Google

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you enjoy any other bands as much (or more?) than you enjoy Yes?

Mega Yesfan

Do you enjoy any other bands as much (or more?) than you enjoy Yes?

I am curious where others stand. I am not referring to individual songs or even albums, but more the "big picture" of the entire body of work and what it means to you.

For me, I would have to answer the question with a "no." The closest would be Gentle Giant. Depending on the day you ask me, I think about 90% of the time I would respond with Yes as my clear favorite, and maybe 10% of the time
    it would be a tie between Yes and GG. The next tier down for me would include bands like The Flower Kings, King Crimson, echolyn, Yezda Urfa, and Moon Safari. Although I love all of these bands, they never quite take me to the emotional heights of the best Yes music (whatever the best Yes music means to you). What about for you?

Super Mega Yesfan popeyebonaparte's Avatar

Re: Do you enjoy any other bands as much (or more?) than you enjoy Yes?

I love Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Oasis, etc. Yes mean something much deeper to me personally though but as far as listening to music goes, definetely.
    Peace, love, long live rock n roll

I like Hackett touring the Genesis and his stuff over the last 5 years A LOT. I like ELO, ELP, RUSH, BRIT Floyd to name a few, but YES still wins the prize.
    "YES" - Music that could make God cry with joy. Either you get it or you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post
    I love Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Oasis, etc. Yes mean something much deeper to me personally though but as far as listening to music goes, definetely.
    From your avatar, it looks like you would enjoy 'Kung Fu Fighting'.
    yadda~yadda - "It's the sound they make in Heaven. It's the sound for here on Earth. I hear it in the whispering of the Wonders that we search."

London (and sometimes Dharamasala, India)

Yes are a clear favourite, but it is only because of their 70s output. Their later releases would not have given them anything like that status in my heart. Of the classic bands/artists Pink Floyd, Genesis, KC, Led Zeppelin, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Rush, Steely Dan, Hawkwind, Gong and Magma come close.

Then there is Solstice, who most definitely have my heart. I've seen them way more than any other band (40 times, about double the number of times I've seen Yes), and will see them whenever I get the chance.

More recently, one band has recently seriously grabbed my attention, and your point about entire body of work is highly apposite here, even though I've not yet heard this band's entire album back catalogue yet. The band is Motorpsycho from Norway. They have released 22 studio albums (six of which double) since 1991 (and numerous EPs), of which I have 11 (and a couple of EPs). Of the 11 I have (the earliest released in 1997 and the most recent in 2017), I can only say that one of them doesn't quite do it for me as an album, although it has a number of tracks that do. The other albums are all superb, some of them stunning. But it is the "big picture" you refer to that is especially important here, because this band have grown and developed, changed and evolved with evey album. Their style is eclectic, drawing on numerous genres, but they are definitely a rock band - heavy, hard, psychedelic, progressive, jazz, indie, grunge, post-punk, post-rock, even country! ... They do not seem to compromise, they're unusually prolific, and on tour they play different sets each night - not just switching out the odd track here and there, but having at least twice as many songs ready to go than they need for an evening. On the nine dates they played during the first leg of the current tour, they played 2 1/2 hours each night but over those nine dates played five hours' worth of different material. Moreover, they are known for including improvisational jams as part of their live performance. These guys are the real deal, not just for their modus operandi, but for the incredible music they make.
    26/10/77 (Wembley); 26/10/78 (Wembley); 14/12/80 and 16/12/80 (Hammersmith); 11/7/84 and 12/7/84 (Wembley); 8/12/87 (Montreal); 23/8/89 (ABWH - Ottawa); ... The Wilderness Years ...; 16/6/04 (Wembley); 17/11/09 (Hammersmith); 17/11/11 (Hammersmith); 26/3/13, 27/3/13 and 29/3/13 (Cruise to the Edge); 8/4/14 and 9/4/14 (Cruise to the Edge); 8/5/14 (Royal Albert Hall); 15/11/15 and 16/11/15 (Cruise to the Edge); 10/5/16 (Royal Albert Hall); 19/3/17 (ARW - Hammersmith)

Beatles, Floyd, King Crimson, Miles Davis, Jaco Pastorius, Weather Report, Gabriel Genesis.

Frank Zappa, Early Eric Clapton. Ginger Baker.

Bowie.The Clash.

But Yes is my go to.

Did I Mention the fabulous Sly Stone in all incarnations?

Likewise George Clinton and any of his Funk Effect.
    Last edited by weams; 1 Week Ago at 02:13 PM.

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

Absolutely. I love Pink Floyd as much as Yes, for example. And there are various other bands/artists I am a long-time die-hard know-way-too-much-about fan of. I love music and I don't limit myself to just one band, much less one genre.

Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    Did I Mention the fabulous Sly Stone in all incarnations?
    See I'm a conditional fan...after 1973 I feel like Sly lost the plot there for a while. But was he a genius? Hell yes.
    "(Their current bassist looks like he's a Dungeon Master into ham radio & I love it)"
    - carrotfleur

http://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    Absolutely. I love Pink Floyd as much as Yes, for example. And there are various other bands/artists I am a long-time die-hard know-way-too-much-about fan of. I love music and I don't limit myself to just one band, much less one genre.

See I'm a conditional fan...after 1973 I feel like Sly lost the plot there for a while. But was he a genius? Hell yes.
    I'm unconditional Sly.

"(Their current bassist looks like he's a Dungeon Master into ham radio & I love it)"
    - carrotfleur

Mega Yesfan

I probably should have specified rock bands or even progressive rock bands. I am a jazz fan first and foremost. So, for rock, I can't say I have ever found anything that quite equals Yes for me.

Super Mega Yesfan popeyebonaparte's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cjreyes View Post
    From your avatar, it looks like you would enjoy 'Kung Fu Fighting'.
    That is in fact Roger Waters.
    Peace, love, long live rock n roll

I have an intense passion for like 15 artists, and then everything else barely interests me. It's like, once I'm on board, I'm REALLY on board.

Yes is in my top ten, and sometimes they hit #1 when I'm really into them. Other top-tier artists for me, whose entire catalogs I listen to:

Phish
    Beatles
    They Might Be Giants
    Clutch
    Prince
    Rush
    The Monkees
    Kiss
    Van Halen

JR Yesfan

My tastes are all over the place, Yes are definitely a top 5 band for me, but "big picture"-wise, Rush is first and foremost (see screen name); then there are a few bands that are kind of tied with Yes for second, and the order changes based on moods, etc.; Black Sabbath, Dream Theater, The Doors, and The Clash have all been favorite bands of mine at some point in my life, and are all bands I hold in high regard.

Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post
    That is in fact Roger Waters.
    Ahhhhh, facts! Finally.
    yadda~yadda - "It's the sound they make in Heaven. It's the sound for here on Earth. I hear it in the whispering of the Wonders that we search."

Quote Originally Posted by RickH View Post
    I probably should have specified rock bands or even progressive rock bands.
    I have a holy trinity of Prog, which is PF, Yes and Genesis. But there are other prog bands I really love as well. And lately I can't seem to stop listening to Headspace because they are awesome.
    - carrotfleur

Insane Yesfan

Zappa is the bee's knees. As much as I've been a Yes fan for 44 years, their general decline has mirrored my declining devotion in recent years. The 70s music, ground-breaking on so many levels, remains close to my heart, but since then it's been patchy, regressive at times, facile even, or just downright forgettably-bland.
    So, FZ owns me now.

Mega Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Don the Cap View Post
    Zappa is the bee's knees. As much as I've been a Yes fan for 44 years, their general decline has mirrored my declining devotion in recent years. The 70s music, ground-breaking on so many levels, remains close to my heart, but since then it's been patchy, regressive at times, facile even, or just downright forgettably-bland.
    So, FZ owns me now.
    Interesting. I have kind of gone up and down with Yes too. I didn't listen to Yes much at all between about 2002 or so and FFH. There was no particular reason. I guess I just needed a break from the same songs for so many years. My interest was renewed with FFH. Then it declined again after Benoit David's departure. YesF has greatly renewed my interest once again.

Super Mega Insane Yesfan Sharp on Attack's Avatar

The only band I'm obsessed about is YES. There are many bands and musicians I love (Beatles, KC, Caravan, Zappa, BöC, Deep Purple, GG, Allan Holdsworth, Stereolab, Can, etc) but none are close.

Pianist/Pandemoniumist pianozach's Avatar

Beatles
    Paul McCartney
    George Harrison
    Chicago
    Jethro Tull
    ELP
    Chris Squire
    late Genesis
    early Iron Butterfly
    Led Zeppelin
    Mamas & the Papas
    Pentatonix