Google

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: ARW at NJ PAC 9/27/17

Re: ARW at NJ PAC 9/27/17

Quote Originally Posted by somissound View Post
    I agree. Without Steve, AND Chris, it is a nice, happy, and light show. Even with Lee and Molina. A very good show though! I sort of get the feeling with Yes too without JA, just a more serious event. But Trevor, Billy, Geoff, Dylan, and rest are playing great. Just something not hitting me 100% in both bands. Maybe I need to hear new music from these 2 bands to really know who they are... Still 2 fun shows. Drama blew my mind, and its great to get to see JA, RW, and TR, play together.
    That's it! Exactly. New music would show how the bands see themselves now, and may also provide further insight into their current approaches to the older music. I think it could be very interesting to see tours where they (both) play some of their new music mixed with previous songs: which songs they select, whether they complement closely or contrast with the new music, or whether it's songs they have already been playing recently (I would guess the latter, but you never know!) Of course, all this relies on there actually being some new music at some point, which I do think will happen eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by soulsearcher View Post
    I think that ARW should not have played Roundabout or AYAI...
    We hear those 2 songs all the time, Yes official was already playing them..
    Hees an opportunity to play things that have rarely evrn never been played live and capture an audience with music that is be to ears if not to the soul..instead they Tried to pull off AYAI without Steve's steel guitar and Roundbout with a sublime guitar beginning that is as "Steve Howe" as Steve Howe is himself.
    And it wasn't better during this parts and there's nothing yoh can do to fix that. . I would have picked another epic in place of those 2 songs and not only blown the fans away with that song but flabbergasted them with the omission of this two hits...
    But of course they were probably afraid people would think that they couldn't play those 2 songs better thanYes official and that's why they had to play them.
    I think your last statement is absolutely right - I can imagine exactly that discussion happening here!
    Personally, I wouldn't drop Roundabout (I like the mountains). I could do without Owner, though, but I realise that's unlikely!

Long Island New York, but a Brooklyn Italian at heart

I think that ARW should not have played Roundabout or AYAI...
    We hear those 2 songs all the time, Yes official was already playing them..
    I don't think YES f arw, has any interest or are under any compulsion to do anything.

Unless both camps came together and have some meeting about what they are going to do to maximise sales and interest, when to tour , all that, they would never do that though.

Hees an opportunity to play things that have rarely evrn never been played live and capture an audience with music that is be to ears if not to the soul..instead they Tried to pull off AYAI without Steve's steel guitar and Roundbout with a sublime guitar beginning that is as "Steve Howe" as Steve Howe is himself.
    I am Waiting , Hold On, Changes, Rhythm of Love , Lift Me Up. They also did Perpetual Change

This is all part of the "Yes Official" Catalogue is it not? They haven't even wanted to touch any of that since forever, so ARW did exactly what you are saying.

And it wasn't better during this parts and there's nothing yoh can do to fix that. . I would have picked another epic in place of those 2 songs and not only blown the fans away with that song but flabbergasted them with the omission of this two hits...
    But of course they were probably afraid people would think that they couldn't play those 2 songs better thanYes official and that's why they had to play them.

The other songs are as much of a Jon thinng as a Steve thing...watch Jon do that with todmobile.

While I agree with you Denise from a fan perspective, (I would not miss Roundabout or AYAI if they didn't do it ), there is still the newness of having Jon back so anything he sings is gonna be alright with people right now. Plus what Yes show have you ever gone to that they didn't do that? I have never seen a Yes show that did not feature AYAI and ROundabout. The general populous could riot, haha.

I don't think YES f ARW are having anything to prove, I think they just think that they are Yes, and will play whatever based on what they want to do. They know they have the history, the writing Credits and the credibility to play this stuff so they will. Plus they add a bunch of Yeswest stuff, which Yes official would never do.
    Last edited by YESOLA; 5 Days Ago at 09:55 AM.
    So when we do concerts with any Yes music, I always say, there’s certain things you have to play that Chris played because without those notes, the voice doesn’t sing correctly. - Jon Anderson

For me, it's Jon Anderson's distinctive, light but husky vocal that is as characteristic of their sound as anything - Andy MacIntyre

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

I believe it's more along the lines of Jon thinking: "These are my songs and I'm going to sing them." But I imagine they do consider "Roundabout" (along with "Owner") one of the songs they have to play. But there was no way it was going to be anything like the original anyway since they're playing the YesWest version of it. I actually like how Trevor has changed the intro, but yeah it's a different song now. If I want the original then I'll listen to that. But that's not to say I don't want them to play it more like the original, especially with Rick in the band. I think it's stupid not to play the original version when you're got the original keyboard player.
    "(Their current bassist looks like he's a Dungeon Master into ham radio & I love it)"
    - carrotfleur

http://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

Yes..i agree that they did the 90125 stuff and they own it and are the ones who should play it and i loved that..
    And I agree that trees, maybe jon wanted to sing AYAI and roundabout because he can, and who knows.. maybe he missed those songs in particular and he was just dying to perform them live again..he's only human. Lol
    So yeah I'm glad they are playing together and touring.. and mere must will be nice with Jon writing..
    with love and wonder, denise

"We receive all we venture to give..."

Yes..i agree that they did the 90125 stuff and they own it and are the ones who should play it and i loved that..
    And I agree that trees, maybe jon wanted to sing AYAI and roundabout because he can, and who knows.. maybe he missed those songs in particular and he was just dying to perform them live again..he's only human. Lol
    So yeah I'm glad they are playing together and touring.. and mere must will be nice with Jon writing..
    I got the feeling it was Jon saying these are MY (our) songs, and I'm going to sing them!! And he has every right to! While I liked the new added intro to Awaken, I thought it was kind of sad what songs like AYAI, Roundabout, and Awaken had been sort of compromised from, compared to the versions they were playing in 2004, or even the way Yes is currently playing 2 of the 3. There is just some stuff Rabin can't quite get his whole head around, sort of like Geoff. Where you are waiting for this or that iconic passage or part and it kind of just goes pfffft. I do enjoy most of both guys interpretations, but some songs meh... Just seems there is some iconic/epic stuff that needs to either be played correctly, by the real guy who played it, or not at all. Certain songs and parts don't do well when they shouldn't or don't need a different interpretation. imho

Quote Originally Posted by YESOLA View Post
    I have never seen a Yes show that did not feature ... Roundabout. The general populous could riot.
    I have, can't remember when or where it was (somewhere in the DC metro area), but it was awesome! Gonna have to go to Forgotten Yesterdays to figure this out

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5