Google

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Steve on playing bass at hall...interesting

Yesfan

Steve on playing bass at hall...interesting

Re: Steve on playing bass at hall...interesting

Wow, really throwing Wakeman under the bus there. If that is true, then it is a shame.

I think everyone has already said their peace on this, I'm going to "try" and resist getting drawn in for a change!

E
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

mmmm not a happy man still re RW spot at RRHOF and putting out there info to embarrass RW

There is probably so much we don't know, the wounds are old and deep. The events that transpired at the RRHoF were just another in a long line of events that have happened over the years that have divided these guys.

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

I'm not surprised Steve said that. I think somewhere between this statement and what Scotty shared with us is what transpired. It's important to remember, though, that Rick was aware he was going over the limit - unless he literally could not see the screens around the venue which were displaying a message that he was running out of time. I saw numerous photos on Instagram of that message being displayed.

But yes, this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Enlighten View Post
    The events that transpired at the RRHoF were just another in a long line of events that have happened over the years that have divided these guys.
    "(Their current bassist looks like he's a Dungeon Master into ham radio & I love it)"
    - carrotfleur

http://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

Long Island New York, but a Brooklyn Italian at heart

There is probably so much we don't know, the wounds are old and deep. The events that transpired at the RRHoF were just another in a long line of events that have happened over the years that have divided these guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    I'm not surprised Steve said that. I think somewhere between this statement and what Scotty shared with us is what transpired. It's important to remember, though, that Rick was aware he was going over the limit - unless he literally could not see the screens around the venue which were displaying a message that he was running out of time. I saw numerous photos on Instagram of that message being displayed.

But yes, this:

And as it usually happens, there is the two sides of the story and the real truth. All of this par for the course, the history of this band as mentioned here has long old deep wounds. Would it really be Yes if they didn't have some sort of this happening after they finally get inducted? haha ...no.
    So when we do concerts with any Yes music, I always say, there’s certain things you have to play that Chris played because without those notes, the voice doesn’t sing correctly. - Jon Anderson

For me, it's Jon Anderson's distinctive, light but husky vocal that is as characteristic of their sound as anything - Andy MacIntyre

nothing new here really.
    "YES" - Music that could make God cry with joy. Either you get it or you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by 1yesfan View Post
    nothing new here really.
    indeed.
    So when we do concerts with any Yes music, I always say, there’s certain things you have to play that Chris played because without those notes, the voice doesn’t sing correctly. - Jon Anderson

For me, it's Jon Anderson's distinctive, light but husky vocal that is as characteristic of their sound as anything - Andy MacIntyre

does seem that Geddy chose not to play on Owner. i wonder why?

I think it was nice that Steve cared enough to really think of Chris and pay tribute to him. He mentions it helped ease his conscience and didn't know about the others. I don't think they really gave a sh!t, obviously. And it is true, confirmed by Steve, there was a great BIG counter counting down in front of Rick, and Scotland was to say a few words, but he decided to tell a few extra jokes in honer of Chris instead. Seems with Chris gone, there is no one to be peacemaker and settle down the big egos and little rifts to get down to just playing some good old Yes music... Shame it has to be the way it is, especially for the 50th. I know Chris wanted to bring everyone together for something special. The other guys really don't give a rip and are happy in their cozy little corners. I don't care about grudges and off stage politics, it happens with many bands. But the fact they can't just get on stage and play YES MUSIC, is pretty weak. The resentments and grudges obviously matter more. It really is not that hard to get on stage and play great music with people you don't like off the stage... They had done it for years. But now the pragmatic peacemaker is gone. Oh, and he was a decent bassist and singer too

Geddy, Steve (on bass and guitar), Jon, and Alan, were the highlights of the performance for me. As well as hearing a hole band sound more like Yes than the 2 bands out there now.

Quote Originally Posted by 1yesfan View Post
    does seem that Geddy chose not to play on Owner. i wonder why?
    Gotta give the man kudos for his taste.

Steve did all the right things that night. Let's keep it at that.
    ReAwaken (after the Bethlehem Sands concert 2016):
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Square View Post
    Gotta give the man kudos for his taste.
    Taste? RUSH did some stinker tunes also if that is what you are eluding to with him not playing on OWNER.

That sums it up pretty well, Jay. Even those people that are more "in the know" than the rest of us should probably be careful about developing any really strong opinions - these divisions didn't happen in a vacuum, and they didn't happen only recently. These are very long standing, multi-character relationships that are a combination of friendship, business, creativity etc etc, and fraught with politics, agendas, 'management', media, and public scrutiny. They are incredibly complicated relationships by any standard. Anyone that has formed a strong opinion about any of it because they think they "know the story" probably only really understand a tiny fraction of what's gone on. And even when certain musicians over the years have said that they were "taking the high road", that needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Or maybe a truckload.
    -Pete

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    Steve did all the right things that night.
    He absolutely did.
    "(Their current bassist looks like he's a Dungeon Master into ham radio & I love it)"
    - carrotfleur

http://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    Steve did all the right things that night. Let's keep it at that.
    Different opinions on that. I wouldn't keep it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by rePete View Post
    That sums it up pretty well, Jay. Even those people that are more "in the know" than the rest of us should probably be careful about developing any really strong opinions - these divisions didn't happen in a vacuum, and they didn't happen only recently. These are very long standing, multi-character relationships that are a combination of friendship, business, creativity etc etc, and fraught with politics, agendas, 'management', media, and public scrutiny. They are incredibly complicated relationships by any standard. Anyone that has formed a strong opinion about any of it because they think they "know the story" probably only really understand a tiny fraction of what's gone on. And even when certain musicians over the years have said that they were "taking the high road", that needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Or maybe a truckload.
    Yes and no. I get that we can not judge about their interpersonal relationships and that they are complicated and that we haven't and probably never will see and grasp the full complex scale on that.

On the other hand what happened on stage at the RRHOF happened for all to see..........
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

Quote Originally Posted by YESOLA View Post
    Different opinions on that. I wouldn't keep it at that.
    I would be interested to know that different opinion. His speech was a courteous one and so was, as this piece of interview clearly demonstrate, his bass playing Owner.

YES and YES , two YES's from me

Quote Originally Posted by Yessiree View Post
    Wow, really throwing Wakeman under the bus there. If that is true, then it is a shame.
    --
    He did it to honour Chris and as he plays a 4001 on all his home recordings , he learnt all the Owner parts that Chris would play note by note
    What Rick did has already been discussed as there is no point going there
    What Steve Howe did for Chris Squire was a great tribute
    Lets concentrate on that
    Well done Steve Howe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast