Google

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Beatles Song of the Week 01-Oct-2017: Savoy Truffle (The Beatles/"White Album")

Please refill the can. Discount Ministry's Avatar

Beatles Song of the Week 01-Oct-2017: Savoy Truffle (The Beatles/"White Album")

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    ^^ Sweet!
    Exactly!

You are NEVER alone...BACON is your friend!

Re: Beatles Song of the Week 01-Oct-2017: Savoy Truffle (The Beatles/"White Album")

It's ridiculously hard to find a version actually done by the Beatles online that isn't part of a larger video or a snippet I've been finding in the time I've had to put this tread together...but Harrison's guitar and playful take on Eric Clapton's sweet tooth plight make for a delightful morsel that melts on your turntable (not the microwave, the phonograph).

Hey! Found a close cover! Or else it's a crappy recording.

Woohoo! (and oddly enough, I need a wisdom tooth extracted).

Again you hear McCartney's favorite sax lines that would be such a huge part of Wings later on...but you have a smidgeon od really scorching guitar running through that 30 seconds or so that makes the list of confectionary treats listed in the lyrics even tastier.

Sounds like a bad eight track in Cheech and Chong's lowrider to me though my headphones though. Must get the big Sonys back out!

Lyrics! https://genius.com/The-beatles-savoy-truffle-lyrics

All but a couple of the sweets in the lyrics are from one box of assorted chocolates...Eric needed to see the dentist!

From Harrison’s 1980 book, I Me Mine

“At that time [Clapton] had a lot of cavities in his teeth and needed dental work. He always had toothache but he ate a lot of chocolates – he couldn’t resist them and once he saw a box he had to eat them all." (Also from that Genius.com link)

Clapton was a good friend of George's (well...other than that bit about Layla pppppt) and he was brought in on a bit of the White Album session work, which apparently helped get everyone over the Yoko stuff and other grumblings...this was some good natured poking at Eric's tooth decay.

I wanted to pick something George did and that was a really fun song.

Brush off your album and brush your teeth and comment.

Yes, there is a Santa Claus! YesNY's Avatar

Re: Beatles Song of the Week 01-Oct-2017: Savoy Truffle (The Beatles/"White Album")

Good song. A White Album highlight!

Nothing close to original recording on the internet. But Dhani does sound almost like his father in this live rendition:

By the way, I'm still having crap in Firefox, calling the inability to edit well out on the site software/server/Windows for now.

Here today...

OK this is as good a time to ask as any - what is a Savoy Truffle?

I know that in the song it's supposed to be a variety of choccie, but is it a real variety or a fictitious one, like some of the others in the song?

Most internet searches for "Savoy truffle" simply return information on the song. I did find a recipe for Savoy Truffle, and it reads similar to a sweet my mother used to make called "Orange Chocolate Truffles". They were rather delicious - sweet but not sickly sweet. Obviously they did not contain real truffles, which are a type of fungus, but i assume they were claimed to taste like truffles.

Interestingly, I cannot find any mention of "Savoy truffle" in articles about the Savoy Hotel. That makes me wonder if the recipe is a late invention, perhaps with the name inspired by the song rather than the other way round.

Yes, Sean and Dhani do things to haunt you in their uncanny styles. Spitting images. Bev Bevan's son on bass ex-Kula Shaker as well, second generations were good to the Lennon, Harrison and Bevan families. And that would be Jason Bonham on drums.

Well, it's 3 am here and my cat is politely asking me to go to bed.

And like I said, a couple of the sweeties were made up.

Pianist/Pandemoniumist pianozach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Discount Ministry View Post
    It's ridiculously hard to find a version actually done by the Beatles online that isn't part of a larger video or a snippet I've been finding in the time I've had to put this tread together...but Harrison's guitar and playful take on Eric Clapton's sweet tooth plight make for a delightful morsel that melts on your turntable (not the microwave, the phonograph).

Hey! Found a close cover! Or else it's a crappy recording.

It's a very faithful cover trying to pass itself off as the real thing. To my ears there are some very glaring note for note errors (like the opening electric piano riff), and, of course, this is not by JP McCartney (nor did he write or sing lead on it), but overall I'd give it very high marks.

There's a few notable things about this Beatles track:

Distorted saxes: George did this on purpose. He deliberately asked engineer Ken Scott to make them sound dirty or beefy, a sound that would be later be almost a trademark of Harrison's solo catalog. George actually apologized to the session musicians for what he'd had done to their "beautiful sound".

George references another song on the album, Paul's Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, which was apparently not very well liked by neither John nor George.

John did not appear on this track, nor did he participate in recording the song (or on Long, Long, Long). Actually, of the four Harrison tracks on The White Album, John only played guitar on one, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, and helped only with assembling the tape loops of the pig sounds on Piggies.

Ella Fitzgerald covered the song the summer of 1969.

---Pianozach---

". . . Be the change you wish to see in the world." —Ghandi

http://www.pianozach.com/ under re-construction
    http://www.macjams.com/artist/bigidea
    and a new MacJams page: http://www.macjams.com/artist/pianozach

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

I guess George thought: we’ve been distorting guitars for years, let’s do it with saxophones!
    It gives the song its very own flavour, to use that word...
    That’s the great thing about any Beatles record, but this album most of all: every track is a world onto itself.

Did I say I love this song yet?
    Really, I love all George songs from Pepper onwards, only For You Blue bores me to tears.

Here today...

Quote Originally Posted by Ceasar's Palace View Post
    only For You Blue bores me to tears.
    It's twelve-bar blues. :(

Twelve-bar is like having the same story, one that might have been slightly interesting in the beginning, retold to you thousands and thousands of times - and every time you are expected to say how authentic and rootsy it is. I hate it with a passion.

Quote Originally Posted by pianozach View Post
    It's a very faithful cover trying to pass itself off as the real thing. To my ears there are some very glaring note for note errors (like the opening electric piano riff), and, of course, this is not by JP McCartney (nor did he write or sing lead on it), but overall I'd give it very high marks.

There's a few notable things about this Beatles track:

Distorted saxes: George did this on purpose. He deliberately asked engineer Ken Scott to make them sound dirty or beefy, a sound that would be later be almost a trademark of Harrison's solo catalog. George actually apologized to the session musicians for what he'd had done to their "beautiful sound".

George references another song on the album, Paul's Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, which was apparently not very well liked by neither John nor George.

John did not appear on this track, nor did he participate in recording the song (or on Long, Long, Long). Actually, of the four Harrison tracks on The White Album, John only played guitar on one, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, and helped only with assembling the tape loops of the pig sounds on Piggies.

Ella Fitzgerald covered the song the summer of 1969.
    JP McCartney, of course being a reference to the initials for "James Paul McCartney", which is Paul's real name (don't know if he ever legally dropped the James.) Interesting how the Beatles' son whose voice and songs are least like his father is Paul's son, James McCartney, whose stuff is kind of sad singer-songwriter stuff, in contrast to his father's optimistic, usually sunny music. As for Dhani, it is uncanny how similar his voice is to George's. But I digress. Back to the song of the week...

The sax heavy horns always makes me think of the John sung "Good Morning Good Morning" from the Sgt. Pepper' album. Speaking of John, "Savoy Truffle" is another of the George songs, John either didn't play on, or his contributions were minor, edited out or inaudible. I don't read much into that, as some of these John's absences from the post Revolver George songs were circumstantial (like recovering from a car wreck when the boys recorded "Here Comes the Sun"), and John did do the very up-front lap steel guitar on "For You Blue" from the Let It Be album. But I digress again.
    Last edited by YesNY; 10-03-2017 at 02:38 AM.

Here today...

A couple more things about "Savoy Truffle" that I think are notable:

The melody and chord progression is quite unusual for a George song, or indeed for any Beatles song. Some of those sung notes seem almost as though they were chosen at random - except obviously they were not, because they are repeated faithfully from one verse to the next. It's not an easy tune to pick up; even after several listenings I'm not sure I could sing it back with the correct notes. In some ways this song is very similar to "Glass Onion".

The other unusual thing is the way the first word of each verse seems to come in before it should, almost as though the singer misread the cue - except, again, it's clearly intentional because each verse is like that. It gives the song an odd unstructured sound, almost sounding like a radio ad jingle coming between two "normal" songs.

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

The other unusual thing is the way the first word of each verse seems to come in before it should, almost as though the singer misread the cue - except, again, it's clearly intentional because each verse is like that. It gives the song an odd unstructured sound, almost sounding like a radio ad jingle coming between two "normal" songs.
    It sounds to me like the vocal is actually imitating the guitar, if that makes sense.

Here today...

Quote Originally Posted by Ceasar's Palace View Post
    It sounds to me like the vocal is actually imitating the guitar, if that makes sense.
    Yes it does, actually.

A couple more things about "Savoy Truffle" that I think are notable:

The melody and chord progression is quite unusual for a George song, or indeed for any Beatles song. Some of those sung notes seem almost as though they were chosen at random - except obviously they were not, because they are repeated faithfully from one verse to the next. It's not an easy tune to pick up; even after several listenings I'm not sure I could sing it back with the correct notes. In some ways this song is very similar to "Glass Onion".

Listen to this George written song. Precursor to "Savoy Truffle"?

I like this song a lot, like the over-driven sax sound and the whole raucous nature of it. I hadn't thought of it before YesNY but you are right it is somewhat reminiscent of Good Morning Good Morning, another rocking Beatles song I like.

˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ʎlɹɐǝlɔ sɐɥ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos relayerone's Avatar

It's twelve-bar blues. :(

Twelve-bar is like having the same story, one that might have been slightly interesting in the beginning, retold to you thousands and thousands of times - and every time you are expected to say how authentic and rootsy it is. I hate it with a passion.
    Me too. I've always thought of it as lazy man's music, even the lyrics are always lazy:

"I've been feeling blue tonight....that's just the way the story goes......
    Oh I've been feeling blue tonight....that's just the way the story goes......"

You couldn't write a different line? You have to repeat the same one? Why?

*Lazy*
    There's no way that *everybody* was kung-fu fighting.
    Music:♩♪♫♬ Volume: ▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 110 %

Great tune, chock-full of George's quirky wit & charm! Not much to add to the previous excellent commentary.

One I've always liked - I tend to like George's songs, and I'm definitely a sucker for a good sax! It was a keeper when we did the thread cutting the White Album down to one disc . . .

And to reiterate Bob's question - what IS a Savoy Truffle? Is there a Savoy brand of candies? Or candies sold at a Savoy restaurant?
    Now that our server bill is just $85/month, we won't be doing donation drives; however, the occasional donation is still appreciated to make sure we keep Yesfans up and running! Please do what you can, when you can - thanks! http://www.yesfans.com/donations.htm

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast