Google
 


Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: What do we know about the never made direct follow up to Drama?

  1. #1
    Super Yesfan
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    202
    Rep Power
    28695963

    What do we know about the never made direct follow up to Drama?

    In a recent thread someone mentioned that Yes planned to title the never made Drama sequel album "Vermillion Sands". While this person didn't cite a direct source this left me wondering: what details do we know about the album the Trevor Horn-led Yes would have made if the Drama lineup didn't break up and how do we know it?

    We could assume that We Can Fly From Here and Go Through This would make it on the record but what else? How much of the material that made it's way onto "Adventures Of Modern Recording" was written during this material? How about anything that Howe would later use on "Asia" or that Squire and White used in "XYZ" and "90125"? Are their any interviews conducted during the Drama era that elaborates on their plans for what would have been their next album?

    I'm sorry if the answers to any of these questions are common knowledge but I figured an exchange of information never hurt anyone





  2. #2
    dreamland crotale2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    dreamland connecticut. to the left of the garden of geda
    Posts
    5,166
    Rep Power
    107374677

    Re: What do we know about the never made direct follow up to Drama?

    "Vermillion Sands". ... sounds very cool, I would love to know more about that rather wild time in Yes history. It would be great if a whole new flock of radical Yes tunes comes out to the public :)

    just wishing...

    still undefined

  3. #3
    onward... somissound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Somis, California
    Age
    45
    Posts
    8,844
    Rep Power
    107374863

    Re: What do we know about the never made direct follow up to Drama?

    Quote Originally Posted by crotale2112 View Post
    "Vermillion Sands". ... sounds very cool, I would love to know more about that rather wild time in Yes history. It would be great if a whole new flock of radical Yes tunes comes out to the public :)

    just wishing...
    Or a manual on radical writing and finishing Drama production techniques. Vermillion Sands

  4. #4
    Yes-East-West-Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Cologne, Germany
    Age
    56
    Posts
    5,592
    Rep Power
    107374751

    Re: What do we know about the never made direct follow up to Drama?

    In a perfect world we could have had it all... Yeswest and Drama II with Horn and Downes and Vermillion Sands, Beatnik, Dion... all great stuff, flashy wave-prog, worthy being called Yesmusic almost already in the Buggles-versions... and now imagine Squire and Howe yesifying it even more... I will have a sleepless night... sigh...

    Though one must say, that a few of the most interesting tracks on Adventures In Modern Recording are not Horn/Downs-tracks but Horn alone (Beatnik) or with other collaborators like Rainbow Warrior... but most of it is Horn/Downes and as it seems really meant for a new Yesalbum... I would like Yes to record some of it... and bring back Horn in the game as lead singer Probably there would be still new stuff enough for Davison to sing as well. Well, all that in a perfect world...
    Last edited by PeterCologne; 1 Week Ago at 12:06 AM.

  5. #5
    SR Yesfan Sharp on Attack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    south side of france
    Age
    46
    Posts
    5,002
    Rep Power
    107374598

    Re: What do we know about the never made direct follow up to Drama?

    It's still time to finish and release the Drama II EP

    Go Through This (Trevor Horn vocals added to the YES instrumental)
    Telephone Secrets (YES instrumental version with Squire vocals culled from XYZ version)
    Vermillion Sands (totally new YES recording)
    We Can Fly ( abridged with new vocals by Trevor Horn)

  6. #6
    The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,342
    Rep Power
    107374563

    Re: What do we know about the never made direct follow up to Drama?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharp on Attack View Post
    It's still time to finish and release the Drama II EP

    Go Through This (Trevor Horn vocals added to the YES instrumental)
    Telephone Secrets (YES instrumental version with Squire vocals culled from XYZ version)
    Vermillion Sands (totally new YES recording)
    We Can Fly ( abridged with new vocals by Trevor Horn)
    Not too sure about yet another We Can Fly, but otherwise, I’d buy it.
    And if they could build an album on just We Can Fly, why not build an album
    around these songs? Just add that epic they were working on and a few new tracks,
    and presto!

  7. #7
    SR Yesfan Sharp on Attack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    south side of france
    Age
    46
    Posts
    5,002
    Rep Power
    107374598

    Re: What do we know about the never made direct follow up to Drama?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ceasar's Palace View Post
    Not too sure about yet another We Can Fly...
    Neither am I but it's the only thing we know for sure that has been in the works

  8. #8
    JR Yesfan, senior Yes fan khatrooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    the space between the notes
    Age
    61
    Posts
    303
    Rep Power
    106855274

    Re: What do we know about the never made direct follow up to Drama?

    i got your vermillion sands right here
    (ABWH booklet artwork)
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    onward... somissound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Somis, California
    Age
    45
    Posts
    8,844
    Rep Power
    107374863

    Re: What do we know about the never made direct follow up to Drama?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterCologne View Post
    In a perfect world we could have had it all... Yeswest and Drama II with Horn and Downes and Vermillion Sands, Beatnik, Dion... all great stuff, flashy wave-prog, worthy being called Yesmusic almost already in the Buggles-versions... and now imagine Squire and Howe yesifying it even more... I will have a sleepless night... sigh...

    Though one must say, that a few of the most interesting tracks on Adventures In Modern Recording are not Horn/Downs-tracks but Horn alone (Beatnik) or with other collaborators like Rainbow Warrior... but most of it is Horn/Downes and as it seems really meant for a new Yesalbum... I would like Yes to record some of it... and bring back Horn in the game as lead singer Probably there would be still new stuff enough for Davison to sing as well. Well, all that in a perfect world...
    A Drama part 2 could have been incredible. I prefer Horn over Rabin and Horn added that hip modern edge I prefer to Rabin's Foreigner/Starship rock thing. Though I do think Rabin learned a lot and was influenced by Horn for sure.

    Once I heard Rabin's demo of OOALH and compared it to the the final Horn production, it's quite amazing the work he did. Not just the production, but how he took the entire song to a new level. I know it was just a demo, but the content was nearly laughable. Wish Horn and Squire had done more together...

  10. #10
    Yes-East-West-Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Cologne, Germany
    Age
    56
    Posts
    5,592
    Rep Power
    107374751

    Re: What do we know about the never made direct follow up to Drama?

    Quote Originally Posted by somissound View Post
    A Drama part 2 could have been incredible. I prefer Horn over Rabin and Horn added that hip modern edge I prefer to Rabin's Foreigner/Starship rock thing. Though I do think Rabin learned a lot and was influenced by Horn for sure.

    Once I heard Rabin's demo of OOALH and compared it to the the final Horn production, it's quite amazing the work he did. Not just the production, but how he took the entire song to a new level. I know it was just a demo, but the content was nearly laughable. Wish Horn and Squire had done more together...
    Oh yes, I always found that Rabin profited from Yes in 83/84 as much as Yes from Rabin. The step from IMHO mildly interesting light rockalbums like Wolf to 90125 is enormous. And the most important factor probably was Trevor Horn, followed presumably by Squires skills concerning arranging and texture.

    Anyway, I would no mind them recording the exciting stuff from Adventures in Modern Recording plus some new stuff. After Topographic Drama I trust Davison a bit more, but why not having Horn as Leadsinger as well at least in the studio. Vermillion Sands but also something like Beatnik f.e. ir INner City or Rainbow warrior could materialize into Masterworks when they get yesified.

  11. #11
    Insane Yesfan ragtime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,635
    Rep Power
    107374386

    Re: What do we know about the never made direct follow up to Drama?

    Quote Originally Posted by somissound View Post
    A Drama part 2 could have been incredible. I prefer Horn over Rabin and Horn added that hip modern edge I prefer to Rabin's Foreigner/Starship rock thing. Though I do think Rabin learned a lot and was influenced by Horn for sure.

    Once I heard Rabin's demo of OOALH and compared it to the the final Horn production, it's quite amazing the work he did. Not just the production, but how he took the entire song to a new level. I know it was just a demo, but the content was nearly laughable. Wish Horn and Squire had done more together...
    Anderson also had a hand in rewriting OOALH and other songs. Squire acknowledged that those contributions made the material more interesting.
    Universe University

  12. #12
    YES and YES , two YES's from me
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,397
    Rep Power
    107374343

    Re: What do we know about the never made direct follow up to Drama?

    Vermilion Sands is a collection of science fiction short stories by British writer J. G. Ballard, first published in 1971. All the stories are set in an imaginary vacation resort called Vermilion Sands which suggests, among other places, Palm Springs in southern California. The characters are generally the wealthy and disaffected, or people who make a living off them, as well as parasites of various kinds.
    In the preface, Ballard himself wrote: "Vermilion Sands has more than its full share of dreams and illusions, fears and fantasies, but the frame for them is less confining. I like to think, too, that it celebrates the neglected virtues of the glossy, lurid and bizarre."
    A Times Literary Supplement review aptly describes the collection's surrealist mood : "J.G. Ballard is … one of the most accomplished creators of evocative landscapes in modern fiction … he achieves this effect partly by painting his desert in the manner of Dali, a mixture of appalling clarity and the exotic."
    Contents




    The collection

    Stories

    Vermilion Sands contains the following stories:

    • "Prima Belladonna" (1956)
    • "The Thousand Dreams of Stellavista" (1962)
    • "Cry Hope, Cry Fury!" (1966)
    • "Venus Smiles" (1957)
    • "Studio 5, The Stars" (1961)
    • "The Cloud-Sculptors of Coral D" (1967)
    • "Say Goodbye to the Wind" (1970)
    • "The Screen Game" (1962)
    • "The Singing Statues" (1962) [not included in earlier US editions]

    Exotic technology

    Each story concentrates on different media - in some cases more than one - and most of them focus on a particular innovative, usually rather decadent/baroque twist on an existing artistic medium. For instance:

    • "Prima Belladonna" focuses on music, especially singing, via singing plants and a 'mutant' voice.
    • "The Thousand Dreams of Stellavista" focuses on architecture, via mobile, mood-sensitive houses.
    • "Cry Hope, Cry Fury" focuses on painting, through paints that respond to the presence of light/objects (an example of decadence through the evaporation of skill).
    • "Venus Smiles" focuses on sculpture, through the creation of a (strangely growing) sound sculpture.
    • "Studio 5, The Stars" focuses on poetry, through automated poetry machines (another example of skill vanishing, this time into automation).
    • "The Cloud-Sculptors of Coral D" focuses on a peculiar kind of sculpture made by carving clouds - painting also appears in this story.
    • "Say Goodbye to the Wind" focuses on fashion via living fashion and sound jewelry (non-aural music and erotic food are also mentioned in passing).
    • "The Screen Game" has no unusual technologies, but an unusual aesthetic - jewels and screens dominate.
    • "The Singing Statues" returns to sound sculpture (which may have been why it was removed from the American Berkley Medallion edition of 1971).

    Although the characters themselves often exhibit the same obsession, anomie and psychological disintegration typical of Ballard's characters, the emphasis on elaborate and sometimes humorously imagined art forms gives these stories a playfulness unusual in his other stories. A few other stories not set in Vermilion Sands are comparable because of their similar artistic games, especially "Sound-Sweep" (1960, on music/opera) and "Passport to Eternity" (1962, full of decadent trends and live fashions).
    Popular culture references

    • The song "Vermilion Sands" on the Buggles album Adventures In Modern Recording is probably referring to this collection.
    • A 1980s Japanese progressive rock band was called "Vermilion Sands". Their album featured a song entitled "The cloud-sculptors of Coral D".[1]
    • Vermilion Sands is the name taken by a garage-pop band from Treviso, Italy.

    References


    Vermilion Sands band website

  13. #13
    Insane Yesfan Don the Cap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,561
    Rep Power
    107374285

    Re: What do we know about the never made direct follow up to Drama?

    Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodfish1 View Post
    Vermilion Sands is a collection of science fiction short stories by British writer J. G. Ballard, first published in 1971. All the stories are set in an imaginary vacation resort called Vermilion Sands which suggests, among other places, Palm Springs in southern California. The characters are generally the wealthy and disaffected, or people who make a living off them, as well as parasites of various kinds.
    In the preface, Ballard himself wrote: "Vermilion Sands has more than its full share of dreams and illusions, fears and fantasies, but the frame for them is less confining. I like to think, too, that it celebrates the neglected virtues of the glossy, lurid and bizarre."
    A Times Literary Supplement review aptly describes the collection's surrealist mood : "J.G. Ballard is … one of the most accomplished creators of evocative landscapes in modern fiction … he achieves this effect partly by painting his desert in the manner of Dali, a mixture of appalling clarity and the exotic."
    Contents






    The collection

    Stories

    Vermilion Sands contains the following stories:

    • "Prima Belladonna" (1956)
    • "The Thousand Dreams of Stellavista" (1962)
    • "Cry Hope, Cry Fury!" (1966)
    • "Venus Smiles" (1957)
    • "Studio 5, The Stars" (1961)
    • "The Cloud-Sculptors of Coral D" (1967)
    • "Say Goodbye to the Wind" (1970)
    • "The Screen Game" (1962)
    • "The Singing Statues" (1962) [not included in earlier US editions]

    Exotic technology

    Each story concentrates on different media - in some cases more than one - and most of them focus on a particular innovative, usually rather decadent/baroque twist on an existing artistic medium. For instance:

    • "Prima Belladonna" focuses on music, especially singing, via singing plants and a 'mutant' voice.
    • "The Thousand Dreams of Stellavista" focuses on architecture, via mobile, mood-sensitive houses.
    • "Cry Hope, Cry Fury" focuses on painting, through paints that respond to the presence of light/objects (an example of decadence through the evaporation of skill).
    • "Venus Smiles" focuses on sculpture, through the creation of a (strangely growing) sound sculpture.
    • "Studio 5, The Stars" focuses on poetry, through automated poetry machines (another example of skill vanishing, this time into automation).
    • "The Cloud-Sculptors of Coral D" focuses on a peculiar kind of sculpture made by carving clouds - painting also appears in this story.
    • "Say Goodbye to the Wind" focuses on fashion via living fashion and sound jewelry (non-aural music and erotic food are also mentioned in passing).
    • "The Screen Game" has no unusual technologies, but an unusual aesthetic - jewels and screens dominate.
    • "The Singing Statues" returns to sound sculpture (which may have been why it was removed from the American Berkley Medallion edition of 1971).

    Although the characters themselves often exhibit the same obsession, anomie and psychological disintegration typical of Ballard's characters, the emphasis on elaborate and sometimes humorously imagined art forms gives these stories a playfulness unusual in his other stories. A few other stories not set in Vermilion Sands are comparable because of their similar artistic games, especially "Sound-Sweep" (1960, on music/opera) and "Passport to Eternity" (1962, full of decadent trends and live fashions).
    Popular culture references


    • The song "Vermilion Sands" on the Buggles album Adventures In Modern Recording is probably referring to this collection.
    • A 1980s Japanese progressive rock band was called "Vermilion Sands". Their album featured a song entitled "The cloud-sculptors of Coral D".[1]
    • Vermilion Sands is the name taken by a garage-pop band from Treviso, Italy.

    References

    Vermilion Sands band website
    I've been slowly working my way through the two-volume complete Ballard short stories for a while, and I think they're chronological so the order in the original collections isn't adhered to. Do you know the story Chronopolis? One of my favourites!
    Getting over all the time I had to worry.....

  14. #14
    My hovercraft is full of eels Grey Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Eastern PA, USA
    Age
    60
    Posts
    7,614
    Rep Power
    107374720

    Re: What do we know about the never made direct follow up to Drama?

    I do know that Vermilion is spelled with only one "L".
    Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
    DON'T PANIC!


  15. #15
    Mega Yesfan
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    364
    Rep Power
    64424914

    Re: What do we know about the never made direct follow up to Drama?

    What is the origin of the belief that "Vermilion Sands" was intended for Yes? I am a massive fan of the "Drama" era, yet I've never seen that mentioned by a member of Yes in any interview I've read.

  16. #16
    onward... somissound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Somis, California
    Age
    45
    Posts
    8,844
    Rep Power
    107374863

    Re: What do we know about the never made direct follow up to Drama?

    Quote Originally Posted by ragtime View Post
    Anderson also had a hand in rewriting OOALH and other songs. Squire acknowledged that those contributions made the material more interesting.
    Absolutely. His touch, as well as Horn and Squire's, elevated the song tremendously from it's origins.

    Quote Originally Posted by mcnpauls View Post
    What is the origin of the belief that "Vermilion Sands" was intended for Yes? I am a massive fan of the "Drama" era, yet I've never seen that mentioned by a member of Yes in any interview I've read.
    All I know is that FFH was on deck for an album after Drama if it were to be. There were a few songs on a Buggles album that came out instead that might have received the Yes treatments and fiddle faddle. I bet Geoff would know!!

  17. #17
    YES and YES , two YES's from me
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,397
    Rep Power
    107374343

    Re: What do we know about the never made direct follow up to Drama?

    Quote Originally Posted by mcnpauls View Post
    What is the origin of the belief that "Vermilion Sands" was intended for Yes? I am a massive fan of the "Drama" era, yet I've never seen that mentioned by a member of Yes in any interview I've read.
    It was in the melody maker interview with YES in 1980 in the UK and specifically Trevor Horn who said he was reading a book called Vermillion Sands and that it would be a good title for the next YES album

  18. #18
    Way out West Ig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,169
    Rep Power
    107374438

    Re: What do we know about the never made direct follow up to Drama?

    Quote Originally Posted by ragtime View Post
    Anderson also had a hand in rewriting OOALH and other songs. Squire acknowledged that those contributions made the material more interesting.
    In a video interview with Trevor Horn he talks at length about the making of Owner. He says Anderson's contribution was re-writing 2nd verse, the "Eagle in the Sky" lyric section, which Horn hated. Anderson refused to budge on the verse, so Horn added some gunshots, shooting down the eagle. The whole interview is very interesting and also quite amusing, if you haven't seen it.



  19. #19
    SR Super Yesfan downbyariver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,412
    Rep Power
    107374613

    Re: What do we know about the never made direct follow up to Drama?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ig View Post
    In a video interview with Trevor Horn he talks at length about the making of Owner. He says Anderson's contribution was re-writing 2nd verse, the "Eagle in the Sky" lyric section, which Horn hated. Anderson refused to budge on the verse, so Horn added some gunshots, shooting down the eagle.
    Interestingly, that sound effect is not included in live performances. I had assumed Anderson vetoed it for obvious reasons while he was in the band, but kind of wondered why Yes didn't put it back in when they continued on without Anderson.

    They've probably missed their window for using the sound effect live, though. It would have been fine to have it right up until recently, but with the tragic terrorist attacks involving gunfire that have occurred recently at (non-Yes) concerts, using a sound effect like that live would probably be in poor taste and might even cause a panic.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •