Google

Thread: YesF - 2017-Oct 4 Boston, MA Orpheum Theater

YesF - 2017-Oct 4 Boston, MA Orpheum Theater

Counting the minutes until I see the band and not looking forward to seeing Mr "I like them both for different reasons". He may have to re-enact a Game of Thrones scene hopefully clothed.

Re: YesF - 2017-Oct 4 Boston, MA Orpheum Theater

I hope all of my fellow New England Yesfans attending the show tonight have an awesome time tonight.
    Practice peace.

Quote Originally Posted by josuev80 View Post
    Counting the minutes until I see the band and not looking forward to seeing Mr "I like them both for different reasons". He may have to re-enact a Game of Thrones scene hopefully clothed.

Got to get a rain check on pain

Good show as expected/ After I saw them last year, I summarized in my review as Yes being more rigid and sticking much closer to the studio versions while YesF is more innovative, free flowing, and looser. The same holds true. Anderson's voice and aura at his age is amazing. Rabin has been more reverential to the classic songs than during his YesWest stint and his vocals have improved. Wakeman adds so much to Yes music that has been more or less missing since his departure in 2004. Pomeroy didn't have Fish to showcase his talents this tour but his presence was definitely felt on SSOTS, HOTS, and OOALH. Molino only got to showcase his stuff in the OOALH jam and a bit in Awaken. Good harmonies although I thought I had heard Rabin's voice crack once.

Highlights
    SSOTS - Great version, almost jazz-like in some parts. Pomeroy brought it to another level with a funky bass sound.
    YesWest material: All good renditions, full of energy. Wakeman adds a lot to these songs except for I Am Waiting
    OOALH: No walkaround but they ended up in one of the side balconies. Pomeroy had a great jam with him ending up on his back. Pomeroy, Rabin, and Wakeman jamming together was really good also.

Random Observations
    1) Stage lighting was much simpler than last year's show although I read that some people thought it was more elaborate this year. It may have to do with the venue
    2) Show started at about 7:45 which was surprising, but not complaining as I got home earlier on a work night
    3) Wakeman had a heavier sound in the solo parts of the beginning and the middle sections of Awaken
    4) Security was much laxer than the last Yes show I went to 2016 where it was almost a police state. Here, cellphones were not an issue, not that I can understand why anyone would want to watch most of a concert through a cellphone screen. The smell of weed was present in a small indoor venue
    5) Rabin was dressed more stylish than I saw in person last year and in any YouTube clips the last two years. Wakeman's cape was the best he has had at a Yes related show since ABWH. Jon was dressed about the same as he was last year.
    6) Rabin banged on a drum for part of Awaken which I didn't notice last year
    7) Anderson played the smallest triangle I have ever seen for a few songs.'
    8) Rabin's voice as noted by others is much stronger than last year.
    9) I didn't recognize the music preceding Hold On and I thought for a moment they were going to play a new songs, but no such luck.
    10) The show was not sold out according to one of the staff members. I would put it at least 90% based on what I saw but I could not see much of the balcony.

I think after reading comments on this site for the last year plus that many people have come around and appreciate this band. I think at this point, both Yes and YesF need to showcase some decent, new music instead of just being pure legacy bands. YesF needs to start mixing up the setlist bringing in other songs both old and new on the next tour

Sadly, I had tickets for a Yes show with no other bands that I was looking forward to but was canceled due to Virgil Howe's death. It would have been good to compare and contrast the two shows again this year. I am hoping they come back and finish up the tour when the Howes are up to it, but I don't think it will happen.
    Last edited by josuev80; 1 Week Ago at 11:23 PM.

Thanks for that review.
    ReAwaken (after the Bethlehem Sands concert 2016):
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

Nice to see a thoughtful, informative review! Those of us who could not make a show for one reason or another are always grateful to get an insightful account. Thanks and glad you had a good time!

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

OOALH: No walkaround but they ended up in one of the side balconies. Pomeroy had a great jam with him ending up on his back. Pomeroy, Rabin, and Wakeman jamming together was really good also.
    That was funny - not as funny as the airkissing, but I like how this routine keeps evolving.

1) Stage lighting was much simpler than last year's show although I read that some people thought it was more elaborate this year. It may have to do with the venue
    I will say, from all the photos and videos I have seen of this tour, the lighting design is absolutely more elaborate - they've got the full projections, and a bigger lighting rig. However, last year some audiences on the East Coast got more stuff before Smeeton was fired, so there might have been a similar experience for some. But the shows I saw last year, the lighting was very simple.
    "(Their current bassist looks like he's a Dungeon Master into ham radio & I love it)"
    - carrotfleur

http://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

Yea I saw two shows this time around, lighting effects. etc were much more. Last year was way simple.
    "YES" - Music that could make God cry with joy. Either you get it or you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by 1yesfan View Post
    Yea I saw two shows this time around, lighting effects. etc were much more. Last year was way simple.

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by 1yesfan View Post
    The Orpheum opened in 1852 and the stage is pretty small so they probably had to scale back the lighting and effects.

Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    That was funny - not as funny as the airkissing, but I like how this routine keeps evolving.

I will say, from all the photos and videos I have seen of this tour, the lighting design is absolutely more elaborate - they've got the full projections, and a bigger lighting rig. However, last year some audiences on the East Coast got more stuff before Smeeton was fired, so there might have been a similar experience for some. But the shows I saw last year, the lighting was very simple.
    There was a lot going on in the jam all over the place so there may have been air kissing. Plenty of people had cellphones up so maybe a video of it shows up.

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

Yeah I've seen a video - it seems like they're doing a different thing each night, with Rick and Trevor at some point looking at Lee, like, "Is that all you got?" and Lee reacting in a comical way and being too adorably precious for this world.
    "(Their current bassist looks like he's a Dungeon Master into ham radio & I love it)"
    - carrotfleur

http://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

Peace... is a word we teach

I had some very distant thoughts about attending this show, but I knew it wouldn't happen as long as I wasn't able to drive, let alone afford tickets, arrange a traveling schedule, actually enlist a friend or family member who doesn't hate Yes music to go see it... yeah. I still need to work on those if I want to see either Yes band in 2018.

But still, I'm glad y'all had a great time. Also, Jon A. played a tiny triangle? Good grief, now you have that stupid GEICO commercial back in my head.