Google

Thread: Gowdy/Kaye/White songs

SR Mega Yesfan

Gowdy/Kaye/White songs

Speaking of Tony Kaye... #82 of the NewEars Prog Show -- see http://newearsprogshow.libsyn.com/ -- interviewed Billy Sherwood and, among other things, he described how he and Gowdy started working with Yes between BG and Union, when Rabin was out of the band. This we knew. What I hadn't heard before was Sherwood describing how, while he and Squire were writing material, Gowdy, White and Kaye also wrote some "songs" together. I wonder what happened to these...

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the Yes news blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

Re: Gowdy/Kaye/White songs

Who is this Gowdy?

Quote Originally Posted by Ceasar's Palace View Post
    Who is this Gowdy?
    Bruce Gowdy, Billy's partner in World Trade.
    ReAwaken (after the Bethlehem Sands concert 2016):
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

Insane Yesfan

This echos my understanding that White and Kaye did a lot of writing together for BG so clearly there was a partnership between those two

Interesting
    Chris Squire RIP 1948-2015 thank you for every album every song every moment... the world will truly never be the same again.
    Yes is Steve Howe Geoff Downes Jon Davison Billy Sherwood an Alan White Dylan Howe and they have my support.
    GTT

If they haven't seen the light of day in 30-odd years they may well no longer exist, or they weren't very good to begin with.
    Getting over all the time I had to worry.....

Quote Originally Posted by xlink_nz View Post
    This echos my understanding that White and Kaye did a lot of writing together for BG so clearly there was a partnership between those two
    Which pushes the idea of a lack of material even further

I still say Downes Kaye Sherwood and Davison could write possibly the best yes album I ever heard.
    Chris Squire RIP 1948-2015 thank you for every album every song every moment... the world will truly never be the same again.
    Yes is Steve Howe Geoff Downes Jon Davison Billy Sherwood an Alan White Dylan Howe and they have my support.
    GTT

Quote Originally Posted by Rabin105 View Post

I still say Downes Kaye Sherwood and Davison could write possibly the best yes album I ever heard.
    ....or they could possibly write the worst Yes album you've ever heard. What I mean with a combination of writers that don't have a writing history together there's no prove, no precedent, so it's all pure guess and speculation, one way or the other.
    ReAwaken (after the Bethlehem Sands concert 2016):
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

It’s been a long time since Big Generator, but considering Kaye’s influence was huge then and considering it’s one of my favorite post-classic Yes albums, I wouldn’t mind if he got to write for Yes again.

I have %100 faith that Squire, White, Sherwood, Downes, Davison and Kaye could write an even better album than Heaven and Earth, Fly From Here and even OYE or Magnification. All these albums I love and think are wonderful. But Sherwood, Davison, Squire should be very potent. Lets just hope it happens!
    "That's just, like, your opinion, man."
    ~ The Dude

Quote Originally Posted by Rabin105 View Post

All I know is I hope it does not sound like Circa, Tribute albums, etc. I like Billy's playing, I just hope Horn produces so the band focuses on the music more and lets the producer and engineer do their work. But a lot of potential with all the guys in the band now, and Tony could give it some of that sweet old Yes grit.

Quote Originally Posted by The Whale View Post
    I have %100 faith that Squire, White, Sherwood, Downes, Davison and Kaye could write an even better album than Heaven and Earth, Fly From Here and even OYE or Magnification. All these albums I love and think are wonderful. But Sherwood, Davison, Squire should be very potent. Lets just hope it happens!
    Really hope they build something with Chris recordings with the guys that was never used or saved for later.

SR Mega Yesfan

It’s been a long time since Big Generator, but considering Kaye’s influence was huge then and considering it’s one of my favorite post-classic Yes albums, I wouldn’t mind if he got to write for Yes again.
    I agree. And he wrote a fair chunk of Valley of the Windmill, released just last year, so one can judge what his writing is like today easily enough, and I think he's still a great writer.

Henry

SR Mega Yesfan

I think Howe, White, Sherwood, Downes, Davison, Kaye, Howe junior, Anderson, Rabin, Wakeman, Pomeroy, Horn, Moraz and Levin or any subsets thereof could write something better than H&E, FfH, OYE or Magnification... and they could also write something worse than any of them. All the Yes members are capable of greatness, but they're all also capable, on occasion, of some right turkeys. Precisely why sometimes the magic works and sometimes it doesn't, I don't know. I don't think there's a simple equation, or everyone would apply it all the time. But I'll certainly take another roll of the dice.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    I think Howe, White, Sherwood, Downes, Davison, Kaye, Howe junior, Anderson, Rabin, Wakeman, Pomeroy, Horn, Moraz and Levin or any subsets thereof could write something better than H&E, FfH, OYE or Magnification... and they could also write something worse than any of them. All the Yes members are capable of greatness, but they're all also capable, on occasion, of some right turkeys. Precisely why sometimes the magic works and sometimes it doesn't, I don't know. I don't think there's a simple equation, or everyone would apply it all the time. But I'll certainly take another roll of the dice.

Henry
    Amen to that!

But even if both new Yes albums are a great artistic and commercial success, there is a good chance it will be the last new music they will have to offer, outside of solo stuff, that is. And I’m sure they all realise this and will not disappoint.

Mega Yesfan

Yeah, it's my impression that Kaye's influence in Yes peaked with BG-certainly the songwriting credits would suggest that.

to be honest (and I will go with both yes's )

What I want from ARW? Honestly a mixture of 90125 Talk and Close to the edge... though Track one should be a fully realized version of Time. Proggy but with the distortion pushed up to 1000. Rabin had that jazz neutral sound on Big Generator-Jacaranda and I want that guitar sound from 90125 I want the classic sound from Rick and Jon singing and writing lyrics similar to Talk.

What do I want from YES? Honestly track 1 to be Go through this and an album of that same Drama/The Yes Album style I like Howe when he brings his unique style to Rock add to that Tony Kaye and Geoff Downes adding in that cool rock keyboards sounds and Dylan And Alan adding jazz/rock drumming Billy/Chris Bass style and Davison giving his earthy but andersonesque lyrics ( Jon I felt was a mixture of Anderson and Horn on heaven & Earth)

I get those 2 albums and I will be super happy.
    GTT

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    All the Yes members are capable of greatness, but they're all also capable, on occasion, of some right turkeys. Precisely why sometimes the magic works and sometimes it doesn't, I don't know. I don't think there's a simple equation, or everyone would apply it all the time. But I'll certainly take another roll of the dice.

Henry
    Very true indeed... all artists / writers feel this way..

Yesfan

depends what you mean by worst yes album- for me OYE and H&E are the two I simply don't listen to as these as simply not my taste- FfH is sort of a pastoral album- needed a bit more aggression but to my ears better than most yes albums after talk. But in terms of TK- personally I think if Yes had put out the first CIRCA album as Yes- we would be over the moon- to my ears its the most faithful yes music that the extended yes family has put out- apols as I have yet to hear Solt-Anderson's Invention album- I tend to think that guesting for the 50th is probably where Tony's involvement will end.

SR Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by the sage View Post
    I tend to think that guesting for the 50th is probably where Tony's involvement will end.
    it would be easy enough to have Kaye guest with a solo or two on a new Yes album.

Henry