Google

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Did Trevor Rabin really save YES?

Did Trevor Rabin really save YES?

It has been said MANY times. But did he really. Sure he came along at the right time with the right music for that era. But really, the band had broke up, changes personnel many times. Who says that does not happen sometime in the 80's?
    "YES" - Music that could make God cry with joy. Either you get it or you don't.

Insane Yesfan

Re: Did Trevor Rabin really save YES?

No more than Yes 'saved' him.

I don't think YES saved TR. I think he would have landed elsewhere in no time.
    I have to think that their paths just crossed at the right time and YES happened all over again.
    "YES" - Music that could make God cry with joy. Either you get it or you don't.

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

I think they all saved each other, really. The confluence of their coming together and being creative and exploratory, Phil Carson backing them, Trevor Horn producing them, Ahmet Ertegun putting his not-inconsiderable influence behind them in various ways. But if anyone saved Yes as an institution it was Carson and Ertegun.
    "(Their current bassist looks like he's a Dungeon Master into ham radio & I love it)"
    - carrotfleur

http://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

He's no fun, he fell right over... nickexxon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    But if anyone saved Yes as an institution it was Carson and Ertegun.
    Well put!
    Yes is: Davison/Downes/Howe/Sherwood/White

Insane Yesfan

Cocaine decisions......

Getting Over Overhanging Trees cerulean's Avatar

Right place right time, useful for the era, less so longer term.

Well, I suppose if saving Yes means giving them new momentum after the franchise has stagnated in a rapidly changing musical landscape, then Yes, he did, or rather, he helped.
    -Pete

Long Island New York, but a Brooklyn Italian at heart

I think they all saved each other, really. The confluence of their coming together and being creative and exploratory, Phil Carson backing them, Trevor Horn producing them, Ahmet Ertegun putting his not-inconsiderable influence behind them in various ways. But if anyone saved Yes as an institution it was Carson and Ertegun.

Totally agree with the contributions from the behind the scenes guys......

I used to hate this statement, because I was /still am a Steve Howe person when thinking of Yes guitar.

I don't hate it so much because I think Luna's statement is closer to the truth, but I think , as with many other bands, if Yes had just been absent for a while, and started up an ABWH type reunion (with Squire) it would have had a ton of interest either way. 90125 did bring a bunch of new people into the fold no doubt, but the ones who stayed were probably just predisposed to classic 70's Yes to the point of them becoming their #1 group...and didn't know it (like me). I don't think too many stayed just for Yes West once the 90125 glow wore off.

So no he didn't save Yes, Yes had too much of a legacy, but he was certainly partly ( and a big partly) responsible for creating that short-lived MTV era, and creating a huge portal for new people to discover them.
    So when we do concerts with any Yes music, I always say, there’s certain things you have to play that Chris played because without those notes, the voice doesn’t sing correctly. - Jon Anderson

For me, it's Jon Anderson's distinctive, light but husky vocal that is as characteristic of their sound as anything - Andy MacIntyre

Mega Yesfan

Yes, I'm a case in point of that. My love of Yes revolves around the 70s classic lineup and those great albums from the 70s. For me, Yes is Anderson, Squire and Howe. But I discovered the band through 90125 and had it not been for Trevor Rabin I would probably have never even heard of them. There must be many who share the same story.

BINGO!

Especially one key thing that really changed things, with all the above's participation, was Trevor Horn's incredible production and reworking of Owner Of A Lonely Heart. How far the song came from the demo to the finished product is incredible. Not to mention JA's contribution... That song, whether you like it or not, gave Yes tons of new Life.

dreamland connecticut. to the left of the garden of geda

Quote Originally Posted by rePete View Post
    Well, I suppose if saving Yes means giving them new momentum after the franchise has stagnated in a rapidly changing musical landscape, then Yes, he did, or rather, he helped.
    When the timing was right, Trevor threw the life saver (yellow of course) and took the existing energy of Yes and helped mold it into a truly 80's style band, and it worked. The sound... the look... the feel... it was completely 80's yet it was Yes.

They seemed to capture a new audience... dudes with short hair and skinny ties, a little sniffing of the white lady while wearing pink shirts type dudes yet still having a little of the classic Yes within the sound like Hearts, Shoot high and endless dream... the fact crotales made it into some of the mixes keeps in the prog zone for me... and tony and his hammond... just great stuff and he was from the first line up, how cool is that.

I remember when 90125 first came out, I ran to the record shop to buy it... I wen't in and ask the guy... "hey man, you got the new Yes album" he says Yes, it's on the wall with all the new releases, so I go to the wall of new records and there is about 12-15 new albums on the wall, on display... and I look, and I look and I look but can't find it... I looked at the wall for 5 minutes and could not find it so i said to the guy.. "hey, where is it" he goes.... "IT'S RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU".... so to make a long story short, I was looking for a Dean cover... of course... I was looking for some cosmic space craft drifting though purple fog along side a lush waterfall with dragon's or something... and THEN I SEE IT... I'm like WTF is that! it's just some silver thing with a colored "Y" on the back... I'm like , what the hell is this.... but of course I buy it and take it home and put myself in shock for about a day or two wondering what the heck is this... but it grew on me fast and I liked it, it fit my new short hair and pink shirt with a little alligator on it, the album worked. But I will never forget when I first wen't to buy it and could not find it.. even though it was right in front of me.

Sadly I could see the BigG album from across the room... not one of my favorites, but great music.

I often wonder... at the very end of the 90125 video, the guy from the 50's says... "ahhhhhh, the Rhythm of big generators".... I wonder if that was a hint of what was to come... or maybe did Trevor get the name for that album from that guy?????

still undefined

Quote Originally Posted by crotale2112 View Post
    I often wonder... at the very end of the 90125 video, the guy from the 50's says... "ahhhhhh, the Rhythm of big generators".... I wonder if that was a hint of what was to come... or maybe did Trevor get the name for that album from that guy?????
    Chris did say in an interview of that time that was where the name for BigGen came from.
    "(Their current bassist looks like he's a Dungeon Master into ham radio & I love it)"
    - carrotfleur

Chris did say in an interview of that time that was where the name for BigGen came from.
    Cool! I never knew that and have been wondering for years now... it is a great video, I love the effects and if I'm not mistaken, it was up for a video award and almost won, but I think Squire's said once that Sting got in the way of that award...

still undefined

Quote Originally Posted by 1yesfan View Post
    It has been said MANY times. But did he really. Sure he came along at the right time with the right music for that era. But really, the band had broke up, changes personnel many times. Who says that does not happen sometime in the 80's?
    They never made more money. Never. Ever.

So every single one of them made out.

Even today.

ooooohhhhhhh the 80's... I still play with my Rubik cube, still have a hard time with it... Squire was quite smug in this video... soooooooooo cool man :)

All this photo needs is Trevor in Black leather and a Yellow shirt. :) even though he wasn't on this album but he was working with Jon on the 3 ships around this time..... I think.

still undefined

Would Tony Kaye have resurfaced had it not been for the 90125 lineup invite? I kinda doubt he would have ever had that much exposure.. I'm quite certain after the dust had settled with Jon's solo work and Steve's stint with Asia / GTR that a AHWSW lineup would have happened at some point..

Quote Originally Posted by crotale2112 View Post
    Cool! I never knew that and have been wondering for years now... it is a great video, I love the effects and if I'm not mistaken, it was up for a video award and almost won, but I think Squire's said once that Sting got in the way of that award...
    Yes, Sting's Bring On The Night edged out 9012Live for the Best Long-Form Music Video Grammy in 1987. And to be fair, I saw both and even I think Bring On The Night is better because it's actually a movie. 9012Live is a concert film which I dearly love but it's totally different.

And also: that was the best band Sting ever had as a solo artist.
    Last edited by luna65; 5 Days Ago at 08:17 PM.
    - carrotfleur

My hovercraft is full of eels Grey Wolf's Avatar

No, but he did save his heart for you.
    Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
    What, me worry?
    TEAKBOIS is Everywhere!

Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Blencathra View Post
    Yes, I'm a case in point of that. My love of Yes revolves around the 70s classic lineup and those great albums from the 70s. For me, Yes is Anderson, Squire and Howe. But I discovered the band through 90125 and had it not been for Trevor Rabin I would probably have never even heard of them. There must be many who share the same story.
    My story is similar, but not exactly the same. I am 50 so a little too young for the full effect of the 70s. I definitely remember a lot of the 70's stuff on the radio during the very early 1980s (e.g., roundabout, starship trooper, etc.). None of it really caught my ear much. Of course I remember when 90125 came out because OOALH was everywhere. I still didn't care. Then, in 1985, my college room mate had a cassette tape of 90125. For the hell it, I put it on one day. When I heard "Hold On" I thought the vocals and the vocal arrangement were amazing. I must have listened to whole album multiple times that day. I couldn't believe it. Within a short period of time after that, I owned every Yes album and they quickly became my favorite band. When I went back and heard songs like Starship Trooper, I heard them a whole new way. I was hooked.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast