Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19
Results 361 to 369 of 369

Thread: Beatles COVER Song of the Day

  1. #361
    Here today...
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Age
    69
    Posts
    1,654
    Rep Power
    107374433

    Re: Beatles COVER Song of the Day

    I'm not sure whether you're aware of it, but in those days it was the norm in Australia for bands to basically build a career on covers. Australia's relative isolation, plus the rules surrounding airplay of local content, meant that in many cases we did not get to hear the original versions of these songs at all, making them easy pickings for local bands as recording material. This applied especially to "black" music like Motown and the soul labels.

    The minimum local content rules were supposed to support the development of local culture, but in some ways they stifled it, as I think I have expounded at great length elsewhere. This was why it was so noteworthy when bands like the Easybeats and the Twilights started actually writing their own songs to record. Fortunately I think we have well and truly moved on since then.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 21 Hours Ago at 07:46 AM.

  2. #362
    Pianist/Pandemoniumist pianozach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Electric Ladyland
    Posts
    10,308
    Rep Power
    107374955

    Re: Beatles COVER Song of the Day

    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I'm not sure whether you're aware of it, but in those days it was the norm in Australia for bands to basically build a career on covers. Australia's relative isolation, plus the rules surrounding airplay of local content, meant that in many cases we did not get to hear the original versions of these songs at all, making them easy pickings for local bands as recording material. This applied especially to "black" music like Motown and the soul labels.

    The minimum local content rules were supposed to support the development of local culture, but in some ways they stifled it, as I think I have expounded at great length elsewhere. This was why it was so noteworthy when bands like the Easybeats and the Twilights started actually writing their own songs to record. Fortunately I think we have well and truly moved on since then.
    Yeah, I think I finally figured that out.

    Surprisingly enough, the Bee Gees weren't able to make a go of it in their native Australia, and that made the decision to take their game to England.

    While they were on the boat to the UK they finally had a hit in Australia.
    ---Pianozach---

    ". . . Be the change you wish to see in the world." —Ghandi

    http://www.pianozach.com/ under re-construction
    http://www.macjams.com/artist/bigidea
    and a new MacJams page: http://www.macjams.com/artist/pianozach

  3. #363
    Here today...
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Age
    69
    Posts
    1,654
    Rep Power
    107374433

    Re: Beatles COVER Song of the Day

    Quote Originally Posted by pianozach View Post
    Yeah, I think I finally figured that out.

    Surprisingly enough, the Bee Gees weren't able to make a go of it in their native Australia, and that made the decision to take their game to England.

    While they were on the boat to the UK they finally had a hit in Australia.
    Whereupon, of course, we immediately claimed them as "our own".

    This was the problem. Originality in local musicians was seldom rewarded. There was a thing called the "cultural cringe", which was very prevalent then and still exists today to a lesser degree. It's marked by judging how good something is by how much it sounds like the latest thing from the UK or the USA. Those countries were the benchmarks. Hence even the Bee Gees felt it necessary to write lyrics about New York and Massachusetts.

  4. #364
    Pianist/Pandemoniumist pianozach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Electric Ladyland
    Posts
    10,308
    Rep Power
    107374955

    Re: Beatles COVER Song of the Day

    Bad Boy[/B]

    Larry Williams was lucky enough to have had three of his songs covered by The Beatles: Bad Boy, Dizzy Miss Lizzy, and Slow Down. Williams had some impressive commercial success in America in 1957 with the singles "Short Fat Fannie" (#5) (rehearsed by The Beatles during the filming of Let It Be) and "Bony Moronie" (#14) (later covered by John Lennon), and "Dizzy Miss Lizzy" the following year. So, while his career fizzled after that, the Beatles generated a healthy royalty paycheck to Williams for the rest of his life.

    So here’s his originally released version.




    But, he recorded a quite different version of it as well. I don’t actually know why this even exists, or why it’s such a different groove, only that it’s listed as “Take 5 / Junior Behave Yourself”. Sounds to me that he had some lyrics, and whoever was producing wanted a few different versions, just to see what seemed to work best.

    ---Pianozach---

    ". . . Be the change you wish to see in the world." —Ghandi

    http://www.pianozach.com/ under re-construction
    http://www.macjams.com/artist/bigidea
    and a new MacJams page: http://www.macjams.com/artist/pianozach

  5. #365
    Pianist/Pandemoniumist pianozach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Electric Ladyland
    Posts
    10,308
    Rep Power
    107374955

    Re: Beatles COVER Song of the Day

    So, this is as good a time as any to bring up Larry Williams other Beatle tie-in, his 1965 single "It’s Beatle Time”: Pt. 1 was the A-side, Pt. 2 the B-side, recorded with Johnny “Guitar” Watson. It’s an odd footnote in Beatles lore, and I can’t find any video/audio of the song, as it has minimal online presence. I don’t think I’ve ever heard it, and perhaps never will.
    ---Pianozach---

    ". . . Be the change you wish to see in the world." —Ghandi

    http://www.pianozach.com/ under re-construction
    http://www.macjams.com/artist/bigidea
    and a new MacJams page: http://www.macjams.com/artist/pianozach

  6. #366
    Pianist/Pandemoniumist pianozach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Electric Ladyland
    Posts
    10,308
    Rep Power
    107374955

    Re: Beatles COVER Song of the Day

    Bad Boy

    But Mississippi garage band The Gants were actually able to release their version before The Twilights. And one other band, The Challengers (aka The Surfaris), from Los Angeles, released a cover in 1965 as well. The Gants’ cover, while faithful, is very American, from the sloppy guitar to the southern-accented vocal.

    ---Pianozach---

    ". . . Be the change you wish to see in the world." —Ghandi

    http://www.pianozach.com/ under re-construction
    http://www.macjams.com/artist/bigidea
    and a new MacJams page: http://www.macjams.com/artist/pianozach

  7. #367
    Here today...
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Age
    69
    Posts
    1,654
    Rep Power
    107374433

    Re: Beatles COVER Song of the Day

    According to the Wikipedia article, during the Twilights' sojourn in the UK the did some recording at Abbey Road, working with producer Hurricane Smith, who had of course worked on the early Beatles albums. They were also invited to sit in on the recording sessions for Penny Lane, though there is no mention of whether they actually met the Beatles face to face.

    More Twilights trivia: the song "What's Wrong With the Way I Live" was written specifically for them by the members of the Hollies, who later recorded their own version. Graham Nash later said of the Twilights' version "Much better than we did it!".

  8. #368
    Does not share his porridge Discount Ministry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Alphaville
    Age
    51
    Posts
    10,523
    Rep Power
    107374834

    Re: Beatles COVER Song of the Day

    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Whereupon, of course, we immediately claimed them as "our own".

    This was the problem. Originality in local musicians was seldom rewarded. There was a thing called the "cultural cringe", which was very prevalent then and still exists today to a lesser degree. It's marked by judging how good something is by how much it sounds like the latest thing from the UK or the USA. Those countries were the benchmarks. Hence even the Bee Gees felt it necessary to write lyrics about New York and Massachusetts.
    And I'm glad they did. Those were the great years when Robin could front, and front brilliantly, it wasn't follow Barry's falsetto around.
    Felt I was being accused of being full of beans.

    Finished eating the beans.

  9. #369
    Does not share his porridge Discount Ministry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Alphaville
    Age
    51
    Posts
    10,523
    Rep Power
    107374834

    Re: Beatles COVER Song of the Day

    If you haven't noticed, ROBIN was my favorite Bee Gee.
    Felt I was being accused of being full of beans.

    Finished eating the beans.





Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •