Google

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Did I miss the the "what happened in Vegas" thread somewhere?

Is this some kind of sick joke? Tonto Goldstein's Avatar

Re: Did I miss the the "what happened in Vegas" thread somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris2210 View Post
    Every time something hideous such as this happens I always think it's going to be the straw that finally brakes the camel's back. But this dromedary seems to be an especially hardy MoFo.
    After the Sandy Hook tragedy, I gave up all hope. If that couldn't move people to adopt some kind of common sense approach, then nothing will.
    It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man. – H.L Mencken
    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. – Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Albedo View Post
    You have to be careful about the mental health argument. I brought it up in Facebook post once, and got absolutely pounded by an advocate for the disabled/ mentally ill who pointed out in no uncertain terms that most of the perpetrators are while males and not necessarily mentally ill in any conventional diagnosable sense of the term. Her problem was that I seemed to cast mentally ill people as the bad guys, which was not my intention. But I get her point, we don't want the mentally challenged or mentally ill to be the next out group either, the vast majority do not commit these crimes. But they are more likely to kill themselves and suicide is a large fraction of gun deaths.
    Understand that all mentally ill are not violent. I do not know if it's possible to be violent in the extreme, as this guy in Vegas was, and not be mentally ill. I would say he probably was, but the court's definition may differ from a doctor's definition. In order to stand trial in court, you just have to be cognizant of who you are and what you did. I think you can be mentally ill and meet that definition. I say all this because I just know too many people who are mentally ill, and realize that the state of treatment for same is sorely lacking. Heck, the state of diagnosis is sorely lacking! It's just an area of health that they haven't figured out how to totally diagnose and treat yet, and needs a lot of work! Maybe in time.
    Now that our server bill is just $85/month, we won't be doing donation drives; however, the occasional donation is still appreciated to make sure we keep Yesfans up and running! Please do what you can, when you can - thanks! http://www.yesfans.com/donations.htm

And if you can't have a totally sane populace, then I do think the next best thing is to keep the guns away from folks! We need to take a lesson from these terrible incidents and institute sensible gun control laws.
    Now that our server bill is just $85/month, we won't be doing donation drives; however, the occasional donation is still appreciated to make sure we keep Yesfans up and running! Please do what you can, when you can - thanks! http://www.yesfans.com/donations.htm

In the frozen wilds of NorthernEnglandsetshire

Diane, if I might say, the trouble is with guns, the mentally ill are the thinnest part of the wedge [and heaven alone know, our streets and our prisons are over endowed with those facing mental health challenges]. Putting casual lethal force into the hands of the criminally intent, or just the plain nervous or careless, is a recipe for disaster.

Severely restricting gun ownership will spoil some people's perfectly legitimate fun. Balance that against the thousands of lives you would save... It's not the fun, it's the profit that's in the way.

Insane Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Mostly Harmless View Post
    As I mentioned, all of his weapons are legal. Assault weapons are not legal. He does not own assault rifles. Also, your previous post did not specify assault rifles; you just said that anyone who owns more than 10 guns must have some kind of complex. I think that is a gross generalization. I think there are a lot of regular American that own more than 10 guns who do not have a complex or mental health issues.

Please don't get me wrong, I support common sense gun legislation.
    Common sense gun legislation would be not letting anyone a own a firearm that isn't needed for their job. Find another outlet for your recreational needs, and stop fetishising firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Don the Cap View Post
    Common sense gun legislation would be not letting anyone a own a firearm that isn't needed for their job. Find another outlet for your recreational needs, and stop fetishising firearms.
    I say we start with banning all semi-automatic and automatic weapons sales to the public. Anyone wanting to purchase a gun must undergo a thorough background check, similar to those that are performed for security clearances. All gun owners should be placed on a state registry, just like we have for cars. And no gun should be sold that has the capacity to fire more than 6 bullets without re-loading. Ammo sales should be regulated as well.
    Practice peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Mostly Harmless View Post
    I say we start with banning all semi-automatic and automatic weapons sales to the public. Anyone wanting to purchase a gun must undergo a thorough background check, similar to those that are performed for security clearances. All gun owners should be placed on a state registry, just like we have for cars. And no gun should be sold that has the capacity to fire more than 6 bullets without re-loading. Ammo sales should be regulated as well.
    yadda~yadda - "It's the sound they make in Heaven. It's the sound for here on Earth. I hear it in the whispering of the Wonders that we search."

SR Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Don the Cap View Post
    Maybe the purpose of bazillion assault guns is to watch the 99 percenters just bop each other off. That way the sound of belly aching from the masses goes down by one decibel. Not enough to save their ears but enough to feel they made a difference.

SR Yesfan

In other words the 99 percenters have very bad aim.

Lol

Let's not make "Mental Health" a third rail topic. People act like it's some sacred ground type of subject that has to be handled with kid gloves so that everyone's sensibilities don't get hurt. THIS approach perpetuates the stigma.

I will offer up that in the year 2017 damn near everyone on the planet could be diagnosed with some form of phobia, condition, _____itis. What I said earlier I stand by. Unless someone is TRUELY just a collector (which could border hoarding), feeling the need to own (I threw out 10 as an arbitrary number, you pick) number of guns might be a sign of a mental health issue.

Alcoholism, addiction of al kinds, dysfunctional families, perversions, greed, gluttony, etc. Who the HELL is well adjusted anymore.

Our gun culture mythology is a sickness in my mind sorry.
    Last edited by SeeTheDesert; 3 Hours Ago at 11:19 AM.
    What's conservative about people not paying their fair share in taxes, giving tax cuts to the wealthy and constantly putting the tax burden on the shrinking middle class?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7