Google

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Full 2011 ProShot show with Benoit David from the STYX tour

Super Mega Yesfan popeyebonaparte's Avatar

Full 2011 ProShot show with Benoit David from the STYX tour

I remember five songs appearing from this source back in the day but it seems the whole thing is up. I assume it's in house camera footage or something but it's certainly a fascinating document as it's the only complete proshot footage we have from this lineup apart from the fragments of Lyon and Rouen included on the bonus documentary with Live From Lyon.
    Peace, love, long live rock n roll

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

Re: Full 2011 ProShot show with Benoit David from the STYX tour

I’ve just scanned through it, and it looks ok. On Tempus Fugit I do miss a lot of the trademark White fills that are so much a part of the strengths of this track (and all of Drama) though...

#Yes 50

Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post

I remember five songs appearing from this source back in the day but it seems the whole thing is up. I assume it's in house camera footage or something but it's certainly a fascinating document as it's the only complete proshot footage we have from this lineup apart from the fragments of Lyon and Rouen included on the bonus documentary with Live From Lyon.
    Thanks for posting this, have never seen it before!

Ahh,,, that's the Gilford NH show from 09July11 on the Styxterisk tour. The FFH track is the only one I can bear to listen to. Avoid HotS at all costs!!!!!
    -----
    paul
    -----

Thanks for posting..

Thanks. I only had the opportunity to scan through a little of this, but from what I can tell, "Fly From Here" was a real highlight. Steve Howe and Geoff Downes were really playing with some fire and intensity on the parts of the song I saw.

I'd enjoy it if they were to put together a little live album highlighting some stuff that maybe wasn't marketable to a larger audience that diehard fans could buy as a digital download only or something, provided it was priced reasonably. You know, stuff like the live performances of "Fly From Here", "Believe Again", "To Ascend", and "The Game", among other things. I wouldn't buy a $99 box set of that, but I'd buy a $9.99 album of that.

It seems like maybe our best chance at an official release of live material from "Fly From Here" was sort of snuffed out when Benoit David was replaced with Jon Davison. Davison sang "Fly From Here", the long 20 minute version, in concert for a while, but I got the feeling that the band didn't want to keep promoting the last lead singer's album on new live albums- and the concept of revisiting old studio albums live clearly captured the imagination of the band and the label they had at the time.

It was kind of interested just seeing how different some of the guys looked in 2011 vs. 2017. I mean, obviously, the lead singer and bass player are different people, but it appears as though, and this may just be my imagination, Howe has really stepped up and been more of a "lead" performer on stage recently and plays to the crowd more because he knows he's the guy they're coming to see and he's kind of got to do it (And does it- To his credit!). Downes also looked a bit different physically- nothing is implied by that other than that sometimes as time passes people look different- not a criticism or a bit of praise (Though I did really like his playing on the parts I scanned through). The parts I saw weren't heavy on Alan White, but you could hear how hard he was still striking the drums, and visually he looked healthier (As one might imagine).

To me, this was a nice little slice of Yes history. I thought Fly From Here was a very good studio album for a band like Yes to be releasing so late in to the band's history, and while In the Present- Live from Lyon isn't the best live album I've heard from them, I found at least two songs that were superior versions to any other versions of those songs that I have (Including the studio versions), and I find myself listening to that live album fairly often to this day- it's got a nice little dynamic to it, I understand that the tempos could have been faster and so on and so forth, but I really like David's voice (Hey, there's always someone who likes any given thing, right? :) ) and it's still the most recent live album that features a sort of a normal setlist (Nothing against the studio albums done live stuff, it's just that sometimes I want to hear the studio album done live, and sometimes I want a wider mix of Yes music done live).

It's also odd to know that I was probably posting here at Yes fans back then and here I am 6 years or more later still posting with all of you fine people. :) Like you see that, and you know time has actually passed and the band has actually changed. I've been here a while.

I actually have to say, I'm normally a guy who in general can be a little change adverse in life, but I am warming up to always getting these different combinations of people in Yes. Like there were things that were great about David and there are things that are great about Davison, and we can hear them both. It's not always the same five guys doing the same stuff for 50 years at a clip. There's variety there. And I think overall that variety has been a good thing.
    Last edited by downbyariver; 1 Week Ago at 07:29 PM.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

As an aside, who owns the audio of this for the purposes of hypothetical potential future releases? Would it be Frontiers, their label when it was recorded, or Rhino, their label now?
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

Super Mega Yesfan popeyebonaparte's Avatar

I ----ing loved Fly From Here myself and am looking very much forward to the version with Trevor Horn. However, since they're releasing that, I can't imagine they'd release a FFH live album at the same time although I would love to see it.
    Peace, love, long live rock n roll

˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ʎlɹɐǝlɔ sɐɥ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos relayerone's Avatar

Dunno who that sluggish, sloppy, corner-cutting and cracking-voiced band is here but it ain't the Yes I knew and loved. Horrible. All of it.
    There's no way that *everybody* was kung-fu fighting.
    Music:♩♪♫♬ Volume: ▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 110 %

22 min mark, OMG. Sorry but that is bad.
    "YES" - Music that could make God cry with joy. Either you get it or you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by 1yesfan View Post
    Don't say I didn't warn you above
    -----
    paul
    -----

Despite his vocal shortcomings, Benoit's twirling and miming were in fine form in this performance.

Quote Originally Posted by josuev80 View Post
    Despite his vocal shortcomings, Benoit's twirling and miming were in fine form in this performance.
    I thought his bongos sounded a bit shrill
    -----
    paul
    -----

YES and YES , two YES's from me

Wonderful

Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post
    I ----ing loved Fly From Here myself and am looking very much forward to the version with Trevor Horn. However, since they're releasing that, I can't imagine they'd release a FFH live album at the same time although I would love to see it.
    I just saw this video recently.. Trevor does it justice.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6jUBnfkw6Y

dreamland connecticut. to the left of the garden of geda

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    very cool, in this realm of Yes and all it's magic doors and letters that float in bottles endlessly in the seas of the topographic ocean.

I like this bottle that floated ashore not to long ago.....

[IMG][/IMG]

still undefined

Quote Originally Posted by josuev80 View Post
    Benoit's twirling and miming were in fine form in this performance.
    I saw him sing with the Affirmatives a few times and do not remember him as being "this" animated

Perhaps I blocked it out

E
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by relayerone View Post
    Dunno who that sluggish, sloppy, corner-cutting and cracking-voiced band is here but it ain't the Yes I knew and loved. Horrible. All of it.
    I'm glad I'm not alone here . . Certainly not YES !
    "Failure to prepare is preparing for Failure"-John R. Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by 1yesfan View Post
    The 21 min. mark was no picnic either.

Super Mega Yesfan TommyTopographic's Avatar

Christ, Benoit is awful in this. Was fairly decent both times I saw him but obviously struggled with the range under intense touring conditions, you have to say Jon D was a massive upgrade.
    CHECK OUT MY BAND SAHARA SKY AT.. www.soundcloud.com/saharasky

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast