Google

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolling Stone thinks Yes will reunite? Huh??

Rolling Stone thinks Yes will reunite? Huh??

Did anyone else see, or post, this article? I tried to last week, but the yesfans site was down. I find it a strange, and an unlikely take. But they seem to think the two Yes sides coming together next year for the 50 is likely. I just see no way. They also seem to think the Journey re-union is impossible. I feel like they are flipped on these opinions: if anything Journey is showing some signs of a possible reunion with Perry, but Yes shows all signs of two camps never to get together. But do they know something I don't? I just think RS doesn't have their finger on the pulse here.

Full Article:
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...d-more-w500214

Quote re:Yes:
    "Their 50th anniversary is next year, and a reunion tour is a safe bet. After all, a Yes divided against itself cannot stand."
    Last edited by Yessiree; 09-05-2017 at 02:26 PM.

Re: Rolling Stone thinks Yes will reunite? Huh??

Well the divided YES seems to be doing pretty good thus far.
    "YES" - Music that could make God cry with joy. Either you get it or you don't.

I'd take it with a grain of salt, doesn't feel like a lot of substance there.

Everything works better with Music! M-Class Planet's Avatar
    Clydebank, wishing everyday I was living in Nashville

no meat. just a trivial bit of not-journalism.
    This never happens - Me; I had Pizza last night; it tasted soooo good. Other guy; I hate Pizza! it sucks! Me; oh man, now my pizza last night didn't taste good.
    So why do people think this should happen - Me; Man, I listend to 90125 last night. I loved it! Other guy; I hate 90125, it sucks!
    Me; Oh man, now I didn't love it!

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

Yeah I read that article the other day and thought: WTF dude.
    "(Their current bassist looks like he's a Dungeon Master into ham radio & I love it)"
    - carrotfleur

http://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

Long Island New York, but a Brooklyn Italian at heart

It obviously seems highly unlikely at this point 50th could be an interesting motivator...one thing in the Yesworld that I have always held to, is never say never. Nothing would surprise me either way.
    So when we do concerts with any Yes music, I always say, there’s certain things you have to play that Chris played because without those notes, the voice doesn’t sing correctly. - Jon Anderson

For me, it's Jon Anderson's distinctive, light but husky vocal that is as characteristic of their sound as anything - Andy MacIntyre

Not. Gonna. Happen.
    -Pete

just dont see it happening. turns out there is enough room in the world for TWO YES, that happen to be doing well.
    "YES" - Music that could make God cry with joy. Either you get it or you don't.

That can is empty. Discount Ministry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Enlighten View Post
    I'd take it with a grain of salt, doesn't feel like a lot of substance there.
    In the really old daze there were a lot more substances there at RS.

Nothing is misguided to it's creators, only the recipients who didn't want the expectation ruined for them.

Is this some kind of sick joke? Tonto Goldstein's Avatar

Yeah well, Rolling Stone thinks Eddie Van Halen and Keith Richards are better guitarists than Steve Howe...so there's that. :-)
    It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man. – H.L Mencken
    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. – Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Tonto Goldstein View Post
    Yeah well, Rolling Stone thinks Eddie Van Halen and Keith Richards are better guitarists than Steve Howe...so there's that. :-)
    They think Bob Dylan and Neil Young are better guitarists too but as DM said, the substances may have clouded their perception a bit.

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

What's interesting to me is I would argue that Steve and EVH are equally idiosyncratic thoroughly original players, it's just that one of them has been imitated to death while the other remains mostly pristine in terms of the cultural relevancy of his own voice.
    "(Their current bassist looks like he's a Dungeon Master into ham radio & I love it)"
    - carrotfleur

http://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

They think Bob Dylan and Neil Young are better guitarists too but as DM said, the substances may have clouded their perception a bit.
    The substance abuse theory can only explain so much. They also had Angus Young and Johnny f#$%ing Ramone ranked way higher than Steve. If they ingested enough substance to make that happen, then they'd be stone dead by now. I think they drew names out of a hat. :-)
    It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man. – H.L Mencken

The substance abuse theory can only explain so much. They also had Angus Young and Johnny f#$%ing Ramone ranked way higher than Steve. If they ingested enough substance to make that happen, then they'd be stone dead by now. I think they drew names out of a hat. :-)
    Yup, well they love them some punk and they love them some three chord rock and roll but they hate them some progressive rock.

Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    What's interesting to me is I would argue that Steve and EVH are equally idiosyncratic thoroughly original players, it's just that one of them has been imitated to death while the other remains mostly pristine in terms of the cultural relevancy of his own voice.
    You're probably right about that. I'm basing my opinion on conversations I had with a college friend, who was the best musician I ever personally knew. He did these cool reinventions of Bach concertos on electric guitar, the dude could play absolutely anything. He used to show us how easy it was to imitate EVH's arpeggio style. To him, it was just a gimmick. Whereas he felt Steve's playing was really unique and technically strong. Of course, he dropped out of school and joined a Police cover band so what did he really know?

Yup, well they love them some punk and they love them some three chord rock and roll but they hate them some progressive rock.
    As usual you're spot on...don't make them think for gawd's sake, they hate that.

As usual you're spot on...don't make them think for gawd's sake, they hate that.
    And of course they would say that bands like Yes overthought rock and roll and screwed everything up.

Now in the encyclopedia with the term 'pompous' goes a picture of the sleeve of Tales From Topographic Oceans......oops...wrong forum...
    ReAwaken (after the Bethlehem Sands concert 2016):
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

Yesfan

Reunion tour is a "safe bet", eh Rolling Stone? I'll take that bet who's holding the money...

I've tried and I can't put together a meaningful combination of people in my head from these two bands that I would actually want to see play live. I would like to hear the two Jons sing together and feel that some magic might come from that. Rick and Trevor have their moments but I don't see either of them adding anything meaningful in a reunion scenario with Steve and Geoff already on stage. The only thing that I can see changing anyone's mind at this point is the promise of a bigger paycheck, but as others have said would a combined band actually make more money that two separate bands?

Quote Originally Posted by kkleinschmidt View Post
    Reunion tour is a "safe bet", eh Rolling Stone? I'll take that bet who's holding the money...

I've tried and I can't put together a meaningful combination of people in my head from these two bands that I would actually want to see play live. I would like to hear the two Jons sing together and feel that some magic might come from that. Rick and Trevor have their moments but I don't see either of them adding anything meaningful in a reunion scenario with Steve and Geoff already on stage. The only thing that I can see changing anyone's mind at this point is the promise of a bigger paycheck, but as others have said would a combined band actually make more money that two separate bands?
    They could be a bit more clever and each have a set as their own entity and then maybe do three songs together as the cherry on top.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast