Google

Thread: New to the site, old to loving Yes!

JR Yesfan

New to the site, old to loving Yes!

Hi everyone,

I was a teenage hippy circa 1977 (age 17), then went on to be a scientist - but never stopped loving Yes (age 57 now).

I joined this forum to ask if anyone has interviewed Jon Anderson (and others) about the meaning of the lyrics of their early 70s albums.

Thanks for being here! See my other post, to be made shortly.

Love from Atlanta GA USA,
    Mike

Re: New to the site, old to loving Yes!

Hello. I think you might end up disappointed but I will enjoy whatever info you uncover!

JR Yesfan

Thanks Weams,

I posted this thread

I am a newcomer, but I hope Jon will open his mind before time takes him away.

Thanks!

JR Yesfan

Thanks Weams, one can hope. My question is here: http://www.yesfans.com/showthread.ph...970s-Yes-songs

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedKnight View Post
    Hi everyone,

I was a teenage hippy circa 1977 (age 17), then went on to be a scientist - but never stopped loving Yes (age 57 now).

I joined this forum to ask if anyone has interviewed Jon Anderson (and others) about the meaning of the lyrics of their early 70s albums.

Mike
    Welcome to the site! I'm pretty sure there are are fe folks here that could point you in the right direction, and if you do a little digging in old threads you might find some more information.
    -Pete

Hi red knight!! I love to see new faces here.. i cant wait to get your take on things..
    There's a lot if mini gatherings as well..i just attended Progstock and we also have Rosfest..both prog festivals where we all hang out..in addition, we meet up at Yes shows and a bunch of us go on the CRUISE to the Edge..
    Hope to see you soon!
    with love and wonder, denise

"We receive all we venture to give..."

Welcome to The Site, Mike. Enjoy yourself and post often.
    yadda~yadda - "It's the sound they make in Heaven. It's the sound for here on Earth. I hear it in the whispering of the Wonders that we search."

JR Yesfan

Thanks everyone, such a lovely welcome!

I've gotten into a deep discussion in the thread Deeply annotated lyrics on early 1970s Yes songs?

It would be so cool to go on a Yes cruise. I hope I can some day!

This place looks great. Thanks again, all!

Mike

Welcome Mike

Part of the lyrics of Yours is no disgrace are said to do with War and in particular the Vietnam war .

Anderson re YIND

"it was Vietnam at the time , and kids were going out there that had to fight , and it's not their fault they had to fight . They had to get into it. they had to get on top of it or else they were going to get killed . They had to get on top of the whole situation. And that's when it struck me , that it wasn't a disgrace to fight , even though the innermost feelings of man is that it's the most cruel , degrading , abysmal thing to be doing is to kill your fellow man"

This quote is from a book " Yes but what does it mean " by Thomas J Mosbo , will dig it out and see what I can come up with re the lyrics. I believe Anderson has praised this book in the past .

( just noticed this advice re the book was given in another thread )
    Last edited by barra1; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:27 AM.

YES and YES , two YES's from me

Hi everyone,

Mike
    Welcome , enjoy the adventure

New to the site
    Born and Raised in Philadelphia. Now living in Daytona Beach Florida

Hi YesFans,

I got into YES while a teen in Philadelphia in 1976 (age 18), then went on to be a Professional Photographer and worked in a photo lab printing the cover of T.V. Guide magazine every week. - but never stopped loving Yes (age 59 now).

I joined this forum to see if I could find any YES fans from Philadelphia that went to any of the 9 shows from 1979 to 1984 they played at the Spectrum. I'm working on a Coffee table picture book of which 150 of my best photographs will be published soon in 11x13 size. I would like to find as many YES fans from those shows to help me out in the book by telling me what there best experience was attending one of those shows.

I will be posting more info on the upcoming book shortly. Thanks

Now in Daytona Beach Florida

Love all

John

dreamland connecticut. to the left of the garden of geda

Hi everyone,

Dig deep into the threads and there is a lot of information on everything Anderson and Yes....

and the new guy always brings the donuts...

still undefined

Welcome, Mike! Good advice here about digging into old threads. I've always heard, regarding the lyrics, that sometimes they aren't meant to be taken too literally, that the lyrics are more about the imagery they invoke in the listener. But there are specifics that have been spoken of as well - CTTE taken from Siddhartha, GOD inspired by War and Peace, and Tales, of course, inspired by Jon's reading of Autobiography of a Yogi and a footnote contained therein. Hope you enjoy digging, and we are glad to have you here!
    Now that our server bill is just $85/month, we won't be doing donation drives; however, the occasional donation is still appreciated to make sure we keep Yesfans up and running! Please do what you can, when you can - thanks! http://www.yesfans.com/donations.htm