Google

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: In praise of YesO and YesF thread

In praise of YesO and YesF thread

You all know I'm not a fanboy and I have been critical of both Yes camps when I feel it's merited but this thread is not about criticism, it's about praise.

Jon Anderson, wow, 73 and you're singing like this? After all of the health problems of ten years ago you have risen like a phoenix and are bringing it to the stage and delivering what only you can deliver. Bravo Jon.

Geoff Downes, I gotta give you props. You take your fair share of heat here but I have been listening to many different recordings of you on this current tour and I know you have been wood shedding and paying more attention to the detail and nuance in the classic Yes repertoire. Your playing has been crisp and you've shown a flair that I have not quite seen to the level that is on display now. Good job Geoff.

Trevor Rabin, really nice take on South Side of the Sky, you made it your own in a way that brings a new musicality to the piece. I'm not hearing scales attempting to be played at a million miles an hour, you have brought a thoughtfulness to this music. Keep it up.

Alan White, bravo to you for taking care of yourself and putting your ego aside to allow Dylan to come in and add his flair to this current tour. I know it must be hard, you've put so much of your blood and guts into Yes music for so long. This is what was best for the team and you showed just how much of a team player you are.

Rick Wakeman, putting aside your bombast and juvenile humor, you are still the consummate pro when you step on that stage. There is no one quite like you and your contribution to the Yes canon can never be doubted. Thank you for contributing to the looseness of the ARW vibe, it's serving the music too.

Billy Sherwood and Jon Davison, you two have probably the most unenviable task in prog rock, replacing two of the most iconic figures in prog rock! You've done it with class and have had to take many slings and arrows in the process and still show up and play every night.

Lee Pomeroy and Lou Molino, you two are such a power house rhythm section and YesF are lucky to have you. Now make sure they give you both tons of space on this new album so you can add your special flair to 21st century Yes music.

Steve Howe, man, you are a bit of an enigma but you're still my favorite guitarist of the seventies era. No one can doubt your steadfastness regarding Yes and the course you are on.

This is an exciting time to be a fan of Yes in all its iterations, the 50th is shaping up to be quite a celebration. Yesfans, what praise are you feeling for the Yesmen as the band approaches the half century mark?
    Last edited by Enlighten; 09-05-2017 at 08:46 PM.

Re: In praise of YesO and YesF thread

Quote Originally Posted by Enlighten View Post

Billy Sherwood and Jon Davison, you two have probably the most unenviable task in prog rock, replacing two of the most iconic figures in prog rock! You've done it with class and have had to take many slings and arrows in the process and still show up and play every night.
    Not only "show up", but excel!

E
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Billy from day one has had the energy and way about him that makes the transition from losing Chris to keeping his YES sound still.
    "YES" - Music that could make God cry with joy. Either you get it or you don't.

Great thread Jay and I second every word in your post. I went to YesO in 2016 and Yesfeat. this year and enjoyed both concerts immensely and I plan on catching both bands again whenever possible for me and for as long as possible, because at this point in time I consider it all a bonus.
    ReAwaken (after the Bethlehem Sands concert 2016):
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

Is this some kind of sick joke? Tonto Goldstein's Avatar

Well done my brother. There is so much to be thankful for as Yes fans. It's going to be an exciting year.
    It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man. – H.L Mencken
    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. – Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    Great thread Jay and I second every word in your post. I went to YesO in 2016 and Yesfeat. this year and enjoyed both concerts immensely and I plan on catching both bands again whenever possible for me and for as long as possible, because at this point in time I consider it all a bonus.
    Thanks Arno. It feels like a new vibe is taking root here at Yesfans. We can be respectful and at the same time not pull any punches regarding our favorite band. It's a balance but it's possible, authenticity doesn't have to be about defending your opinion or choosing one band over another. We can all grow as a group too.

Hoping Brooklyn & Dad are together CybrKhatru's Avatar

Jay, that's fantastic. Wish I had written it.
    The Playground Of Sound - on DEEP NUGGETS RADIO - http://deepnuggets.com
    Now on TUESDAYS from 6PM to 9PM US Pacific Time

NEW BAND... name to be announced.... already working on new music.

The vibe here has changed some it seems for the good. Folks just need to find a way to except both YES, stop engaging in the side talk of who did what, and just enjoy both. If you don't just talk about the one ya like and let it go with the other, don't stir the pot.
    Great thread! If any negative chat pops up we shall delete it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Enlighten View Post
    Thanks Arno. It feels like a new vibe is taking root here at Yesfans. We can be respectful and at the same time not pull any punches regarding our favorite band. It's a balance but it's possible, authenticity doesn't have to be about defending your opinion or choosing one band over another. We can all grow as a group too.
    ...is this the right timing for a chorus of 'Cumbaja'?
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

My hovercraft is full of eels Grey Wolf's Avatar

I'll light the campfire....

Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
    TEAKBOIS is Everywhere!

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

Most importantly: don't make it personal. I'm still seeing that and it's a drag. It's perfectly okay to exist in a spectrum rather than an absolute.
    "(Their current bassist looks like he's a Dungeon Master into ham radio & I love it)"
    - carrotfleur

http://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Wolf View Post
    I'll light the campfire....

My friend, you need to become more culturally literate. I don't want to be a Negative Nellie, but campfires and wooden shoes don't mix. We'll need to get one of those fake electric campfires with the faux "burning" wooden logs made out of styrofoam.
    It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man. – H.L Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Tonto Goldstein View Post
    My friend, you need to become more culturally literate. I don't want to be a Negative Nellie, but campfires and wooden shoes don't mix. We'll need to get one of those fake electric campfires with the faux "burning" wooden logs made out of styrofoam.
    ...or we could use the wooden clogs as wooden logs with a real campfire.....I mean it's only one letter difference anyway and I'm not fussy when it comes to that.....

Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post

Most importantly: don't make it personal. I'm still seeing that and it's a drag. It's perfectly okay to exist in a spectrum rather than an absolute.
    I get what you say. I find it difficult to let go and turn the other cheek when others make it personal on me. I realise often I should know better, but as they say no one is without fault....

yea there are some here that have to make it personal. PLEASE STOP. The train in headed towards the station folks, lets enjoy the ride, not bicker about stuff we CAN NOT CHANGE.

It's perfectly okay to exist in a spectrum rather than an absolute.
    That's quite nice.

...It's perfectly okay to exist in a spectrum rather than an absolute.
    You mean it's ok if other people have different opinions than our own? That we don't have to force our viewpoint down everyone else's throats? What kind of radical conspiracy is this?! Wait until Big Brother finds out, girl are you going to be in trouble. :-)

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

Why do you think I'm wearing this tinfoil overcoat, man? I know they're looking for me!
    "(Their current bassist looks like he's a Dungeon Master into ham radio & I love it)"
    - carrotfleur

http://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

ok folks, back to the SUBJECT of this thread please.

Quote Originally Posted by 1yesfan View Post
    ok folks, back to the SUBJECT of this thread please.
    the two post made before yours were humorous in intent and execution as far as I can tell and by forum members that actually respect one another. No need to overreact.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast