants to do it right, but I think he's up for it.

Henry
    I totally appreciate where Steve is coming from. He only wants to record an album if there is quality material worth recording. Not just spit out an album... Because yea, I'm sure they all have ideas and songs, but Steve wants to only do it if there is something really really good. Good on Steve!

Yeah because Tales is clutching at Straws (same with every yes album since the first one)
    I think there's a big difference between re-recording a previously completed (if not necessarily officially released) song, and taking musical ideas (riffs, etc) that you've come up with in the past and weaving them into something entirely new. Yes has a long (and pretty consistent) history of doing the latter. Not so much with the former.
    -Pete

SR Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by rePete View Post
    I think there's a big difference between re-recording a previously completed (if not necessarily officially released) song, and taking musical ideas (riffs, etc) that you've come up with in the past and weaving them into something entirely new. Yes has a long (and pretty consistent) history of doing the latter. Not so much with the former.
    There's a continuum and they've always done several places on that continuum. "Beyond and Before", "Disillusion", "Parallels", "Into the Lens", "Love will Find a Way", "Let's Pretend" and "Open Your Eyes" were "previously completed" songs. "The Revealing Science of God", "Awaken" and "Somehow..... Someday" re-use substantial elements, more than mere riffs.

I don't think they're going to do anything like one of Rabin105's fan-made albums, but, as I said, it's a tip of a very large iceberg of material they could use.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Indeed. The idea that there isn't enough material is nearly always erroneous. Rabin105's list is a tiny tip of an iceberg: most of the band members have tons of ideas knocking around in drawers or computer folders. If you put a gun to their heads, they could record an album in a fortnight.

And new ideas are coming all the time. Downes, Sherwood and Howe are all releasing plenty of material. If they've got enough material coming out of their heads to release Skyscraper Souls, Nexus, Valley of the Windmill etc., of course they could do a Yes album.

The question is whether all those ideas come together as a coherent body of work that everyone is happy to release under the Yes name.

Recorded music sales have collapsed in recent years. The economics have changed. But a band like Yes with an older fan base that still has that habit of buying physical product is in a better position than many.

Henry
    You are right again. There are likely hundreds of demos floating around by various current and former members but it makes little sense to run them through a meat grinder with the hopes of a decent, coherent album coming out of it just to appease people desperate for "new' material no matter what the quality is. Howe's approach seems to be the right one.

SR Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by josuev80 View Post
    You are right again. There are likely hundreds of demos floating around by various current and former members but it makes little sense to run them through a meat grinder with the hopes of a decent, coherent album coming out of it just to appease people desperate for "new' material no matter what the quality is. Howe's approach seems to be the right one.
    Yes albums are like sausages: you don't want to know how they are made...?

Henry

My feeling is that as long as the material isn't previously released, and is recorded in it's entirety with the present lineup, it's a new studio album, and very welcome from my perspective.

I would look less favorably upon an album where a large chunks of it is made up of songs that I've already heard or have in some form- i.e. "Vermillion Sands"? I have it, it's a Buggles songs on Adventures in Modern Recording. "Go Through This"? I have it, it was on a live Yes release. Some random track that's already been released as a bonus track on another album? Got 'em, for the most part. An album full of that stuff would be weak sauce and not really new to me (With the caveat here that obviously if it's just 1 or 2 tracks of a 12 track album, that makes it way more palatable because it would be 80-90% new to me).

I also think going back and trying to make it so that Chris Squire or Peter Banks is playing from random demos appear on new songs from beyond the grave is a bad idea (Not as bad an idea as ARW playing live with a Chris Squire hologram, but close.). Show some confidence in the living band members, and let them play. If Squire did some work on a Heaven and Earth sequel before his death and they want to use some of the ideas or riffs because they are better than what the current band can come up with (Hypothetically), by all means, use them, but use the *ideas* and give Squire the writing credit, while letting Sherwood play the parts. If demos exist, they were meant as demos and not to be released as the finished project. And if it's not better than what the current group can come up with, don't just include them just so you can say "Chris Squire wrote part of the album".

To me, if for some reason they aren't confident enough in the current band to write and perform previously unheard songs, it'd be better to buy some unheard songs from outside writers and use some guest stars or session players than to release a bunch of old Buggles demos and stuff from Chris Squire's attic recorded in 1976 on a scratchy cassette tape while he was up late drinking one night transferred straight to a new master. That's not really meant as a knock on Chris or the Buggles. I just want a new original Yes album that's never been heard before, and tracks that are recorded professionally for that album instead of demos from the deceased, you know? I hope that's not too out of line to type.

None of that precludes Trevor Horn writing on the album some. I think that'd be cool. But if it's just going to be stuff we've already heard, I'd rather he not. If he's got new songs or songs that we've truly never ever heard before, great.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast