Google

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Full version of I am Waiting Yesfeat.

Re: Full version of I am Waiting Yesfeat.

Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    I would agree with this assessment. At this point, the only song I'm really hoping for next year is "Shoot High, Aim Low" - I think they could do that one, even as it seems there's "nothing" for Rick to do, but he could add some texture to it. Otherwise, again, I don't want to get my hopes too high regarding what might or might not end up in the setlist, it's just too emotionally-fraught of a process for me.
    Shoot High Aim Low is definitely possible and I hope for that one as well, as it is my favourite Yeswest track.
    ReAwaken (after the Bethlehem Sands concert 2016):
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrunt View Post
    I don't know why they would bother. I saw the David Gilmour film last night, and I saw his tour last year. During the new songs the audience either a) went to sleep or b) went to get a drink or c) went to take a toilet break. The songs which got the crowd going were the old classics. The new stuff just isn't anywhere near as good.

The only person who has got near to carrying this off is Steve Hackett, but still his new stuff is not a patch on the classic Genesis.

Why would they bother?
    Well I can say David's viewpoint is that he will not tour unless he's got new music to promote; he prefers the old-school approach. I felt like he didn't pick the right new songs to play. Most people were not fond at all of "The Girl in the Yellow Dress" and "Today" as stylistic deviations, for example. I think he might have done far better to keep the new songs separate from the PF material, and the audience would have adjusted their expectations accordingly, like they did when he toured On an Island.

Personally, I'm fine with ARW performing new music, but I think they're going to bow to the mindset you just proffered, which is to acknowledge that the audience is really there for the hits. And I imagine the promoter(s) have that expectation as well.
    "(Their current bassist looks like he's a Dungeon Master into ham radio & I love it)"
    - carrotfleur

http://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ceasar's Palace View Post
    I don't hear any serious off key bits, but I do wish Trevor would have taken more liberties
    with the lead guitar. Once the main theme is established, there is plenty of opportunity for some
    Jacaranda style noodling. I hope he does more of that on the new music.
    I really like all the different electric guitars and tones on Jacaranda besides his usual 2/3. Busting out a hollow body or a few others might break up the monotony a bit. The strat doesn't quite sound like it did, the neck that is. Oh yea, its 20 + years later! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    Back to the recording:

Their version of Heart of the Sunrise (that's for you Relayerone... ) still sends shivers down my spine. Best version in 20 years IMO, better than the classic lineup did on the 2002/2003 tours and better than on subsequent tours from those.
    I really liked HOTS, especially when JA hits the big notes towards the end. So cool! But I didn't think he or the band did it better than Yes, especially the 2002/3 era. You got that buddy!??

Hearts is certainly a possibility at some point in time, but my gut feeling tells me that I'm Running will never be played. They dropped it after only 4 times on the BG tour mainly because, and Luna can an will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong , it proved too difficult to execute properly live. 30 years onwards I can't see it would be easier, actually probably the opposite.
    Hearts would be sweet. Love to hear them play it.

Regarding I'm Running, that would be incredible! It's the holy trinity of Yes, they have NO excuse! Seriously, would love to hear Rick's take on it and you know Lee and Lou Molina could do it some justice...

Shoot High Aim Low is definitely possible and I hope for that one as well, as it is my favourite Yeswest track.
    Love to hear this as well. Seems this group of ARW could rock out a version of Real Love. It Can Happen is SO Squire heavy, especially the vocal, not sure how that would go down. Maybe it would be cool, who knows... But I like the way they are playing I Am Waiting and what Rick is bringing to it. And he's even using cool sounds!! Great to see ARW get better and better... Bring on the NEW MUSIC boys!

Quote Originally Posted by somissound View Post
    Regarding I'm Running, that would be incredible! It's the holy trinity of Yes, they have NO excuse! Seriously, would love to hear Rick's take on it and you know Lee and Lou Molina could do it some justice...
    I would love to hear this too Erik, I just don't know how they would pull off those wall of sound vocals at the end of the tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Enlighten View Post
    I would love to hear this too Erik, I just don't know how they would pull off those wall of sound vocals at the end of the tune.
    Lip sync??
    Sometimes in music, the songs can transcend the band members themselves - I think Yes is such a band.

Lip sync??
    Get Wakey a vocoder damn it! Or he could sample it. Another very Squire heavy vocal part... But 4 guys singing super loud with the crowds help might be cool. I'm Running would really be something though! Not exactly a stroll through the legacy tunes, is it. Everyone might have a vein or two popping out of their foreheads. LOL

Yesfan

he can't be that bad of a singer; he went to music school, he must have had to sing at some point! that said, judging by his choice of singers, if he thinks he is bad, he's probably atrocious lol

dreamland connecticut. to the left of the garden of geda

So if you want chips & fish, and the chips is burned and the fish overcooked you don't have the right to criticise anymore because after all you wanted chips and fish, right?
    under cooked-over cooked...it does not matter if Wakeman is involved.

I'm still pissed they didn't put the FULL version of the calling on the album... the part missing is the best part for pete's sake.

still undefined

Lip sync??
    They cheated in the eighties when they did "Leave It" live so I guess anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by crotale2112 View Post
    I'm still pissed they didn't put the FULL version of the calling on the album... the part missing is the best part for pete's sake.
    Yup, it's such a better piece of music with that dropping down, trippy part. Trev was pissed at himself too after the fact about cutting it out.

dreamland connecticut. to the left of the garden of geda

Yup, it's such a better piece of music with that dropping down, trippy part. Trev was pissed at himself too after the fact about cutting it out.
    this version is amazing... I love it, the center part is beautiful and Trevor's guitar sounds nice. For those who have not heard the full version, give it a listen :)

[IMG][/IMG]

to me the part that was cut out gave that song it's classic prog feel... it had that classic Yes style center "zen" zone, when the song goes into a foggy mystical place, much like the center part of Close to the edge or the beginning of Soon.

still undefined

Quote Originally Posted by crotale2112 View Post
    under cooked-over cooked...it does not matter if Wakeman is involved.

I'm still pissed they didn't put the FULL version of the calling on the album.
    .. the part missing is the best part for pete's sake.
    They did on reissues of the CD.

They did on reissues of the CD.
    I really like those moments in earlier Yes music where they take quieter, meditative interludes without a fixed tonal centre. They're occasions of reflection, but also transition. In the case of the extended version of 'The Calling', which was originally on the Japan-only release of 'Talk', it's pleasant enough but doesn't seem to contribute to the development or flow of the song.
    More on my forthcoming book, Solid Mental Grace: Listening to the music of Yes (early 2018): https://www.facebook.com/solidmentalgrace/

Quote Originally Posted by simonbarrow View Post
    I really like those moments in earlier Yes music where they take quieter, meditative interludes without a fixed tonal centre. They're occasions of reflection, but also transition. In the case of the extended version of 'The Calling', which was originally on the Japan-only release of 'Talk', it's pleasant enough but doesn't seem to contribute to the development or flow of the song.
    My feelings exactly.

At Wolf Trap this week, I thought am Waiting was a highlight, in fact THE highlight

Good improv, good re-invention

Hoping to find a recording

E
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

YES and YES , two YES's from me

Originally Posted by Bluegrunt
    I don't know why they would bother. I saw the David Gilmour film last night, and I saw his tour last year. During the new songs the audience either a) went to sleep or b) went to get a drink or c) went to take a toilet break. The songs which got the crowd going were the old classics. The new stuff just isn't anywhere near as good.

The only person who has got near to carrying this off is Steve Hackett, but still his new stuff is not a patch on the classic Genesis.

Why would they bother?

--

Reply :

I also went to see the David Gilmour film too
    During the new songs my audiance loved them and appreciated every note
    I find your criticism of the new songs a bit harsh , rattle that lock as a new album is fantastic for a 71 year old
    In all honesty David Gilmour knocks spots many of the artists today
    Lets see what ARW come up with shall we and maybe you can put your postive spin on that too ?

And the Spiders from Mars Frumious B's Avatar

I didn’t hear that extended version of “The Calling” until years after the fact and when I finally did I couldn’t figure out what the fuss was about. The ambient section is pretty generic and adds nothing worthwhile to the song IMHO.
    "...holding hands while the walls come tumbling down"

War ... just breaks the soul Bluegrunt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodfish1 View Post
    I find your criticism of the new songs a bit harsh , rattle that lock as a new album is fantastic for a 71 year old
    Lets see what ARW come up with shall we and maybe you can put your postive spin on that too ?
    Crumbs. I was just making a comment. Didn't mean to upset anyone.
    Lame, naive, laughable and stupid

Dr. Fish will see you now. luna65's Avatar

I like either version of "The Calling" - it has merit either way, IMO. What I don't like is the way they edited it for the single.
    "(Their current bassist looks like he's a Dungeon Master into ham radio & I love it)"
    - carrotfleur

http://rabinesque.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by simonbarrow View Post
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Yesongs View Post
    At Wolf Trap this week, I thought am Waiting was a highlight, in fact THE highlight

Good improv, good re-invention

Hoping to find a recording

E
    I liked what I heard too. Thought Rick did a good job as well. A fresh part of the set for sure :)

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I didn’t hear that extended version of “The Calling” until years after the fact and when I finally did I couldn’t figure out what the fuss was about. The ambient section is pretty generic and adds nothing worthwhile to the song IMHO.
    I love trippy mellow parts of songs. I don't know if it was because I was so used to the normal version, but when that ambient part hits, it seems like it's from deep left field from another song and takes the wind out of the sails and momentum completely. But I do like it, maybe as an intro to another song that could have been on the album..? Just has a random edit feel to me. But a nice part...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5