Google

Thread: Something resembling the next generation of prog fans... it's cool.

Peace... is a word we teach

Lol Something resembling the next generation of prog fans... it's cool.

My IRL name is Gordon, but I use this moniker throughout the web. If you've heard of me before... well, that's nice. But I hope you'll appreciate my presence here.

The Yes experience for me comes from... well, it took a while, but when I was much younger, after having discovered my father's stash of vinyl records, I saw he had a copy of Relayer. I always thought it was odd, since he was into more mainstream rock music (Bob Seger is a favorite artist of his). But I played that one and I was utterly spellbound by the content. The epic side-length suite managed to keep me interested for its entire duration, and I also liked the other songs. "The Gates of Delirium"... if that's the wrong way to get into the band, then I don't want to be right.

Most of my hardcore fandom has came within the past few months. I just decided "Roundabout" was cool after hearing it at the end of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and wanted to go for more of their music. And then came listening to YouTube uploads followed by purchasing the official box set, and then the bootlegs... so yeah, I'm obsessed. I don't really have a favorite Yes album, but virtually all of the earlier 70's material is awesome by my standards.

I hope to build on my music tastes (progressive rock or otherwise) as time goes on here. That's really all I can ask for.

Re: Something resembling the next generation of prog fans... it's cool.

Welcome! It's good to know some younger people are discovering Yes and enjoying the music. It took me a while to appreciate Relayer since over 40 years ago, but now it is a favorite along with Close to the Edge and other 70's albums. Something to like in all the other eras of the band as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Blatch View Post
    I don't really have a favorite Yes album, but virtually all of the earlier 70's material is awesome by my standards.

I hope to build on my music tastes (progressive rock or otherwise) as time goes on here. That's really all I can ask for.
    Yes it is, the Holy Grail of progressive rock music and what a gift to be discovering it for the first time. All I can say is........enjoy.

dreamland connecticut. to the left of the garden of geda

A case of warm Miller beer and 7 Red Bulls my be in order when you first discover Yes's Big Generator.... well worth it, it's a good album.

as you shoot high and aim low.

still undefined

Welcome to the site! Hope you enjoy your stay.
    ReAwaken (after the Bethlehem Sands concert 2016):
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

Peace... is a word we teach

Quote Originally Posted by crotale2112 View Post
    A case of warm Miller beer and 7 Red Bulls my be in order when you first discover Yes's Big Generator.... well worth it, it's a good album.

as you shoot high and aim low.
    Well, thanks for that offer, but I'm not old enough to drink... the beer, anyway. I'll take the Red Bull for antics of a venture soon to come.

That can is empty. Discount Ministry's Avatar

Everyone knows the next generation of prog fans are being won over by a master of the old and new named Rachel Flowers. Only her eyes cannot see.

Nothing is misguided to it's creators, only the recipients who didn't want the expectation ruined for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Discount Ministry View Post
    Everyone knows the next generation of prog fans are being won over by a master of the old and new named Rachel Flowers. Only her eyes cannot see.
    The discovery of Ms. Flowers has warmed this old, cold heart, mightily.

Welcome, Gordon!
    Tempus Fugit

That can is empty. Discount Ministry's Avatar

Set a spell, Granny's fixin up supper!

Nothing is misguided to it's creators, only the recipients who didn't want the expectation ruined for them.

My IRL name is Gordon, but I use this moniker throughout the web. If you've heard of me before... well, that's nice. But I hope you'll appreciate my presence here.

The Yes experience for me comes from... well, it took a while, but when I was much younger, after having discovered my father's stash of vinyl records, I saw he had a copy of Relayer. I always thought it was odd, since he was into more mainstream rock music (Bob Seger is a favorite artist of his). But I played that one and I was utterly spellbound by the content. The epic side-length suite managed to keep me interested for its entire duration, and I also liked the other songs. "The Gates of Delirium"... if that's the wrong way to get into the band, then I don't want to be right.

Most of my hardcore fandom has came within the past few months. I just decided "Roundabout" was cool after hearing it at the end of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and wanted to go for more of their music. And then came listening to YouTube uploads followed by purchasing the official box set, and then the bootlegs... so yeah, I'm obsessed. I don't really have a favorite Yes album, but virtually all of the earlier 70's material is awesome by my standards.

Sweet! Welcome to Yesfans.com.. what a great way to start with Relayer!!
    with love and wonder, denise

"We receive all we venture to give..."

Welcome! Relayer huh? Nicely introduced I would say.

My first taste was The Yes Album... That said, Relayer is in my permenant top 5 rotation.
    The Desert is an Ocean with its life drying above ground!

SR Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by MrZuLu View Post

My first taste was The Yes Album... That said, Relayer is in my permenant top 5 rotation.
    Welcome. Was walking up Yonge street in Toronto in December of 1974 and in the window of the record shop were all the new releases timed for Christmas. I thought cool, what great cover art (the best of Roger dean in my book) and wow I did not know the release would be so soon. Took it home and my feeling was this was still in the "new" Tales style musically but it was a bit more accessible especially the jazzy Sound Chaser and To be Over. It wasn't until I heard Gates under Ganja influence that I realized that number, all 20 plus minutes, was absolutely brilliant. I needed the Ganj to open my ears to really hear it all and after that, sober as a judge, it still had that Ganja revelation vibe on all subsequent listenings. In other words Gates of Delerium is out of this world. Fantastic that decades later it can still be appreciated by young ears. It would be like me in the 70's going back and spinning Cole Porter.

Pianist/Pandemoniumist pianozach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrZuLu View Post

I'll echo that sentiment.

Discovering Yes through one of their most progressive jazz-fusiony albums and being won over on its strength is heartening.

People that discover Yes more recently seem to accept the different member line-ups far more readily than those that lived through the changes.

Relayer was keyboardist Pat Moraz' only appearance on a studio album with the band, and his contributions were excellent.
    ---Pianozach---

". . . Be the change you wish to see in the world." —Ghandi

http://www.pianozach.com/ under re-construction
    http://www.macjams.com/artist/bigidea
    and a new MacJams page: http://www.macjams.com/artist/pianozach

SR Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by pianozach View Post
    I'll echo that sentiment.

Discovering Yes through one of their most progressive jazz-fusiony albums and being won over on its strength is heartening.

People that discover Yes more recently seem to accept the different member line-ups far more readily than those that lived through the changes.

Relayer was keyboardist Pat Moraz' only appearance on a studio album with the band, and his contributions were excellent.
    Absolutely. Patrick contributed brilliantly to both Relayer and Fish Out Of Water, the latter being the best Yes album with horns and orchestra not called Yes. If one ever wants to truly appreciate the rythmn section that defined Yes, Bill Bruford and Chris Squire, listen to Lucky Seven on Fish Out of Water. Turn it up. Chris is the only one who had a great solo album in 1975. I liked Solid Space on Sunhillow but the best rest was soft serve. Will not venture into the others efforts. I really wish Patrick had played on Going for the One and that they had had another Roger Dean cover. I felt at that time that Rick was yesterday's news Awaken nothwithstanding.

Awaken is extraordinary in that Wakeman using a real church organ miles away from the studio in a Real Church for the basic track...

˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ʎlɹɐǝlɔ sɐɥ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos relayerone's Avatar

Welcome. Was walking up Yonge street in Toronto in December of 1974 and in the window of the record shop were all the new releases timed for Christmas.

Hundreds of hours spent in here. And thousands of $$$

There's no way that *everybody* was kung-fu fighting.
    Music:♩♪♫♬ Volume: ▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 110 %

Yesfan

Bold of you, starting with Relayer, but it probably is their best work, if not the single most aesthetically pleasant. I had to ease in via Drama from being an Asia fan, first.

Most of my hardcore fandom has came within the past few months. I just decided "Roundabout" was cool after hearing it at the end of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and wanted to go for more of their music.
    Nice! I've never actually watched JoJo, but couldn't escape mention of it or the To Be Continued... memes, and was hoping some people would be enticed over by its prominence. A far cry from my time on anime boards back around 2007-2010 or so, when my mention of anything Yes in music discussions would get me a reply of "No one cares about your old music," or "That's not J-Pop!!1!" or "Blue Oyster Cult is so much better, dude." I'm glad!

That's all that can happen! The only question is what it will ultimately build to. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by pianozach View Post
    Indeed! It's simply a part of the deal going in.

I am the anomoly I guess... I love every incarnation and only barely dislike one tune that being Angkor Wat.

Being classically trained, and as a rebel, all my piano instructors said "you can't serve two masters"

I said "ok... The Masters I choose to follow were in Yes, Deep Purple and Genesis..."

That was 1971

As I got older and discovered the rest of the Progressive Genre, pop, became just a drink...
    Last edited by MrZuLu; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:17 PM.