Google

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: This should have stopped long ago

Re: This should have stopped long ago

I for one hope the OP sticks around. Since I quit drinking i enjoy the sparing.

I was a world class drunk but 10 years sober
    What's conservative about people not paying their fair share in taxes, giving tax cuts to the wealthy and constantly putting the tax burden on the shrinking middle class?

Quote Originally Posted by SeeTheDesert View Post
    I for one hope the OP sticks around. Since I quit drinking i enjoy the sparing.

I was a world class drunk but 10 years sober
    It's kind of sad to see so much talent go to waste !
    Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...

Please refill the can. Discount Ministry's Avatar

Beer sucks if you have to add tomato juice and I can't get rum or whiskey on food stamps, am diabetic.

Damn the fates. No. 7 and Dr. Pepper rules.

You are NEVER alone...BACON is your friend!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Wolf View Post
    Mom always liked you best.
    She had no choice.

Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic Heretic View Post
    Ive been an avid fan since the early 70's. They made magic, not music. After Awaken, it was just music. Shall we now bid Farewell? Yes, they did. They pulled some rabbits (Rabbit, get it?") out of hats and a resurgence saw them back in the charts. But the charts were never the aim. Now the die-hards are circling wagons against any onslaught on the memories of their beloved youth and losing sight completely of why we use definitions like "classic line-up"... yet I see praise heaped on Topographic Drama (the words, the band has never sounded better) as though the PR company have guns held to their heads. I'll tell you when they sounded better. Always! JD has no unique tone. His voice is bland. Steve fumbles through CTTE like a beginner who isn't sure what's happening next. Geoff Downes on TRSOG can't even duplicate two harmony lines on two Moogs. Billy Sherwood may have the notes in their proper sequence, but so what? He's so far in the background all sense of Chris' majestic creations are lost. At least Allen has thrown in the towel and brought in help. Which leads me to a conclusion that Yes fans don't like. Yes music will not last until the sun engulfs the Earth in a few billion years. Observe the case of Paul McCartney. He was a Beatle!! Wow wow wow! He was in Wings. Wow. He's an old guy who entire generations know nothing about. If that can happen to a Beatle, what chance Yes?
    There is a current thread elsewhere on this forum that shows Yes on German tv back in 1969. It's fun to watch not only because it shows an actual band playing together and having fun, but also because of the surreal irony of persons both here and in "the band" pretending Yes Official™ has anything at all to do with the five guys in that video.
    Fun Fact: Your average university's school of music has jazz and classical guitar students whose names you'll never hear of, but who nonetheless make the Howe vs Rabin debate pretty pointless.

dreamland connecticut. to the left of the garden of geda

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Wolf View Post
    Mom always liked you best.
    Alice always kept a separate cucumber off to the side in the fridge when making salads for dinner.... along with the pork chops and apple sauce.

But the cucumber was always missing the next morning.... Greg was old enough to know what was going on, he told little Bobby but that only freaked Bobby out and made him sleep in Tiger's dog house until salads didn't include cucumbers at dinner time.

what she did to Sam the butcher sometimes is truly avant garde for it's day.... his thick cut sausages should have been used in other manners... food for the homeless instead of THAT!

Last edited by crotale2112; 2 Days Ago at 10:25 PM.

still undefined

Quote Originally Posted by innergrove63 View Post
    There is a current thread elsewhere on this forum that shows Yes on German tv back in 1969. It's fun to watch not only because it shows an actual band playing together and having fun, but also because of the surreal irony of persons both here and in "the band" pretending Yes Official™ has anything at all to do with the five guys in that video.
    So because McDonald's hasn't got Richard and Maurice McDonald's leading them anymore, I guess the McDonald's of today hasn't got anything at all to do with them and when it all started in 1940 right?

You can't just compare a beginning point and a point 50 years down the line without taking the history lying in between those points into account.
    ReAwaken (after the Bethlehem Sands concert 2016):
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

The parking and traffic guidance at the rebuilt east side store is a lot worse, especially since a Starbucks wedged in between them and the Burger King.

Not even remotely bike friendly.

I'd rather see either of the current versions of the band than the 1969 version.
    Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...

Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    So because McDonald's hasn't got Richard and Maurice McDonald's leading them anymore, I guess the McDonald's of today hasn't got anything at all to do with them and when it all started in 1940 right?

You can't just compare a beginning point and a point 50 years down the line without taking the history lying in between those points into account.
    We're not talking about a fast food franchise. Unless you mean to suggest that Yes Official™ is merely licenses the brand and content? You may have something there.
    Fun Fact: Your average university's school of music has jazz and classical guitar students whose names you'll never hear of, but who nonetheless make the Howe vs Rabin debate pretty pointless.

We're not talking about a fast food franchise. Unless you mean to suggest that Yes Official™ is merely licenses the brand and content? You may have something there.
    Yeah I was already afraid you might take what I said as that. My point is and was (I'll repeat):

ReAwaken (after the Bethlehem Sands concert 2016):
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    Yeah I was already afraid you might take what I said as that. My point is and was (I'll repeat):

Fair enough. But if you want to take history into account, it seems (to me) the problem remains.

What I mean is this. In 2008 Yes was on haitus and had been since 2004. A tour was planned and nearly in place when JA was unable to proceed. From this situation, "Steve Howe, Chris Squire and Alan White of Yes" toured instead, with the already-in-place OW and the newly-recruited BD subbing for JA. They took pains to make it clear that this entity was not Yes, but some of the members of Yes touring as a trio, under their own names, with supporting musicians. Yes still existed, and this was not it.

Then, in the summer of 2009, it was announced these same five players were Yes. There were no changes in who or what was happening on stage. Not Yes was simply rebranded as Yes. Plenty of people on this forum and elsewhere made quite a few disparaging remarks about CS in particular, and his mishandling of and disrespect for the band's history and legacy. But it seems they have either forgotten that or gotten over it.

Maybe that doesn't mean anything to you, and it's fine it if doesn't. But to me, that is a clear break from the history and the continuity of the band, and as unrelated to what went before as it might have been if, say, Paul McCartney during a Wings concert said, "This is now The Beatles. This is what The Beatles are today."

IMO

...as it might have been if, say, Paul McCartney during a Wings concert said, "This is now The Beatles. This is what The Beatles are today."

IMO
    If wings had featured Harrison and Starr too, I might have gone for that.

For a band named Yes I've never seen so much No.

Quote Originally Posted by Discount Ministry View Post
    For a band named Yes I've never seen so much No.
    I know... Right?

Just weird
    The Desert is an Ocean with its life drying above ground!

Maybe that doesn't mean anything to you, and it's fine it if doesn't. But to me, that is a clear break from the history and the continuity of the band, and as unrelated to what went before as it might have been if, say, Paul McCartney during a Wings concert said, "This is now The Beatles. This is what The Beatles are today."

IMO
    We all have issues. These forums are the best place to vent.

˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ʎlɹɐǝlɔ sɐɥ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos relayerone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pjt View Post
    Vent? Issues? Innergrove makes a calm and reasoned case ^^^ that's frankly difficult to argue with. That you see that opposing viewpoint as "venting" or that he/she has "issues" says more about you than him or her.
    There's no way that *everybody* was kung-fu fighting.
    Music:♩♪♫♬ Volume: ▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 110 %

Quote Originally Posted by pjt View Post
    Irrespective of whether one agrees with Innergrove, he/she was most assuredly not in 'vent' mode. You, however, most assuredly are.
    Getting over all the time I had to worry.....

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7