Google

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Live Album Announced: Topographic Drama- Live Aross America

SR Super Yesfan

New Live Album Announced: Topographic Drama- Live Aross America

From YesWorld:

Topographic Drama – Live Across America

YES, deservedly inducted into the Rock’n’Roll Hall of Fame in April 2017, will release ‘Topographic Drama – Live Across America‘, a new live album, planned for later in the year, recorded during their US 2016/17 tours.
    This is up on YesWorld in the context of a lot of stuff about Yes' 50th anniversary in 2018. Do you think they mean that we should expect Topographic Drama late in 2017, or late in 2018?
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

Re: New Live Album Announced: Topographic Drama- Live Aross America

Great album title.

Super Mega Yesfan

This is awesome! I'm glad they are taking tracks from multiple shows ("across America") and really making this different from the "Like It Is" albums.

My guess is later this year since they are announcing it this year.

Autobuy for sure!
    ReAwaken (after the Bethlehem Sands concert 2016):
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

I really wish they'd taken Drama from the UK shows with Alan drumming but I'll still be getting it.
    Peace, love, long live rock n roll

Quote Originally Posted by Enlighten View Post
    Great album title.
    I agree. Really fits these days...

Looks like it might be songs from different shows across the tour. That is cool, rather than 1 night with some hiccups and ups and downs, we'll get the best of the best!

When I saw them with Schellen (and Horn on Tempus Fugit), they nailed the Drama album. Should be pretty cool!

SR Super Yesfan

I've been looking forward to this one since July 25, 2016. Hopefully, they mean it'll be late 2017 and not 2018. The sooner, the better! :)

Some cool stuff that I am anticipating on this album, and some random observations-

- First live album to feature Drama in it's entirety, including the first appearances of many songs from that album on an official live release. A very good underrated album.

- First Yes album of any kind to feature Billy Sherwood as the primary bass player. He was great on stage when I heard him.

- First Yes live album that we get to hear Jon Davison and Billy Sherwood as the two lead harmony singers together. I really like that vocal combination. I think it's more than the sum of it's parts.

- How much of this will get depend on what tour dates the songs are taken from, but I am hoping to hear a lot of the Sherwood/Jay Schellen rhythm section. I think Schellen was really on, hitting the sticks like Alan White circa 1983, and he and Sherwood complemented each other well. Since Schellen did not continue with the band, this is, unless he returns to the band in the future, our only chance to hear him on an official Yes release. As with Juano and Billy's harmonies, I think this short lived Yes rhythm section was more than the sum of it's parts. We reportedly will get more of it on some sort of Chris Squire tribute Billy is working with Jay on, but that will not carry the Yes name or be an official Yes album (I'll almost certainly get it anyway :) ). This live release will be.

- First official release featuring Jon Davison doing material from Tales from the Topographic Oceans, and, if it's 2.5 sides of Tales, this might be the live album with most Tales material to date. In fact, every song from Drama and Tales will be the first official instance of Juano singing lead on these songs (Though Benoit David did two songs off Drama on In the Present).

- I think the Drama/Tales combo is pretty cool. It's like two separate aspects of the Yes phenomenon put together. Drama showcases a new wave influenced rock and roll side of the band. Tales showcases the extravagant long-form 70s progressive rock side of Yes. And it's all from one tour with the same 5 or 6 guys (The number depending on whether some of Alan White's select appearances on parts of songs late in the tour are used or not). So we get kind of two very different types of Yes music, unified in their Yesiness, which is fun.

- They had a cool mix of the Drama and Tales covers that had some elements interacting with each other to promote the tour. It'd be neat to see a version of that as the cover art. If that's not available to them for whatever reason, I hope they choose to do something that looks visually different from the last three live albums and the last studio album, which are all good art, but have covers that kind of look alike, and also look a bit like the Keys to Ascension albums. Time for something different art wise- whether it's the retro appeal of mixing the Drama and Tales covers or something totally different.

- I like that this isn't just the third "Like It Is" album and has it's own title. I think that's for the best.

- This will be the first Yes release not to feature Chris Squire, unless one counts ABWH as Yes. That's of course sad in some ways, but it is notable, and it is very much in accordance with Chris' wishes that the band carry on without him. It seemed like Yes carrying on his legacy with new music and touring was very important to him in his last days, and this is the first step.

- Still unknown is whether this album will feature any material that was played on the Drama/Tales tours, but which was not part of either of those studio albums. I'll of course buy it either way, but I'm hoping we get those other songs. Initially the other songs played were: "Time and a Word", "Siberian Khatru", "And You and I", "Roundabout", and "Starship Trooper". Eventually, "I've Seen All Good People" replaced "Time and a Word". "Heart of the Sunrise" was reportedly included on some early 2017 versions of this tour.

Perhaps they could split the difference a bit and just include "Time and a Word" on the album, since that is the one song of that bunch that was not on the Like It Is albums?

- Trevor Horn guested on "Tempus Fugit" in the UK for one or two dates. Though if only one version of the song can appear on the live album, I'd like it to be the one with just the current band, the Trevor Horn alternate version would be a nice bonus track to throw in at the end in addition to the one with just the current band in the main sequence of the album.

- Yes may have some songs on tape from previous tours in the last five years or so that weren't included on the Like It Is series. I don't know if they'd be interested in going back for just a song or two, because it's not something that's usually done, and it would mean a different lineup of the band (Squire instead of Sherwood, White instead of mostly Schellen), but songs that JD has sung live prior to the Drama/Tales tour that haven't yet been included on a live album include "Owner of a Lonely Heart", "Believe Again", "To Ascend", "The Game", "Don't Kill the Whale", "Fly From Here" suite, and "Nine Voices". All of these would be pretty sweet to have as bonus tracks. I don't see it as likely (Especially "Fly From Here", which would add a ton of play time to the album), but I think it'd be neat to get some (or even one) of these included, especially if they are unlikely to be released in any other fashion.

"Nine Voices" would celebrate Billy's return to the band with a newish live version of a song he appeared on the studio version of with Yes in the 90s. "Believe Again", "The Game", and/or "To Ascend" would promote the most recent studio album and be JD singing on songs that he recorded originally to people who may be buying for the Drama/Tales nostalgia- sort of promotes a "Yes lives!" vibe.

"Owner of a Lonely Heart" would be a popular song that might move units (Might go over well with the label on an album that is mostly sort of diehard fan material instead of the hits). It also would sort of send a message that "Hey, we're Yes, that's our song, too.". :)

- One way to accommodate additional music, whether it's from the Drama/Tales concerts or just stuff from the last five years, might be to include them on just the MP3 release as bonus tracks at the end of the album, and to include a download code for people who purchase the CD and/or vinyl (if there is vinyl) to download them for no additional charge if they want. MP3 downloads have no time constraints. Physical media does. That's why I thought of a workaround, in case that's an issue.

- Even if it's just Drama and 2.5 sides of Tales, as is likely, I think this will be a very cool album, and I personally will enjoy having it as a memento of seeing the first stop on the tour in person beyond just enjoying it for the music itself (Though I think this will have appeal to people who didn't see the tour as well- good music is good music! :) ).

- A dedication to Chris Squire in the liner notes would be a nice touch. Just a simple "In Memory of Chris Squire" with the date of his birth and the the date of his death would be very tasteful. Maybe it could also add something like "May his dream live on forever!".
    Last edited by downbyariver; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:37 PM.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. He kept telling me, ‘No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that’s something you want to do.’ And I have to keep making music. It’s just what I do. I’m a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood (Quote edited to fit under character limit for sig files)

dreamland connecticut. to the left of the garden of geda

This is good news, I found the shows I saw from that tour to be fantastic and far more exciting and colorful than this years tour, those two albums gelled well together and the vibe of the tour was refreshing and very musical.

The Tales/Drama tour gives this years AWR tour a run of it's money...

still undefined

This makes my day! Will be looking forward to it...

That can is empty. Discount Ministry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by downbyariver View Post
    From YesWorld:

This is up on YesWorld in the context of a lot of stuff about Yes' 50th anniversary in 2018. Do you think they mean that we should expect Topographic Drama late in 2017, or late in 2018?
    Christmastime, for Pete's sake. Give the gift of music and all that.

Have you ever wondered sometimes if the human waste is a race of time?

The said Remark Ceasar's Palace's Avatar

The only thing about this album I'm interested in is the cover.
    Obviously Dean, but will the original covers (among my favorites of his)
    inspire him to move away from the barren rockscapes?
    Like, a swimming panther...?

Super Mega Insane Yesfan Sharp on Attack's Avatar

Good news. I will buy it (I don't often buy live albums these days, even YES ones) for the novelty effect of hearing Jon D, Billy and Jay !

That can is empty. Discount Ministry's Avatar

This time there should be faces on the cover, Yes members, not more artwork.

Have you ever wondered sometimes if the human waste is a race of time?

Super tour. One of the best. I'll pick it up for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Discount Ministry View Post
    This time there should be faces on the cover, Yes members, not more artwork.
    With it being such an impressive stage set a stage shot with the Dean art in full swing would seam obvious.

Every thing about this release is exciting!
    "That's just, like, your opinion, man."
    ~ The Dude

Super Mega Yesfan

They already had the image promoting the tour that combined the Tales and Drama covers. It looked really cool. I wonder if they'll use that.

˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ʎlɹɐǝlɔ sɐɥ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos relayerone's Avatar

Not really interested in live albums anymore, is it just an audio release or will there be a live DVD to accompany it?
    There's no way that *everybody* was kung-fu fighting.
    Music:♩♪♫♬ Volume: ▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 110 %

SR Super Yesfan

Quote Originally Posted by relayerone View Post
    Not really interested in live albums anymore, is it just an audio release or will there be a live DVD to accompany it?
    YesWorld doesn't specify. However, rumors were that there weren't any shows from these tours professionally filmed, just audio recordings, so my guess would be just an audio release.

Just audio works for me. I never buy the DVDs anyway.

I'm not sure what the economics of the situation are, but it seems as though they record audio at almost every show kind of "just in case" and rarely record video, which would lead me to believe that it's becoming a situation where audio is much less expensive than video to capture. It may be a situation where we could get some live albums this way that we'd never get if they only released live albums alongside DVDs. The decision to actually make this an album may not have been firmly made yet when they did the recording. We also know that Billy Sherwood has a studio and can produce a live album audio wise, which might be another cost saving thing. One almost wonders if they might even consider MP3-only paid live album downloads of tours where there otherwise would not be official releases- give the fans a way to pay for a professional quality version of the music they can keep, something you can present the way you want to be heard, and can get paid for, rather than just having inferior things recorded on phones floating around that you don't get compensated for.

In any event, for what it's worth, this was really an amazing presentation of the music live- I was there for show one of the American tour last year (2016), with Jay Schellen having had only a week or so to prepare, and it was already head and shoulders better than the live show I saw in 2015 (I think maybe they were all still grieving over Chris Squire, Billy Sherwood was still readjusting to life on the road, and Alan White's back was getting to him in 2015. By 2016, everyone on stage seems to be rolling on all cylinders- Sherwood looked like a star, Schellen sounded like White circa 1983, etc..). I imagine it got even better as the tour went on.

TL;DR: Not sure if there is going to be a DVD yet. My guess, based on rumors is no, but stay tuned. :) You could get your wish. Rumors are sometimes wrong.

No shows were filmed. They didn't film the UK tour because they wanted to wait til they could film Tales as well in the USA (speculation) but then Alan got sick and they postponed filming. This is why the February dates were scheduled around the time of Cruise To The Edge (fact). However since Alan still couldn't do the whole set, I assume that's why they didn't film it either. I know single cameras were in use at many shows for archival purposes but I can't see them doing that.
    You'll just have to wait for me to do a multicam edit of the whole of Drama...
    Peace, love, long live rock n roll

Quote Originally Posted by relayerone View Post
    Since it claims to involve multiple shows, I find a DVD to be less apt to occur than if the CD was from one show.
    I am a fan of Yes and YesF

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast