Google
 


Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 132

Thread: Did I miss the the "what happened in Vegas" thread somewhere?

  1. #1
    46 24'51.5"N 84 33'42"W Kathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    above the 45th parallel
    Posts
    772
    Rep Power
    107374450

    Did I miss the the "what happened in Vegas" thread somewhere?

    If I did, my apologies, but it's in "The News", so what the hey. ..

    I won't rehash the news portion, but when I had to look away from this disaster (I hate crying) I had a few thoughts..

    I always told my husband when I was traveling for music that nothing bad would happen because I'm going to see Yes (usually, but I'll travel for other prog bands, too).
    Also said if something DOES happen, it had DAMNED well better happen AFTER MY SHOW. Always said if I saw my show before I 'checked out' (for whatever reason) he'd know I died Happy.

    These people only got about 4 minutes of the headliners first tune before that moron non-human started shooting, and silly as it may seem, THAT PISSED ME OFF BAD!!!
    (it's always easier for me to be angry than sad, I guess )
    Of course the entire piece of shyte was absolutely uncalled for, but DAMN..
    Couldn't he have let them have their show before he decided to play god?
    (Please don't flame me-I'm just relating my thought process -or lack thereof-watching this unfold)

    Also, I know that it isn't a 'contest' for the "largest mass shooting in USA history", but I have questions. ...

    Was USA a country in 1890?
    Benjamin Harrison was president, so I'm thinking we were a country, right?
    Was tv around in 1890?
    Do only the "mass shootings" that happened after tv count?

    There is a large contingent of Native Americans where I live, yet not ONE has mentioned this-nor has one radio /tv/Internet news source mentioned this either :

    On December 29, 1890, more than 250 and possibly up to 300 Native Americans in South Dakota were gunned down-slaughtered by the U.S. military.
    Many were women and children.
    The body count can't be corroborated because the Officials dumped em in a mass grave & bulldozed the dirt on top...

    I'm just wondering why nobody is reporting this "biggest mass shooting" accurately.
    Is it because they considered the Natives non-human?

    Sigh..

    I know none of this musing helps at all, except for taking my mind off the very real and horribly hideous shyte that went down in Vegas..
    Thanks for reading, everyone. .
    Peace and healing to our nation....
    "We are ALL of One Tribe-Earthlings."





  2. #2
    Mega Yesfan OB1kenOB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    The Ozarks
    Age
    59
    Posts
    498
    Rep Power
    107374490

    Re: Did I miss the the "what happened in Vegas" thread somewhere?

    We were in Vegas from Thursday until Sunday. Met up with some family from L.A. Saw Depeche Mode at T Mobile Arena Saturday night.
    Spent the whole week end around all the properties you are seeing on the videos. Mandalay Bay, Luxor, Excalibur, Tropicana. Every time we were outside we were in site of that side of Mandalay Bay. We could see that side of Mandalay Bay from our room at MGM.
    What a shock it was to wake up Monday and see what had happened right after we left.

    There is some interesting commentary on the current state of humanity on the new Depeche Mode album, Spirit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxv9...UD_0BFCkNFZ7Ix
    That which you are seeking, is causing you to seek !

  3. #3
    Pianist/Pandemoniumist pianozach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Electric Ladyland
    Posts
    9,726
    Rep Power
    107374918

    Re: Did I miss the the "what happened in Vegas" thread somewhere?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kathi View Post
    If I did, my apologies, but it's in "The News", so what the hey. ..

    I won't rehash the news portion, but when I had to look away from this disaster (I hate crying) I had a few thoughts..

    I always told my husband when I was traveling for music that nothing bad would happen because I'm going to see Yes (usually, but I'll travel for other prog bands, too).
    Also said if something DOES happen, it had DAMNED well better happen AFTER MY SHOW. Always said if I saw my show before I 'checked out' (for whatever reason) he'd know I died Happy.

    These people only got about 4 minutes of the headliners first tune before that moron non-human started shooting, and silly as it may seem, THAT PISSED ME OFF BAD!!!
    (it's always easier for me to be angry than sad, I guess )
    Of course the entire piece of shyte was absolutely uncalled for, but DAMN..
    Couldn't he have let them have their show before he decided to play god?
    (Please don't flame me-I'm just relating my thought process -or lack thereof-watching this unfold)

    Also, I know that it isn't a 'contest' for the "largest mass shooting in USA history", but I have questions. ...

    Was USA a country in 1890?
    Benjamin Harrison was president, so I'm thinking we were a country, right?
    Was tv around in 1890?
    Do only the "mass shootings" that happened after tv count?

    There is a large contingent of Native Americans where I live, yet not ONE has mentioned this-nor has one radio /tv/Internet news source mentioned this either :

    On December 29, 1890, more than 250 and possibly up to 300 Native Americans in South Dakota were gunned down-slaughtered by the U.S. military.
    Many were women and children.
    The body count can't be corroborated because the Officials dumped em in a mass grave & bulldozed the dirt on top...

    I'm just wondering why nobody is reporting this "biggest mass shooting" accurately.
    Is it because they considered the Natives non-human?

    Sigh..

    I know none of this musing helps at all, except for taking my mind off the very real and horribly hideous shyte that went down in Vegas..
    Thanks for reading, everyone. .
    Peace and healing to our nation....
    They're all now using the phrase "in recent history" so they won't have to go back and rehash Wounded Knee.
    ---Pianozach---

    ". . . Be the change you wish to see in the world." —Ghandi

    http://www.pianozach.com/ under re-construction
    http://www.macjams.com/artist/bigidea
    and a new MacJams page: http://www.macjams.com/artist/pianozach

  4. #4
    YES and YES , two YES's from me
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,425
    Rep Power
    107374345

    Re: Did I miss the the "what happened in Vegas" thread somewhere?

    Awful and tragic
    When will the U S change their gun laws ?
    EG you can't buy an automatic but you can purchase a semi automatic and buy the adaptor to make it one
    Just one of the illustrations in the UK media yesterday
    Last edited by sherwoodfish1; 10-05-2017 at 04:15 AM.

  5. #5
    Mega Yesfan
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    18° Polar Star west
    Age
    49
    Posts
    341
    Rep Power
    107374472

    Re: Did I miss the the "what happened in Vegas" thread somewhere?

    Many people I know think they need a gun to be truly free as if they could fight off the military with their personal arsenal.

  6. #6
    Disciple Stever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Vegas
    Age
    60
    Posts
    3,842
    Rep Power
    107374655

    Re: Did I miss the the "what happened in Vegas" thread somewhere?

    >>>>>>deleted

    f it
    sorry
    I should have known better than to even open this thread on my machine.
    I'm off it.

    If I offended anyone, truly sorry.

    Please pray for the families.
    Last edited by Stever; 10-04-2017 at 10:40 PM. Reason: sucked
    Drifting endlessly,

    Peace, SteveR


    http://www.myspace.com/skroehr

  7. #7
    Pianist/Pandemoniumist pianozach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Electric Ladyland
    Posts
    9,726
    Rep Power
    107374918

    Re: Did I miss the the "what happened in Vegas" thread somewhere?

    I have some very well formed opinions related to this latest massacre.

    But as far as having relationships with people involved in the Las Vegas shootings, it's pretty remarkable how I'm only 2 degrees of separation away.

    5 people killed lived in my county, two of them in my city. One of them works for the same school district I do.

    One of these people was at the concert with his girlfriend from another county. Both of them were killed.

    A friend who grew up in the area was friends with one of the people killed.

    A friend of mine's nephew was shot twice (in the leg and the butt). He wasn't critical, and after half a day was transported to a hospital in L.A. for surgery to remove one of the bullets.

    A much younger friend's former freshman roommate at a local college was "shot multiple times". I have no updates on this young lady.

    And my niece is a nurse on duty at a hospital that treated 180 patients from the shooting, 14 of which did not survive.

    And as time goes on I'll probably discover more connections.
    ---Pianozach---

    ". . . Be the change you wish to see in the world." —Ghandi

    http://www.pianozach.com/ under re-construction
    http://www.macjams.com/artist/bigidea
    and a new MacJams page: http://www.macjams.com/artist/pianozach

  8. #8
    Insane Yesfan SeeTheDesert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tucson
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,414
    Rep Power
    107374296

    Re: Did I miss the the "what happened in Vegas" thread somewhere?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stever View Post
    I live in Las Vegas, and though I didn't lose anybody, I came close on two family members. I haven't been posting on our tragedy out here because I don't want to be yet another talking head. And like the largest majority of Las Vegans we resent the hell out of any and all political spin or ideology gouging by media.

    It's a horrible thing. We won't know the full story for some time, if ever. And nobody around here is interested in tired leftist propaganda about gun control. Human impersonator Hillary Clinton's first tweet after our massacre was "“Imagine the deaths if the shooter had a silencer, which the NRA wants to make easier to get.” That was kind of the last straw with me on leftist politics and politicians in general.

    Not what we were looking for.

    Not what families wanted to hear.

    Not what the people standing in line to give blood needed to hear.
    Respect your opinion but I disagree wholebeartedly. If ever there is a time its when these things happen.

    I dont know you and this is not an attack on you or your beliefs but simply on your staements. Just because you happen to live in the city this happened i does not mean your opinion is more.valid.thn anyone elses. Sorry.

    We had a "Wacko with a gun incident" here in Tucson a few years ago and I never thought that. I have also lost a stepson to a suicide with a gun. My guts wants.to tell anyone who hasnt gone thru that that my opinion matters more. My intellect says thats wrong.

    We're. A gun crazy nation and itz out of control.
    What's conservative about people not paying their fair share in taxes, giving tax cuts to the wealthy and constantly putting the tax burden on the shrinking middle class?

  9. #9
    Fishing Yesfan Mostly Harmless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    west of G-Vegas
    Age
    53
    Posts
    12,759
    Rep Power
    107375053

    Re: Did I miss the the "what happened in Vegas" thread somewhere?

    You can bet if the shooter was a Muslim, the right wing propaganda machine would be just as quick to politicize. In fact, that exactly what hey did after Pulse nightclub shooting.

    I actually think we should be politicizing the mass shootings more as well, but without ever using the name of the shooter. That dude deserves no press. But too many times we keep putting this on the back burner. The fact is that most Americans support common sense gun laws. As long as the gun lobby continues to buy the votes, this will continue. We certainly can't get in the way of the profit machine......
    Practice peace.

  10. #10
    Pianist/Pandemoniumist pianozach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Electric Ladyland
    Posts
    9,726
    Rep Power
    107374918

    Re: Did I miss the the "what happened in Vegas" thread somewhere?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stever View Post


    It's a horrible thing. We won't know the full story for some time, if ever. And nobody around here is interested in tired leftist propaganda about gun control. Human impersonator Hillary Clinton's first tweet after our massacre was "“Imagine the deaths if the shooter had a silencer, which the NRA wants to make easier to get.” That was kind of the last straw with me on leftist politics and politicians in general.

    Hillary's comments about legislation regulating silencers were poorly timed and poorly worded.

    Silencers were apparently NOT involved in this latest massacre.

    But I think that the semi-automatic weapons and the kits that allow them to be converted into automatic weapons were never even imagined in the 18th Century when the Constitution and the 2nd Amendment in the Bill of Rights were conceived.

    Silencers? Even though there's no direct link between silencers and this latest massacre, there should definitely be a discussion.

    Background checks and waiting periods? Yes.

    Permits? Of course.

    NEVADA Gun 'fun facts':

    Did you know that you don't need a permit to buy or own a gun in Nevada?

    Did you know that there's no limit on the number of guns a person can buy at one time?

    Did you know that carrying an unconcealed firearm in public is legal?

    Did you know that there is no mandated waiting period before buying a gun?

    Did you know that you can bring a gun to a polling place, a casino or a bar?
    ---Pianozach---

    ". . . Be the change you wish to see in the world." —Ghandi

    http://www.pianozach.com/ under re-construction
    http://www.macjams.com/artist/bigidea
    and a new MacJams page: http://www.macjams.com/artist/pianozach

  11. #11
    Insane Yesfan SeeTheDesert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tucson
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,414
    Rep Power
    107374296

    Re: Did I miss the the "what happened in Vegas" thread somewhere?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mostly Harmless View Post
    You can bet if the shooter was a Muslim, the right wing propaganda machine would be just as quick to politicize. In fact, that exactly what hey did after Pulse nightclub shooting.

    I actually think we should be politicizing the mass shootings more as well, but without ever using the name of the shooter. That dude deserves no press. But too many times we keep putting this on the back burner. The fact is that most Americans support common sense gun laws. As long as the gun lobby continues to buy the votes, this will continue. We certainly can't get in the way of the profit machine......
    No doubt. And the NRA and far Righters feed the public so much Propaganda it's unreal. Remember when Obama got elected? He was going to do away with the second amendment and he was going to stop sales of ammo?

    Well the POTUS can't just write out something in the Constitution and the shortage of Ammon was Law Enforcement stocking up in case of civil unrest because we had a "Controversial" POTUS now.
    What's conservative about people not paying their fair share in taxes, giving tax cuts to the wealthy and constantly putting the tax burden on the shrinking middle class?

  12. #12
    SR Mega Yesfan Mr. Holland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Hoofddorp, the Netherlands
    Age
    44
    Posts
    25,007
    Rep Power
    107375713

    Re: Did I miss the the "what happened in Vegas" thread somewhere?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mostly Harmless View Post
    You can bet if the shooter was a Muslim, the right wing propaganda machine would be just as quick to politicize. In fact, that exactly what hey did after Pulse nightclub shooting.

    I actually think we should be politicizing the mass shootings more as well, but without ever using the name of the shooter. That dude deserves no press. But too many times we keep putting this on the back burner. The fact is that most Americans support common sense gun laws. As long as the gun lobby continues to buy the votes, this will continue. We certainly can't get in the way of the profit machine......
    Spot on post!
    ReAwaken (after the Bethlehem Sands concert 2016):
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

  13. #13
    Fishing Yesfan Mostly Harmless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    west of G-Vegas
    Age
    53
    Posts
    12,759
    Rep Power
    107375053

    Re: Did I miss the the "what happened in Vegas" thread somewhere?

    Quote Originally Posted by pianozach View Post
    Hillary's comments about legislation regulating silencers were poorly timed and poorly worded.

    Silencers were apparently NOT involved in this latest massacre.

    But I think that the semi-automatic weapons and the kits that allow them to be converted into automatic weapons were never even imagined in the 18th Century when the Constitution and the 2nd Amendment in the Bill of Rights were conceived.

    Silencers? Even though there's no direct link between silencers and this latest massacre, there should definitely be a discussion.

    Background checks and waiting periods? Yes.

    Permits? Of course.

    NEVADA Gun 'fun facts':

    Did you know that you don't need a permit to buy or own a gun in Nevada?

    Did you know that there's no limit on the number of guns a person can buy at one time?

    Did you know that carrying an unconcealed firearm in public is legal?

    Did you know that there is no mandated waiting period before buying a gun?

    Did you know that you can bring a gun to a polling place, a casino or a bar?
    You forgot one...

    Did you know that toy guns are banned from the Las Vegas strip, but real ones are not.
    Practice peace.

  14. #14
    Pianist/Pandemoniumist pianozach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Electric Ladyland
    Posts
    9,726
    Rep Power
    107374918

    Re: Did I miss the the "what happened in Vegas" thread somewhere?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mostly Harmless View Post
    You forgot one...

    Did you know that toy guns are banned from the Las Vegas strip, but real ones are not.
    Ah, yes. I'd heard that. Ironic, eh?
    ---Pianozach---

    ". . . Be the change you wish to see in the world." —Ghandi

    http://www.pianozach.com/ under re-construction
    http://www.macjams.com/artist/bigidea
    and a new MacJams page: http://www.macjams.com/artist/pianozach

  15. #15
    SR Mega Yesfan Mr. Holland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Hoofddorp, the Netherlands
    Age
    44
    Posts
    25,007
    Rep Power
    107375713

    Re: Did I miss the the "what happened in Vegas" thread somewhere?

    Quote Originally Posted by pianozach View Post
    Hillary's comments about legislation regulating silencers were poorly timed and poorly worded.

    Silencers were apparently NOT involved in this latest massacre.
    While perhaps poorly timed, Clinton did not say silencers WERE used in this latest massacre. She said “Imagine the deaths IF the shooter had a silencer, which the NRA wants to make easier to get.” And I think she has a point there. Because a lot of people were warned now by the sounds of the gunshots.
    ReAwaken (after the Bethlehem Sands concert 2016):
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

  16. #16
    SR Mega Yesfan Mr. Holland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Hoofddorp, the Netherlands
    Age
    44
    Posts
    25,007
    Rep Power
    107375713

    Re: Did I miss the the "what happened in Vegas" thread somewhere?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mostly Harmless View Post
    You forgot one...

    Did you know that toy guns are banned from the Las Vegas strip, but real ones are not.
    I'm sort of gobsmacked......
    ReAwaken (after the Bethlehem Sands concert 2016):
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

  17. #17
    SR Mega Yesfan Mr. Holland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Hoofddorp, the Netherlands
    Age
    44
    Posts
    25,007
    Rep Power
    107375713

    Re: Did I miss the the "what happened in Vegas" thread somewhere?

    Quote Originally Posted by pianozach View Post
    Ah, yes. I'd heard that. Ironic, eh?
    Cynical more than ironic I would say.....
    ReAwaken (after the Bethlehem Sands concert 2016):
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

  18. #18
    Fishing Yesfan Mostly Harmless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    west of G-Vegas
    Age
    53
    Posts
    12,759
    Rep Power
    107375053

    Re: Did I miss the the "what happened in Vegas" thread somewhere?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    While perhaps poorly timed, Clinton did not say silences WERE used in this latest massacre. She said “Imagine the deaths IF the shooter had a silencer, which the NRA wants to make easier to get.” And I think she has a point there. Because a lot of people were warned now by the sounds of the gunshots.
    There is a bill before congress right now....

    https://www.usnews.com/news/politics...vegas-shooting

    Her comments might actually be very well worded and very well timed.
    Practice peace.

  19. #19
    Fishing Yesfan Mostly Harmless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    west of G-Vegas
    Age
    53
    Posts
    12,759
    Rep Power
    107375053

    Re: Did I miss the the "what happened in Vegas" thread somewhere?

    Practice peace.

  20. #20
    Fishing Yesfan Mostly Harmless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    west of G-Vegas
    Age
    53
    Posts
    12,759
    Rep Power
    107375053

    Re: Did I miss the the "what happened in Vegas" thread somewhere?

    Practice peace.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •