Google

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Howe and Rabin

Howe and Rabin

Obviously YesO and YesF have their differences... and the RRHOF was awkward... BUT wouldn't it be cool if the unthinkable happened? Somehow the two sides come together in some way to honor the 50th? Pipe dream here, but I think the only way such might happen would not be via Anderson, or White, Wakeman... nor even Howe... but by Trevor Rabin. Trevor seems to be such a nice guy, and as he's older he just wants to be in a band, play live, and have fun. And while it is natural for the two lead guitarists to have the king of the roost, cock-fight kind of mentality... can you imagine if Trevor Rabin reached out to Steve Howe and said, "hey you know what, we're getting older, we're both good guitarists, like it or not we represent the two different eras of Yes, and there are fans of both who would love to see us get together... let's just hook up and give the fans the best possible Yes experience...." I actually think Steve Howe might listen.

Imagine for a minute, Steve and Rabin sharing the stage, playing all the best material from Classic Yes and YesWest -- of course Howe would want some kind of promise from Rabin that Trevor wouldn't shred all over his crap, and I think at this point Trevor could agree to that and hold back and just support where it was tasty. And vice versa. Heck, they could even support each other's material by playing bass guitar during the other's songs, which would remove all threat of the lead-guitar battle/ego. Let Billy Sherwood play the second guitar on all the songs, and add the depth and support touches.

Anyway, OBVIOUSLY I'm just dreaming and coming up with something that won't happen. However, I really think it would be cool to see these two fine guitarists somehow be able to coexist and give the fans a 50th anniversary, farewell type tour to remember forever. Hey Trevor, shoot Steve a text....

Jon would say, "sure, let's do it."

Wakeman of course would be like, "I'm out."

SR Yesfan

Re: Howe and Rabin

Quote Originally Posted by Yessiree View Post
    Obviously YesO and YesF have their differences... and the RRHOF was awkward... BUT wouldn't it be cool if the unthinkable happened? Somehow the two sides come together in some way to honor the 50th? Pipe dream here, but I think the only way such might happen would not be via Anderson, or White, Wakeman... nor even Howe... but by Trevor Rabin. Trevor seems to be such a nice guy, and as he's older he just wants to be in a band, play live, and have fun. And while it is natural for the two lead guitarists to have the king of the roost, cock-fight kind of mentality... can you imagine if Trevor Rabin reached out to Steve Howe and said, "hey you know what, we're getting older, we're both good guitarists, like it or not we represent the two different eras of Yes, and there are fans of both who would love to see us get together... let's just hook up and give the fans the best possible Yes experience...." I actually think Steve Howe might listen.

Imagine for a minute, Steve and Rabin sharing the stage, playing all the best material from Classic Yes and YesWest -- of course Howe would want some kind of promise from Rabin that Trevor wouldn't shred all over his crap, and I think at this point Trevor could agree to that and hold back and just support where it was tasty. And vice versa. Heck, they could even support each other's material by playing bass guitar during the other's songs, which would remove all threat of the lead-guitar battle/ego. Let Billy Sherwood play the second guitar on all the songs, and add the depth and support touches.

Anyway, OBVIOUSLY I'm just dreaming and coming up with something that won't happen. However, I really think it would be cool to see these two fine guitarists somehow be able to coexist and give the fans a 50th anniversary, farewell type tour to remember forever. Hey Trevor, shoot Steve a text....

He said he doesn't like the tension between the camps so pretty sure he tries to avoid that. He also gave a shout out to Alan White with the comment "everyone likes Alan". Translation: Steve Howe prevents "them" from having better relations. At least in their minds... If Steve retired I bet the band's would merge for the 50th inside of five minutes.

War ... just breaks the soul Bluegrunt's Avatar

No.
    Lame, naive, laughable and stupid

As you say yourself; pipe dreaming.

You say Wakeman would be out, but I dare to say that if in the unlikely event Anderson and Howe would reunite, Rabin would be out as well. There would simply be nothing to gain for him in such a situation. Many fans already consider Howe the Yes guitarist, even if they like Trevor. If people come to see YesF they make a conscious decision to see Trevor (as well), while if Steve would be there that dynamic would change and chances would be Rabin playing second fiddle (or better; guitar ) to Steve (in the eyes of many fans). I don't think that Trevor declined all previous invitations, since he left Yes in 1995, for nothing, even those made by Howe himself and even when Jon and Chris were still part of the equation (he was invited to join the 2008 40th anniversary tour, later called the CTTE and Back tour, that eventually didn't happen). I certainly think Trevor would be professional enough to be able to work with Steve (and vice versa), but as said for himself Trevor has absolutely nothing to gain from such a situation, certainly not compared to the current situation.
    ReAwaken (after the Bethlehem Sands concert 2016):
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

Anyway, OBVIOUSLY I'm just dreaming and coming up with something that won't happen.
    Yeah you are, but I appreciate that you admit it.
    "(Their current bassist looks like he's a Dungeon Master into ham radio & I love it)"
    - carrotfleur

http://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

I suspect things have already passed some way beyond the point where this was possible.
    Getting over all the time I had to worry.....

It's nice to have dreams, even if they are just dreams. My dream for YesO for the 50th is to bring Pat Moraz and or Tom Brislin into the fold so that we can finally hear all of Relayer. Let's bring Jay Schellen back as well. My dream for YesF for the 50th is to hear an album of new music that has the power, finesse and complexity of Jacaranda combined with the lyrical and musical left fieldness of Jon A and the dynamism of an on his game Rick Wakeman.

The idea is a good one (on paper), but with the tension witnessed on the RRHOF induction; it just seems too unrealistic. I know you've said "it's my pipedream" and probably many others as well, but with Alan as fragile as he appears and without Wakeman (as suggested) . . . it still wouldn't be YES (IMHO). My pipedream YES would be :Anderson, Howe, Rabin, Wakeman, Kaye, Bruford & Sherwood. That's about as close to the Original band as you'd get. Again (IMHO).
    "Failure to prepare is preparing for Failure"-John R. Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by ANTIOCH View Post
    The idea is a good one (on paper), but with the tension witnessed on the RRHOF induction; it just seems too unrealistic. I know you've said "it's my pipedream" and probably many others as well, but with Alan as fragile as he appears and without Wakeman (as suggested) . . . it still wouldn't be YES (IMHO). My pipedream YES would be :Anderson, Howe, Rabin, Wakeman, Kaye, Bruford & Sherwood. That's about as close to the Original band as you'd get. Again (IMHO).
    What has Alan White done to deserve being dropped?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrunt View Post
    What has Alan White done to deserve being dropped?
    Not dropped . . either retired or still too fragile to tour next year. Alan is my favorite YES drummer, but being realistic; he just seems too weak to deliver a YES performance and 2018 tour.

Mega Yesfan

There will never be a Union 2. Besides all the animosity financially it could never fly. Neither ARW or Yes have the fan base to bring in more people in order to offset the increased overhead

Quote Originally Posted by ANTIOCH View Post
    Not dropped . . either retired or still too fragile to tour next year. Alan is my favorite YES drummer, but being realistic; he just seems too weak to deliver a YES performance and 2018 tour.
    I think I'd prefer to let him decide that.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Reid View Post
    There will never be a Union 2. Besides all the animosity financially it could never fly. Neither ARW or Yes have the fan base to bring in more people in order to offset the increased overhead
    Yup.....that certainly rings true to me.
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

I agree with the original post... and especially the last 2 lines.

You think grown men who perform the message of Yes night after night could act like grown men celebrating 50 years of incredible music and it's message... Not their personalities, grudges, and egos. A handful of shows in major cities would be great. Just a handful!! Then, back to your bitter corners....

I thought the "contrived" band at the RRHOF was much more Yes than both bands at the moment... Now with Kaye in the mix, that could be a slight game changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Enlighten View Post
    It's nice to have dreams, even if they are just dreams. My dream for YesO for the 50th is to bring Pat Moraz and or Tom Brislin into the fold so that we can finally hear all of Relayer. Let's bring Jay Schellen back as well. My dream for YesF for the 50th is to hear an album of new music that has the power, finesse and complexity of Jacaranda combined with the lyrical and musical left fieldness of Jon A and the dynamism of an on his game Rick Wakeman.
    Those are some really great dreams!!

Not happening. We are getting two bands for the 50th. I rather see them as they are now then put together and watch all the tension play out. PASS
    Give me two YES, best of both worlds for me as a fan at this point in the game.
    "YES" - Music that could make God cry with joy. Either you get it or you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by 1yesfan View Post
    Not happening. We are getting two bands for the 50th. I rather see them as they are now then put together and watch all the tension play out. PASS
    Same here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrunt View Post
    I think I'd prefer to let him decide that.
    I'm NOT deciding anything for anyone ! YES have used 2 drummers for their recent tours, so it's not outlandish to speculate ? And as this is a fans whimsical wish, why are you getting so protective ?? Geez ????

Quote Originally Posted by Enlighten View Post
    Agreed about new Yes Music from ARW
    Close To The Edge of a Topographical Ocean

Quote Originally Posted by 1yesfan View Post
    Exactly this.

I don't want the classic lineup back together. I like both acts (almost) the way they are.
    Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...

SR Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    Yup.....that certainly rings true to me.
    Never say never. Again.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast