Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: ARW recent ticket sales.

Super Insane Yesfan Don the Cap's Avatar

Re: ARW recent ticket sales.

Quote Originally Posted by relayerone View Post
    I dunno. They were great in the Progeny era, but geez they were sloppy, and certain things, like ongoing LOUD tuning up all the time and dead air between songs always strikes me as a little unprofessional.
    I bought the whole enchilada but haven't listened to any of it in ages.
    Now give me a Progeny box set from the '78-79 Tormato/10th Anniversary tours, exactly the same lineup but now we're talking a truly *GREAT* Yes era.
    I've been revisiting Progeny over the last few days. What's 'unprofessional' about tuning up? No digital tuning gizmos back then, they had to do it be ear, and 'dead air' between the songs? So what!?
    Take me back to when it was raw, and a bit frenzied, and frequently on the verge of going out of control.

JR Yesfan, senior Yes fan khatrooper's Avatar

Canada2 Re: ARW recent ticket sales.

I dunno. They were great in the Progeny era, but geez they were sloppy, and certain things, like ongoing LOUD tuning up all the time and dead air between songs always strikes me as a little unprofessional.
    I bought the whole enchilada but haven't listened to any of it in ages.
    Now give me a Progeny box set from the '78-79 Tormato/10th Anniversary tours, exactly the same lineup but now we're talking a truly *GREAT* Yes era.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don the Cap View Post
    I've been revisiting Progeny over the last few days. What's 'unprofessional' about tuning up? No digital tuning gizmos back then, they had to do it be ear, and 'dead air' between the songs? So what!?
    Take me back to when it was raw, and a bit frenzied, and frequently on the verge of going out of control.
    I dunno, gotta agree with Don the.
    Sloppy? Because they were young, strong & a bit crazy, pushing their limits. That is why the Progeny box is such a treat. I think / fear a 78 - 79 box set would reveal a too well oiled machine, with performances nearly identical night after night.
    And tuning up shows respect for the audience and the music.
    And re Dead Air, programming Moogs, changing tapes in Mellotrons, changing effects settings individual and main PA, cuing up sound effects tapes..., and IMO the vibe was better when Jon let the music do most of the speaking, no blabbing on about the Planet Zongo and faeries from the 6th dimension, just to fill the 'dead air'.

Super Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by khatrooper View Post
    I dunno, gotta agree with Don the.
    Sloppy? Because they were young, strong & a bit crazy, pushing their limits. That is why the Progeny box is such a treat. I think / fear a 78 - 79 box set would reveal a too well oiled machine, with performances nearly identical night after night.
    And tuning up shows respect for the audience and the music.
    And re Dead Air, programming Moogs, changing tapes in Mellotrons, changing effects settings individual and main PA, cuing up sound effects tapes..., and IMO the vibe was better when Jon let the music do most of the speaking, no blabbing on about the Planet Zongo and faeries from the 6th dimension, just to fill the 'dead air'.
    Is the problem that all of these studio musicians calling themselves "Yes" being seen for what it is by the ticket buying public?

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow Yes Too View Post
    Is the problem that all of these studio musicians calling themselves "Yes" being seen for what it is by the ticket buying public?
    I don't think so, if only because both bands have at least two members (Alan and Steve, and Jon And Rick and Trevor) in long standing with the band. Were those five to leave/retire, then in my opinion, your view would be spot-on.

Michael

It would be great if they were always the same but look at Steely Dan. Always different and would even try out different guitarists to see who's solo would work the best for a song. Steely Dan were only two guys the same from start to finish. Now that Donald Fagen is the only one left will there ever be another Steely Dan?

Quote Originally Posted by TwinArchers View Post
    It would be great if they were always the same but look at Steely Dan. Always different and would even try out different guitarists to see who's solo would work the best for a song. Steely Dan were only two guys the same from start to finish. Now that Donald Fagen is the only one left will there ever be another Steely Dan?
    Steely Dan? Always different? Really? They.started out with a formulaic slickness, and stuck it with throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinArchers View Post
    Listen to Donald Fagen's 'solo' albums and get back to me on that.
    yadda~yadda - "It's the sound they make in Heaven. It's the sound for here on Earth. I hear it in the whispering of the Wonders that we search."

dreamland connecticut. to the left of the garden of geda

Steely Dan? Always different? Really? They.started out with a formulaic slickness, and stuck it with throughout.
    I must agree... I find there sound and style extremely repetitive, not a fan at all.

I wonder though... if anyone here at Yesfans, mostly the fans in there late 50's& 60's ever really used a Steely dan, I have heard tall tales about them and there construction, they took 3 or 4 C sized batteries.....hhhhmmmmmmm....

still undefined

Quote Originally Posted by cjreyes View Post
    Listen to Donald Fagen's 'solo' albums and get back to me on that.
    I hear a difference in style. Yes his voice his most recognisable, yes it mixes jazz/pop/funk, but I recognise Fagen solo from Steely Dan anytime.
    ReAwaken (after the Bethlehem Sands concert 2016):
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

Nothing wrong with slickness if it's paired with incredible song writing and incredible playing, like with Steely Dan.

Oh, and Aja for example sounds vastly different to The Royal Scam. There absolutely is a certain flow and development through their albums and one album following another might not have a very different sound to its predecessor, but their last two albums sound very different from their first two for example.
    Last edited by Mr. Holland; 10-22-2017 at 04:11 AM.
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow Yes Too View Post
    I really think you're being way too harsh on Yesfeaturing......

Quote Originally Posted by crotale2112 View Post
    I must agree... I find there sound and style extremely repetitive, not a fan at all.

I wonder though... if anyone here at Yesfans, mostly the fans in there late 50's& 60's ever really used a Steely dan, I have heard tall tales about them and there construction, they took 3 or 4 C sized batteries.....hhhhmmmmmmm....
    Well, you can get just about anything off the internet........a man should have a hobby.

Mega Insane Yesfan Doctor Flang's Avatar

In way the dead air between songs and tuning up was part of the show during the seventies. Most bands usually started the show that way! Ritchie Blackmore sometimes tuned up his guitar, not before or after, but during a song, and he did it as loud as he could!

Guitarists and bass players got no tuner pedals or anything like that in those days, and moogs and mellotrons were notorius for going out of tune all the time. They simply had to tune up, leaving the poor singers to fill the dead air by telling jokes or something.

I don't mind as, long as the playing is as brilliant as it is on Yessong, Live at Leeds, Made in Japan, or on any Jimi Hendrix live recording. Or if the jokes are good.

I think Larry David and Steve Howe could do a good Steely Danish type song together. Tuba's included.

Quote Originally Posted by somissound View Post
    I think Larry David and Steve Howe could do a good Steely Danish type song together. Tuba's included.
    Danish? Like the Vikings? All that marauding ......

Danish? Like the Vikings? All that marauding ......
    Danish.

My hovercraft is full of eels Grey Wolf's Avatar

Danish?

Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
    Fly, Eagles, Fly!!!

Well, well, well, another day

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8