My hovercraft is full of eels Grey Wolf's Avatar

Re: YES: Tue 13th March – Bristol, Colston Hall UK

I wish I could have been there.

I wonder if Meng went?
    Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
    What, me worry?

Quote Originally Posted by BristolYes View Post
    This for me was the negative of the show. It was a 1970s Yes show, not a reflection of Yes music across 50 years. A slight adjustment in the set would have made it more credible. But it was good - and no doubt Steve Howe knows what the great majority of fans want. But, still - a shame Downes, Sherwood and Davison don't have more of a stake in the material used.
    That may be a bit harsh on Steve. It's possible that the tour promoters had a big say on the set list. I would have expected Downes to ask for Machine Messiah and/or Tempus Fugit to be included.

It's ironic that the YfARW haters were attacking them for not playing more material from the albums that featured Rabin. I would like songs from those albums included in future sets. Songs from Tormato, The Ladder and Magnification would be welcome too.

New music from both YES's please sherwoodfish1's Avatar

^
    Agreed , well said

Super Yesfan

Sometimes you're happier if you just accept the show for what it is/was instead of your perception of what you want it to be. We were five days away from the show were were supposed see last summer when we found out about Virgil, so then we got refunds when I'd've been so much happier with show memories that we'll never get. Sometimes good points are made along the way but they come at the expense of some negativity.

Shrugs a few key points I want to make

1. Obviously the set list will change through out the tour as I doubt Horn is guesting on Sweet Dreams or ritual
    2. I am still shocked how a set comprising of Onward Ritual Revealing Sweet Dreams and Parralells can be considered weak...

To me the first night set is really cool

I still say before the full album thing is done we will get all of Time and a word the inclusion of sweet dreams proves it for me

In fact if I was going to complain Howe doing two solos (mood for a day and leaves of green) is kind of annoying I would prefer Tempus Fugit Survival or hell Into the storm (a song that could become the warhorse of that album) in the place of that but like I said it’s the first night and a large portion of the material has not been played in a while which is also cool.
    Chris Squire RIP 1948-2015 thank you for every album every song every moment... the world will truly never be the same again.
    Yes is Steve Howe Geoff Downes Jon Davison Billy Sherwood Alan White Jay Schellen and Tony Kaye and they have my support.
    GTT

Insane Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Wolf View Post

I wonder if Meng went?
    Meng has posted on his facebook account that he did indeed attend.

UK..........born in Morecambe but still not Wise !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Caped Crusader View Post
    I was referring to to Sherwoodfish1's review. Waken up ya muppet!

For almost all of the set, there were either no members or only one member of the line-ups that wrote and recorded those songs! Any competent reviewer would care about that.

And there were no songs from the studio albums that featured Downes, Sherwood and Davison. Surely that, on a 50th Anniversary tour, is worthy of comment.

The reality is that this is Steve Howe's 70s Yes tribute band with Alan White guesting for Ritual and the encores.
    So what is your point ? YesfARW are also a tribute act as far as I am concern. To me Chris was the heart of Yes and he is gone. Enjoy what is left but for me YesO very much come out on top

My hovercraft is full of eels Grey Wolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gitsy View Post
    Meng has posted on his facebook account that he did indeed attend.
    I'm sure everyone there felt a moment of darkness in their heart as he entered the building, much like a giant foot descending upon them.

via GIPHY

Oh no, my GIF won't work for me now for some reason.

Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
    What, me worry?

Mega Insane Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Wolf View Post

I wonder if Meng went?
    He did, and enjoyed it enormously.

A tribute band is Britt Floyd or The Musical Box type of bands. Neither YES or ARW is that. Perhaps close in this or that way but not really.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2001 View Post
    So what is your point ? YesfARW are also a tribute act as far as I am concern. To me Chris was the heart of Yes and he is gone. Enjoy what is left but for me YesO very much come out on top
    "YES" - Music that could make God cry with joy. Either you get it or you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2001 View Post
    That's a ridiculous statement. A tribute band with the group's founding singer who sang on all but three of the studio albums? Jon Anderson was at the heart of Yes (almost as much as Chris) until he became ill. YfARW has three RRHOF members in it.

The fact is that Benoit David and Jon Davison started singing Yes songs in tribute bands. Compare their contribution with Anderson's. Trevor Horn feels it is necessary to re-release FFH with his vocals. Heaven & Earth was a disaster even with a top name producer. QED!

Suspended

It all sounds very jolly and enjoyable, but at the end of the day this is The Steve Howe Band isn't it?

01011001 01100101 01110011 The Whale's Avatar

Boy some real sticks in the mud in this bunch. Glad the show was a huge hit with those that went.
    "That's just, like, your opinion, man." ~ The Dude

I alone am the answer Yorkshire Square's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caped Crusader View Post
    I was referring to to Sherwoodfish1's review. Waken up ya muppet!

For almost all of the set, there were either no members or only one member of the line-ups that wrote and recorded those songs! Any competent reviewer would care about that.

And there were no songs from the studio albums that featured Downes, Sherwood and Davison. Surely that, on a 50th Anniversary tour, is worthy of comment.

The reality is that this is Steve Howe's 70s Yes tribute band with Alan White guesting for Ritual and the encores.
    Oh, do loosen your knicker elastic, darling.

As has already been pointed out, you were the one snoozing. SF posted a verbatim account of a review from elsewhere. They weren't his own personal words.

As to who played/wrote what, it wasn't an issue for the reviewer and won't be for many others. For those of you for which it is a particular problem, it's probably best you spend the time doing something else. Would want you having palpitations, would we?
    Gonna leave you all severed

I'm seeing both bands, Yes this week and ARW in June. I expect I'll enjoy both.

Yes may be a bit like a Sauvignon Blanc (a little dry), but I'm guess ARW will be more like a sandwich (ham and cheese)...

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Square View Post

Yes may be a bit like a Sauvignon Blanc (a little dry), but I'm guess ARW will be more like a sandwich (ham and cheese)...
    As long as they're not like a pizza. Doughy, sloppy and a bit too cheesy.

Oh, do loosen your knicker elastic, darling.

As has already been pointed out, you were the one snoozing. SF posted a verbatim account of a review from elsewhere. They weren't his own personal words.

As to who played/wrote what, it wasn't an issue for the reviewer and won't be for many others. For those of you for which it is a particular problem, it's probably best you spend the time doing something else. Would want you having palpitations, would we?
    There was no source or reference so how do you know? Cutting and pasting without attribution is IMO plagiarism.

The fans who are having palpitations are probably those who bought tickets with expectation of

a) Seeing Kaye guesting
    b) White play more than three songs or
    c) The band playing songs from 1980 and after on a 50th Anniversary Tour.

I'm just looking forward to seeing Yes featuring ARW in June. We might even get some songs from Talk or Magnification!

Don't be ridiculous !
    Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodfish1 View Post
    The great Yes soap opera has been rumbling along for half a century now, and if you’re foolhardy enough to venture onto social media you’ll find lots of people shouting at one another angrily about the legitimacy of the current line-up. Of the six musicians on stage tonight, just two played on the original recordings featured. And drummer Alan White, who’s had health problems of late, only joins the band for the last half of the final (epic) song, along with the encore. Messrs. Wakeman and Anderson, meanwhile, are off doing their own thing with 90125-era guitarist Trevor Rabin. All the non-partisan reviewer can do in such circumstances is to forget all the bickering and form a judgment based on the performance. And on the evidence of the first night of the UK leg of the band’s 50th anniversary tour, this incarnation of Yes is on magnificent form.

Sure, Geoff Downes isn’t Rick Wakeman and doesn’t wear a cape, but he does sport a pair of leopard print trousers that are a brave sartorial choice for a man of his advancing years. More importantly, he’s quite at ease with a set that comprises some of the band’s most challenging material.

Billy Sherwood was the late Chris Squire’s own choice of replacement and is a respectful player who has no difficulty emulating his predecessor’s distinctive gut-punching bass, while discreetly putting his own stamp on the songs. Long-term Yes associate Jay Schellen’s hard rock background helps to give the drums an extra kick.

And high-pitched vocalist Jon Davison – who gets most of the flak simply for not being Jon Anderson – may lack those flat Lancashire vowels on account of being American, but sings beautifully throughout.

As the band’s de facto leader, the increasingly professorial Steve Howe showcases his funny little hopping and skipping dance, shoots sharp looks over the top of his spectacles whenever something displeases him, and plays like an absolute demon. It’s hard to take your eyes off him as he switches between multiple styles on different guitars, frequently within a single song.

After a burst of Stravinsky’s Firebird Suite, they open with the crowd-pleasingly familiar Yours Is No Disgrace and I’ve Seen All Good People, with animated matching album cover art spanned across three giant digital screens behind the performers. Howe promises that they’ll be dipping into material from across their 50 year career, but in fact they limit themselves to their first decade. Still, it’s a well-judged opening set, poppier material from both ends of the self-imposed timeline (Sweet Dreams from 1970’s Time and a Word album and unlikely punk-era chart hit Wondrous Stories) rubbing shoulders with the pure thrilling prog of South Side of the Sky and a very welcome Parallels from Going for the One. Howe’s note-perfect Mood for a Day acoustic showcase is a joy to behold, while Chris Squire’s Onward from the otherwise mostly rotten Tormato album makes a powerful, non-lachrymose tribute to the late bassist. It’s back to the classics for set-closer And You and I, with an interval before what is for many of us the main event.

Wouldn’t it be fun to get a time machine and transport an authentically expectorating ‘year zero’ punk rocker to 2018 to find that not only are Yes playing a 50th anniversary tour to sell-out crowds but also reviving the album that came to epitomise everything the punks despised? Yep, history records that 1973’s Tales From Topographic Oceans was the first Yes album to top the UK album charts, but it also became lazy critical shorthand for prog pretension and over-indulgence that deserved to be swept away by the two-chord bashers. Consequently, those of us who were too young at the time have never had the chance to hear it performed live. Modern-day Prog God Steven Wilson’s superb surround sound remix made the case for re-assessment and introduced this much-maligned double album to a new audience. So finally, Yes are playing it live again. Or, more accurately, around 60% of it.

In truth, even its most ardent fans would admit that Topographic Oceans isn’t without its longueurs. But side one, The Revealing Science of God (Dance of the Dawn), is as accessible a piece of music as Yes have ever recorded, packed with musical ideas and brimming with great melodies. They skip side two and go straight to the calm acoustic section of the frantic The Ancient (Giants Under the Sun) – anyone seeking proof of Yes’s out-there, high-wire experimentalism should look no further than these 20 minutes. Arguably, the entire evening’s highlight, it’s performed mesmerisingly by Howe and Davison, with harmony vocals by Sherwood. The euphoric Ritual (Nous Sommes du Soleil) closes the show as it does the album, bringing the audience to their feet for rapturous ovation. Yes could have stopped right there as we cross this off out bucket lists, but return for the predictable if always welcome Roundabout and Starship Trooper. Here’s looking forward to the, erm, 51st anniversary tour.
    Great review. Seems like they are on top form. Makes me delighted that I am seeing them more than once. If I had to choose than yes for me I would choose YARW because of Jon Anderson, but I feel very grateful that I can see Howe and team perform such a great setlist. Brilliant news.

Can’t wait for next week and then the Palladium shows. BRING IT ON 😊

Quote Originally Posted by The View Post
    As long as they're not like a pizza. Doughy, sloppy and a bit too cheesy.
    I'm hoping both have got their acts together and avoid any sloppiness.

BTW, the only pizzas I ever buy (usually from a family owned restaurant near where we live) are thin and crisp and delicious. Aubergine and anchovy is my favourite, much to my wife's disgust!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast